Koh Tao murders: Police free bar owners and look for ex-village headman's son

webfact

Test the two sons so we can move on. With out testing Results I would so far place my money on the sons and their uncle. I think three people were involved in this crime.

My current thinking (only an idea): An argument between the uncle and the Brits at the bar happens. The uncle and two of his brother's sons confront the Brits at crime location. Matters get out of hand and they kill the man and decide they need to kill the witness also but the sons decide to rape her in the process. The uncle runs off home and the sons leave the island. The uncle is seen in the video running without shirt as it had blood on it and he was in a hurry to get away from the area.

Maybe ??

According to ThaiPBS report, above, the uncle and his brother have tested negative.

Maybe??? The uncle ran home while the sons raped the young lady. So they have two DNA samples, the two sons.....

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this from the very beginning and what I am sick of is the constant RTP bashing in this thread, and others like these.

It seems from reading peoples comments that they have years of law enforcement experience & consider themselves to be Sherlock Holmes. If you bashers think you can do a decent job then why don't you get yourself to Koh Tao and lend them a hand?

As someone who has experience in law enforcement I can tell you, investigating a murder and gathering evidence to show to the court is not easy.

How can you preserve evidence on a beach as best you can without compromising it when the sea can wash away vital bits?

How are you going to identify witnesses if none are willing to come forward?

The murder didn't occur directly underneath a CCTV camera, so how are you going to know how many suspects you're looking for or what they look like?

How are you going to lock down an island with many entry/exit points with a limited amount of officers?

What tasks are you going to prioritise when you used your finite amount of officers, and your nearest back up is 2 hours away with the sea in between?

People have been saying it's a Thai, Burmese, influential person who committed the murder. I ask you where is your evidence to support your theory? Gut feelings and hearsay don't hold up in a court of law I'm afraid.

Oh and not all Thai police officers are corrupt, so why tar them with the same brush? You guys won't like it if people say retired Farang men only come to Thailand to marry young Thai women would you?

My grandfather did not die in the line of duty on a drug raid just to be labeled bent.

Rant over …

It seems like the only real evidential lead is the seaman. Finding the match can takes hours to years, it's unfortunately just a waiting game now.

respect to you and your family who have served in police factions. i am sure you are very sincere in your service

but this case is much simpler and on a small island it happened. it is fairly clear that a coverup has been going on from day one and that the locals in Koh Tao including the police knew who was invloved

now we have Montriwat Tuwichian on video placing himself at the crime scene the night before and implicating Sean Mcanna saying that blood was cleaned up. sounds like this story would fall apart quickly under cross examination

so Montriwat Tuwichian was there at the crime scene night before? and then two hours later standing next to police next morning?

gee why dont we ask him some more questions? sounds like he knows a lot

police have named a suspect on the run but have given no name?

Montriwat Tuwichian and family clearly know where he is and are covering. only pressure on them can reveal his location.

BK post is reporting that police are "scouring" the city? time for a new photo opportunity with 100s of police smh

meanwhile police are saying "trust us a little bit longer" thats a quote

Whats that line about never trust someone who says "trust me" ????

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We all know the police have been made to look foolish throughout this investigation but I would also say the same about Thailand's English language press which has been filled with inaccuracies, conflicting stories, confusing reporting and poor use of the English language.

Not to mention the Bangkok Post used this story as a teaching tool for ESL. Disgraceful, insensitive, and disgusting Bangkok Post.

why exactly?

pray tell me how the bangkok post's use of the story differs from Thai Visa's exploitation of it: Multiple threads, endless speculation and page hits through the roof.

it is a big story in the thai news - every thai i know is following it. why not use relevant, timely and interesting material for a lesson plan?

in fact i would argue that that is the best kind of lesson plan and years ago when I was brought in to many companies to improve the conversational English of senior management it was exactly the kind of article i would have used.

As a talking point you have all manner of things to discuss there.

I wish people would read the threads they comment on. Its getting tiresome reading the same postulations and questions again and again.

