Tanasak tells UN why Thai Army took control of the country

webfact

Just one point. Apparently the junta leader has declared that he is now to be known as PM Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha.

I'm not quite sure what the rationale is for this, perhaps some Thai genealogical scholar can help me? Personally I believe he's just having a The Artist formerly known as Prince moment.

Perhaps he will become known by less than reverent posters (that excludes several TVF members, you know who you are) as PM Gen. Squiggle?

Oh come on, fabs, you can't really help yourself, now can you? You must make nasty comments even if has nothing to do with the topic. Feel happy now that you managed at least a vague insinuation trying to link the general with 'inconstant' or 'irregularly changing ones mind with a hint of 'irratically'. Just plain nasty and in line with your character it would seem.

By now you should now that Thai names are translated into the Latin Alphabet in a rather inconsistent way. Good to know PM Prayut Chan-o-cha will be known under one name only. Makes searching also much easier.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Demo-cracy must be based on respect for the rule of law."

STEP 1 : fire everybody of RTP

What might sound good in principle might not make sense in practise.

Unless you want chaos on the streets or have all police replaced with army personel, sack everybody in the police force doesn't seem a real good idea. IMHO.

Edited by rubl

But he failed to explain that the army failed to support the elected government making it powerless.

If a government is acting in a manner contrary to the needs of the nation, following their own narrow self serving agenda, and against the democratic procedures of that country, then an army should not support it.

cheesy.gif

so the army should stop supporting itself right now.

• Like 1

But he failed to explain that the army failed to support the elected government making it powerless.

Who would support an "elected" government who was, it seemed, forgetting the reason that they were elected for. When a Government seems more concerned about how much they can rip off the Country to enlarge their personal wealth, mismanage populist vote buying schemes at the expense of the country. This "elected" government tried to use parliament to try and admonish criminals with an Amnesty bill ( and the main criminal was pulling the strings)......then naturally there is a backlash from the people who didn't want the farce to continue., You all know that the last Government was a joke !!

Just one of many similar posts that are wrong.

In fact, the PTP government were fulfilling their election promises, which included the rice pledging and to bring back TS. As well as these, they carried through with the tablet scheme, high-speed rail, minimum-wage increase,.... They were elected on these platforms & they were in the process of delivering them. The fact that some of the policies were economically misguided is something for the voters to decide, not the army. There has also been no cases of the government 'ripping of the country' as you say. Please show the evidence of a PTP MP financially benefiting from a government policy.

The only real support the PRDC ever got was for the amnesty bill. After that issue died down their numbers dwindled quickly until they were down to a few thousand.

As Suthep stated after the coup, he had been in regular contact with Prayuth since PT's election victory. They had laid their plans & were simply waiting for an opportunity to rock the boat enough for the army to use it as an excuse. Their was absolutely no possibility of a civil war as has been bandied around. The explicit support of the PRDC by the army was evident before & after the coup. Their agendas are identical and people aren't falling for the junta's weak attempts at justifying their actions.

Many red shirts and pdrc were on the same side of the amnesty bill issue

but for the pdrc, the amnesty bill wasn't really the point was it? If it had been, they might have been happy when the bill died. But as you point out, we all learned about the real objective after the fact ... It's one time that I think I can honestly say 'thank you, suthep'

"And it must be about good governance, transparency, accountability and equal access to justice. This was not the case in my country before May 22," the foreign minister said."

He's right, you know.

Yes, BUT already some Government members are unwilling to declare assets. They do not want transparency! I hope the PM and NCPO "persuade" those reluctant members to toe the line - or move on. Get it right the first time PM Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, your people and now the world expects this promise to be fulfilled.

Just as important, is for government members NOT to vote on matters in which they have a financial interest!

Just one point. Apparently the junta leader has declared that he is now to be known as PM Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha.

I'm not quite sure what the rationale is for this, perhaps some Thai genealogical scholar can help me? Personally I believe he's just having a The Artist formerly known as Prince moment.

