Dracula's dungeons uncovered

webfact

Archaeologists believe they found dungeons that once held Dracula

SYDNEY: -- ARCHAEOLOGISTS in Turkey believe they have unearthed dungeons that once held Dracula.

Hurriyet Daily News reports that restoration works in the Tokat Castle in Turkey have discovered a secret tunnel leading to the Pervane Bath and a military shelter.

Two dungeons have also been discovered in the castle, where Wallachian Prince Vlad III the Impaler, who was also known as Dracula, is said to have been held as political hostage in the early 15th century by the Ottoman Turks.

Restoration works first began in 2009, with the latest project carried out over the last ten weeks to restore and reinforce its defensive bastions.

It was during these most recent excavations that archaeologists unearthed the secret tunnels and dungeons.

“The castle is completely surrounded by secret tunnels. It is very mysterious,” said archaeologist İbrahim Çetin, who is working on the excavations.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/archaeologists-believe-they-found-dungeons-that-once-held-dracula/story-fndir2ev-1227073655969

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-29

If thie Dracula character interests you, watch the movie, "The Dark Prince" on youtube, good movie based more on history than fable.

You mean the one that gets a 3.6 (out of 10) rating on IMDB? The reviews certainly aren't encouraging.

• Like 1

Um...Dracula is a fictional character inspired by Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Impaler), so they have not found Draculas dungeon at all - they found the dungeon where Vlad Dracul was imprisoned.

I don't think so. The novel Dracula was written by Bram Stoker after Vlad Dracul's death.

Vlad Dracul was of the house of Dracul and that was also his fathers name. Somehow he was referred to as Vlad Dracula. His cruelty was legendary.

• Like 1

Vlad the Impaler, yeah defended Christendom against Muslim invading hordes, he would have a field day against ISIS, cruelty? they could not black his boots!

The Topkapi was also filled with european slave girls of the Harem (kidnapped and sold as children by sailors and merchants) the Sultans ensured there would be a heir to the throne, Suleiman the Magnificent etc, the most prized women being Blondes and Red heads, Suleiman's eventual queen was Russian and eventually had him kill his Grand Vizier and best friend Ibrahim, who was a slave boy given to him as a boy by his father... they grew up together and became best friends... Very interesting and historic city; Byzantine/Constantinople/Istanbul, amazing history and still a place to visit on the bucket list

• Like 1

I don't think so. The novel Dracula was written by Bram Stoker after Vlad Dracul's death.

Vlad Dracul was of the house of Dracul and that was also his fathers name. Somehow he was referred to as Vlad Dracula. His cruelty was legendary.

What I want to know is, where did the 'a' come from? mellow.png

There's a lot that isn't known about him. He was born in Hungary, but appears to have taken over Transylvania and Moldavia at some point. I guess if someone was really interested it could be researched on the net, but again not a lot is known. He lived in the mid-1400's.

I just remember in history class learning that he was actually called Dracula while some think the name is only fictional.

Off Topic, but it is Frankenstein that many confuse. Frankenstein wasn't the monster. The monster was a creation of Frankenstein as in "Frankenstein's Monster." He was totally fictional but Dracula was a real person about whom a novel was later written as fiction.

If thie Dracula character interests you, watch the movie, "The Dark Prince" on youtube, good movie based more on history than fable.

You mean the one that gets a 3.6 (out of 10) rating on IMDB? The reviews certainly aren't encouraging.

It's more likely to be this one.

It has a 6.3 rating on IMDB and quite favourable reviews.

I'll watch it later. (Probably not while I'm eating...)

I take IMDb ratings with a pinch of salt. There all time no.1 movie of all time is Shawshank redemption!

I take IMDb ratings with a pinch of salt. There all time no.1 movie of all time is Shawshank redemption!

This summary of the movie would make me avoid it like Dracula avoids garlic. How can you possibly say it's based on history?

"In his search for the Lightbringer, Dracula crosses paths with a beautiful crusader named Alina who bears a remarkable resemblance to his murdered bride. One look at her and Dracula is immediately smitten. Could Alina be the reincarnation of his long-dead love? Dracula has Alina kidnapped and brought to his castle where the Beast must now try to win his Beauty's heart"

This summary of the movie would make me avoid it like Dracula avoids garlic. How can you possibly say it's based on history?

"In his search for the Lightbringer, Dracula crosses paths with a beautiful crusader named Alina who bears a remarkable resemblance to his murdered bride. One look at her and Dracula is immediately smitten. Could Alina be the reincarnation of his long-dead love? Dracula has Alina kidnapped and brought to his castle where the Beast must now try to win his Beauty's heart"

It appears that there are two movies with the same title, I see now that you must be referring to the other one.