Foreign Couple caught on CCTV stealing Pick-up in North Pattaya

Rimmer

In the UK I can understand why criminals steal cars because the punishment is a "slap on the wrist" by our pathetic Courts, but here, I wonder what the punishment would be? 6 months inside? Any ideas?

The police in UK now use ANPR Automatic Number Plate Recognition so try driving a vehicle without a valid test certificate, insurance, tax or licence. You get picked up asked to vacate the vehicle which is then confiscated and destroyed no matter what age or model and just to add to the good news you then get done for any of the above offences. Some slap on the wrist.

Now imagine the same system introduced in Thailand.

A very bold move by the tourists, I simply can't understand why they do it.

The quality tourists Thailand really wants, I guess not.

I missed the bit where it said they are tourists, is there a link to another page or something? Maybe they're retired foreigners?

Maybe they were pale skin Asians whistling.gif

There are lots of skin whitening creams available rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Leaves the vehicle unlocked with the engiine running - hope he also left the aircon on for them - what a plonker !

I think he also left a bag of MacDonald's food , large coke , large fries and his wallet on the front seat as well .

In the UK I can understand why criminals steal cars because the punishment is a "slap on the wrist" by our pathetic Courts, but here, I wonder what the punishment would be? 6 months inside? Any ideas?

Hear in the UK people do not pull up and leave their cars unlocked with the engines running, as a result car thieves are left with very few options as modern cars can not be hot wired and they are steel old cars that pre-date all the modern technology that prevents hot wiring, break into houses to steel car keys or car-jacking.

I certainly would like to see heavier punishment for such thieves, may be making some form of order that they have to pay compensation to their victims that will only end when they do pay the compensation or they die, until then they should:

Not be allowed to drive

Not allowed a passport

Not allowed to own property

Not allowed to claim any lottery prizes

Not allowed to collect any damages against them that the courts may award them, (how annoying it is to read of a convicted criminal suing the prison governor because his mattress was to hard knowing there are victims of his crimes who did not get a penny from him)

Edited by Basil B

A very bold move by the tourists, I simply can't understand why they do it.

The quality tourists Thailand really wants, I guess not.

I missed the bit where it said they are tourists, is there a link to another page or something? Maybe they're retired foreigners?

Good point about "tourists. If they get caught maybe they will be "retired" to a place they wish they had never visited!

• Like 1

If you read the rest of the story I can understand why they did it. Taxi fares are too high so much better to borrow a car.

The vehicle was found abandoned at the Northern end of Pattaya Second Road, outside of the Night Bazaar. A GPS Navigator had been taken but a bag containing 15,000 Baht, which was left in plain view, had been left by the couple.

People nearby saw the couple leave the vehicle and walk towards the Dolphin Roundabout. Police suspect the pair may have used the opportunity to take the vehicle so they could avoid a Taxi fare and are now searching for them.

Edited by balo