Perhaps he will become known by less than reverent posters (that excludes several TVF members, you know who you are) as PM Gen. Squiggle?

it sounds Prem-ish to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If a government is acting in a manner contrary to the needs of the nation, following their own narrow self serving agenda, and against the democratic procedures of that country, then an army should not support it.

No. It is the PEOPLE THAT SHOULD NOT SUPPORT IT. That is how democracy works. The army should be nonpolitical and should not insert itself into governance of the people through its own unaccountable and nontransparent strucure.

I never said the army should insert itself into governance. I said they are not obliged to support a government that acts against the best interests of the people, through corruption, abuse of government, abuse of the legal system, attempting to pardon criminals bankrolling their party and ruling for a narrow clique [all the time proclaiming itself to be for the people].

Now that in itself does not justify a coup, one would hope that the legal and democratic process would prevent these things happening.

They weren't.

The PDRC were no better and a stand off that had no happy outcome in sight was in place.

Maybe a coup wasn't the way to go but no one was coming up with any sane, rational plan for reconciliation and a return to proper governance. I don't support the idea of military rule, but in this case I don't see what other realistic options existed.

thanks for that clarification - but I did find the formulation of the original comment too fitting.

given what we know about suthep, I believe that the objective was to produce exactly the situation you mention and one where the military could reasonably (attempt) to say that no 'other realistic options existed'

thanks for that clarification - but I did find the formulation of the original comment too fitting.

given what we know about suthep, I believe that the objective was to produce exactly the situation you mention and one where the military could reasonably (attempt) to say that no 'other realistic options existed'

Well, at least you toned down the rhetoric to "I believe". That's your good right, treasure it.

but for the pdrc, the amnesty bill wasn't really the point was it? If it had been, they might have been happy when the bill died. But as you point out, we all learned about the real objective after the fact ... It's one time that I think I can honestly say 'thank you, suthep'

A few red-shirts were also against the blanket amnesty bill, but for different reasons. Not because they disagreed with a bill covering Thaksin'as last two years in/out of office and even covering Ms. Yinglucks first two years, but because it also covered Abhisit/Suthep.

Don't worry though, the two dozen Pheu Thai party list red-shirt MPs (including UDD leader Korkaew voting in favour) and with help from the Pheu Thai party list MP UDD leaders Dr. weng and Nattawut (who abstained) it was soon forgotten, silly mistake, not to be talked about, concentrate on real important issues like someone protesting against 'our' Isaan darling.

The bill didn't die, the bill remained for 180 days and could be voted back in. Only other amnesty bills which would be obsolete anyway with the blanket version pushed through parliament, were dropped and the Pheu Thai people all tried to suggest that 'amnesty was off'.

Obfuscation, still continuing it would seem. All in the name of democracy of course.

• Like 2

Oh come on, fabs, you can't really help yourself, now can you? You must make nasty comments even if has nothing to do with the topic. Feel happy now that you managed at least a vague insinuation trying to link the general with 'inconstant' or 'irregularly changing ones mind with a hint of 'irratically'. Just plain nasty and in line with your character it would seem.

By now you should now that Thai names are translated into the Latin Alphabet in a rather inconsistent way. Good to know PM Prayut Chan-o-cha will be known under one name only. Makes searching also much easier.

Nasty comments about a junta leader, not me, anyway it's not allowed. Oh and thanks for the insult about my character, seems you just couldn't help yourself...........

Just for your edification, Gen squiggles name change is not an anomaly thrown up by the transliteration of the Thai but a genuine request by said leader to the English Language media. People are musing that this name change was a recommendation from a foreteller of the future, to improve his luck.

The strange case of the Gen. Prayut/Prayuth’s name change

Posted on September 18, 2014 by Editor

Word is spreading today in the Thai print media about a required change to the name of Thailand’s junta chief and prime minister, General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Starting today, the English-language media are required to spell the general’s name “Prayut Chan-o-cha.” The “h” in Prayuth is dropped and an extra hyphen will be added.

