Compact Camera with a good zoom

Do you want interchangeable lenses or fixed long zoom? When you say compact, how compact? For example the PowerShot SX50 HS has a 50x lens and some member have SX40s and pretty impressive photos from them. Here is the SX50 HS, is that too big for what you want? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs.

//edit - 65x zoom SX60 HS - http://www.canon.co.th/personal/products/compact-cameras/powershot/powershot-sx60-hs?languageCode=EN

Or middle range zoom Fuji X20 with a fast lens FL 28-112 f/2.0-f/2.8 Price about 18,000 Baht - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x20

• Like 1

I am sure if you wait MJP will be here soon to fill you in on the latest , an admirable chap and he knows his subject very well , I would like to advise you that many camera makers have just made new entries into the ever expanding market and as a result the predesessors will have dropped in price rather dramatically , 35 k is quite a lot for a compact though

Personally as a user of both Compact and Dslr I would look at the Sony range , many users have only praise to reap about mirrorless cameras , I have a few different makes and personally I find the best colour rendition to be Fuji .

As for zoom capabilities Canon Sx 50 is hard to beat at the moment

Goompa

Edited by Goompa
  • Like 2

Do you want interchangeable lenses or fixed long zoom? When you say compact, how compact? For example the PowerShot SX50 HS has a 50x lens and some member have SX40s and pretty impressive photos from them. Here is the SX50 HS, is that too big for what you want? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs.

Or middle range zoom Fuji X20 with a fast lens FL 28-112 f/2.0-f/2.8 Price about 18,000 Baht - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x20

I dont want interchangeable lense I have looked at the PowerShot Sx50 it is on my list a bit smaller if possible but i haven't ruled it out as the zoom is great

the Power shot SX60 HS looks nice just found the price thats my preference at the moment will check the size out in a shop soon.

mines on order too . . . a really good birding/wildlife option, and i think Canon must have listened to me . . . i was screaming for a mic input & better res screen on their SX50 update. I use these mainly as video cameras at which they excel ! and with 60p on the SX60 it only gets better. (i've had an SX50 since it was launched)

• Like 1

the Power shot SX60 HS looks nice just found the price thats my preference at the moment will check the size out in a shop soon.

mines on order too . . . a really good birding/wildlife option, and i think Canon must have listened to me . . . i was screaming for a mic input & better res screen on their SX50 update. I use these mainly as video cameras at which they excel ! and with 60p on the SX60 it only gets better. (i've had an SX50 since it was launched)

I am by no means an expert about cameras; however, I have had much luck birding with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, which has a very big zoom and optically stabilized lens. Its hard to find in BKK though and I had to order mine.

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert about cameras; however, I have had much luck birding with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18, which has a very big zoom and optically stabilized lens. Its hard to find in BKK though and I had to order mine.

Wow . . that takes me back Clutch, i had one of those when it launched back in 2007. Took some good shots with it too. It's long since out of production now though so i guess that explains why you struggled to get hold of one.

If you can . . . upgrade to one of the Canon's if birds are your main interest (the SX50 should come way down in price now) you won't regret it. thumbsup.gif

Wow . . that takes me back Clutch, i had one of those when it launched back in 2007. Took some good shots with it too. It's long since out of production now though so i guess that explains why you struggled to get hold of one.

If you can . . . upgrade to one of the Canon's if birds are your main interest (the SX50 should come way down in price now) you won't regret it. thumbsup.gif

My mistake!

My new one is a Lumix DMC-FZ70.

Its a little noisy at full zoom. I will look at the SX50.

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

These super zoom cameras are interesting, many seems to like them and buying a dslr with a +800mm lens will cost an arm and leg and is huge.

My Stylus 1 only goes to 300mm and in most situations when shooting birds, not enough.

Okay for me, I am only taking pictures of birds when the odd opportunity is there, which happens sometimes out in my garden.

The bird life in Pattaya is not the bird life you guys are looking for, well for the most part, he-he.

It looks like Canon have a new super zoom coming soon, the SX60 HS which replaces the SX50.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/15/canon-pushes-bridge-camera-envelope-65x-superzoom-also-debuts-sharing-friendly-n2/

• Like 1

^ good choice for a small pocketable high end with the G7X. It's new, so reviews/tests are scant at the mo' . . . but it's got a nice 1 inch sensor so i pretty much guarantee it will be very good.

i really like Canon's higher-end point & shoots, another little cracker you might want to consider is the PowerShot S120 with it's fast f/1.8 lens . . . i've still got & use it's much younger brother, the S95 with it's f/2.0 lens, which is still a great walk around job.

• Like 1

^ good choice for a small pocketable high end with the G7X. It's new, so reviews/tests are scant at the mo' . . . but it's got a nice 1 inch sensor so i pretty much guarantee it will be very good.

i really like Canon's higher-end point & shoots, another little cracker you might want to consider is the PowerShot S120 with it's fast f/1.8 lens . . . i've still got & use it's much younger brother, the S95 with it's f/2.0 lens, which is still a great walk around job.

