UK Passport Renewal in Thailand

I filled out an application form for my UK passport renewal today and was surprised at how simple and easy it was but what surprised me even more was to find that I need to go to Bangkok to some agency on Soi 13 to apply in person! I tried emailing the agency to ask how long this process will take so I can arrange flights as I live in CM but got an automated response telling me that cannot answer enquiries and directing me back to gov.uk which obviously didn't answer that question.

So my question(s):

Has anyone else here been through this process and can you tell me how long it takes roughly in the office on the day?

The UK Government website says that I can keep my passport after applying for ID purposes(no mention of any fee) but the agency website says that I would have to pay 40 pounds to keep it, which is correct?

Also the only proof of my address I have is my rental agreement, is this acceptable?

Thanks for any info but please only reply if you have been through this process since March 31st 2014 as thats when this system came into play

Actually the new procedure started on the 26th March this year.

You will wait maybe one - two weeks for an appointment at trendy towers - you must request this appointment by email.

Actual time spent there is about 10 minutes as they just count your papers, not check them per se.

Reported application to collection 5 - 18 weeks.

The UK HMPO helpline is a complete waste of time and trendy (the agency in BKK) as you have already discovered will give you no help whatsoever and have no helpline.

Yes you keep your passport for ID, but it is no good for international travel - no fee to keep.

Welcome to the train wreck.

• Like 1

It took two weeks for my appointment. Then about 15 minutes at the office. They hassled me to prove I live in Thailand. I pointed out my visa and the fact 2 months ago the Embassy issued a letter of residency without prove of address.

PS: the girl I dealt with her English wasn't that good. I had to explain things in Thai. The place is basically a visa mill no interest in issuing passports. Good luck.

Actually the new procedure started on the 26th March this year.

You will wait maybe one - two weeks for an appointment at trendy towers - you must request this appointment by email.

Actual time spent there is about 10 minutes as they just count your papers, not check them per se.

Reported application to collection 5 - 18 weeks.

The UK HMPO helpline is a complete waste of time and trendy (the agency in BKK) as you have already discovered will give you no help whatsoever and have no helpline.

Yes you keep your passport for ID, but it is no good for international travel - no fee to keep.

Welcome to the train wreck.

What if collection time is past your visa ending date if it takes up to 18 weeks?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

The UK's Passport Office is to be brought under Home Office control and made accountable to ministers, Home Secretary Theresa May has announced.

The decision follows a summer which saw thousands of holidaymakers affected by a backlog in applications, which peaked at 537,663 in late June.

The changes mean the Passport Office's chief executive Paul Pugh will be replaced.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29376335

Edited by evadgib