Suspicions abound that this is a case where a fortune teller must have told Gen. Prayuth (or now Gen. Prayut) to alter his name in English spelling to improve his luck.

http://2bangkok.com/the-strange-case-of-the-gen-prayutprayuths-name-change.html

Of course to you and others he will remain known as, "He who can do no wrong"

• Like 1

I wonder how it was received ?

"Many of the world's great and their assistants were in attendance at the U.N. General Assembly. They say this was arguably the most high-profile, significant meeting that will in no way change anything whatsoever."

And just who wrote that, the Nation or a spokesman for the UN ? ?

Link please,

In fact, the PTP government were fulfilling their election promises, which included the rice pledging and to bring back TS. As well as these, they carried through with the tablet scheme, high-speed rail, minimum-wage increase,.... They were elected on these platforms & they were in the process of delivering them. The fact that some of the policies were economically misguided is something for the voters to decide, not the army. There has also been no cases of the government 'ripping of the country' as you say. Please show the evidence of a PTP MP financially benefiting from a government policy.

The only real support the PRDC ever got was for the amnesty bill. After that issue died down their numbers dwindled quickly until they were down to a few thousand.

As Suthep stated after the coup, he had been in regular contact with Prayuth since PT's election victory. They had laid their plans & were simply waiting for an opportunity to rock the boat enough for the army to use it as an excuse. Their was absolutely no possibility of a civil war as has been bandied around. The explicit support of the PRDC by the army was evident before & after the coup. Their agendas are identical and people aren't falling for the junta's weak attempts at justifying their actions.

BTW bringing back Thaksin wasn't an election promise, neither mentioned in PM Yingluck speech in parliament in August 2011. Actually apart from that admirably frank Dept. PM Pol. Chalerm who said he would bring back Thaksin, no one really mentioned in clear terms.

They were delivering indeed, like that passport from flooded office when everybody else was somewhat distracted by floodwaters. Delivering a 33% reduction in Corporate tax as first action, losing 700++ as next important item. Outside the NationalBudget, a non-revolving funds, guaranteed by the Yingluck Government and to be repaid by thankful taxpayers over the next seven years, first instalment in 2014/2015 National Budget. That 700++ could have paid for the two double track 160km/h train links now planned in a seven year project with again first instalment in the National Budget.

As Suthep stated after the coup, while soldiers accompanied him to acknowledge charges at the Criminal Court, the military listened to him and did his bidding.

Anyway, strange that the NCPO suppresses all parties including those who allegedly control them. Maybe I should spent a day in Dusit Zoo and see the bears ?

What a bunch of incomprehensible waffle. You may need to get someone to correct your grammar before posting. During many speeches on the PT election campaign, bringing back TS was mentioned. If you didn't listen to them (or were unable to understand them) you would be unaware. A 33% reduction in corporate tax???? (try 7) Losing 700++ (highly debatable numbers). Do you have any idea of the losses incurred by the Japanese on agricultural subsidies? How about US farm policy or EU CAP?

As for Suthep, the NCPO may try to put on a show that they are unbiased, but anyone in their right mind (maybe explains your reply) acknowledges they are quite the opposite.

• Like 1

"And it must be about good governance, transparency, accountability and equal access to justice. This was not the case in my country before May 22," the foreign minister said."

He's right, you know.

Yes, BUT already some Government members are unwilling to declare assets. They do not want transparency! I hope the PM and NCPO "persuade" those reluctant members to toe the line - or move on. Get it right the first time PM Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, your people and now the world expects this promise to be fulfilled.

Just as important, is for government members NOT to vote on matters in which they have a financial interest!

Maybe there is some kind of Thai protocol in the order of various titles.

Bit like Doctor Police Lt. Col. Thaksin or Doctor Police Captain Chalerm. I do remember the PM and DPM came after their police rank too, when they were in office.

