Poll reveals leading economists have confidence in PM’s economic team

Lite Beer

This is what the survey means to me:

Positve Prediction

Success in transport development (78.1%), export promotion (54.7%) and expanded taxation (53.1%). – can’t fail. The first two just require funding from the government. THERE ARE NO ECONOMICS INVOLVED. The last is a mere legislative action. THERE ARE NO ECONOMICS INVOLVED.

Nuetral Prediction (50/50) which is like a weather forecast for partly sunny with chance of rain.

Overall economic policies will work.

51% confidence in the knowledge and capabilities of Gen. Prayuth’s economic team (adding a survey error of 1% to avoid potential violation of martial law to criticize the NCPO)

Negative Prediction

Most likely to fail are agricultural zoning, the improved efficiency, transparency and accountability of state enterprises and the enhancement of the capability of small and medium-sized enterprises (53.1%). ECONOMICS ARE INVOLVED. These areas directly impact the national economy, are controlled directly by the government, and failure will only serve to further decrease the GDP growth rate for 2015.

Thailand’s GDP was at an all-time high in 2013 at about $387 billion USD with an average projected 4.5% growth rate of GDP for 2014. Thailand’s actual GDP growth rate for 2014 is 1.6%. This means that the anti-government demonstrations and military coup potentially cost Thailand about 3% of GDP or about $11.6 billion USD or B.360 billion ($1USD=B31). [since the government obligation for the rice pledge program applied to BOTH the Yingluck and Junta regimes, for comparison purposes it is cancels out].

I do not find this survey very encouraging to Thailand’s economic near-term future.

"[since the government obligation for the rice pledge program applied to BOTH the Yingluck and Junta regimes, for comparison purposes it is cancels out]. "

Nice suggestion.

The Yingluck Administration left a 700++ billion Baht debt at BAAC after 2-1/2 years. That debt is guaranteed by the Yingluck Administration. As such the new Administration has no choice but to honour that debt. For seven years the National Budget will include a more than 100 billion Baht post to repay the debt at BAAC. With the RPPS left outside the National Budget by the Yingluck Administration they only seemed to have sufficient funding in the National Budget whereas they simply overspent to let successors clean up the mess left behind.

It would have taken allot less effort to guard the voting polls to ensure the last election was held without intimidation, than take over an entire country.

Anyone that has read the wikileaks knows the coup was a sham.

Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so.

I would prefer international observers but when the yellow shirts vowed to disrupt the vote the army should have stepped in.

"the army should have stepped in?" In what I'm told was a fully functioning Democracy?

It would have taken allot less effort to guard the voting polls to ensure the last election was held without intimidation, than take over an entire country.

Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so.

I would prefer international observers but when the yellow shirts vowed to disrupt the vote the army should have stepped in.

"the army should have stepped in?" In what I'm told was a fully functioning Democracy?

The reason for the coup?

I prefer to believe what I have read in Wikileaks and other publications not available in Thailand.

3,000 private emails from the US Ambassador. The biggest news in decades not even discussed. Hmmm.

Don't you wonder why all the good stuff is banned/blocked?

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

I agree, and I also think that when you are in a situation where you have a rampantly corrupt, incompetent and out of control sham of a government which is run by a wanted criminal from overseas, hellbent on sending the country broke while making themselves mega-rich, the army should step in.

Oh, that's right, they did ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

The reason for the coup?

I prefer to believe what I have read in Wikileaks and other publications not available in Thailand.

3,000 private emails from the US Ambassador. The biggest news in decades not even discussed. Hmmm.

Don't you wonder why all the good stuff is banned/blocked?

Congratulations, you managed to divert from that less interesting topic

"Poll reveals leading economists have confidence in PM’s economic team"

Well done thumbsup.gif

Well done thumbsup.gif

Good grief, the hypocrisy!

Did you forget about your post

"Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so."

Pray tell us mere mortals just how "on topic" that leading statement is?

• Like 1

Well done thumbsup.gif

Good grief, the hypocrisy!

Did you forget about your post

"Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so."

Pray tell us mere mortals just how "on topic" that leading statement is?

Why you think I congratulated khunjamesjohnson with a diversion well executed ?

• Like 1

If I really thought that Prayuth and the NCPO are letting Pridyathorn and Narongchai make significant decisions I would be worried but fortunately they are only there as figureheads. The NCPO has better but less well known people to formulate economic policy for them behind the scenes. Sommai is there as a doer because he knows how things work in the finance ministries and state enterprises, not as a policy maker. Narongchai has no background whatsoever in energy which is just as well.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Pridyathorn have another hissy fit and resign just like he did in the Sarayuth governement when Somkid joined the cabinet. But Pridyathorn had already made his mark early on in that govt with the capital controls.

Well knock me down with a feather..

Same.

As I'm frequently told by posters that polls are not to be believed as they only try to show a positive image of the NCPO, I'm really puzzled by this

"On the viability of overall economic policies, 44.9% of the economists said they did not believe they would work while 44.5% thought they could be successful."

Maybe the censor slipped, was watching nice broads in a karaoke clip, or so ?

Are you completely bereft of reasoning, or even reading?

However when they were asked about their confidence on an individual basis of the cabinet ministers, 73.4% voiced confidence for Gen Prayuth.

If you could possibly post a comment that was not 100% nasty, rude, insulting and condescending, fellow TV posters may not treat you as a professional troll.

Obviously there is no forum rule regarding your "modus operandi" otherwise nearly all of your posts would be removed.

Red/PTP/Shin supporters claim these polls mean nothing, that they are not a true indication of the way people think.

If that is the case why do you guys comment on them ? Are you afraid of something ? Like the truth.....................................................

Hold an election.

All of these polls are worthless crap and everyone with even the slightest ounce of intelligence and impartiality knows it.

Only the rabid fanatics blinded by their bigotry and prejudices have the required level of gullibility to give them any weight.

I'm sure many here would rather be commenting on elections and democracy but neither exist in Thailand at the present time so we are left with the propaganda of a fading establishment in its death throes.

• Like 2

Are you completely bereft of reasoning, or even reading?

However when they were asked about their confidence on an individual basis of the cabinet ministers, 73.4% voiced confidence for Gen Prayuth.

If you could possibly post a comment that was not 100% nasty, rude, insulting and condescending, fellow TV posters may not treat you as a professional troll.

Obviously there is no forum rule regarding your "modus operandi" otherwise nearly all of your posts would be removed.

Red/PTP/Shin supporters claim these polls mean nothing, that they are not a true indication of the way people think.

If that is the case why do you guys comment on them ? Are you afraid of something ? Like the truth.....................................................

Hold an election.

All of these polls are worthless crap and everyone with even the slightest ounce of intelligence and impartiality knows it.

Only the rabid fanatics blinded by their bigotry and prejudices have the required level of gullibility to give them any weight.

I'm sure many here would rather be commenting on elections and democracy but neither exist in Thailand at the present time so we are left with the propaganda of a fading establishment in its death throes.

Well, don't lose your head over this, my dear Robespierre.

If you care to examine the polls of the last few years and what lots of posters remarked, you'll find that many have problems believing Thai polls independent of who conducts the poll or under which government the polls are done.