Koh Tao murders: Police free bar owners and look for ex-village headman's son

webfact

TheThais are thrashing about figuring who they can pin this on and not have him rat any others out.

What garbage ..... another TV bar stool judge at work.

The Thai police have sufficient evidence to charge as indicted the two suspects in question.

DNA results will become available within the next 24-48hrs and as such may provide conclusive evidence to warrant pending murder charges.

wai2.gif

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the headman has to pay for all the DNA tests and manpower. Will he also be charged for obstructing an investigation? What about all the local BIB who tried to blame everyone and swore a Thai would not do such a bad crime? I hope the world sees LOS and the new PM sends ALL BAD GUYS to prison and takes all their money and gives it to poor Thais.

I think the police have turned over a new leaf and are going to pursue this case, no matter where or who it leads to. I believe it is because the army has their back; both to support them and to keep them on the straight and narrow path of righteousness.

If they can bring in the guilty parties and make a credible case against them (no matter who is their father), it will go a long way to restoring respect and confidence in the RTP.

It would be a good, first stop, but there is so much work that needs to be done.

The police can start by treating all citizens with the same fervor in trying to solve the case. A poor Thai girl being raped and murdered in the same way would hardly make it into the press. The current case would have been covered up if it had not been for international coverage and hard pushing from Bkk to solve this.

In the midst of this horrendous situation I wonder if the Army and those that run the country now have any idea of how they are viewed in some parts of the world. I come from the UK and people I know there are just horrified and disgusted. Friends in Holland feel the same. I don't know of any facts but I read about police corruption etc., and I don't want to believe it but the way this has been handled has brought shame on what in the main is a beautiful country. People writing in saying'everyone on Koh Tao knows who did it'. well if that's the case then why are we in this situation? And if the army are 'in control' why are they not down there kicking some backsides about to get to the truth? And what is a 'headman'? Is Thailand still living in a feudal system?

The damage that has been done to potential tourism not only to Koh Tao but Thailand in General may never be repaired in the eyes of those of us who are watching on in disbelief. Can we quote Keith Emerson but just change the name of the country and say ' Thailand is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable'. I was here when the coup took place. I am not personally in favour of military intervention in any democracy but something did have to be done. Since then they have quietened it all down and that us good and they seem to be doing ok, but please Mr Prayuth, get this one sorted before Thailands credibility has gone for good.

Todays comments from the U.K Independent newspaper concerning this horrific crime.

You need to go to the main page and then Asian News section as like yesterday the article link url comes back with a ''404'' notice.

One wonders why that should be?whistling.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk

Maybe the same people thats still blocking the Daily mail (mail on line) on TOT but the same website is available through AIS.

It's quite amusing (putting aside the actual seriousness of the events leading to this) the way the police are going about solving these murders. In a PC western country this sort of DNA mass gathering and mass detentions would not even be contemplated due to civil rights and legal wrangling. Might not be western PC but that the police have one suspect firmly in custody and are on the trail of another suggests that away from the norm they may solve a Falang murder and gain some much needed start point of respect from the western world.

Two things from this case to date come to mind. One that with a good hard kick up the backside from the Junta leader the RTP are capable enough in spite of their lack of modern crime solving resources and second that the RTP are very much in need of having that expertise and resource made available to progress their ability to get results more efficiently and professionally. Another tool in beating corruption is applying professionalism and enjoyment to ones work.

sorry but your wrong, they did it on Norfolk Island in Australia a few years ago after a girl was murdered there and they were unable to find the killer. Mass dna samples were taken of all the males on the island and they were then able to apprehend the killer, sometimes it does work but they actually do have to take everyones dna sample with no exceptions.

Todays comments from the U.K Independent newspaper concerning this horrific crime.

You need to go to the main page and then Asian News section as like yesterday the article link url comes back with a ''404'' notice.

Try to access the Daily Mail (UK) - the entire site is blocked completely!

