100 baht a day for food. Is it still possible?

zierf1

Living on a small budget in Thailand is possible but i would strongly recommend to look for a nice cheap apartment at a low cost ( these are available all over Thailand in Thai areas but it will need a bit of footwork and knocking on a few doors to find them! ) Try and keep your accommodation to a max of 2,000 baht a month.( My costs for my room (furnished) are 2000 baht a month for rent ( inc free wifi and sat tv ) water & electric combined costs 500 baht a month max )

Monthly mobile phone top up is 150 baht ( 100 baht for private internet 20 hours per month ) and 50 baht for calls! ( all my calls are with Viber ( free ) it should be noted that i do not stroll about with a phone stuck to my ear viewers.. I normally allow 500 baht a month for Coffee,soap,toothpaste,bleach ( not for my hair...) deodorant and razors,shampoo etc etc.

I would strongly recommend to NOT buy a motor bike or car ( expensive and not needed ) I love to walk everywhere or buy a bicycle ( 1,500 baht new in tesco lotus ) it will keep you fit and no excuse with this fab weather too! ( motor bikes cost money,also extremely dangerous and will make you " bloody lazy " ) Trains are the best way for travelling long distance ( Bangkok to Hua hin from only 44 baht - " fabulous " )

Laundry costs 20 baht to use the washing machine ( i do one wash a month ) No need to iron clothes - please note that life is not a " fashion show " ( although it was for myself in the late 1970's viewers when i worked as a Male Model - " fabulous " )

Razors are just 25 baht for a pack of 5 from Tesco Lotus ( i shave once a week ) you will need and extra pack if you wish to " shave your legs " gentlemen ....

I would strongly advise to purchase a small " rice cooker " for about 200 baht - they are wonderful and you can make so many delicious dishes at home ( i make,vegetarian dishes,soups,risottos,and even make bread in it too! )

100 baht goes a long way and i budget for an average meal at around 30 baht max ( home made or bought ) Tesco lotus have some nice meals from 30 baht too! You must eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables but wash then well first! Huge 20 litre containers of water are delivered to my room for 15 baht.( i drink about 3 litres a day ) I don't drink or smoke and obviously if you do wish for a bit of " hows your father " ( romantic passion of delight ) then of course when you are living in Thailand that will be absolutely Free ( if you play your cards right !) Are you " holding Aces " viewers...?

I am on the beach most afternoons ( free ) and after 25 years of being a " beach bum " i still love it! Its nice to have a sun tan -nothing worse than pale skin on anybody! Do you look like " Rentaghost " viewers?

When you do live on 100 baht a day you will realise how much money people waste on absolute rubbish every day!

The sun is shining viewers so it's time for another daily adventure!

Regards,

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Op, You should start writing a Blog/book "Living in Thailand on a shoestring" coffee1.gif

Actually I was thinking of writing a book with that exact title! I have had enough experience at it! I remember leaving the UK in 1991 to spend some time in the Canary Islands.I only had a 100 GBP in my pocket and ended up staying 20 years! I lived in Las Palmas at the time on a weekly food budget of 1000 pesetas ( 5 GBP or 250 Thai baht ) How the hell did I do it!? lol

Farang Jaidee

• Like 1

Actually I was thinking of writing a book with that exact title! I have had enough experience at it! I remember leaving the UK in 1991 to spend some time in the Canary Islands.I only had a 100 GBP in my pocket and ended up staying 20 years! I lived in Las Palmas at the time on a weekly food budget of 1000 pesetas ( 5 GBP or 250 Thai baht ) How the hell did I do it!? lol

Farang Jaidee

No wonder why you came to Thailand, it's perfect really for people on a strict budget.

