Please help me, with my wife's kids.

Costas2008

I will be very frank with you here and you can hit me as hard as you like with your answers.

My wife has 2 boys, 15 and 16 years old.

At the beginning of our lives together, I did try hard to get near these boys, befriend them and try to substitute the love they lost from their father.

Saying that, that father of theirs has left them when they were 2 and 3 and never appeared again.

Anyway, doesn’t matter how much I tried, I was always the strange farang for them, taking away their mother and I was never allowed to approach them.

Seeing, how much they detested me, I decided to put them at the age of 12 and 13 to private boarding schools and see them every weekend when I had to go and bring them home.

The kids, had no success, whatsoever with the schools and many times we were called to go there because they had hit somebody on the head, caught smoking, recently smoked marijuana, and generally being interested in any wrongdoing except learning anything.

The schools kept them, because they are more interested in the money than their academic career.

Now the schools are on vacation.

They are back and keep looking at me as a strange animal.

I don’t want to be tough with them, I have no right to do so.

Please help me, what should I do?

Disappear for a month?

That will hurt my wife that I love immensely.

Any advice is welcome.

Edited by Rooo
font
  • Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

costas the one thing you havent mentioned, how is your wife with them ?

She is heartbroken with them, as she can understand that they are not heading for a bright future.

She is constantly trying to show them the right way, but we no results.

Many times she has been crying and being very confused with them.

But, they are her sons and she loves them with no conditions.

In fact she feels worst than me, torn between her love for her sons and her affection for me.

Costas...maybe all of the disruption they are causing is attention seeking?

Maybe you could take them away somewhere neutral and have a honesty session with them where you all get to be honest Ina neutral environment.

I always tell my kids the truth and I challenge them to do the same.

Find how they really feel and they you can all adapt to reality.

You may be surprised at how they really feel. I hope you find some peace with them and be honest..tell them that you can see that they are off the rails. All you can really do is warn them that they are potentially headed for personal grief if they don't take advantage of what you have kindly gifted to them...ie a chance at a good education.

I went to boarding school ..it isn't that bad and it offers discipline and education if you are smart enough to utilise it.

Good luck

Costas, been thinking whistling.gif , have known many farangs over the years with kid baggage, I cannot think of one farang that gets on with the baggage. some may make it look OK but naaaaaaaaaaaah.

Sure folk will come on and say everything is honey with them but from what I have seen that will be a rarity..sad.png

• Like 1

Talk to them. Talk to them about their future and making money. Make yourself valuable. Let them know the long-term benefits of being on your good side. Set strict limits on what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Stick to those rules, even in unforeseen circumstances.

It will take a lot of time for them to trust you. Farangs here do not have a good reputation, and that is 'well' earned. Spend time with each one, separately. Get to know them --their talents and interests, their favorite ice cream...

I cracked this nut before, and it takes strength and patience. Be the hard line, let Mom be the soft one.

They will respond.

PS: Ifanyone gives you crap for being a human being and asking for advice please ignore them.

• Like 1

Talk to them. Talk to them about their future and making money. Make yourself valuable. Let them know the long-term benefits of being on your good side. Set strict limits on what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Stick to those rules, even in unforeseen circumstances.

It will take a lot of time for them to trust you. Farangs here do not have a good reputation, and that is 'well' earned. Spend time with each one, separately. Get to know them --their talents and interests, their favorite ice cream...

I cracked this nut before, and it takes strength and patience. Be the hard line, let Mom be the soft one.

They will respond.

PS: Ifanyone gives you crap for being a human being and asking for advice please ignore them.

You were interested in ice cream persuasion at 16 blink.png .

Farangs are aliens, tolerated money source, thats it. Mrs.Trans and I get on great but her kids are another story. Similar situation to the OP. And I have tried everything. sad.png

• Like 2

Sound like normal boys, like the two my wife's sister has. She married a farang....and for the past 8 years the boys were nothing but strangers and rabble rousers to him. The mom buys them brand new cars, houses, motorbikes, and the 15 year old gets to stay out of school and do the wild thing with all the girls (takes them to his own house). The Canadian surrogate father says nothing....nothing.....

15 year old runs his motorbike gang 24/7.

She paid to get the 15 year old a high school diploma and then put him in college. He never goes.

The 19 year old has impregnated 3 girls from good families and the mom adopted 2 of the kids....who will also be strangers to the farang grandfather. The families of the girls asked for the right thing (sin sod and marriage)..and were laughed out of the house by the mom. So much for that fantasy custom.

