Forum upgrade in progress! ×

100 baht a day for food. Is it still possible?

zierf1

The "pleasure ROI" idea in the AnotherOne American's previous post is the answer.. , so it's different for each individual and circumstances.

I pay the difference when there is a difference ... if not I consider it's a waste

And if you have decided to spend no more than 100TB a day for your food, then do it with pleasure, maximise your ROI with this constraint because it's possible in Thailand

What becomes of your meal once you've eaten it, is about the same, whatever you paid for it anyway....

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

it will probably cost you a 100bth to cook it at home they way some landlord charge for the power sad.png

hope you can do keep us posted

That's a point. With those electric appliances, the power (even if your landlord's not scalping) is likely to be the largest cost.

Soon after coming here I concluded it was actually cheaper for me to eat out than to cook for myself, given wastage (I'm not terribly organized) and fuel and power costs.

Now I have a wife who's even cheaper than I am and birddogs the markets for really cheap ingredients. Sometimes I have to do the shopping just so I can spend a little money.

You can buy a pretty good Pork Omelette with rice in the MaxValue below my condo (on Sukhumvit in Bangkok) for the princely sum of 20 baht.

There are many other food options that would allow you to eat 3 or 4 times a day and have change out of 100 baht, even without cooking it yourself.

That's a point. With those electric appliances, the power (even if your landlord's not scalping) is likely to be the largest cost.

Soon after coming here I concluded it was actually cheaper for me to eat out than to cook for myself, given wastage (I'm not terribly organized) and fuel and power costs.

Cooking with my Otto pyrex oven costs approx 3bht/hr.

Bread rolls take 20mins (that's 1bht of electricity for 6 rolls)

Biscuits take 20mins (1bht of electricity for 8 biscuits)

Your conclusions were in error.

I don't wish to come across as " slightly tight " but if you take a stroll to your nearest Tesco Lotus at around 20.00 most of the cooked food and cakes ( don't you just love there banana cakes viewers?) Everything is on offer at half price! But you must be "on the ball" viewers as there will be Thais and farangs " sniffing about " for a last minute deal.....

Are you feeling overwhelmed with excitement viewers....?

Farang Jaidee x

• Like 2

This depends on what type of food you buy. When I lived in Bangkok last year as an exchange student, I only spent 200 baht a week cooking for 2 people. Which comes out to 100 baht per person per week.

How did I do it? I bought beans, brown rice and sesame oil from Tesco. Fruit, vegetables, tofu, noodles and coconut milk, from the local market at Thewes. I would also occasionally shop at the Vegetarian Society near Chatuchak which has great prices on curry pastes, mock meats, rice, cleaning products etc.

With the money saved, my fiancee and I were able to afford to go out once a week and eat an expensive Western style meal with imported beer/wine on Sukhumvit. The reward was well worth it!

If you plan on purchasing meat, dairy, and wheat products though, I'm sure you'll spend a lot more than 100 baht a week.

Good luck! smile.png

Edited by sarahv
  • Like 1

This depends on what type of food you buy. When I lived in Bangkok, I only spent 200 baht a week cooking for 2 people. Which comes out to 100 baht per person per week.

How did I do it? I bought beans, brown rice and sesame oil from Tesco. Fruit, vegetables, tofu, noodles and coconut milk, from the local market at Thewes. I would also occasionally shop at the Vegetarian Society near Chatuchak which has great prices on curry pastes, mock meats, rice, cleaning products etc.

If you plan on purchasing meat, dairy, and wheat products though, I'm sure you'll spend a lot more than 100 baht a week.

