Miyo Gang - Terrorizing Chiangmai Residents

NaiGreg

My wife's niece, who lives with us in Mae Rim, informs us that a student at her college was murdered (stabbed to death while using a pay phone) in a random act of street thuggery a few days ago by members of the Miyo Gang (Apparently Miyo is the brand of motorcycle they seem to prefer)

The story (according to my wife) is that this group surfaces from time-to-time and randomly selects victims on the street for beatings or murder. They will brazenly block streets and roads late at night or use monofilment line traps to knock riders off of their Honda Dreams. They police are earnestly trying to catch them (or more.)

Anyway, there is now a curfew for the college students staying in haw-pak and all evening activities at the college have been curtailed. The kids are scared!

They are also known as the Samurai Gang because of their use of Samurai-type weapons.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

They are also known as the Samurai Gang because of their use of Samurai-type weapons.

Gangs are not new to Chiangmai. There was a self styled "Samurai" gang operating here about fifteen years ago, and several people were killed with swords. They were eventually caught. Let's hope that this is the case here!

I now know this is rubbish, but I was warned when I moved here that there was a gang that selected one Farang a Month to kill. This unfortunate would be stalked for the majority of a month and then "Got To" at the right place and the right time.

Been here 2 years now and have never heard of anything like this happening, but it scared me a bit ay first.

Anyone else heard this rumour?

There has been a lot of trouble with Thai teenagers in the Thapae Gate area lately.

I saw a Thai girl lying on the pavement being repeatedly kicked and beaten by a group of about 15 youths about a week ago and my nighttime guard saw a simular attack on a Thai man several days ago which the police have been investigating.

Another group smashed the windows of Starbucks and a farang tourist who was staying at Darets was chased by a bunch of kids about two days ago, but I believe that he got away. :o

My estranged stepson is a full member of the Samurai gang c/w full samurai tattoo down his back and other tattoos visible on the back of his neck. He's been in jail for one year on a four year term.

He went in at age 18 yrs.. .

I was trying to get him to operate a 'kabohk' for/with me....saying that if he wants to be a professional gangster he better get some muscle on him. "Ahhhh, Leung Ken....please, just buy me a gun." was his response. Poor lad ended up with blisters instead.

The 'strikers' are still fairly young, mid to late teens and still not organized/competant enough to be a real threat, except to other teenagers. Classic 'gai chon' behaviour that attracts young girls and instills fear in rival teenagers.

I doubt that there is any threat to Fallang unless they are obviously in need of a cultural tune up.

They are just teenagers with teenage passions/frustrations....but with back up.

...Ken

Gangs are not new to Chiangmai. There was a self styled "Samurai" gang operating here about fifteen years ago, and several people were killed with swords. They were eventually caught. Let's hope that this is the case here!

A number of those caught were the sons of high ranking military and police officers.

My estranged stepson is a full member of the Samurai gang c/w full samurai tattoo down his back and other tattoos visible on the back of his neck. He's been in jail for one year on a four year term.

I was trying to get him to operate a 'kabohk' for/with me....saying that if he wants to be a professional gangster he better get some muscle on him. "Ahhhh, Leung Ken....please, just buy me a gun." was his response. Poor lad ended up with blisters instead.

The 'strikers' are still fairly young, mid to late teens and still not organized/competant enough to be a real threat, except to other teenagers. Classic 'gai chon' behaviour that attracts young girls and instills fear in rival teenagers.

I doubt that there is any threat to Fallang unless they are obviously in need of a cultural tune up.

...Ken

You've got it all wrong Ken....

As Maejo Man says, these gangs were killing people around Chiang Mai some years ago. There were a number of beheadings by these teenage gangs, some members were as young 16 - 17. The victims were not just other tennagers, they were all ages.

I remember as recently as 8 years ago a Thai friend in his 40's lost most of his right ear to a sword attack, he was able to avoid the full blow that was aimed at his throat.

The average age of US soldiers in Vietnam was 19 years, they were trained to kill at 17 - 18 in the "civilized" 1st world. The guys on the other side were a lot younger in many instances and more than capable of killing their enemies.

These gangs are not an idle threat and their teenage passions/frustrations, as you put it Ken, do not give them the right to go around beating and killing people. In gang mentality the killing of a foreigner would surely earn them an extra feather in their cap and respect from their peers.