Yes i had a look at the S120 was thinking about that thanks for the info

Best pocket camera, look no further, Sony RX100 M3, blows the Canon easily out of the water and it have a view finder.

Sorry Canon boys (well I owned Canons before), but the G7X is nothing but a cheap copy of the Sony RX100 M2 and even with a Sony sensor.

I just bought the M3, boy it's good, my first Sony Camera ever. Will always buy what is considered the best based on tests, don't care which brand it is.

Check below link:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3732635#forum-post-54473566

• Like 2

i agree with guzzi in that you should always go with the best (IQ, lens, whatever) regardless of 'brand'. I like both the RX & the G7X, but to say the M3 'blows the Canon easily out of the water' isn't quite true. If i was in the market for a small sensor pocket camera . . . i'd be happy with either. .thumbsup.gif

Remember . . . as with anything, there'll always be something better coming just around the corner.

I will most likely go with the canon as don't do much editing and as i understand the report said that the canon gives off the best picture before editing.

• Like 1

i agree with guzzi in that you should always go with the best (IQ, lens, whatever) regardless of 'brand'. I like both the RX & the G7X, but to say the M3 'blows the Canon easily out of the water' isn't quite true. If i was in the market for a small sensor pocket camera . . . i'd be happy with either. .thumbsup.gif

Remember . . . as with anything, there'll always be something better coming just around the corner.

I will most likely go with the canon as don't do much editing and as i understand the report said that the canon gives off the best picture before editing.

Your money your choice.

I have been taking photos in RAW + JPEG on the M3 and I find the JPEGs so good that I stopped shooting RAWs (well for now, might go back to RAW again, need more testing).

I can't live without a viewfinder anymore since I started to use reading glasses 2 years ago and the M3's is a little gem.

Here is another take at the M3:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/24/the-sony-rx100-iii-review-the-best-pocket-camera-ever/

Okay the article was written before the G7X was launched but Steve isn't impressed by the Canon as well, lol.

Before you make you final decision you should wait until more tests of the Canon comes out and rest assured that they will compared it to the RX100s as they are the 2 only pocket cameras with 1" sensors.

No the M3 don't blow the Canon out of the water off-course, lol, but the M3 is 3rd generation RX100 and they been improved each time. The Canon G7X M2 might be very good and have the all important (to me anyway) viewfinder.

It's good that more pocket cameras comes out with 1" sensors, it only benefits us amateur photographers and look at that new Panasonic LX100 with 4/3 sensor. It got a shutter speed wheel man, oh boy, love it man, looks like a Leicawub.png and you can have one for app 300US$ extra that says Leica on it, tempted, very very tempted.

• Like 1

Your money your choice.

I have been taking photos in RAW + JPEG on the M3 and I find the JPEGs so good that I stopped shooting RAWs (well for now, might go back to RAW again, need more testing).

I can't live without a viewfinder anymore since I started to use reading glasses 2 years ago and the M3's is a little gem.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/24/the-sony-rx100-iii-review-the-best-pocket-camera-ever/

Okay the article was written before the G7X was launched but Steve isn't impressed by the Canon as well, lol.

Before you make you final decision you should wait until more tests of the Canon comes out and rest assured that they will compared it to the RX100s as they are the 2 only pocket cameras with 1" sensors.

No the M3 don't blow the Canon out of the water off-course, lol, but the M3 is 3rd generation RX100 and they been improved each time. The Canon G7X M2 might be very good and have the all important (to me anyway) viewfinder.

It's good that more pocket cameras comes out with 1" sensors, it only benefits us amateur photographers and look at that new Panasonic LX100 with 4/3 sensor. It got a shutter speed wheel man, oh boy, love it man, looks like a Leicawub.png and you can have one for app 300US$ extra that says Leica on it, tempted, very very tempted.

Great info and a good review decisions decisions :)

Your money your choice.

Great info and a good review decisions decisions :)
How is it difficult with glasses and no viewfinder as I wear glasses also?

How is it difficult with glasses and no viewfinder as I wear glasses also?

I always forget the damned thing and I only use +0.15 glass so I can get by without the glasses.

A EFR is also much better in strong sunlight, most screens are difficult to see in strong sunshine. I use the screen mostly during night shoots and playback.

I also fell that when using the viewfinder that I concentrate more on the composition of the motive and concentrate more, sort of being in your own little world while shooting which I like.

I seldom just point and shoot, but like to play with the cameras capabilities, so trying the different settings during different light conditions.

• Like 1

Rx100 mk3 has a very limited zoom. The Panasonic FZ1000 is certainly the superzoom I would get if available because it has 4k video, so you can just film a bird then take a snapshot from the footage. It is big though and I haven't seen it for sale yet.

If i had 35k to spend I would probably get the rx100 mk1 for 13k for everyday use. Then a superzoom with the spare change.

Edited by mat999