Why MBK?

dddave

In this case, either drive yourself or take a cab

coffee1.gif

From BTS Ratchatewi it'll be a 10/15-minute walk to Pantip, not what I'd call a long walk

thumbsup.gif

No, but I'd call it longer than 30 seconds, especially if you are carrying shopping.

w00t.gif

Carrying shopping goods, combined with a wife, wearing a little bit higher heels than running shoes, makes it an >20 min walk. tongue.png

Not really pleasant in the heat.

One thing I'd say is that too many shops in Panthip have old, dust-covered stock.

The shops in Fortune seem to have newer gear, in fact they were the first place I found with the TF700T when that came out.

Fortune is more for professional, good if you look for the latest high end technology. Pantip is better for bargain hunters who don't mind last year product but want the best price. Beside Fortune is in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're looking for something very specific Pantip has a more convenient more central location.

I know other people have pointed it out but this really is one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. Fortune is far easier to get to as others have pointed out, with an MRT literally on its doorstep. For me Panthip has really gone downhill and better bargains can be found in the Fortune IT place.

• 9 months later...
The shop owners and sellers are much more polite at Fortune Town. I was assaulted by a shop owner at MBK. He kicked me Muay Thai style.

Put me right off buying anything from the shop.

Similar thing happened about 5 years ago while shopping at the cloths shop called Primark in Britain. On that occasion it was a customer. He challenged me to a fight at the check-out, saying "Meet outside". He kept his word, and was waiting for me outside. Once We saw each other, he turned around quickly and walked away.

Suffice to say, if you go this place, (MBK) don't expect a red carpet. I read a post here on ThaiVisa recently that said "stay away from the touristy places". Best advice ever.wai2.gif

I have bought around 5 or 6 devices at MBK. I always deal with the same guy who knows I've been the around the block several times. No problem at all. Neither had technical problems.

A lot of shops are owned by the same person and hires sales people for their outlets. Most phones come from the same stock provider.

Edited by sniffdog

It must be perfectly okay to take advantage of the novice shoppers (newly arrived tourist).

Here's something I discovered recently. Then there is this, that go on to say:

One word of caution about buying a phone or any Apple product at MBK is that many of the phones have a dodgy history and just because the vendor offers you a guarantee doesn’t mean that they will actually honour it. The phones bought in MBK are good short term phones but for something you want to keep and have work over a long time I would suggest the visiting the official retailer in either Paragon or Central World shopping mall.

About the Thai kickboxing, mentioned in post #35, I always figured the shows were outside the MBK center, not inside.

MBK is more oriented to tourist shoppers, whereas FortuneTown IT is more oriented to Thais.... And the prices and sales techniques used reflect that. Also with mobile phones, probably a greater chance of knockoff or dodgy models being sold at MBK.

In terms of access and amenities, MBK and FortuneTown are both in or next to large malls, and both located at mass transit stations, MRT for FortuneTown and BTS for MBK. In that regard, they both have an advantage over Pantip.

I was assaulted by a shop owner at MBK. He kicked me Muay Thai style.

Surely if you were assaulted it would do more than put you off shopping at the assailants shop? Did you call the police or were you just as much in the wrong?

I've always kind of wondered about the phones sold direct by True Move H, and similarly direct by AIS...under their own brands.

Are they locked to only be useable on True (or AIS)? Or, are they just 3G band limited, meaning True's phones are only 850 and 2100 Mhz and AIS's are 900 and 2100 Mhz?

I was assaulted by a shop owner at MBK. He kicked me Muay Thai style.

Surely if you were assaulted it would do more than put you off shopping at the assailants shop? Did you call the police or were you just as much in the wrong?

My sarcasm is lost on you.
He kicked me right in front of a security guard. IF I had been in the wrong (this is a big IF -- every customer has the choice to move on), all he had to do was report me to the security guard.
After the incident, the security guard asked the shop keeper to "calm down" and led me away.
p.s. the stall holders and shop keepers tend to stick to together at MBK so be very cautious about this.

I've always kind of wondered about the phones sold direct by True Move H, and similarly direct by AIS...under their own brands.

Are they locked to only be useable on True (or AIS)? Or, are they just 3G band limited, meaning True's phones are only 850 and 2100 Mhz and AIS's are 900 and 2100 Mhz?

I believe they are locked and you are correct about restricted band availability.

A friend bought a cheap AIS LAVA Android phone last year. Nearly a year later, the display died. She took it into AIS, Paragon and they replaced it with a newer model, no additional charge. No shop would ever do that.

Don't know if TRUE will do the same.