Police revealed that two Thais had been interviewed but were released after refusing to provide DNA samples: What the Murder of Two British Tourists Tells Us About Thailand’s Dark Side

It's articles like this, which the police and Thailand generally can blame no one but themselves for, that really damage the country's reputation.

If the investigation had been conducted professionally and with integrity, articles like this would never be written.

It's all pointless speculation. coffee1.gif

I've no problem with ThaiVisa posting the latest 'news' as a stand alone read/headline. That is admirable . . . but really, what's the point of letting it go beyond that simply for the army of armchair online Lt. Colombo's to conjure up half baked scenarios & solutions. The mind boggles. Oh, wait a minute . . . got it . . there's lots of lovely ads to look at (and click on) in between these sherlockian posts. whistling.gif

How do you think the investigation would look, if there wasn't the world wide media attention that it currently got?

So according to you: The barstoolexperts here=World media??cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thank you, you just made my day!!

GOOGLE facepalm.gif

Just another TV dropkick

I think the police have turned over a new leaf and are going to pursue this case, no matter where or who it leads to. I believe it is because the army has their back; both to support them and to keep them on the straight and narrow path of righteousness.

If they can bring in the guilty parties and make a credible case against them (no matter who is their father), it will go a long way to restoring respect and confidence in the RTP.

You say the police have turned a new leaf regarding the case? Sure after nearly 2 weeks of trying to set people up, ignore the fact Thais could be involved, local enforcement probably covering things up, ignoring help from outside such as the FBI and having the entire world breaking their balls, good on them... thumbsup.gif

Sorry but I have no respect for them whatsoever, they handled this in a typical Thai manner, it was a circus and laughing stock, horrific images were leaked, the crime scene was a shambles with regards to how it was fenced off and investigated, the GENERAL and his outstanding bikini comment and who can forget blaming the victims friend on the grounds he was a potential homosexual. Yep, looks like Koh Tao and the rest of Thailand has a booming future

Well say.

Police revealed that two Thais had been interviewed but were released after refusing to provide DNA samples: What the Murder of Two British Tourists Tells Us About Thailand’s Dark Side

Where in the OP does it say they refused to give DNA samples ?

Did you even read the article he linked to?

"Police revealed that the two Thais had been interviewed but were released after refusing to provide DNA samples.".

His comment is even the quote from that article!

That piece of information is to be found in ton of articles about this case.

Right at the begining i said that the police would not just arrest a scapegoat in this case ,it is far to high profile around the world and it would be seen as a stich up straight away ,this is the last thing the army want.

Whenever I hear or read the term "village headman" or "chief" I always think of those old cartoons of savages with bones through their noses cooking westerners in a big pot in the jungle. There are certain similarities with Thailand's archaic "big boss" culture. Yes boss !

TheThais are thrashing about figuring who they can pin this on and not have him rat any others out.

The Thai police have sufficient evidence to charge as indicted the two suspects in question.

DNA results will become available within the next 24-48hrs and as such may provide conclusive evidence to warrant pending murder charges.

wai2.gif

Do you have a reliable source for your outlandish statements??

We all know the police have been made to look foolish throughout this investigation but I would also say the same about Thailand's English language press which has been filled with inaccuracies, conflicting stories, confusing reporting and poor use of the English language.

So who taught them english? Holidaymakers posing as english teachers?

Those Thais who live on the island will know who did it the island although beautiful is very small with less than 2,000 thai's they know everyone's business and they know which families you do not upset . I would bet that one of these high profile families are involved with these murders and are hiding the culprit/culprits the local police as on all islands such as Phangan and Samui are in the back pockets of these families if the self selected PM wants to show the world he means business he needs to rid all these families away from the islands but sadly this will never happen. The Royal Thai police desperately want all this publicity to die a death I hope the tabloids worldwide will keep forcing the case until the killers are found ,no one individual could have done these crimes on there own My thoughts and prayers are with the deceased's families as they wait to see those responsible brought to account .

wai2.gif

"The Thai police have sufficient evidence to charge as indicted the two suspects in question.