...Ken

As Maejo Man says, these gangs were killing people around Chiang Mai some years ago. There were a number of beheadings by these teenage gangs, some members were as young 16 - 17. The victims were not just other tennagers, they were all ages.

I remember as recently as 8 years ago a Thai friend in his 40's lost most of his right ear to a sword attack, he was able to avoid the full blow that was aimed at his throat.

The average age of US soldiers in Vietnam was 19 years, they were trained to kill at 17 - 18 in the "civilized" 1st world. The guys on the other side were a lot younger in many instances and more than capable of killing their enemies.

These gangs are not an idle threat and their teenage passions/frustrations, as you put it Ken, do not give them the right to go around beating and killing people. In gang mentality the killing of a foreigner would surely earn them an extra feather in their cap and respect from their peers.

Average age of infantry in Vietnam 22.5. In WW II 26. Draft age during Vietnam 18.

...Ken

Average age of infantry in Vietnam 22.5. In WW II 26. Draft age during Vietnam 18.

I stand corrected. But still these teenage gangs are a major threat to all.

Here are statistics from the Combat Area Casualty File (CACF) as of November 1993. The CACF is the basis for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall):

Average age of 58,148 killed in Vietnam was 23.11 years. (Although 58,169 names are in the Nov. 93 database, only 58,148 have both event date and birth date. Event date is used instead of declared dead date for some of those who were listed as missing in action) [CACF]

Deaths Average Age

Total 58,148 23.11 years

Enlisted 50,274 22.37 years

Officers 6,598 28.43 years

Warrants 1,276 24.73 years

E1 525 20.34 years

11B MOS 18,465 22.55 years

Five men killed in Vietnam were only 16 years old. [CACF]

The oldest man killed was 62 years old. [CACF]

11,465 KIAs were less than 20 years old. [CACF]

Myth: The average age of an infantryman fighting in Vietnam was 19.

Assuming KIAs accurately represented age groups serving in Vietnam, the average age of an infantryman (MOS 11B) serving in Vietnam to be 19 years old is a myth, it is actually 22. None of the enlisted grades have an average age of less than 20. [CACF] The average man who fought in World War II was 26 years of age. [Westmoreland]

...Ken

Quite willing to stand corrected.

My experience with the Samurai gang has been with young (Thai) disaffected youth...through my stepson (who I have been in semi contact with since he was 4 years old). For whatever reasons these teenagers feel separated from the opportunity to achieve success so they attempt to belong to a group that may povide that. The Samurai Gang provides that warm fuzzy feeling. Basic gang/religion/nationalistic propaganda 101 because it appeals to the disaffected.

You want to remove the threat ?

Employ a gang banger, one at a time, and assist the change to a different perspective....which means give a young human a chance to 'believe' in the future.

You cannot oppose them and win....and I expect that they are getting stronger.

If I was a 20 year old Thai lad no realistic hope for my future....I'd be your special nightmare.

...Ken

There was a Samurai gang in Lampang in 2002. We were attacked with a sword while riding a bike near Big C. The guy was in his thirties.

sounds like someone high on drugs -meth? perhaps?

Quite willing to stand corrected.

My experience with the Samurai gang has been with young (Thai) disaffected youth...through my stepson (who I have been in semi contact with since he was 4 years old). For whatever reasons these teenagers feel separated from the opportunity to achieve success so they attempt to belong to a group that may povide that. The Samurai Gang provides that warm fuzzy feeling. Basic gang/religion/nationalistic propaganda 101 because it appeals to the disaffected.

You want to remove the threat ?

Employ a gang banger, one at a time, and assist the change to a different perspective....which means give a young human a chance to 'believe' in the future.

You cannot oppose them and win....and I expect that they are getting stronger.

If I was a 20 year old Thai lad no realistic hope for my future....I'd be your special nightmare.

...Ken

Seems to me that you might have lost the plot Kenny boy................

There was an article on the Chiang Mai Samurai gangs a while back in the Bangkok Post. If I remember correctly, this has been a sporadic problem dating back to the 1950's. The gangs appear to be real enough but some of the tales told about them can be filed under urban myth.

Agreed, the Samurai Gangs are not new & have been around for many years.

Recently

Chiang Mai Mail: Vol. III No. 11 - Saturday March 13 - March 19 2004

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/073/news.shtml#hd20

Chiang Mai police apprehend Samurai gang members

Fancy swordsmanship not enough to get away

Nopniwat Krailerg

Phuping Police have arrested two members of the teenage Samurai Gang. They were on the trail of three of the young miscreants, but one is still at large. The gang had followed a victim to his home in Sai Lom Joy village, where they injured a man and stole his motorcycle and possessions.