And the RTP apologists? We're not Thai bashing. All my Thai friends have an equally low opinion of them. WHoever said before that the local police have been deliberately kicking their heels cos they are tight with the local Village headman are absolutely right. You could almost forgive a little incompetence, but when they have been so shamefacedly derailing it then you can't

I've been following this from the very beginning and what I am sick of is the constant RTP bashing in this thread, and others like these.

It seems from reading peoples comments that they have years of law enforcement experience & consider themselves to be Sherlock Holmes. If you bashers think you can do a decent job then why don't you get yourself to Koh Tao and lend them a hand?

As someone who has experience in law enforcement I can tell you, investigating a murder and gathering evidence to show to the court is not easy.

How can you preserve evidence on a beach as best you can without compromising it when the sea can wash away vital bits?

The murder didn't occur directly underneath a CCTV camera, so how are you going to know how many suspects you're looking for or what they look like?

How are you going to lock down an island with many entry/exit points with a limited amount of officers?

What tasks are you going to prioritise when you used your finite amount of officers, and your nearest back up is 2 hours away with the sea in between?

People have been saying it's a Thai, Burmese, influential person who committed the murder. I ask you where is your evidence to support your theory? Gut feelings and hearsay don't hold up in a court of law I'm afraid.

Oh and not all Thai police officers are corrupt, so why tar them with the same brush? You guys won't like it if people say retired Farang men only come to Thailand to marry young Thai women would you?

My grandfather did not die in the line of duty on a drug raid just to be labeled bent.

Rant over …

It seems like the only real evidential lead is the seaman. Finding the match can takes hours to years, it's unfortunately just a waiting game now.

C'mon, I have not been a Sherlock but it is not difficult to totally lock down an area within a few hours with the authority. It is also not difficult, be careful and treat every bit of evidence as if it were the most precious gem. Furthermore, it is also not difficult if you are in power of authority to detain suspects and people under suspicion instead of letting them walk out of the door. That is a given. Oh yea also this quote; 'No Thai could have committed this crime'

good grief! You have changed your tunehuh.png

essentially what you're saying now is not different to the point MJP was trying to say a couple of nights ago that you told him he should “ pipe down “whistling.gif

It's quite amusing (putting aside the actual seriousness of the events leading to this) the way the police are going about solving these murders. In a PC western country this sort of DNA mass gathering and mass detentions would not even be contemplated due to civil rights and legal wrangling. Might not be western PC but that the police have one suspect firmly in custody and are on the trail of another suggests that away from the norm they may solve a Falang murder and gain some much needed start point of respect from the western world.

Two things from this case to date come to mind. One that with a good hard kick up the backside from the Junta leader the RTP are capable enough in spite of their lack of modern crime solving resources and second that the RTP are very much in need of having that expertise and resource made available to progress their ability to get results more efficiently and professionally. Another tool in beating corruption is applying professionalism and enjoyment to ones work.

Thats bullshit. In my country, that is as western and social democratic as they get, mass gathering of DNA is very much done when a murder is discovered and an exact time and location can be found. Mass dententions wont happen, but mass interogations happen.

I think the police have turned over a new leaf and are going to pursue this case, no matter where or who it leads to. I believe it is because the army has their back; both to support them and to keep them on the straight and narrow path of righteousness.

If they can bring in the guilty parties and make a credible case against them (no matter who is their father), it will go a long way to restoring respect and confidence in the RTP.

Yes, but I hope for more. Would it not be a good time to start cleaning up local mafia's. Someone was quoted as saying yesterday that the police would also go after people that helped the kid escape. If Thailand is really lucky these local thugs sorry, leaders, will be brought down. Kao Tao is a microcosm of Thailand as a whole. Pretty much every community has these almost untouchable families, that have total control over local police, politicians and other influential posts. More often than not they are where they are because of extreme violence and intimidation. Everyone in Thailand knows who these people are but they have no one to go to. These people are the police, they are the politicians and powerful businessmen. How can Thailand change when this is how the entire country is run.

Nasty little thugs like this, that think they are above the law, exist in almost every town and city in Thailand. If the army boys are to be successful in setting Thailand on a new path they need to try to do something to stop these thugs. If they are to be really effective with this case they need to end up prosecuting several members of the family, local figures and police that were clearly trying to cover up who did this. It seems very clear that these people knew exactly who did it from the very start.