• Like 1

One of the great things of " living on a shoestring " is it makes you value things so much more! Finding rooms is not always easy and this is the most important part.Many of the cheap " Thai Style " rooms they don't want to rent them out to farangs! I spend a bit of time in Chiang Mai in the villages ( fabulous for bike rides! ) i even found rooms for 1000 baht a month with bathroom and a view overlooking a rice field.( fabulous ) My Good friend ( who will be reading this.....) called me yesterday to say he has found a lovely house there for 1,500 baht a month inc all bills!!! ( i thought i should inform the viewers......) It's even cheaper in the villages around Chiang Mai ( i am rather partial to " banana fritters " viewers and here in pattaya they are 20 baht a bag but in CM they are only 10 baht and they just " melt in your mouth "......

I normally have a haircut once a month here in Naklua @ 80 baht ( my barber is a " bloody nice bloke " ) in Chiang Mai my haircut was only 40 baht ( although i came out looking like " Black Adder " ....) I remember in the late 1970's when i was a Male Model viewers " parading along the catwalks " of the UK and would pay serious amounts of money to have my " hairdo " finely tuned.....But for 80 baht in Thailand these 80 baht barbers are bloody amazing!

But anyway back to the subject matter yes 100 baht a day goes far!

I have attached a photo that i took from the 1000 baht a month room in Chiang Mai .This is the view from the front door........

F.J xwub.png

post-193254-0-12584500-1412997339_thumb.

• Like 1

By myself, I can eat 3 meals a day for less than 100 baht a day at restaurants, easily. Don't even have to try. I get good rice dishes at sit-down places for 25-40 baht. Typically, like a ka pow moo (or similar dish) with a fried egg is 35 baht. Only one fried egg a day and you are left with 30+30+35=95 baht. If I go to the market and get the 25 baht one, even less, and if I eat noodles, like kanom jeen for one meal, cheaper as well. Or, you could go the other way and get a tomyam kai with rice, eat half of it, and heat the rest up for one of your other meals. The 60 baht tom yam is way more than I could eat with rice in one sitting. So, there are lot of options.

So, yeah....pretty simple to do in the countryside, without cooking a thing yourself. For reference, I am in a town in Isaan...not the sticks, but definitely not a big urban area.

Edited by dao16
  • Like 1

Can you post pictures of the inside of this house / room. Like one would find on a real estate website. So we can see what you're really getting (or not getting)

Sorry Mr Grinding but I am not some sort of " property tycoon " ( with a BMW and a pompous voice ) if I took you " Through the keyhole " (Loyd Grossman voice ) it would simply cause " too much excitement " for the viewers.....

Thank you for your understanding Mr Grinding .....

Mr Jaidee x

if you get 3 meals for 30 baht each and 3 waters for the day, you are over 120 baht.

Most Thai restaurants have free water or tea for customers, and for drinking water at home it costs 1 baht per liter from the water machines. Or you can get water delivered for about the same price.

If you're living here long term I don't see why you'd be getting your drinking water from 7-11 every day.

I used to drink water from the famous " water machines " until i was as " sick as a dog " ( irish accent ) so now i have my water delivered in huge containers and works out at 1 baht a litre.

Living in Thailand we should all be drinking an absolute minimum of 3 litres of water a day ! ( Not 3 litres of Leo ! ) so anybody who should buy there water from the 7 eleven is not budgeting correctly.

My important daily intake is always " fresh fruit,fresh steamed vegetables and 3 litres of water " ( inc a daily 15 KM stroll with lots of swimming and plenty of sunshine!!! ) and just for the record viewers - i may well swan about with a " Kenny Lynch Suntan " but it is very bad and very unhealthy to not have any sunshine!! Do you look like a " Rentaghost " viewers..?

Mr Jaideewai2.gif

if you get 3 meals for 30 baht each and 3 waters for the day, you are over 120 baht.

Most Thai restaurants have free water or tea for customers, and for drinking water at home it costs 1 baht per liter from the water machines. Or you can get water delivered for about the same price.

If you're living here long term I don't see why you'd be getting your drinking water from 7-11 every day.

Yeah, definitely not buying 7-11 water everyday. We have a guy who delivers bottled water at 40 baht a crate. Again, with my figures of 30-ish a meal, the bottled water delivery service would keep you under 100, even though the OP asked about eating under 100 baht a day. Some people just want life here to be expensive.