Two Samurai Gang members, Daeng and Ake, shown here with some of the haul and their samurai sword, were charged at Phuping Police station.

Pol Col Prachuab Wongsook, superintendent of Phuping Station, commanded the investigation team, led by Pol Capt Jaran Kampa, investigation police deputy inspector, to examine the crime scene and hunt for the criminals.

After questioning the witness, police officers knew that the criminals were named Daeng and Ake. One hour later, policemen arrested Thawatchai, or Daeng, at Udomlert Court behind Chiang Mai University, and Nisithi, or Ake, at his rented house on Santitham Road. The officers impounded the stolen motorcycle, a 2 foot long samurai sword and the unregistered motorcycle they used when carrying out the robbery.

The two teenage criminals confessed that they took up crime to pay for their football gambling habit. They followed their victim looking for the opportunity to rob him.

When they reached the village, they realized the place was deserted, so they called the victim to stop and threatened him with the sword. The frightened victim handed over his possessions and ran, leaving his motorcycle for the criminals.

Pol Capt Jaran said that the teen gangsters had been committing crimes two to three times a month, but police had stepped up surveillance and were routinely stopping youngsters on unregistered motorcycles.

Also a copy gang in Chiang Khong

Chiang Mai Mail: Vol. II No. 20 Saturday 17 May - 23 May 2003

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/030/news.shtml

Samurai gang attacks students in Chiang Rai

Parents complain to local MP of police inaction

A gang wielding samurai swords last month attacked 4 students in Chiang Rai, and so far, justice has yet to be served. All the victims were seriously injured, with one victim requiring 200 stitches, another had the tendon severed in the right leg and 2 boys received facial and arm wounds.

Paradol Chaimangua, Nuttawit Hattasorn and their parents lodged a complaint with Buason Prachamon, Chiang Rai Member of Parliament that the victims had already notified the police about the slashing but there was no apparent progress.

The 4 students are studying in Boonrueng Wittayakhom School, Chiang Khong district, Chiang Rai. On April 4, they were in Wat Ban Ton Plong’s celebration and had an altercation with the Samurai group.

The report of the incident was given to the police of Tambon Boonrueng, Police Station of Chiang Khong district; however, there is neither progress in investigation nor any punishment of the criminals.

If I remember rightly the Bkk Post or the Nation ran a feature on them a year or two. There was some nice elderly Thai lady looking after the wayward kids at her house or some sort of "gang HQs" south of town near Nong Hoi / Pa Daet / Saraphi, I think it was. For awhile I think there also copy gangs in Lampang & elsewhere in the North. It seemed to be a fashion fad until the police rightly jumped on them all. I that the gossip amongst the local Thais at the moment is that gang violence has been seriously rising the last few weeks / months.

But Blinkey Bill still doesn't scare me (while he's sober.)

My missus is always telling me to be careful of motorbike gangs, when driving out by myself during the night in Chiang Mai.

On a personal note in almost a year or so in Chiang Mai, ive only had one problem, this was when i departed Spicy (yeah not the best place to be - though i did leave on my own!) one night.

There is a small soi near Spicy i parked my bike down there, anyway got in my bike, in a somewhat drunken state, anyway i think to myself these thai blokes are getting a bit close, then SMACK, :o yeah had a punch in a face, weighing up my options (i was drunk and there was 4/5 of them) i decided to make a dash for it, found my thai mate went back round the corner and all the thai blokes had disappeared.

I presume they wanted my motorbike, fortunately i was lucky enough to get out of the situation before anything really happened.

The Thai blokes in the gang must have only been 17-25, my biggest worry is that they could have had a gun. If they would have pulled a gun out i think i would of gave them my bike!! :D

• 1 year later...

article on CM gangs in the Asia Times today

Myanmar drugs fuel Thai gangs

By Bertil Lintner

CHIANG MAI, Thailand - She's affectionately known as Yai Elle or Yai Aew - or Grandmother Aew - among this city's rough and tumble, narcotics-peddling youth gangs. For more than a decade, Laddawan Chaininpun, 62, has worked to help rehabilitate Chiang Mai's gangs and in the process has won many of their trust.

