Terrified Briton flees Koh Tao after 'mafia' death threat

Jonathan Fairfield

This could all turn out to be a real acid test for the Junta. Catch the killer, punish all the back handed 'police' officers involved AND go after the family/families that threw their money about for the cover up to happen.

I know their are lots and lots of pressing issues here in Thailand, but that would be one hell of a statement of intent.

Why don't we hoist the Thais on our shoulders, too? While I like your idea, it's a dream. This is the same country that let the Red Bull heir, who was high on coke, run over and drag a police officer to death with his car. Yeah, I don't see any change coming soon, especially when it concerns foreigners.

It was wishful thinking on my part tbh. I've lived through both sides of the divides governments and now a junta. Nothing will ever really change. It's ingrained in the culture.

I bet the families on the islands have friends in all the right places, no matter who's in charge.

• Like 1

As hard as I try not to join the hysterical outpouring of conjecture, I am a little confused regarding the timing of this person's testimony: unless I am mistaken he would have known about a murder before anyone else, other than his 'assailants'.

The bodies were only discovered in the morning, but he was yelling and shouting about it at 4am? Nobody finds it strange that he is claiming that they wanted to frame him for a murder nobody knew had happened?

My guess is a bad mushroom trip and an overactive imagination. He did have a run in with the locals but not how he describes...

The murders and this incident DIDN'T happen doing the same night, so actually that causes your confusion!

Edited by Iumentum

Once safely back home in his parents house in Scotland, the subject sold his story to various newspapers, wrote a book, made a couple of embarrassing speaking appearances in nearby pubs and subsequently died a tragically young death. The Coroner recorded an open verdict although in his closing statements he did make reference to the vast amounts of illegal substances found nearby!

Next.

I see how you reach 15k posts.

Attention seeking <deleted>. Worse is trying to catapult his dreams of fame at the expense of the death of the victims

Another jump to conclusion mat fan who will totally dismiss the possibility of this incident.

You try to make Sean look as if he is doing a very repulsive thing, without knowing any facts if he did or not. But what is really repulsive here, is guys like you who totally dismiss the possibility, instead of being objective and hope that this might actually help the investigation, so the murder victims can rest in peace and relatives can at least be able to see justice.

Shame on you!

Who are you?

You look cheerful.

No vested interest?

I tend to agree with the guys that say this story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Name names or shut up.

Is this some Scottish warped vengeance on Brits ?

These conspiracy theories are horrible.

As for this guys so called murderers i bet they have people to vouch for them

Does he ?

Considering they died that night and hours after his arrival.

Lets examine this flippant guy first .

Then move on

As hard as I try not to join the hysterical outpouring of conjecture, I am a little confused regarding the timing of this person's testimony: unless I am mistaken he would have known about a murder before anyone else, other than his 'assailants'.

The bodies were only discovered in the morning, but he was yelling and shouting about it at 4am? Nobody finds it strange that he is claiming that they wanted to frame him for a murder nobody knew had happened?

My guess is a bad mushroom trip and an overactive imagination. He did have a run in with the locals but not how he describes...

The murders and this incident DIDN'T happen doing the same night, so actually that causes your confusion!

Posted Yesterday, 20:21

By Tom Phillips, in Koh Tao, Thailand

A friend of murdered British backpacker David Miller flees the Thai island of Koh Tao after claiming local intimidation as police want every man on the 2,000 population island to provide DNA for testing
A petrified British man has fled the Thai island where two British backpackers were murdered last week after claiming the "mafia" was trying to execute him.
Sean McAnna, 25, from Shotts near Glasgow, was a friend of David Miller, the tourist whose body was found last Monday on Koh Tao island along with that of Hannah Witheridge.
Mr McAnna claimed that two Thai men, who he believes may have crucial information about the murders, threatened to kill him in the early hours of Monday morning while he was drinking at a bar on Sairee beach near to where their disfigured bodies were discovered.

Wow, there are a lot of cynics on this thread. To think that the people who live on Koh Tao want anything less than justice for the killers of these two people is mind-blowing. Keep in mind, we LIVE here and can't stand the thought that there are people living amongst who are capable of such an atrocity. We want these people caught for the families of the victims, for our own safety, and to a much lesser degree because we have built lives and businesses here and we will undoubtedly suffer from the negative attention.

All of the speculation and the actual reporting of this story in the media has been terribly insensitive and counter-productive. The owner of the resort was one of the first on the scene because he owns a business adjacent to it. Reports that he hasn't submitted a DNA test are false. He was one of the first to be tested.

Talk of a mafia-run island is also incorrect. Some of our local business people have more influence than others because they have more land, money, family interests, etc. These are the people that get elected into government on Koh Tao as well as in many other places in the world. We don't have any history of tourist murders on the island. Drugs are not as prevalent here as they are in many other places in Thailand, and all of the Full Moon party references apply to Koh Phangan, not Koh Tao.

