Arranging files by date in Win 7 documents.

worgeordie

I download magazines and have folders for each one in documents,

how can i arrange them by dates, i.e. Jan 2014 - Dec 2014,at the

moment they are all mixed,because i have downloaded them at

different times, i can see a few ways to arrange them ,but none

by date, which seems stupid. is it possible ? thanks in advance.

regards Worgeordie

There are various ways of doing this but when I want to do it I prefix the file name with the date I want in this format yyyy-mm-dd as this will guarantee that alphabetic sorting by name will put them in the date order you want. Sorting by date will not necessarily sort by the date when the file was originally created.

There are various ways of doing this but when I want to do it I prefix the file name with the date I want in this format yyyy-mm-dd as this will guarantee that alphabetic sorting by name will put them in the date order you want. Sorting by date will not necessarily sort by the date when the file was originally created.

Right click on "date modified" and select "date created".

Right click on "date modified" and select "date created".

Yes, but that wont help if, for example, you have a set of monthly magazine titles which you scanned to pdf at times that dont correspond with the publication dates. Or 1970s music recently ripped from CDs issued in the 90s.

I think the best way is to date the files yourself using the yyyy-mm-dd prefix as I mentioned. Guaranteed to give you the correct order every single time when sorted alphabetically. It's what I do with all my music, though I leave off the month and date and only use the year. For my accounting files I use yyyy-mm.

Yes, but that wont help if, for example, you have a set of monthly magazine titles which you scanned to pdf at times that dont correspond with the publication dates. Or 1970s music recently ripped from CDs issued in the 90s.

I think the best way is to date the files yourself using the yyyy-mm-dd prefix as I mentioned. Guaranteed to give you the correct order every single time when sorted alphabetically. It's what I do with all my music, though I leave off the month and date and only use the year. For my accounting files I use yyyy-mm.

I agree, renaming is the better option as date created isn't always right.

Agree, but, 9 years ago I moved to Thailand and now using BE and it's screwed up all my documents BC.wink.png