Own experience. 100thb a day for food is more than enough if you do not eat in fancy restaurants. Cooking at home can be more expensive if you live alone. Electric cooking is not a good choice in Thailand.

If you do not drink alcohol, do not need a car, make your own coffee or tea, do not eat very much meat, have a nice girl friend or do not date too much, you can live well with 10000thb/month and even have some ocasionally superflous spendings or travelings. If you live outside big cities you can rent a very nice small house on a very nice location for not more than 4000thb/month and not spending more than 500thb/month for power not using AC. Nothing wrong in living like a local people and becomes part of the local community...all the contrary.

I know many Thai young married couples having a very nice life with a total of 30000thb income from 2 jobs,, including house mortgage, new car payment, etc, etc...Again...living outside big cities and busy touristic areas...just minutes away.....ask local people...or the "right" people.

But...also is true that if you want to live, drink, eat, and date in Thailand like in your own country, driving around on a nice car, showing off, and you are a "party" guy.....no budget will be enough...

I used to drink water from the famous " water machines " until i was as " sick as a dog " ( irish accent ) so now i have my water delivered in huge containers and works out at 1 baht a litre.

Living in Thailand we should all be drinking an absolute minimum of 3 litres of water a day ! ( Not 3 litres of Leo ! ) so anybody who should buy there water from the 7 eleven is not budgeting correctly.

My important daily intake is always " fresh fruit,fresh steamed vegetables and 3 litres of water " ( inc a daily 15 KM stroll with lots of swimming and plenty of sunshine!!! ) and just for the record viewers - i may well swan about with a " Kenny Lynch Suntan " but it is very bad and very unhealthy to not have any sunshine!! Do you look like a " Rentaghost " viewers..?

Mr Jaideewai2.gif

You are not budgeting correctly either. The water machines charge 1 baht a liter. If buying in huge containers it's cheaper.

Mr Jaideewai2.gif

Isn't it also bad to have too much sun? Melanomas and all that..

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mr Jaideewai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Mr Gringting If we spent our whole lives worrying about all the hideous things we could catch we would never venture out in to the outside world! I am sure there are far more " hideous things " we can catch just by " dropping our trousers " here in Thailand....

KInd respect as always Ladies ( i was referring to " the others " and not myself of course......) F.J xwub.png

Mr Jaideewai2.gif

You are not budgeting correctly either. The water machines charge 1 baht a liter. If buying in huge containers it's cheaper.

Be carefull with the machines which deliver water; nobody come there to wash or change the filters ...

In my village in Issan we pay 5 baht for 18,9 liters of good water;

why 18,9 liter ?

because it's written on the plastik tank tongue.png

If u buy it at a pickup it's 10 baht for the same tank;

About the question, u can eat for nothing, not a satang if u go to a Wat ..

The monks will feed u for free ...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If you're living on 100 baht a day for food you should go home to your own country

What a miserable existence

Mr Bear,

If you are a person that lives a " farang lifestyle " in Thailand by eating farang food,watching farang tv,watching farang football and drinking beer,smoking,and pays for a Thai lady to live with them then Yes 100 baht a day would be a " miserable existence " ........

I don't drink,i don't smoke,i don't go to bars and i do not pay for ladies. so 100 baht is plenty to live a nice lifestyle!

Farang Jaidee wub.png

• Like 2

If you're living on 100 baht a day for food you should go home to your own country

Mr Bear,

If you are a person that lives a " farang lifestyle " in Thailand by eating farang food,watching farang tv,watching farang football and drinking beer,smoking,and pays for a Thai lady to live with them then Yes 100 baht a day would be a " miserable existence " ........

I don't drink,i don't smoke,i don't go to bars and i do not pay for ladies. so 100 baht is plenty to live a nice lifestyle!

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Yes if you belive a very nice lifestyle is sitting on the beach the whole day. And then sitting in your fan room the whole evening. Never go to a nice restaurant, pub or bar. No movie theater, concerts. Not go out socialize and meet other people in normal places. No air-travel. No car or motorcycle. No to anything that will cost more than 25 baht....................