Isn't it against forum rules to deliberately miscall or misspell someone's name. I remember you used to throw little tantrums if somebody made a funny out of Thakisn and Yingluck's names. Standard PTP supporter - do as we say, not as we do. Just can't change. (Remember you constantly complaining Rubl made fun of Oak's name).

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

BTW bringing back Thaksin wasn't an election promise, neither mentioned in PM Yingluck speech in parliament in August 2011. Actually apart from that admirably frank Dept. PM Pol. Chalerm who said he would bring back Thaksin, no one really mentioned in clear terms.

They were delivering indeed, like that passport from flooded office when everybody else was somewhat distracted by floodwaters. Delivering a 33% reduction in Corporate tax as first action, losing 700++ as next important item. Outside the NationalBudget, a non-revolving funds, guaranteed by the Yingluck Government and to be repaid by thankful taxpayers over the next seven years, first instalment in 2014/2015 National Budget. That 700++ could have paid for the two double track 160km/h train links now planned in a seven year project with again first instalment in the National Budget.

As Suthep stated after the coup, while soldiers accompanied him to acknowledge charges at the Criminal Court, the military listened to him and did his bidding.

Anyway, strange that the NCPO suppresses all parties including those who allegedly control them. Maybe I should spent a day in Dusit Zoo and see the bears ?

What a bunch of incomprehensible waffle. You may need to get someone to correct your grammar before posting. During many speeches on the PT election campaign, bringing back TS was mentioned. If you didn't listen to them (or were unable to understand them) you would be unaware. A 33% reduction in corporate tax???? (try 7) Losing 700++ (highly debatable numbers). Do you have any idea of the losses incurred by the Japanese on agricultural subsidies? How about US farm policy or EU CAP?

As for Suthep, the NCPO may try to put on a show that they are unbiased, but anyone in their right mind (maybe explains your reply) acknowledges they are quite the opposite.

Maybe you should read the forum rules regarding not correcting English, as many are not native English speakers. (BTW your own English isn't so hot).

Can you provide links to the part of PTP's manifesto that expressly stated they would bring Thaksin back, and the election speeches where they stated this please?

Or of course simply post your retraction of intentionally making false statements.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

"Many of the world's great and their assistants were in attendance at the U.N. General Assembly. They say this was arguably the most high-profile, significant meeting that will in no way change anything whatsoever."

Link please,

I think he wrote that as a satirical comment on the constant ineffective ineptitude of the UN and dressed it up to look like a news headline for a laugh wink.png

He got you there English - these Geneve drinkers can be real wags at times!

• Like 2

A few red-shirts were also against the blanket amnesty bill, but for different reasons. Not because they disagreed with a bill covering Thaksin'as last two years in/out of office and even covering Ms. Yinglucks first two years, but because it also covered Abhisit/Suthep.

Don't worry though, the two dozen Pheu Thai party list red-shirt MPs (including UDD leader Korkaew voting in favour) and with help from the Pheu Thai party list MP UDD leaders Dr. weng and Nattawut (who abstained) it was soon forgotten, silly mistake, not to be talked about, concentrate on real important issues like someone protesting against 'our' Isaan darling.

The bill didn't die, the bill remained for 180 days and could be voted back in. Only other amnesty bills which would be obsolete anyway with the blanket version pushed through parliament, were dropped and the Pheu Thai people all tried to suggest that 'amnesty was off'.

Obfuscation, still continuing it would seem. All in the name of democracy of course.

the bill was dead and everyone knew it - YOU are the only one pretending otherwise and claiming that it was not the case.

pffffft - all in the name of trolling

"Demo-cracy must be based on respect for the rule of law."

Here are selections of the Rule of Law prior to the May 2014 military coup from the 2007 Constitution:

Article 32. Arrest and detention of person shall not be made except by order or warrant issued by the Courts or there is a ground as provided by the law.

Article 36. A person shall enjoy the liberty of communication by lawful means.

Article 45. A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his opinion, make speech, write, print, publicise, and make expression by other means.

