Condo-staff out of order ... ?

Jimlove

My wife and I have rented (long-term) a great condo at Riverside Condominium at Lamphun road, Nong Hoi area. Very nice kitchen (all high quality like oven etc.), big pool, freshmarkets "outside" the door, 10 min drive to Big C, Airport Plaza, local restaurants 1 min walk away and so on.

The snake in the paradise tho is the staff, both cleaning, reception, engineers and guards are behaving like they own the place - here´s a few examples:

#1 Staff has own elevator but generally use elevators for residents

#2 Staff has own parkingarea but use ONLY parking for residents

#3 Staff resting (lying Down ... !) on sofas that are for residents

#4 Reception-staff can hardly speak English even tho about 95% of the residents are falang

#5 Staff are generally very unpleasant to residents and never smile - dont think they know that its the residents that pay their salary - at least until new staff is found (wishful thinking maybe .... 5555)

Can you imagine staff acting like this in your condo or at a hotel or is this simply normal staff-behavior in a condominium ???

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staff at Twin Peaks Condo are very good. The front desk guys speak excellent English. Security guards are friendly and greet you with a smile. Cleaning staff do a great job. Maintenance staff has always been quick and competent. Sounds like your condo needs new management.

As for #4, this is Thailand. Why should they learn to speak English just for you? You are in their country - learn some Thai.

95% of the residents are falang.laugh.pngcheesy.gif

I speak thai so whats your point if any .... coffee1.gif So when a thai live in England, Russia or whereever they learn that specfic language ..... 55555 yeah right cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As for #4, this is Thailand. Why should they learn to speak English just for you? You are in their country - learn some Thai.

95% of the residents are falang.laugh.pngcheesy.gif

I speak thai so whats your point if any .... coffee1.gif So when a thai live in England, Russia or whereever they learn that specfic language ..... 55555 yeah right cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Of course your Thai is excellent, like all other TVF members, but some people have a bit of a problem with the language it would be nice to have at least one or two persons working there that speak a bit English considering the foreign population in Riverside condominium.

It's only the most important language in the world.

• Like 1

Several members of the Riverside residents committee/juristic person were recently ousted in a coup involving government and the police, PC's and records were seized and notices posted, shady goings on and misappropriations were mentioned, am not surprised things have not yet settled down. As far as desirability goes, urgh, try looking at the walls on the 19th floor or so, the filled cracks in the hallways are horrific.

• Like 1

I think some of the OP's observations about the staff at Riverside at valid -- at least compared to other condo buildings I know in Chiang Mai. Of course, 95% of the residents aren't English-speaking -- that's just his perception, but it's possible that many of the Thai owners are renting to English-speakers and it's reasonable to expect a few members of the staff to speak English.

It's up to the owners committee to address these issues -- the staff works for them. Haven't they established rules about where employees take their breaks, park their vehicles, which elevators they use? That's where the fault lies. There seems to be rules about such things in the building where I live.

My building is about 120 units, which seems to be big enough to get economies of scale; yet small enough to follow what is going on and get to know the staff on a personal basis. English is very limited, but a camera photo is about all it takes for me to make my point with the JP.

• Like 1

In general, Thai cultural requirements are NOT the same as where ever you are from. Having family around while working, taking a break in plain view, (on sofas... Is there some sign that says these sofas are for residents only?)

I think he may have to get 'whites only' signs printed.

Ouch, harsh, but not unfair!

• Like 2

In general, Thai cultural requirements are NOT the same as where ever you are from. Having family around while working, taking a break in plain view, (on sofas... Is there some sign that says these sofas are for residents only?) is pretty normal here. Granted, staff should be friendly. But I'm guessing you haven't been smiling at them very much. Why would they smile at you?

Unless I'm mistaken, the majority of foreign residents of Riverside Cond are Japanese. Perhaps the staff have learned to speak of bit of Nihongo for them, and "figure that's enough. Now you learn some Passa Thai!"

I think you are suffering from an acute case of 'Culture Shock.' Time for you to chill out, step back and watch your new world for a few months before making a decision that the world is wrong.

lots of guessing and mistake here:

#1 Didnt see 1 japanese in our 3 months here

#2 We always smile at people until people dont smile back

#3 So normal that staff is floating in sofas unless sign says its for residents/guests ... I call bs on that !

2 unpleasant posts removed.

Only 2 .... ? My post yesterday answering 2 OP wasnt unpleasant at all yet removed

Interesting to read how owners at RS try to protect their Investment even tho the enviroment there suxx - reason why (maybe) only 49% is listed as foreign could be a "straw-man/woman" when buying a condo if thats a concept known to this forum ....

• Like 1

to the o/p

cobber ,at my second living address here in c/mai many years ago , i chose the the wrong address to live in

i had a 3 month lease,which i used to the very last day,during this time i searched for another address,and used tunnelled vision,during my stay there

blocking out my misgivings about the place, my next port of call was a little paradise at half the price,and good fortune has followed me ever since

kindly suggest you do the same

very best of luck cobber

• Like 1