Good luck! :)

Yehh 14 baht a day on food. You win and you are the new Cheap Charlie Champion

I am helping the woman at my restaurant. "Huge plates 50 baht"

Send her son to college. I give 2000 a month. He is brilliant and wants to be an aviation engineer. Different way of looking at things I guess.

don't know about anyone else, but if you really needed too you could live on less than 100Baht a day pretty much anywhere in the world example.. Nissin top Ramen noodles are 30 cents (10 Baht) a pack at the local supermarket in California, and totals 380 calories, so 5 packs would give you 2000 calories a day at a cost of 50 Baht add in some bulk rice and cheap fruit & Veg and you are surviving at 100 Baht a day, and all you would need is an electric kettle and a spoon! smile.png Heck you can live off the carts in Thailand for 100Baht a day, or buy western food for 300 Baht from a side alley restaurant ( there's a good one off of Loi Kroh road in the center of Chiang Mai, any western or Thai meal for 98 Baht smile.png

Of course it's possible even eating out you can find good quality freshly cooked dishes in town.Terminal 21 food hall on level 5 is a perfect example of really good cheap quality selections ranging from 30 baht for spicy pork noodle soup to 60 baht for a stir fried meat dish.A small mango/sticky rice desert brings in a 3 course meal at just over the 100 baht ...how licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif good is that?

I'm going totally native this time around. The goal is to get my living expenses to the same level as a Thai worker. I will be spending 100 baht a day on Thai food, most of it cooked in my 2-3k a month "room". I will be living 100% as a Thai native. I currently eat at food stalls most of the time. I think I can save 50% of the costs if I cook these same meals myself. I have tried to estimate how many bags of rice, eggs, cooking oil and veggies I will need to puchase at the market. I will try to catch some fish in the ocean as a free bonuswai2.gif . I will have a rice cooker, fridge to keep meat cold and an electric skillet. Can it be done? What do you think?biggrin.pngw00t.gif

Why???

"

Guys! ( i mean viewers.... )

What is important to realize is that yes you can live cheaply here in Thailand! i don't know many places in the world where it is possible to live on 6000 baht a month all in ( inc rent - the bloody lot! ) But please remember that i am a " single " Man living a realistic lifestyle here.I have travelled all over the world and have always adapted to live in that country as a local.But many farang come over here to a new country and are " clueless " as to how to live in Thailand as a Thai.Many people will bring with them everything from farangland living " exactly " the same life they did over there but in Thailand.Some also cannot possibly even imagine life without a Thai lady and would be " terrified at the thought of being alone just for 5 minutes " and so end up " paying a lady ( in a desperate state of mind ) to live with them and take care of them offering a 24 hour round the clock service.

and then the complications will start to " kick in " .........These types of farang ( respect to you all ) cannot live on the same budget and will broadcast to the world that Thailand is expensive! ( when it is clearly not )

It's 07.10 here in Thailand and after 3 morning coffees ( buddy dean 3 in 1 ) it's time for a nice gentle 15 km morning stroll followed by a spot of lunch ( seasonal fruit ) and then i will hopefully be on the beach in the afternoon " soaking up all the lovely sunshine " at the waters edge whilst listening to some seriously cool tunes from Pete Tong's essential collection,idle chit with whoever takes my fancy and generally being rather silly.............

Good day to you all viewers!

Mr Jaidee wub.png.pagespeed.ce.9P3l1A0pfA.png"

This thread is about food and the cost of it only so please focus.

• Like 1

"average" implies that you have to spend less than 100 baht on occasion because as I stated if you ever have a drink or a coffee or a snack will blow your budget of 100 baht. So if one day a week you spend 150 for that day, you need to spend 75 baht for 2 days to balance it out. I don't think anyone that says they spend only 100 baht a day for any extended time like 2 years is accurate. I think that most people don't realize how much they do spend on incidentals. As I have stated in other threads a budget is a guideline and most people go over it. 3k baht a month for food means that you only spend 36000 for the year. Which again is doable and many poor spend less but they also grow their own vegetables/fruits.

if you get 3 meals for 30 baht each and 3 waters for the day, you are over 120 baht.

As for those that travel all over to find the cheapest eateries are you calculating the cost of your trip?

For the cheapest 100 baht a week champion, you are young so you can ruin your body with a poor diet but eating only beans and rice is not healthy for long periods. A purely vegetarian diet requires a little more money because you need to have a balance to get the proper proteins, your body needs.

My point with 200 baht a day is not that should be the goal but that most claiming to only spend 100 probably spend closer to 200 because we often buy little extras that we forget to calculate. So to average 100 baht a day you probably should be aiming at about 75 baht a day to actually achieve it.