It also seems the Scots barman was the only person on the island that was prepared to speak up, which again doesn't look great for Thailand. It's hardly the first time a murder has had to be solved by a foreigner because the police didn't want to do so.

The military boys have a very long way to go to clean up the country, however, this horrific incident provides the perfect opportunity to start the process.

Test the two sons so we can move on. With out testing Results I would so far place my money on the sons and their uncle. I think three people were involved in this crime.

My current thinking (only an idea): An argument between the uncle and the Brits at the bar happens. The uncle and two of his brother's sons confront the Brits at crime location. Matters get out of hand and they kill the man and decide they need to kill the witness also but the sons decide to rape her in the process. The uncle runs off home and the sons leave the island. The uncle is seen in the video running without shirt as it had blood on it and he was in a hurry to get away from the area.

Maybe ??

According to ThaiPBS report, above, the uncle and his brother have tested negative.

Didn't they just provide DNA sample? How can that be known as negative already?

I've n idea, so I'm not sure if the reporting is accurate. They could have been released pending the results, but the results seem to have some too fast. And couldn't they find a genetic link to the sons, if this is the case?

And I thought the initial dna testing was being done in Singapore. The Thai testers have really picked up their game over the last few days!

Poor reporting and investigation all around. No wonder the TV armchair investigators are having a field day!

Rant over …

C'mon, I have not been a Sherlock but it is not difficult to totally lock down an area within a few hours with the authority. It is also not difficult, be careful and treat every bit of evidence as if it were the most precious gem. Furthermore, it is also not difficult if you are in power of authority to detain suspects and people under suspicion instead of letting them walk out of the door. That is a given. Oh yea also this quote; 'No Thai could have committed this crime'

1. Okay but locking down an area within a few hours is useless. 240 minutes is more than enough time to get off an island, you can't post a police officer on every part of the beach to stop boats for hire from leaving either, especially with the limited amount of officers you have.

2. What good is that piece of evidence if it's contaminated by the sea water?

3. When has the RTP let a suspect for the murder walk out of the door?

4. Yes that comment is preemptive, but atleast they are not of that mindset now.

To the person above who has quoted me: Who is this "same guy" you are referring to?

Rant over …

good grief! You have changed your tunehuh.png

essentially what you're saying now is not different to the point MJP was trying to say a couple of nights ago that you told him he should “ pipe down “whistling.gif

People change, ideologies change, days change, weather changes, everything changes. And you thought I was old and behind my time. I am 26 and I had a certain thought that day, sorry if it offended and maybe I was wrong, but everything changes sooner or later, nothing is forever

Rant over …

1. Okay but locking down an area within a few hours is useless. 240 minutes is more than enough time to get off an island, you can't post a police officer on every part of the beach to stop boats for hire from leaving either, especially with the limited amount of officers you have.

4. Yes that comment is preemptive, but atleast they are not of that mindset now.

To the person above who has quoted me: Who is this "same guy" you are referring to?

3) Wasn't both brother and son interrogated and let go (out of the door) even though they denied to give DNA sample? Those who later turned out to be suspects in this case. Same brother who is in detention (not arrested as they claim now), same son that they are currently looking for?

Nail on the head there Allan. Some people seem to think Thaksins regime is the be all and end all of corruption in Thailand. It was rampant before he was ever on the scene and it is still now. It's ingrained in the culture and it's not just the police lining their pockets but other 'forces' too. It will take massive changes all across the board from the very bottom to the very top.

I doubt things will change that much even after this is resolved (if it ever is). I hope I'm wrong.

My wife has family that live on Koh Tao and Koh Phagnan.

She had a chat with her cousin yesterday on Koh Tao and everyone there knows who did it. Probably known since the day after the crime.

Therefore, the police must have known too.

Only conflicting info from her, was that it was the nephew of a village headman ??

Looks like they will get the right people eventually though, more due to international pressure than good police work.

RIP the deceased..