I could understand it if you stayed in a small village in Isaan or the countryside somewhere. But why would someone with your lifestyle like to stay in Pattaya ?

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mr Bear,

Farang Jaidee alt=wub.png>

Yes if you belive a very nice lifestyle is sitting on the beach the whole day. And then sitting in your fan room the whole evening. Never go to a nice restaurant, pub or bar. No movie theater, concerts. Not go out socialize and meet other people in normal places. No air-travel. No car or motorcycle. No to anything that will cost more than 25 baht....................

I could understand it if you stayed in a small village in Isaan or the countryside somewhere. But why would someone with your lifestyle like to stay in Pattaya ?

My room is a 15 minute from the beach.I came to Thailand for the weather and outdoor lifestyle and thai food.I choose not to drive a car or motor bike ( out of choice ) i prefer a bicycle.I use the trains most weeks for travel.I flew to Chiang Mai recently with Thai Lion Air for 600 baht ( excellent ) I socialize every day being out and about ( i don't need to go to a bar,its not my scene! I watch about 3 movies a year ( Taken 3 & The Equalizer are on the list! ) i miss my jazz concerts from living in Spain but i can put up with that! I love the village scene in Isaan and in Chiang Mai but i do love to get out and about socializing in the street or wherever i am and thoroughly enjoy my afternoons on the beach most afternoons! I love the sun and have been a beach bum for almost 30 years! The village life is great ( i admit ) but nothing better than the sea breeze and strolling in the sun and a pleasant swim to cool down............

F.J wub.png

• Like 1

Mr Bear,

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Luckily i don't fit that stereotype.

You however, despite your outward projection......IMO, are minutes away from being national headlines when you walk into a school and kill a load of kids....

Just saying

No way a person that hates bars, beer, bargirls, restaurants, pubs, discos and nightlife would stay in Pattaya. And doing so because he like the beach life and svimming. Pattaya is all about nightlife, beer and Girls. And have the worst beaches in Thailand. I bet we can find Mr canarysun arguing and dealing with the women/girls at the beach road, to get one home in his fan room for 100 baht every evening...........

I don't hate anything! lol

I am just being " me " i do what i enjoy doing. Pattaya doesn't have the best beaches and of course i find some of the Thai Ladies very pleasing to the eye.I just choose not to get involved.I didn't come to Thailand looking for " love and romance " ..... Naklua is only a 30 minute stroll from the centre of town but i quite like it. Cheap rooms,a 15 minute stroll to the beach,35 minute stroll to the train station.( fab couple of hours out in the morning with a picnic lunch ) 10 minute stroll to Tesco Lotus. ( I haven't walked along Beach Road in a long time! )

Just for the record " if " i was to meet a lady i most certainly would not bring her back to my room! Works out better to visit there room then you don't risk " getting stalked " afterwards...... ( Good advice Gentlemen ! )

Bye for now viewers.... " The Beach is calling " ......biggrin.png

Why did you guys wind up the Bird Man........?? Listen up, not all Thai food comes wrapped up in a plastic bag or served on a plastic table. I don't understand why some are inclined to brag about how cheaply they can survive. Me, I haven't had a budget since I was 10 yrs. old. So, you work hard all your lives and in the end you are left bragging about how cheap you can live instead of how well you live. Unbelievable..............

• Like 2

Why did you guys wind up the Bird Man........?? Listen up, not all Thai food comes wrapped up in a plastic bag or served on a plastic table. I don't understand why some are inclined to brag about how cheaply they can survive. Me, I haven't had a budget since I was 10 yrs. old. So, you work hard all your lives and in the end you are left bragging about how cheap you can live instead of how well you live. Unbelievable..............

Agreed. I work hard now and absolutly love being able to live in a nice house with AC. I love Thai food, I love Italian food, and you know what?, i love a big fat steak now and again.

These guys that live like this are the biggest snobs you'll meet. They try and make you feel guilty for working hard and earning a good wage allowing you to live a very comfortable life in Thailand.

