Blocked Drain!

jackr

Anyone know where I can get one of those drain unblockers that look like a coiled up length of small-diameter plastic pipe - three-five metres long? Tried Home Pro etc, but there's bound to be a drain unblocker shop in town somewhere. Hosepipe and water no good; I think there's a dirty fat rat stuck up there. :o

I'd get someone in but it could be a regular thing, so good to have.

cheers

I had the same problem a while back, and asked the local handyman/plumber/electrician where I could get the same thing. he said that they stocked them in the hardware shops on Sri Donchai between the corner of the klong and Surriwong bookshop.

I went down and found a likely shop, and explained what I wanted. "Nah" says the guy "what you need is this" and produced a plastic bottle containing some evil looking black liquid. I love the way they always try to sell you something else.

Well I thought this could be an easy way out rather than disassembling half of the house's plumbing system. Pour half a cup full down the offending orifice, and retire for an hour. Return and try the water, if still blocked repeat. Mine worked first time, and I always keep a bottle handy now.

The only name on the bottle is S.T.D. in red on a white label. It claims to be a disinfectant and drain cleaner. I used this on an upstairs hand basin, and as I said worked a treat. Downstairs in the kitchen I use Caustic Soda. The black "gunk" was 40 baht for the bottle :o

One thing I should have mentioned is that it's the washing machine drain and looks like fluff and hair may be the culprit, although I reckon ole Roland Rat could be up there, too. I shall keep an eye out for black gunk and 'really caustic <deleted>'. :o

I bought a kilo of caustic soda at the chemical supply place on super highway near rincome a couple of months back for the price of the tiny packs you can get in retail shops. Worked great for hair in the upstairs tub drain. email or pm me and will be happy to let u have what u need

And at this same chemical shop (Northern Chemical 053 223-866(7)) you can buy bulk borax (good laundry additive), boric acid (fantastic natural cockroach eliminator) diatamacious earth (a natural sand that repels ants) and about any other chemical or mineral that you could desire.

seeker :o

What you need is caustic soda,i have used a few times and works well just pour it down th pan and leave it for an hour,be carfull of fumes when it goes into the water.Most hardware stores stock it

may have to be careful not to use too much as the caustic will kill off your enzyme activity in your septic tank. The enzymes help break down the solid matter in your tank, so if theres no activity going on, a build up of solids will take place and the sh*t may hit the fan. :o

I bought a kilo of caustic soda at the chemical supply place on super highway near rincome a couple of months back for the price of the tiny packs you can get in retail shops. Worked great for hair in the upstairs tub drain. email or pm me and will be happy to let u have what u need

Cheers. It turns out I already have a kilo bag of caustic soda. The guy at the hardware store in Mae Jo sold it to me a couple weeks ago as an afterthought when he never had the tool I was after - something like 35 baht. Perhaps worth a shot. I'll let you know how it goes. :o