• Like 1

"average" implies that you have to spend less than 100 baht on occasion because as I stated if you ever have a drink or a coffee or a snack will blow your budget of 100 baht. So if one day a week you spend 150 for that day, you need to spend 75 baht for 2 days to balance it out. I don't think anyone that says they spend only 100 baht a day for any extended time like 2 years is accurate. I think that most people don't realize how much they do spend on incidentals. As I have stated in other threads a budget is a guideline and most people go over it. 3k baht a month for food means that you only spend 36000 for the year. Which again is doable and many poor spend less but they also grow their own vegetables/fruits.

Again, we are talking about food, not entertainment.

Can't see how you can include coffee as food, by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want to include coffee, then cigarettes and beer should also be included.

• Like 1

If you have a meal and then drink a beer or wine then it is apart of your food bill. If you go out for a night drinking then entertainment.

I don't know many people that drink coffee for entertainment. Most I know drink it with or for breakfast or after a meal.

Deserts in your opinion should be entertainment too but they are food.

Coffee is a food, so is chocolate but you could also call it a drug since they were originally used medicinally like coca cola but I think most people today still consider them food.

" I will have a rice cooker, fridge to keep meat cold and an electric skillet. Can it be done? What do you think?"

OP, where I live in Isaan, people haven't got the luxuries you are mentioning above.

They cook sticky rice with fire made of wood and also they boil some vegetables they collect from the fields around.

So if you want to live as Thais do up here, you can do it much cheaper than 100Baht a day.

Let's see how long you will last................

Fire with wood, pure luxury where i was in Isan they only had rice husks to cook on and fish from the river when it flooded.

Seriously though, two years back i had a few months having to live on the bear minimal in Khon Kaen and even buying food out and at the local market you could do three meals a day cooked, Padpark roomid Gai ( Mix veg and chicken) 25 to 30B Khai Dow (Fried Egg) another 10 B so i am sure you can easily live on a 100B a day cooking at home and a fridge what luxury.

Having said that it would be wise to save for that end on week or month depression as you will need to binge on something once in while to stay sane Tesco 100B a whole chicken.

All the best

Living on a small budget in Thailand is possible but i would strongly recommend to look for a nice cheap apartment at a low cost ( these are available all over Thailand in Thai areas but it will need a bit of footwork and knocking on a few doors to find them! ) Try and keep your accommodation to a max of 2,000 baht a month.( My costs for my room (furnished) are 2000 baht a month for rent ( inc free wifi and sat tv ) water & electric combined costs 500 baht a month max )

Monthly mobile phone top up is 150 baht ( 100 baht for private internet 20 hours per month ) and 50 baht for calls! ( all my calls are with Viber ( free ) it should be noted that i do not stroll about with a phone stuck to my ear viewers.. I normally allow 500 baht a month for Coffee,soap,toothpaste,bleach ( not for my hair...) deodorant and razors,shampoo etc etc.

I would strongly recommend to NOT buy a motor bike or car ( expensive and not needed ) I love to walk everywhere or buy a bicycle ( 1,500 baht new in tesco lotus ) it will keep you fit and no excuse with this fab weather too! ( motor bikes cost money,also extremely dangerous and will make you " bloody lazy " ) Trains are the best way for travelling long distance ( Bangkok to Hua hin from only 44 baht - " fabulous " )

Laundry costs 20 baht to use the washing machine ( i do one wash a month ) No need to iron clothes - please note that life is not a " fashion show " ( although it was for myself in the late 1970's viewers when i worked as a Male Model - " fabulous " )

Razors are just 25 baht for a pack of 5 from Tesco Lotus ( i shave once a week ) you will need and extra pack if you wish to " shave your legs " gentlemen ....

I would strongly advise to purchase a small " rice cooker " for about 200 baht - they are wonderful and you can make so many delicious dishes at home ( i make,vegetarian dishes,soups,risottos,and even make bread in it too! )

100 baht goes a long way and i budget for an average meal at around 30 baht max ( home made or bought ) Tesco lotus have some nice meals from 30 baht too! You must eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables but wash then well first! Huge 20 litre containers of water are delivered to my room for 15 baht.( i drink about 3 litres a day ) I don't drink or smoke and obviously if you do wish for a bit of " hows your father " ( romantic passion of delight ) then of course when you are living in Thailand that will be absolutely Free ( if you play your cards right !) Are you " holding Aces " viewers...?