I dount any of the showsting mob are happy in reality. The fact that this guy mentions how great his life is in every post says to me he's bitterly unhappy and second away from killing many people in a rage

Don't think it is about bragging....I just don't find it hard to eat 3 good, large Thai meals a day on less than 100 baht. That isn't even in penny-pinching territory. Of course, in the last week alone I have had some foreign food a few times in different places and some more expensive meals out on the town, but during regular daily life, I don't find the need to spend more than 30-35 baht on very good Thai meals in a small town. I order and it gets delivered straight to my place with plates, spoons and forks, and then they come pick them up when I am done.

If I didn't get the craving for foreign food sometimes I would easily be on 100 baht a day for my own personal food (I have a family, though, and they have to eat...I am assuming the OP is on his own).

No way a person that hates bars, beer, bargirls, restaurants, pubs, discos and nightlife would stay in Pattaya. And doing so because he like the beach life and svimming. Pattaya is all about nightlife, beer and Girls. And have the worst beaches in Thailand. I bet we can find Mr canarysun arguing and dealing with the women/girls at the beach road, to get one home in his fan room for 100 baht every evening...........

I don't hate anything! lol

I am just being " me " i do what i enjoy doing. Pattaya doesn't have the best beaches and of course i find some of the Thai Ladies very pleasing to the eye.I just choose not to get involved.I didn't come to Thailand looking for " love and romance " ..... Naklua is only a 30 minute stroll from the centre of town but i quite like it. Cheap rooms,a 15 minute stroll to the beach,35 minute stroll to the train station.( fab couple of hours out in the morning with a picnic lunch ) 10 minute stroll to Tesco Lotus. ( I haven't walked along Beach Road in a long time! )

Just for the record " if " i was to meet a lady i most certainly would not bring her back to my room! Works out better to visit there room then you don't risk " getting stalked " afterwards...... ( Good advice Gentlemen ! )

Bye for now viewers.... " The Beach is calling " ......biggrin.png

Another good advice/prediction: You will never meet a nice lady that have a nice room that she will bring you back to...................The ones that have those rooms don't like the "kee nook" farangs smile.png

And Franky Bear have a good point in his statement about "When somebody post and tell us in every post how great his life and lifestyle is" then there is something wrong.........

It's funny when someone is trying to convince us that the came to Thailand, and then choose to live in Pattaya because he likes swimming and beaches.........

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

Mr Jaideewai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Mr Gringting If we spent our whole lives worrying about all the hideous things we could catch we would never venture out in to the outside world! I am sure there are far more " hideous things " we can catch just by " dropping our trousers " here in Thailand....

KInd respect as always Ladies ( i was referring to " the others " and not myself of course......) F.J xwub.png

my comment did not imply one should not go outside at all in fear of getting skin cancer, i was leaning towards taking in sun in moderation. as staying out all day in the sun roasting your skin will increase your chances of skin cancer, that is a proven fact… at least for us 'white folk'

Edited by Grindting

Mr Bear,

If you are a person that lives a " farang lifestyle " in Thailand by eating farang food,watching farang tv,watching farang football and drinking beer,smoking,and pays for a Thai lady to live with them

You've just described most middle class Thai men.

You can consider the 'pays for the Thai lady to live with them' as the Mia Noi he keeps in a cosy apartment, who he'll visit say twice a week after office hours

It would take a lot more to wind me up!

(But I do seem to be doing " a rather splendid job " winding up some of our viewers who have a " more serious " outlook on life.....)

Did you say you have all been working hard viewers? It's just that I am 50 years old and haven't worked a single day in my life......

God bless you all! F.J x

It would take a lot more to wind me up!

(But I do seem to be doing " a rather splendid job " winding up some of our viewers who have a " more serious " outlook on life.....)

Did you say you have all been working hard viewers? It's just that I am 50 years old and haven't worked a single day in my life......

God bless you all! F.J x

And look where not ever having a job has got you.... N awful life living like a vagrant in a third world country

• Like 1