She got involved with the gangs initially because her nephew had joined one of Chiang Mai's most vicious gangs: the Samurais. They earned that nickname because they were often seen wielding long swords while riding motorcycles at high speed through the city at night.

more here

A friend of ours lost her business because of such a gang. She had a restaurant, rooms for rent, gang took over the rooms, would not pay or leave, scared off customers. No legend or urban myth here.

She went to the police who replied that these young men were too dangerous too deal with. :o

What they may have meant was "We are too scared of them" or "We can't take action against some of our "business partners"...

I suggested she burned down the rooms while they were out attending their criminal activities. She ended up shutting the whole place down.

Scum.

Hmm,

I was at an out of town drinking bar (south of Chiang Mai) three nights ago. I got talking to a thai man who was deadly serious when he said for a foreigner to out, alone at night on the highways was very dangerous!

I asked him why and he said that some thai criminals often target solitary riders by either using bikes or cars in tandem. They then 'close-the-vice' by driving either side and force you to a standstill and then rob you at gun-point!

Strangely he added that if you have a pillion passenger you won't get robbed, but if alone, very dangerous! :o

I responded that all I could do if that happened would be to drop the CBR 2 gears, open the throttle and hope for the best!

He looked at my bike and agreed it might have the power to out-distane the typical pick-up. Obviously I wouldn't want to put that to the test!

But it makes you wonder, there but for the grace of god ride I!

I rather take on the WHOLE Samurai Gang than Blinky Bill, although he's a very nice guy if you don't piss him off. :o

I think we need to realize that Bill is an experienced law enforcement professional, and as such, has a very different view on the situation than does the average citizen.

However, we also have to realize that the police are not always correct in their approach when dealing with gangs.

Not to imply they are 'wrong.' Just to imply there are 'other options' available.

I rather take on the WHOLE Samurai Gang than Blinky Bill, although he's a very nice guy if you don't piss him off. :D

I think we need to realize that Bill is an experienced law enforcement professional, and as such, has a very different view on the situation than does the average citizen.

However, we also have to realize that the police are not always correct in their approach when dealing with gangs.

Not to imply they are 'wrong.' Just to imply there are 'other options' available.

The police do tend to catagorize people into three groups' LEO's, Citizens, and dirtbags. They have to if they are going to function effectivly. They are not social workers, but then, neither are they 'protectors.' It is up to us to protect ourselves.

The police 'can' be effective afterwards, providing we haven't broken any laws while trying to keep our heads from being chopped off. God help us if we injure a Thai who is trying to rob us or mug us. A good pair of running shoes and a dose of common sense might just be our best solution.... along with a handful of crushed red pepper. :o

The Fly Fisherman

...Ken

Anyone who thinks the Samurai gang is gone is wrong..

I read in the Thai news that recently, about two weeks ago, that they were doing the same as they did at the Mae Jo intersection about three years ago, which involved blocking the intersection and attacking some locals on their bikes. A few kids were caught shortly after...

The Samurai gang is known to attack locals, not farangs.

Being back in Hua Hin, this reminds me how we were coming back into town one night and a gang of four guys on two motorcycles tried to force a stick into our wheels. We outran them on my CBR.

Be careful after midnight.

Heck, be careful after DARK, but especially after the streets start to clear of normal pedestrians/traffic.

I live in one of the safest areas of Thailand (small college town, province listed as the "happiest" province in Thailand by the ministry of health), and the local people love having foreigners living here: BUT I follow the above guidelines religiously. I wouldn't think of going out of town (into dark, unlit areas) on my motorbike after the sun sets. Certainly, in a tourist / city area, I would stay only on well-lit, busy streets.

Folks, you're not in the Yorshires, Darwin, or Pleasantville, Kentucky any more. You're in a third-world country with scant police protection (especially at night), and where people generally do NOT live by the rule of law. Their restrictions are imposed by peer pressure, and that varies greatly across the social spectrum.

^Good advice. If you are out at irregular hours, expect to see irregular things and try to keep a head clear enough to know what you are doing, especially if you are not in the company of others.

The average Somchai Middleclass person lives a much more closed-in existence than most foreigners, and when they go out, do so in groups.

I spent 15 years of my life in a gang. We were mostly young and a lot came from the poorer parts of town where joining the gang was a way of getting out. We learned to use guns, knives, and fists. Lots of the guys had extensive tattoos despite then it being a social taboo. We stuck together and were a force to be reckoned with. Lots of people hated and dispised us because of who we were. We were called soldiers and our gang was the Army. How times change and everything stays the same.

CB