Well, given the fact that the Thais do not like to gossip and that they would never make accusations without solid evidence, this is good news! What a pity then these people on Koh Tao only told your wife 9 days after the fact instead of the investigators the day after the murders happened.

Nail on the head there Allan. Some people seem to think Thaksins regime is the be all and end all of corruption in Thailand. It was rampant before he was ever on the scene and it is still now. It's ingrained in the culture and it's not just the police lining their pockets but other 'forces' too. It will take massive changes all across the board from the very bottom to the very top.

I doubt things will change that much even after this is resolved (if it ever is). I hope I'm wrong.

Not just a change across the board. It will require a mentality change among the people, so they wont have such a mai pen rai attitude towards it. I so often hear, even about small things, "but what can i do, no body else does anything". The people need to step up and stand together against even the small "corrupt" things in the society.

Rant over …

3) Wasn't both brother and son interrogated and let go (out of the door) even though they denied to give DNA sample? Those who later turned out to be suspects in this case. Same brother who is in detention (not arrested as they claim now), same son that they are currently looking for?

It seems to me at least when they were released that was under the Koh Tao police force, but now the Krungthep guys are in town and such, they are now back on the radar, why is that? hmmmm

The RTP have been, and continue to protect these "influential suspects"!! This is disgusting. As previously mentioned, all farangs that have been suspects have been named. But these influential Thais, one of which is on the run cannot be named? At least for the sake of the rest of society he should be named, his photo and name should be plastered on every TV and news paper nation wide until he is caught. Post him simply as a person of interest that is considered possibly dangerous. But no, cannot shame a Thai even at the risk of letting a dangerous killer run free. Will the police just wait till he turns himself in like they usually do then release him on bail so he can run away again? What a bunch of useless turds these BIB are.

Lumenten post # 30.

Maybe if you gave proper link it wouldn't go to a 404. No links on that website is as the link you provided there, so my guess if that the mistake is on you and not some kind of conspiracy.

The link was copied and pasted into the post, however it doesn't work.
As you seem to extremely knowledgeable about the way links work perhaps you would be kind enough to bestow your wisdom and knowledge to we lesser beings and actually post a working link.
Or would it be that you might have a vested interest in certain matters concerning this horrific crime thus exposure is not desired in your eyes?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-9751056.html

Hiding in Bangkok? I thought he'd be well into the jungles of Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam by now.

Thank god for all the international pressure. David and Hannah may Get some justice soon. I hope Koh Tao is cleaned up of these 'families' too but I won't hold my breath on that.

He's not Bear Grylls, just some little wuss full of self-entitlement through his family connections. He has no ability to earn money which is unfortunate if you are on the run, and as for hiding out in the Cambodian jungles, not a chance.

Why would he not have money? No doubt the honest and hard working RTP are checking his family members`/friends` ATM withdrawals as he may not be dumb enough to use his own. Rings and gold sold for cash or pawned, no questions asked. Favours on mainland called in, etc etc.

Wonder how many of the selfproclaimed "experts" here on the powerstructure on Koh Tao, even knew that the island existed 10 days ago??coffee1.gif

I wonder if you do, since it seems that you only join this forum to debate this investigation. Quite a few people actually use this forum because they live in Thailand, hence also know a bit about how things do/did work the different places including the rock (koh tao).

Do you even have any relation to Thailand at all? or are you just here because of this investigation got world wide interest?

Rant over …

It seems to me at least when they were released that was under the Koh Tao police force, but now the Krungthep guys are in town and such, they are now back on the radar, why is that? hmmmm

Quite possibly because new information has come to light? Also it's not unheard of for a different team to re-examine the information and come up with a different conclusion.

We don't know what goes behind closed doors do we?

It's quite amusing (putting aside the actual seriousness of the events leading to this) the way the police are going about solving these murders. In a PC western country this sort of DNA mass gathering and mass detentions would not even be contemplated due to civil rights and legal wrangling. Might not be western PC but that the police have one suspect firmly in custody and are on the trail of another suggests that away from the norm they may solve a Falang murder and gain some much needed start point of respect from the western world.