The prevention of a newspaper or other mass media from printing news or expressing their opinions, wholly or partly, or interference in any manner whatsoever in deprivation of the liberty under this section shall not be made except by the provisions of the law enacted in accordance with the provisions of paragraph two.

Article 63. A person shall enjoy the liberty to assemble peacefully and without arms.

Article 65. A person shall enjoy the liberty to unite and form a political party for the purpose of making political will of the people and carrying out political activities in fulfillment of such will through the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State as provided in this Constitution.

Article 68. No person shall exercise the rights and liberties prescribed in the Constitution to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution.

Maybe Tanasak can explain how the Rule of Law was respected when the Juntas first act after overthrowing the government was to suspend the 2007 Constitution.

And you know very well that PTP ignored and broke laws and rules they didn't like. Any court ruling against them was "biased or politically motivated", they could do no wrong, got everything right and never needed to be accountable. You would trust them?

Reality, the whole country only seems to obey laws and rules when they want to. Until that changes, and rich / connected / elites/ gangsters cannot put themselves above the law you might as well through the rule book in the bin.

Perhaps you can explain why a party with the majority of seats in parliament resorts to illegal and unsavory acts and practices to try and sneak legislation through? Or refuses to be held accountable to parliament and issue meaningful answers to questions?

Can the PTP afford to break any laws when you have an establishment friendly judiciary? In this environment, it's the minority with the help of the courts that seem to be above the law.

ignoring/breaking laws and 'ruling undemocratically' are just TV urban legends that should be thrown in the propaganda garbage can just like 'buying elections'

your point about the courts is so obvious that it boggles the mind to see people ignore it

Maybe you should read the forum rules regarding not correcting English, as many are not native English speakers. (BTW your own English isn't so hot).

Can you provide links to the part of PTP's manifesto that expressly stated they would bring Thaksin back, and the election speeches where they stated this please?

Or of course simply post your retraction of intentionally making false statements.

"Puea Thai, the latest incarnation of his party, campaigned in a large part on a possible amnesty allowing him to return to Thailand – a hugely popular policy for his tens of millions of supporters." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/03/thai-exit-polls-redshirt-landslide

P.S. I will accept a full blown apology & admission of your ignorance.

'BTW your own English isn't so hot'... Lol Shakespeare!

Nasty comments about a junta leader, not me, anyway it's not allowed. Oh and thanks for the insult about my character, seems you just couldn't help yourself...........

Just for your edification, Gen squiggles name change is not an anomaly thrown up by the transliteration of the Thai but a genuine request by said leader to the English Language media. People are musing that this name change was a recommendation from a foreteller of the future, to improve his luck.

The strange case of the Gen. Prayut/Prayuth’s name change

Posted on September 18, 2014 by Editor

Word is spreading today in the Thai print media about a required change to the name of Thailand’s junta chief and prime minister, General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Starting today, the English-language media are required to spell the general’s name “Prayut Chan-o-cha.” The “h” in Prayuth is dropped and an extra hyphen will be added.

Suspicions abound that this is a case where a fortune teller must have told Gen. Prayuth (or now Gen. Prayut) to alter his name in English spelling to improve his luck.

http://2bangkok.com/the-strange-case-of-the-gen-prayutprayuths-name-change.html

Of course to you and others he will remain known as, "He who can do no wrong"

I like the "Suspicions abound that this is a case where a fortune teller must have told".

Mind you, the topic seems to give you not enough possibilities to be nasty, that's why we have this distraction from one I will not label unless with 'fortunately unique"

Cheers,

uncle Rhubleh

Link please,

I was paraphrasing.

""Many of the leaders and assistants to the leaders from around the world were in attendance at the U.N. Climate Summit. They say this was arguably the most high-profile, significant meeting that will in no way change anything whatsoever." –Jimmy Kimmel"

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/Late-Night-Jokes/fl/Jokes.htm

It would seem those who disagree with me always feel a need to make some depreciating remarks on language aspects of my reply. Maybe in the wishful thinking that will help to increase the value of what follows.