Sean McAnna has not been here working as a barman for 18 months here. In fact, he only recently arrived. He spent some time here in the past and wasn't able to maintain employment anywhere for long on the island. He has been all over the place with his views of what happened. His first post since the tragedy occurred (since removed) was of how sad he was and that he was supposed to meet David Miller on the night of the murders, but he fell asleep in his bungalow. Now he somehow seems to have witnessed the killings and can ID the killers. And if he did witness the murders, why is he only just now speaking up? We have had literally hundreds of mainland police combing this island for a week. If he felt uncomfortable speaking about it because he feared for what would happen to him if he did, why not leave the island and contact the British Embassy who could then keep him safe while he spoke with police in Bangkok or even at home in the UK? Instead, he drunkenly walked into AC Bar at night, alone and made accusations against the owner. And why would he post such garbage on Facebook instead of speaking to the authorities? These are just a few of the reasons that we question his mental state. He seems to be quite illogical in his actions and more than a little bit disturbed. Hopefully, he gets the help he needs and the authorities will get back to searching for the killers...

I thought Sean was the guy police were looking to talk to a few days back described as "guitarman" who was seen on the beach around the time of the murders?

Posted Yesterday, 20:21

By Tom Phillips, in Koh Tao, Thailand

A friend of murdered British backpacker David Miller flees the Thai island of Koh Tao after claiming local intimidation as police want every man on the 2,000 population island to provide DNA for testing
A petrified British man has fled the Thai island where two British backpackers were murdered last week after claiming the "mafia" was trying to execute him.
Sean McAnna, 25, from Shotts near Glasgow, was a friend of David Miller, the tourist whose body was found last Monday on Koh Tao island along with that of Hannah Witheridge.
Mr McAnna claimed that two Thai men, who he believes may have crucial information about the murders, threatened to kill him in the early hours of Monday morning while he was drinking at a bar on Sairee beach near to where their disfigured bodies were discovered.

The murder happened more than 1 week ago, this incident happened monday 1 week after the murder..... got it?

I am starting to have my doubts about Sean's accusations too. Take a look at this video of him singing with his guitar, seems like a wacky guy to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKUvkPHYo&feature=player_embedded

Are you for real?

He's performing a Pixies cover, and pretty well too, I think.

Agreed, thats a classic Pixies song and in good taste

Wow, there are a lot of cynics on this thread. To think that the people who live on Koh Tao want anything less than justice for the killers of these two people is mind-blowing. Keep in mind, we LIVE here and can't stand the thought that there are people living amongst who are capable of such an atrocity. We want these people caught for the families of the victims, for our own safety, and to a much lesser degree because we have built lives and businesses here and we will undoubtedly suffer from the negative attention.

All of the speculation and the actual reporting of this story in the media has been terribly insensitive and counter-productive. The owner of the resort was one of the first on the scene because he owns a business adjacent to it. Reports that he hasn't submitted a DNA test are false. He was one of the first to be tested.

Talk of a mafia-run island is also incorrect. Some of our local business people have more influence than others because they have more land, money, family interests, etc. These are the people that get elected into government on Koh Tao as well as in many other places in the world. We don't have any history of tourist murders on the island. Drugs are not as prevalent here as they are in many other places in Thailand, and all of the Full Moon party references apply to Koh Phangan, not Koh Tao.

Sean McAnna has not been here working as a barman for 18 months here. In fact, he only recently arrived. He spent some time here in the past and wasn't able to maintain employment anywhere for long on the island. He has been all over the place with his views of what happened. His first post since the tragedy occurred (since removed) was of how sad he was and that he was supposed to meet David Miller on the night of the murders, but he fell asleep in his bungalow. Now he somehow seems to have witnessed the killings and can ID the killers. And if he did witness the murders, why is he only just now speaking up? We have had literally hundreds of mainland police combing this island for a week. If he felt uncomfortable speaking about it because he feared for what would happen to him if he did, why not leave the island and contact the British Embassy who could then keep him safe while he spoke with police in Bangkok or even at home in the UK? Instead, he drunkenly walked into AC Bar at night, alone and made accusations against the owner. And why would he post such garbage on Facebook instead of speaking to the authorities? These are just a few of the reasons that we question his mental state. He seems to be quite illogical in his actions and more than a little bit disturbed. Hopefully, he gets the help he needs and the authorities will get back to searching for the killers...

I thought Sean was the guy police were looking to talk to a few days back described as "guitarman" who was seen on the beach around the time of the murders?

Was he?

Well they should be able to get CCTV footage of this incident and witnesses.

Because its a load of bullshit.

Not sure why this man had to get involved as it has just muddied the waters. Self publicity? One of those people that feels the need to attach themselves to a grisly crime?

