Koh Tao tourism tumbles

Lite Beer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What else to expect? And doubt the polls look much better after 9 days of nothing has passed.

"The poll showed that 80.47 per cent wanted authorities to strictly enforce the law"

Could be the best idea ever!

Unfortunately the remaining 19.53% part is the one with enough money to pay the BIB not to enforce the law.

If the law was strictly enforced there'd be no gogo bars, no bar girls and no beer after midnight. That would drive many tourists away, a a significant percentage come here for those things. So maybe the 20% realise this.

Just feel ashamed on behalf of the victims parents and relatives.

What a shambles and what an unprofessional handling of the situation.

Thailand should be ashamed also.

Costas can I remind you of a very nasty case back in the UK at the moment. A missing, presumed dead 14 year old young girl where the police know everything about the prime suspect. Even down to he has already served a prison sentence for murder in his home country of Latvia yet was allowed to simply walk into the UK and stay. The head of Scotland Yard has just admitted they are clueless as to where the man is and that if he has left the UK he is virtually a free man. For some bizarre reason they haven't even issued an EU arrest warrant either.

Crime detection, especially murder isn't so easily solved like it is on the TV and incompetent police are worldwide and not just here in Thailand as most people are alluring to.

Yes mistakes have been made but that may just be because this type of crime is a rarity here.

I'm still hoping for a good outcome and am not ready to start Thai bashing just yet

..................and you honestly think thats the same as the incident on Ko Tao where the police are covering for Thai Mafia after being paid? Thais deserve bashing - Im not afraid to say it if YOU are!!

Seems to me that the PM is getting some heat from abroad... think he will realise that the bad guys need to be caught. I'm expecting him to toss the old ledger in the fire, and start from scratch. Think we'll see some credible justice yet in this case. (I LOL'ed Regarding increasing patrols, that would not be hard... they'd only have to do one for any kind of increase. In 30 years, I have never seen a police party patrolling the beach, other than hiding in the bushes to bust someone smoking pot.

"In 30 years, I have never seen a police party patrolling the beach, other than hiding in the bushes to bust someone smoking pot."

As they should be, of course, enforcement should apply to all laws.

And all laws should apply common sense, but they don't.

One thing that annoys me is when people try to compare this murder to other countries or cities.

Koh Thao markets itself as a dream destination, much as the Maldives, Seychelles does, yet it's image (which was poor before) is now tarnished for a long time!

Generally people understand that violence can happen anywhere. However, when the police, army have no intention of solving the crime and in fact are aiding and abetting, this is abhorrent and incomprehensible to all and sundry.

People are finally starting to wake up that the level of violence that is common place in Thailand is 100s of times higher than in the west. Yes places can be idyllic but you cannot afford to let your guard down, and most certainly despite appearances, get drunk in public. People will prey on you if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good being back in Blighty, innit?

Find I appreciate civilisation so much more these days.

It is indeed. We are thinking where to go for Xmas and then summer holidays next year. Of course, there is the inevitable feeling that we must go back home, but honestly, I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep if we find a 4 star hotel, with a great pool and a golf course. That can honestly be absolutely ANYWHERE in the world.

I wondered how long it would take for this type of issue to get out into the world domain. Thailand can be a lovely place, but there is a massive disparity of haves and have nots, and really no rule of law at all. Problems can be solved with a gun for a fee.

• Like 2

Oh how they wish this tragic case would just disappear and be forgotten like the Samui rape and killing of a young British girl and the Chaing Mai and Phi Phi deaths.

But hopefully with social media like this site it will stay in the headlines.

If it was not for the internet this would have been forgotten now and probably 2 or 3 Burmese would be in jail.

And when the sick ***** post things like this on Facebook they deserve to suffer for a long, long timeattachicon.gifsex on the beach.png

and the big fat thai <deleted>, pictured with the hoe. He needs to explain himself to the police/army.

