Bangkok Immigration, District 1, Updated Q&A, Retirement Extension, Seasoned Funds

For one month I have been researching the new rule regarding seasoned funds under the combination option at the time of the application submission for a retirement extension.

I have finally determined why Bangkok Immigration, Division 1 is taking the position of demanding seasoned bank funds of 3 months at the time of the application for the second extension application, and 60 days at the time of the first extension application.

For many years this was not the case at Bangkok Immigration regarding the combination rule.

Recent posts confirm that Pattaya Immigration is not taking this position, which has caused much confusion.

Today, I examined Bangkok Immigration, Division 1's website, questions and answers and the written rule has changed and their Q&A has been updated. The wording is clear now why they are demanding seasoned bank funds at the time of the application submission.

The URL address is, http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

I refer you to #22 Question : What is the required age of the alien wishing to stay in Thailand with the reason of Retirement.

The key sentence is at 2.3, In case of combination of having money in the bank account and income from pension, with total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht per year, the required documents at the same as mentioned in 2.1 and 2.2. That language was updated.

Therein, those sentences state specifically the updated bank passbook on the date of the application submission showing money in the account has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 3 months! (Except the first application for this reason, that such amount should be deposited and held for 60 days)

I have copied and pasted all of the #22 rule Question, printed and scanned it and the file is attached.

Again, this is for Bangkok Immigration, Division 1. Other district Officers are following different rules according to recent posts.

With regard to the Embassy Income verification letters, the time has changed from 15 days to 6 months. If the letter is older than 6 months, you will have to go to the Embassy and obtain a new one.

I have copied, pasted, printed and scanned the new printed rule in Thai and translated to English for your convenience. It has been reported some Thai Immigration officers do not have a copy of the new law, so you should bring copies with you in the event they are still going by the 15 day rule.

Hopefully, this information will clear up the confusion.

Dist 1 web pag re combo 9.24pdf.pdf

6 mth rule in Thai regard US Emb inc verif affid 1.pdf

6 mth rule in Thai regard US Emb inc verif affid 2.pdf

6 mth rule in Thai regard US Emb inc verif affid 3.pdf

6 mth rule in Thai regard US Emb inc verif affid 4.pdf

6 mth rule in Thai regard US Emb inc verif affid 5.pdf

Edited by Kabula
  • Like 1

So let's take a example.

Suppose I have a pension of the equivalent of 52,000 Baht monthly. (not 65,000 Baht monthly)

And I also have a bank account of 200,000 Baht in a Thai bank seasoned for the required 3 months.

Now 52K Baht monthly is around 650K Baht annually.

Add he 200K in the Thai bank account.(seasoned for 3 months)

By my calculations that is over 800K Baht.

The question is, does that still qualify for the 3rd extension?

I say it does, but does immigration in District ! still see it the same?

Somewhere, I can't recall where but probably something to do with Pattaya, the wording seemed to imply that the bank manager's letter and photocopies of the bank book submitted when using the combination method had to cover a period of 3 months prior to the time of application, although there was no reference to the required amount being "seasoned" for three months.

Photocopy of your bank passbook Identity page showing name and account number

and all page(s) usually showing the last 3 months activity (it is recommended that you
update your passbook on the same day you get your bank letter so that both balances
will agree)

It is just logic that they made the additional requirement.

Probably someone with a small income has been able to obtain the extension borrowing the larger balance of money for a couple days, a quite practical loophole. The committee that decides the regulations did not bother making the change official, but Bangkok office did.

Edited by paz

Probably someone with a small income has been able to obtain the extension borrowing the larger balance of money for a couple days, a quite practical loophole. The committee that decides the regulations did not bother making the change official, but Bangkok office did.

Then they posted their illegal extension of stay and how they got it for all to see on Thaivisa

Thank you for your info. Very useful, and I will print it.

I think the best way to to deal with immigration officer's interpretations, is to bring a Thai print of the regulations when doing any extension.

Always is somebody new working at the immigration offices.......and clueless.

Then they posted their illegal extension of stay and how they got it for all to see on Thaivisa

Not illegal at all.

And officers do not need to read forums to known.

The seasoning in the combo method could be easy avoided by immigration by asking for proof of transfer(s) from a bank account outside Thailand to Thai bank both on applicants name ....or not .? And so could be staying whiteout the seasoning rule.

example ;

my pension i have receiving a yearly certificate with seal showing monthly amount (which i send to my embassy for affidavit),

i can show a INTERNET page with the payd amount month after month and print out from it , > my home country bank history receiving pension amount & the transfer after some grouped months to my Thai bank .......

So i think there is no better control to prove you are using your own money and no borrowed one ........

And i think i am not the only one who can prove by this way his/hers honesty

Edited by david555