Did he really know the victims?

The photo of him sitting in the freezer is from 2013 so I feel his whole story is BS as well.

The murder happened more than 1 week ago, this incident happened monday 1 week after the murder..... got it?

Okay - puzzle solved smile.png Now I am confused why he waited a week... facepalm.gif

Note to self - don't post unless you have some sensational theory pulled out of thin air!

Only a few knows what this guy has told the police about the incident pre-murder where he and the 2 murder victims was involved in an incident where the female victim was sexually harassed by 2 thai guys.

I don't know what investigators know, neither does most posters here.

Also, he has been "loud" about this murder doing the past week. This was not the first time he as "spoken" about it.

However, he cannot decide when and if so, he will be approached with death treats, which is what this incident is about.

So he DIDN'T wait a week, the 2 thai guys from this incident have waited a week.

Okay - puzzle solved smile.png Now I am confused why he waited a week... facepalm.gif

Note to self - don't post unless you have some sensational theory pulled out of thin air!

Only a few knows what this guy has told the police about the incident pre-murder where he and the 2 murder victims was involved in an incident where the female victim was sexually harassed by 2 thai guys.

Also, he has been "loud" about this murder doing the past week. This was not the first time he as "spoken" about it.

However, he cannot decide when and if so, he will be approached with death treats, which is what this incident is about.

So he DIDN'T wait a week, the 2 thai guys from this incident have waited a week.

You seem to be a "friend" of this man.

Is it true he arrived the day of the murders (Yes or No will do)

Has he taken drugs in the last week?

Where was he at the time of murders?

Once safely back home in his parents house in Scotland, the subject sold his story to various newspapers, wrote a book, made a couple of embarrassing speaking appearances in nearby pubs and subsequently died a tragically young death. The Coroner recorded an open verdict although in his closing statements he did make reference to the vast amounts of illegal substances found nearby!

Next.

You think bout that all by yerself?

You seem to be a "friend" of this man.

Is it true he arrived the day of the murders (Yes or No will do)

Has he taken drugs in the last week?

Where was he at the time of murders?

Not sure why you would get such idea, but i can only assume. If you even cared to read my comments, you would see that i don't dismiss the possibility that Sean might be full of BS, i just DO NOT dismiss the possibility that there is credibility in his story.

Try to remain objective if you expect to have a debate with me, because i am not going to waste much time on people like you with such ridiculous comments.

Where where you at the time of the killing? You have a reason why you want Sean to be silenced? Are you from Koh Tao? See, i can go down that road too!

• Like 1

I'm a sceptic too. I might be unfair to the young man but how can he work as a 'barman' for 18 months on the island?. Work permit? Sounds fishy to me. thumbsup.gif

Many western barmen on Koh Tao and other islands don't have permits, what does that have to do with his credibility as a murder witness?

If true, such a person would be a self-admitted criminal, guilty of violating immigration and labor laws. Maybe tax laws, too.

Andy Lines (twitter)

Owner of one of most popular bars on Sairee Beach just left Police HQ tells Mirror he has been swabbed twice now - and is "in the clear."

wow the test is that quick lol, and why the need to test twice lol

Owner definitely running the show- Bet the murderer is a patsy who the owners have all agreed on!

This case should be run by a completely independent police force

Your thread gives me the feeling that the thai guy,owner of AC, bar sits right behind you while you writing....

May you can ask him what he was doing on the cctv(twice,running and walking) in the crime night,why he is hiding his DNA and name and

why your peaceful non mafia paradise island was mentioned by

Andy Lines @andylines 4 Std.

Just discovered - a few years back - a prominent island businessman was shot dead in same shop Sean McAnna was hiding in from "Thai mafia".

So we know he worked illegally prior on the Island for 18 months.

Arrived the day of the murders by sheer coincidence ?

Took drugs at times?

Accuses Thais of the crimes ?

And his friends claim "he may be Bullshiting"?

His friends? Seriously, get a grip of yourself and your conspiracies!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself to pick a side without knowing if there is truth to his story or not. If this incident can help the investigation catch the killers, you should be happy that Sean would have the balls to actually speak up!

You're obnoxious!

• Like 2

So we know he worked illegally prior on the Island for 18 months.

Arrived the day of the murders by sheer coincidence ?

Took drugs at times?

Accuses Thais of the crimes ?

And his friends claim "he may be Bullshiting"?

His friends? Seriously, get a grip of yourself and your conspiracies!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself to pick a side without knowing if there is truth to his story or not. If this incident can help the investigation catch the killers, you should be happy that Sean would have the balls to actually speak up!

You're obnoxious!

I can see your point. However would you agree that Sean should be locked up if it is proven that he was lying? How would you feel if someone publicly accused you of a murder without providing a shred of credible evidence? Let's assume you are/were innocent.