'More confident' Phuket park chief withdraws transfer request

webfact

'More confident' Phuket park chief withdraws transfer request
Eakkapop Thongtub

1411545276_1-org.jpg
Gen Dapong (left) is briefed by Mr Kitipat.

PHUKET: -- The chief of Sirinart Marine National Park has withdrawn a request to be transferred out of Phuket after the Royal Thai Navy promised to provide more troops for security, along with body armour and other safety equipment.

On September 18 the Director of National Parks, Samak Donnapee, revealed that he had received the transfer request from park chief Kitipat Tharapiban, who told his boss that he fears for his life

He said that Mr Kitipat had cited stress from constant threats by “investors” and angry people who had been the targets of demolition of illegal construction of restaurants and bars at Nai Thon, Nai Yang and Sai Keaw beaches.

Mr Kitipat said he had had to change his cell phone number many times and that gunmen had been seen in the park area “trying to shoot” him.

Mr Samak said, “I understand the pressure Mr Kitipat is facing right now. He is sleeping in a bullet-proof room that Cheewapap [Cheewatam, his predecessor] built when he was the park chief.

“I have discussed his transfer request with Nitiphon Chotiban [Director General of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation], who will decide whether or not to grant it.

“However, seven or eight park chiefs have also requested transfers so Mr Kitipat can decide where he want to go [if his request is granted].”

On Monday (September 22), however, during a visit to Sirinart, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Gen Dapong Ratanasuwan had a private 10-minute chat with Mr Kitipat, after which Mr Samak confirmed that the park chief had withdrawn his transfer request.

Mr Kitipat would comment only briefly. He said that after talking with Gen Dapong he felt more confident and was “willing to stay and fight for Phuket”.

Asked about the threats to his life, he said that there had been no direct threats but refused to give any more detail.

Mr Cheewapap, too, requested a transfer out of Sirinart after coming under pressure to accept bribes, along with threats if he did not. The request was granted and he is now in charge of the Royal Forestry Department’s Crime Suppression Division.

Mr Kitipat took over from him in May this year, shortly before the military coup.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/more-confident-phuket-park-chief-withdraws-transfer-request-48858.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-24

• Like 1

Yes he is a brave man even with bullet proof armour and more soldiers to guard him. There are hundreds of people who are threatened by 'mafia' connected thugs in Phuket especially. People who gave lost their homes, their businesses and others. I was told by the head of the Companies Office (DBD) that he has dozens of cases of businesses which have been stole by fraud through corrupt lawyers verifying signatures for share transfers and director removal. It is a big problem. Who is there to protect these people?

The army needs to root out the people involved and deal with them - meaning permanently. There is no room for people's lives being destroyed through the greed and criminality of others and especially not public officials trying to do their job.

I hope the reason he is staying us not to avoid the huge negative publicity of yet another park chief investigating these rich traitorous scum who have stolen land belonging to the public who think they can do as they please. I hope it is that the evidence will be forthcoming and vigorously pursued by the Army because you can't be confident of trusting any Phuket lawyer to do their job in the face of bribery and corruption. This needs careful and transparent scrutiny from beginning to the end.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I personally think that he has been persuaded to stay on as a figure head for a while, because it would be a hugely damaging admission that a public park chief has been run off by threats.

No reflection on the park chief, who would want to risk their life after all, more a reflection on the way of life in Phuket and behavior of the criminals who illegally take over public land.

I expect that after a while he will quietly move and live without fear. How his successor can combat the encroachers, is a more difficult question to answer. The soldiers aren't always going to be on call.