DNA results will become available within the next 24-48hrs and as such may provide conclusive evidence to warrant pending murder charges."

Seems like a certainty to me ... cheesy.gif

wai2.gif

If the headman and his brother are guilty, I wonder why they didn't flee as well. They seem to have been willing to give their dna sample. The son on the other hand, is looking guilty by fleeing. I wonder if it was him and his mates that carried out this horrible crime. Hope to see that dna result very soon. If it's not them, they can probably get a close match to implicate the son. I hope so, as it looks like the police have run out of suspects.

A flame post has been removed and an inflammatory post with profane intentions has been removed as well:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

wai2.gif

All we can do is hope that his last statement will be true.

However, i don't think we should NOT forget that as it seem to be now, then the police have allowed one of their prime suspect to interfere with the investigation from day one. Further more is there claims that the other man on the photo taken by Sean at 7-11 is actually a policeman. So if all this is true, then Noltom does have a point with his statement.

wai2.gif

With these announcements, what I am afraid of is that the police are basically giving the guilty parties 24-48 hours to do a runner and disappear. It wouldn't be the first time.

Try to access the Daily Mail (UK) - the entire site is blocked completely!

Thats got nothing to do with this case.

Its been blocked for a while, due to its reporting of another unrelated 'incident'

Theve known from the start who did it, the locals new, but they had to drag their heels and do everything the unprofessional way, i won't go through it again ,as those of us who have followed it from the start are worn down.

They don't like to be told what to do, its inherent in them, they find it hard to take orders, so will do everything by the 'so called book', even if it comes from the top, as it did.

They can show that they used the process they always do ,except that they would not use scapegoats this time and pressure from mafia families.

This case required real police work and frankly they are just not up to it.

Im hoping this is the last i have to blog on this, its gone off the rails !.

farce - a foolish show; mockery; a ridiculous sham.

Bangkok cops are now hunting a man who left Koh Tao the morning after the murders. Who he is or even his name was not given to the media.

The Bangkok Post says the man exposed by Sean McAnna is only a "person of interest" & he was released due to "lack of evidence or witnesses"

The Nation have updated their story & are now saying: Police free bar owners and look for ex-village headman's son http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-free-bar-owners-and-look-for-ex-village-hea-30243997.html

Stories on Koh Tao in the print editions of The Nation & Bangkok Post don't appear online this morning though they have "updated" versions.

Lots of contradictions in the newspapers about the Koh Tao murders. Have they been arrested, released or are they just persons of interest?

@base_thai @RichardBarrow Not clear anyone is detained & no-one named suspect. 3rd man is being sought in Bangkok, thought 2 b Voraphan son.

@base_thai @RichardBarrow Media reports are confusing. We know Voraphan & brother Mon were questioned. Mon is identified as man in CCTV pic.

@Arthuristheboy @RichardBarrow Interesting police suddenly very coy abt naming Votaphan family. They were both seen being questioned.

@base_thai @RichardBarrow Yes but that article is incorrect. Same police officer told me emphatically yesterday afternoon NO arrests yet.

@RichardBarrow Nation absurdly has In Touch owner (Voraphan's brother) as both being released and still being detained.

@RichardBarrow This is absurd. It is public that AC owner Voraphan & his brother were questioned yesterday. Voraphan's son is missing.

KOH TAO MURDERS – A TASTELESS JOKE BY ISLAND DISC JOCKEYS. - Andrew Drummond

Police say - on the record - they have "enough evidence" to make arrests by "end of week". If that is so why haven't they done it already?

Lumenten post # 30.

Maybe if you gave proper link it wouldn't go to a 404. No links on that website is as the link you provided there, so my guess if that the mistake is on you and not some kind of conspiracy.

The link was copied and pasted into the post, however it doesn't work.
As you seem to extremely knowledgeable about the way links work perhaps you would be kind enough to bestow your wisdom and knowledge to we lesser beings and actually post a working link.
Or would it be that you might have a vested interest in certain matters concerning this horrific crime thus exposure is not desired in your eyes?

