Vientiane, Laos Non-Imm O Visa (to apply for retirement extension in Thailand) - Status Update

Some updates of possible benefit to others as we write from Vientiane after having had our applications accepted this morning - and hoping of course to have the passports returned tomorrow with visa stamps. (Please note we are probably not typical, mainstream applicants – my wife is, like me, Brit, and we are both “retired” although not of official pensionable age.)

Lao Immigration –

• A pre-completed, internet-downloaded Visa on Arrival form is not acceptable. In spite of the fact that is identical to the blank form handed out by the boys in green. So don’t forget a pen and some mosquito repellent as you have to sit down and rewrite the application.
  • Handing over the fee of 2 x $35 in crisp new notes I was abruptly challenged to advise the exchange rate used when converting to dollars. I presume that was because 1,500 baht is better to the Lao’s than $35 in the exchange market. In my case the answer was “No idea, I bought the dollars with sterling in the UK”. 1-0 to the Away Team. “OK – you pay another $2.” 1-1.

Thai Consulate –

• Small numbers there – no more than 50 in the first hour or two, thankfully. Take an umbrella though.
  • Applications with photos, passports, passport copies, Lao visa copies handed over.
  • “What you do in Thailand?” “I am retired.” “Where is your document?” “What document?” ….. this was an aggressive exchange which was circular for some time until the penny dropped. He was asking me how I was sustaining myself in Thailand and had presumably expected a UK government pension statement – or whatever people get at that stage. I had my 800k Baht pass book, copies thereof, and a UK bank statement in reserve to show him (as opposed to the “income flow” line of questioning he had hit me with). I was then asked for a rental contract. I don’t have one but did have my Yellow Book and copies available as back-up. No more words, staple everything together, dismissed to the next counter to pay the fee.

This was more difficult than past advice and posts on this website had suggested. But in fairness, the importance of being prepared with backup got us through. Maybe this is just part of the general move to vet applications more critically, even in Laos.

Fingers crossed tomorrow.

Thanks for the update and lets hope it all go well. I go next week but with tour company so they do all work.But I will also take all doc,rental contract,bank book,letter from bank just to be safe.Good luck and please let us know how it went.

Edited by INV

Update - visas stamped in passport. Probably about 60-80 people there that day. Checking out at Laos Immmigration was amazingly shambolic. Thai Immigration was better and no issues there until coming out the other side. Harangued by one very aggressive "taxi" driver who wanted 1,000 baht to take us back to the airport. We had bought 2 x 200 baht tickets at the airport coming in and had expected to see the same minivans at Immigration waiting for passengers to take them / us back. Nowhere is sight. What do they do? Go back empty? Is there a taxi mafia running the place? Our experience pointed very much to that. Bailed out by a Japanese guy who who was driving over to Udon Thani himself. No more visa runs please, ever.

Update - visas stamped in passport. Probably about 60-80 people there that day. Checking out at Laos Immmigration was amazingly shambolic. Thai Immigration was better and no issues there until coming out the other side. Harangued by one very aggressive "taxi" driver who wanted 1,000 baht to take us back to the airport. We had bought 2 x 200 baht tickets at the airport coming in and had expected to see the same minivans at Immigration waiting for passengers to take them / us back. Nowhere is sight. What do they do? Go back empty? Is there a taxi mafia running the place? Our experience pointed very much to that. Bailed out by a Japanese guy who who was driving over to Udon Thani himself. No more visa runs please, ever.

Good to hear you got the stamp and next time go with a tour company. I done many visas trip the last 13 years and never had any issue when I go with a tour company. They do it all for you and you can relax.But good news anyway so enjoy your retirement.

• 2 months later...