I am on the beach most afternoons ( free ) and after 25 years of being a " beach bum " i still love it! Its nice to have a sun tan -nothing worse than pale skin on anybody! Do you look like " Rentaghost " viewers?

When you do live on 100 baht a day you will realise how much money people waste on absolute rubbish every day!

The sun is shining viewers so it's time for another daily adventure!

Regards,

Farang Jaidee wub.png

• Like 2

As others have said, change your OP to thai labourer (actually Burmese or cambo) or thai poorper or thai beggar. No thai I know restricts themselves in that way, and they 'work' average jobs.

In issan as others have said they use wood fires and collect rain water. But as you probably live in BKK / patts etc you can just raid the bins like Canarysun to make additional savings ( "only kidding" .. Hey viewers? )

Edited by Grindting
  • Like 1

What about just eating one meal a day and drink fruit juice and other liquids, you will get slimmer and still feel great. You can do this for a few months without any problems as long as the one meal you eat is healthy and contains all the nutrients you will need for one day. Would keep you within the budget as well.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Living on a small budget in Thailand is possible but i would strongly recommend to look for a nice cheap apartment at a low cost ( these are available all over Thailand in Thai areas but it will need a bit of footwork and knocking on a few doors to find them! ) Try and keep your accommodation to a max of 2,000 baht a month.( My costs for my room (furnished) are 2000 baht a month for rent ( inc free wifi and sat tv ) water & electric combined costs 500 baht a month max )

Monthly mobile phone top up is 150 baht ( 100 baht for private internet 20 hours per month ) and 50 baht for calls! ( all my calls are with Viber ( free ) it should be noted that i do not stroll about with a phone stuck to my ear viewers.. I normally allow 500 baht a month for Coffee,soap,toothpaste,bleach ( not for my hair...) deodorant and razors,shampoo etc etc.

I would strongly recommend to NOT buy a motor bike or car ( expensive and not needed ) I love to walk everywhere or buy a bicycle ( 1,500 baht new in tesco lotus ) it will keep you fit and no excuse with this fab weather too! ( motor bikes cost money,also extremely dangerous and will make you " bloody lazy " ) Trains are the best way for travelling long distance ( Bangkok to Hua hin from only 44 baht - " fabulous " )

Laundry costs 20 baht to use the washing machine ( i do one wash a month ) No need to iron clothes - please note that life is not a " fashion show " ( although it was for myself in the late 1970's viewers when i worked as a Male Model - " fabulous " )

Razors are just 25 baht for a pack of 5 from Tesco Lotus ( i shave once a week ) you will need and extra pack if you wish to " shave your legs " gentlemen ....

I would strongly advise to purchase a small " rice cooker " for about 200 baht - they are wonderful and you can make so many delicious dishes at home ( i make,vegetarian dishes,soups,risottos,and even make bread in it too! )

100 baht goes a long way and i budget for an average meal at around 30 baht max ( home made or bought ) Tesco lotus have some nice meals from 30 baht too! You must eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables but wash then well first! Huge 20 litre containers of water are delivered to my room for 15 baht.( i drink about 3 litres a day ) I don't drink or smoke and obviously if you do wish for a bit of " hows your father " ( romantic passion of delight ) then of course when you are living in Thailand that will be absolutely Free ( if you play your cards right !) Are you " holding Aces " viewers...?

I am on the beach most afternoons ( free ) and after 25 years of being a " beach bum " i still love it! Its nice to have a sun tan -nothing worse than pale skin on anybody! Do you look like " Rentaghost " viewers?

When you do live on 100 baht a day you will realise how much money people waste on absolute rubbish every day!

The sun is shining viewers so it's time for another daily adventure!

Regards,

Farang Jaidee wub.png

What about showing a couple of photos of this nice apartment ? You have told us about the apartment & wifi in 20 threads now. Edited by larsjohnsson

How many days do you get out of 1 pair of undies/jocks ?

• Like 1