Edited by slipperylobster

Costas, been thinking whistling.gif , have known many farangs over the years with kid baggage, I cannot think of one farang that gets on with the baggage. some may make it look OK but naaaaaaaaaaaah.

Sure folk will come on and say everything is honey with them but from what I have seen that will be a rarity..sad.png

I know a guy whose stepson cut his own trigger finger off to escape the conscription. He also stole a donation box from the police station so he would be arrested because he didn't want to work. Even the mother disowned him!

They will respond.

I have spend hours, days, years, talking to them, me and their mother, trying to show them the right way in life, trying to tell them what is right and what is wrong.

I don't even remember spending so much time and effort with my own kids.

But what I get back is either a "khrap" or most of the time "it's my business or it's my life"

I have taken them to many trips alone or together, I had never given them any satisfaction.

Last April I took them to Chiang Rai, a famous Buddhist school for meditation and self awareness.

They pretended they changed for 3 days after and back to normal.

I can't really see what else I can do for them.

I want to help them, but I also have a life and I worked hard to be entitled to a better way of living now.

They will respond.

I have spend hours, days, years, talking to them, me and their mother, trying to show them the right way in life, trying to tell them what is right and what is wrong.

I don't even remember spending so much time and effort with my own kids.

But what I get back is either a "khrap" or most of the time "it's my business or it's my life"

I have taken them to many trips alone or together, I had never given them any satisfaction.

Last April I took them to Chiang Rai, a famous Buddhist school for meditation and self awareness.

They pretended they changed for 3 days after and back to normal.

I can't really see what else I can do for them.

I want to help them, but I also have a life and I worked hard to be entitled to a better way of living now.

I think the only option open to you is to detach yourself from them in as many ways as you can, while living your life with their mother. Whenever it comes down to them needing your money, just shake your head.

• Like 2

Im not sure if my story will be of any benefit to the op as my story is the exact opposite of his.

My ex-wife has 2 daughters who are 19 and 20 years old. When I first got together with their mother they were 8 and 9 years old and narak mahk. I used to take them to school and pick them up from school on my motor cycle. I was always the one to have the time for them as their mother was always busy and their father had another woman who they did not like.

I got a divorce from their mother a year and a half ago but I am still close to the girls. Both are attending university and most of the funds come from me although their father is starting to make a contribution. The girls still come to stay with me from time to time and they want to look after me when I can no longer look after myself.

I still treat them as my daughters and could not be prouder of them.

Girls are different and not comparable to boys.

Girls don't hate you for having sex with their mom.

• Like 2

I raised once 5 step-kids for 19 years and I would never ever do it again. On the end you will hear you are not my father after bringing three of them through ISB in Bangkok.

Never ever again will I take someone's kid again. Now I have my own 2 year old son.

in 17 years you will hear the same from him.

Costas2008:

I really feel where you're coming from, and thank you for sharing your story.

For some reason, I have had great success raising my daughter and mentoring her 4 female cousins, but I am really in the dark about how to bond with Thai boys. I have taught for many years and I can totally relate to that feeling that it is almost impossible to bond with some of the boys. I wish I could offer you some profound insights, but I just don't know of any.

The thing which would keep me up at night isn't so much what to do on summer break, but what's going to happen when they matriculate from high school, or stop attending school. In my experience, the shit can really hit the fan if the boys don't have any direction in their lives. Some start selling drugs (and quickly get busted and come back home after a stint in the penitentary.) Others get married or get some girl pregnant. Nobody has any money, so they all end up living with Mom and Dad. Some of these kids can vegetate around the house for years. That sounds like a nightmare you want to try and avoid at all costs.

One suggestion about what to do on school break is rent somewhere by the beach for a month. They can do their thing, you and your wife can have a little vacation. Meet up at supper time, but give them plenty of room. When I read that you have tried talking to them until you're blue in the face, it made me think that sometimes you just have to let the kid come to you. If they never do, so be it. But, again, I'd start focusing on what's going to happen post-graduation and make sure these two kids don't become permanent fixtures around the house. Start pressing them to come up with a post-graduation plan.

• Like 2

I raised once 5 step-kids for 19 years and I would never ever do it again. On the end you will hear you are not my father after bringing three of them through ISB in Bangkok.

Never ever again will I take someone's kid again. Now I have my own 2 year old son.

in 17 years you will hear the same from him.

Don't think so but any way he is at least my child. BTW My 5 step kids were not Thai's but Singaporeans.