Now if Corporate tax is 30% and decrease first to 23% and finally to 20% than the step from 30% to 20% is a 33% decrease.

As for the 700++ billion Baht gap in the BAAC floor, which will take seven years to repay and requires making provisions in the National Budget. The RPPS was not a subsidy. The idea was a self-financing scheme requiring a revolving funds of 500 billion Baht only. Well, we know how that worked out: badly.

To distract with "but other countries" is just that, unless you want to indicate that Thailand as rich country with loads of money is in a position to throw away money.

Anyway, the 'anyone in his right mind' seems to include only people who agree with you, allegedly, biasedly.

• Like 1

"Puea Thai, the latest incarnation of his party, campaigned in a large part on a possible amnesty allowing him to return to Thailand – a hugely popular policy for his tens of millions of supporters." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/03/thai-exit-polls-redshirt-landslide

P.S. I will accept a full blown apology & admission of your ignorance.

'BTW your own English isn't so hot'... Lol Shakespeare!

The "possible amnesty for Thaksin" was not an official campaign promise as far as I know. Had they made is such they would need to provide some details on how they thought they could legally arrange such. It was implied

Most of their official election promises centered on "no flooding, no drought", "tabletPC", "300B/d / 15,000B/m", "Rice scam". Unofficially we had the Pheu Thai protest arm UDD continue with their "red-shirts school for democracy", playing the "kill me some" Abhisit tape, and other interesting tricks which in real democracies would see some parties disqualified.

• Like 1

I guess part of the speech included "we are against nepotism and cronyism"?

I mean, heaven forbid, the good General would never support his own wife leaving a Uni job for an Army one would he? nooooo we all cry "say it ain't true" whistling.gif

Oh come on, binjalin, don't keep us in suspense!

Of course we like to know

- What job did the lady move to

- What were her qualifications

- when did the move from UNi to Army happen

- what rules do you suggest might have been bend, allegedly

Thanks

Can the PTP afford to break any laws when you have an establishment friendly judiciary? In this environment, it's the minority with the help of the courts that seem to be above the law.

ignoring/breaking laws and 'ruling undemocratically' are just TV urban legends that should be thrown in the propaganda garbage can just like 'buying elections'

your point about the courts is so obvious that it boggles the mind to see people ignore it

All and any of the above is manure of the finest quality, allegedly that is.

Mind you, already just saying "can the Pheu Thai afford to break laws ..." suggests that they would if only someone would let them. Democratically of course.

The mind boggles

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

the bill was dead and everyone knew it - YOU are the only one pretending otherwise and claiming that it was not the case.

The blanket amnesty bill was rejected by the Senate and would remain 'inactive' for 180 days after which a simple majority in parliament (50% + 1 vote) would suffice to active it.

So, stop trolling, or lying and start to accept what is the truth.

• Like 1

Powerful institutions did nothing to support a govt under siege but the military deemed it necessary to act to "protect democracy" and "return happiness to the people". The happiest people would be those few powerful and mega rich business families whose interests were challenged by the policies of the former government.

The rest of the world knows exactly what happened and will not be easily conned by this "rationale"

You could say exactly the same about the legal Democrat government back in 2010 except that the police failed to support that government.

All and any of the above is manure of the finest quality, allegedly that is.

Mind you, already just saying "can the Pheu Thai afford to break laws ..." suggests that they would if only someone would let them. Democratically of course.

The mind boggles

you could say that but then that would be a completely inaccurate interpretation.

The blanket amnesty bill was rejected by the Senate and would remain 'inactive' for 180 days after which a simple majority in parliament (50% + 1 vote) would suffice to active it.

So, stop trolling, or lying and start to accept what is the truth.

funny that you accuse someone of trolling.

the technical details of the legislative process are clear and have been stated before. The point which you insist on ignoring is the reality that the legislation was politically dead and gone.

Even the PDRC knew that which is why they changed the focus for the protests.