OMG! Could this mean it may have been a Thai man after all? But I thought the GOV said no Thai is capable of such an act so it had to be a foreigner?

Times are changing. Look at all the hate spewed by Mr Suthep earlier this year,...respect for others is at its lowest point all over the world.

Hiding in Bangkok? I thought he'd be well into the jungles of Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam by now.

Thank god for all the international pressure. David and Hannah may Get some justice soon. I hope Koh Tao is cleaned up of these 'families' too but I won't hold my breath on that.

He's not Bear Grylls, just some little wuss full of self-entitlement through his family connections. He has no ability to earn money which is unfortunate if you are on the run, and as for hiding out in the Cambodian jungles, not a chance.

Remember Kamnan (headman) Poh? He was alleged to have escaped to Cambodia after being sentenced to 25-years in jail when he was found guilty of the mafia-style murder of a rival gangster in Chonburi. About 10 years later, he was 'arrested' on the expressway in Bangkok after visiting hospital on what was a routine schedule and on his way home to the family mansion in Chonburi where he had been living most of the time.

While he was 'hiding in Cambodia', several members of his family who swore they didn't know where he was, ran for (and still hold) state and provincial government offices.

There's the law and then there's those that it can never really be applied to.

New twist in murder of two Brits in Koh Tao

9-24-2014-10-47-02-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The investigation into the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao sees a new twist after the police questioned two prime suspects they earlier said have enough evidence to prove their connection.

Police interrogated Woraphan Toovichien, 49, a village headman and owner of AC Bar which is located near the murder scene, and his brother, Montriwat Toovichien, owner of In Touch resort and caretaker of AC Bar.

Both gave good cooperation to the police and they denied they had any connection.

DNA samples of the two brothers were collecting for testing and were later proved to not match with DNA collected from the scene and the victim’s body.

Both were later freed.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol-Lt Panya Mamen said both men gave good cooperation and answer all questions.

Both gave very useful information to the police, he said but the police could not elaborate.

They were not arrested but just in police custody, he said.

But police investigators said more test would be conducted and they are still hunting for another suspect who is the son of the AC Bar’s owner and was reported to flee into Bangkok.

Montriwat, who is one of the two men appeared on the Facebook of a British musician, Sean McAnna, working several months in Koh Tao claimed had framed him to confess to killing the two Brits and threatened to hang him if he didn’t, also came out to deny his allegations.

Sean told The Telegraph he had to run for his life from the island after he was threatened by local mafias, and posted the picture of two men which he took by his mobile phone who threatened him.

Sean also said he was among a group of people playing guitar on the beach near the scene.

The group was also suspected by the police as they were near the scene.

But Montriwat discredited the Briton’s claim saying in fact on the night of the murder an employee of a spa has told him she helped to wash and clean blood from the face and body of Mr Sean who is a friend of the murdered David Miller.

He said he asked Mr Sean about the blood on his face and body and insisted on asking where he was that night.

Mr Sean claimed he did not go out anywhere but slept in the room, Montriwat said.

‘This is very suspicious,’ Montriwat told reporters while insisting in his innocence.

He also said another man in the picture posted by Mr Sean is in fact a police officer who is his friend.

Police freed both Montriwat and his brother Woraphan after blood and urine test did not match DNA collected from the scene, and no drug addiction was found.

But as Montriwat is the man appeared in the CCTV video footage near the scene, the police still did not rule out a possible connection.

The police still wanted to question both for more information, particularly Wiraphan’s two sons who they said have escaped from the island after the murder.

But well-informed source said in fact both sons who the Bangkok police are hunting are studying at a university in Bangkok and they arrived just on study, not running as the police said.

They are also consulting lawyers to consider legal action for such allegations by the police that they were involved.

Today forensic police collected DNA samples and urine from more than 60 foreign workers as well as their foot prints to compare with foot prints found at the scene.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-twist-murder-two-brits-koh-tao/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-24

Archived