Two things from this case to date come to mind. One that with a good hard kick up the backside from the Junta leader the RTP are capable enough in spite of their lack of modern crime solving resources and second that the RTP are very much in need of having that expertise and resource made available to progress their ability to get results more efficiently and professionally. Another tool in beating corruption is applying professionalism and enjoyment to ones work.

Thats bullshit. In my country, that is as western and social democratic as they get, mass gathering of DNA is very much done when a murder is discovered and an exact time and location can be found. Mass dententions wont happen, but mass interogations happen.

I think he may have been talking about the USA, and not a civilised country.

You must be familiar with the 45th Second amendment where we Goddammit have the right as Merkins to shove a gun up our Asses and Damn well have the Right to choose with the Liberty and God Given rights as Merkins to pull the trigger or not. No need for a three day wait period Goddammit.

Goddamm DNA testing - its my right as a freedom luvvin Merkin to frustrate them Commo bastard POlice every which way. Make Em prove I killed the Motherf...r.....dammit, evrymans right ain't it.

Didn't we invent the Goddam TOOTHBRUSH!! (if it had been invented in Canada it would have been called a TEETHBRUSH)

GODDAMMIT

I must add an apology to my American mates - just having a joke - I'm sure you understand.

All clues and knowledge of Thais point to this: uncle has conflict with Brits and after hours him and two others (brother sons) meet up with Brits and a fight begins. Brit man gets killed so they kill the only witness but in the process the two young boys rape the lady and the uncle runs home to clean up.

What we know;

1. There was a conflict at bar with the uncle.

2. The uncle gets police friend and goes after Sean. Maybe to place blame.

3. Uncle at crime location at night and in morning. Trying to cover up

4. Uncle in video after murder running away from crime location.

5. Two sons leave island quickly and are in hiding and seeking legal advice. These are two who have not given DNA. After something like this why did they leave the island ? For school ... I think not real reason.

6. We all know that if the uncle had a conflict that he being a Thai would get help to confront with numbers, not fair fight ....

What is not correct here ?

All clues and knowledge of Thais point to this: uncle has conflict with Brits and after hours him and two others (brother sons) meet up with Brits and a fight begins. Brit man gets killed so they kill the only witness but in the process the two young boys rape the lady and the uncle runs home to clean up.

What we know;

1. There was a conflict at bar with the uncle.

2. The uncle gets police friend and goes after Sean. Maybe to place blame.

3. Uncle at crime location at night and in morning. Trying to cover up

4. Uncle in video after murder running away from crime location.

5. Two sons leave island quickly and are in hiding and seeking legal advice. These are two who have not given DNA. After something like this why did they leave the island ? For school ... I think not real reason.

6. We all know that if the uncle had a conflict that he being a Thai would get help to confront with numbers, not fair fight ....

What is not correct here ?

Could be that there was actually another witness that escaped. Why did Sean claim that owner of AC bar know who the killers was? Also, lets say that it is true that Sean has been covered in blood doing the same morning, could he have been involved somehow, could he know more about the case that he doesn't dare to say?

Going by the latest report from Thaipbs:

1) DNA tests did not match the two bar owners

2) The brother of the village chief said that one of his employees or friends helped Sean wash blood off his face and body on the night of the murders

3) The two sons of the village chief who fled to Bangkok apparently went there to attend school

Where is Sean now?

I'm very very surprised that he was allowed to go free so quickly. Not casting any aspersions here, but for the sake of the victims and solving this crime, he should surely have to go undergo DNA testing too?

Murder cases are always complex, it's never going to be a cut and dried scenario - this is not manslaughter, this is a complex situation with multiple factors, and there has to be at least 2 people involved, due to the rape factor and the magnitude of the injuries involved, which ultimately culminated in a gruesome murder.

We are inching closer, but the police on all sides need to keep the pressure up.

I am sure that if Sean is in the UK, he will be questioned by the forces there and will probably have to undergo DNA testing.

"I am sure that if Sean is in the UK, he will be questioned by the forces there and will probably have to undergo DNA testing."

Under want pretense and UK law?

Archived