<deleted as it no longer makes sence>

Edited by evadgib

Initial police statement "a thai could never do this"

perhaps the police were correct and should repeat "a thai could never do this" with clarification showing the man that stabbed his 12 year old daughter and wife then set his car on fire with them inside and the 19 year old village headman son (another village headman son) that was angry a 4 year old dropped his ipad thus decided to execute the toddler.

• Like 1

The Police where correct , " A Thai could never do this " they forgot to add that this should have occurred on an Island Paradise, where they lived well off the proceeds of tourism.

Then a murder in Paradise throws a spanner in the works, and it,s easy to understand their lack of English.

What they wanted to say, is this

"This may happen all over Thailand, but not here "

One thing that annoys me is when people try to compare this murder to other countries or cities.

Koh Thao markets itself as a dream destination, much as the Maldives, Seychelles does, yet it's image (which was poor before) is now tarnished for a long time!

Generally people understand that violence can happen anywhere. However, when the police, army have no intention of solving the crime and in fact are aiding and abetting, this is abhorrent and incomprehensible to all and sundry.

People are finally starting to wake up that the level of violence that is common place in Thailand is 100s of times higher than in the west. Yes places can be idyllic but you cannot afford to let your guard down, and most certainly despite appearances, get drunk in public. People will prey on you if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good being back in Blighty, innit?

Find I appreciate civilisation so much more these days.

It is indeed. We are thinking where to go for Xmas and then summer holidays next year. Of course, there is the inevitable feeling that we must go back home, but honestly, I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep if we find a 4 star hotel, with a great pool and a golf course. That can honestly be absolutely ANYWHERE in the world.

I wondered how long it would take for this type of issue to get out into the world domain. Thailand can be a lovely place, but there is a massive disparity of haves and have nots, and really no rule of law at all. Problems can be solved with a gun for a fee.

I know what you mean. I'm desperate to all over the place rather than LOS, but I have no choice at the moment.

The World, old boy, is now your oyster!!!!

Oh how they wish this tragic case would just disappear and be forgotten like the Samui rape and killing of a young British girl and the Chaing Mai and Phi Phi deaths.

But hopefully with social media like this site it will stay in the headlines.

If it was not for the internet this would have been forgotten now and probably 2 or 3 Burmese would be in jail.

And when the sick ***** post things like this on Facebook they deserve to suffer for a long, long timeattachicon.gifsex on the beach.png

and the big fat thai <deleted>, pictured with the hoe. He needs to explain himself to the police/army.

I remember that guy from when I was on koh tao a few years back. He was a bike mechanic working with this dodgy scouse lad down by Mae haad. Nice enough bloke from what I recall, not sure what he's playing at here however, in very poor taste.

I will not be going to this island or surrounding islands. No desire to ever go to a full moon party. Sounds horrible.

Also, I would only go to Phuket if they came up with affordable mass transit and the beaches continued to remain free of chairs/vendors/etc.

Another change of story, now it's Thai suspects but it's a tourist organisation not the BIB speaking.

Thainess - too many spokespeople spoil the broth, the story and everything else but at least everyone gets their 15 minutes.

It looks like you got yours to

• Like 1

Another change of story, now it's Thai suspects but it's a tourist organisation not the BIB speaking.

Thainess - too many spokespeople spoil the broth, the story and everything else but at least everyone gets their 15 minutes.

It looks like you got yours to

and your'e above that sort of thing I suppose ?

Why do you bother posting ?

Why would anyone want to go to Koh Tao now? People going literally psycho and it just seems to be accepted, normalised even by some of those there and in the know.

I appreciate there may be fear living on the island, but why the hell stay there then? with psychos like this openly committing acts like this and not even afraid of getting caught for it. That sure isn't my definition of a paradise island. I don't know how anyone who has seen those pictures can not have this nagging away at them.

There are other places to go / live.

Koh Tao needs to give up the real perpetrators of this evil crime or never fully recover. PM could kill 2 birds with one stone if he takes this opportunity

Edited by bunglebag

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand really needs to understand that the internet airs all your dirty laundry and as they are seeing now it makes a real impact on where people choose to holiday,

I think they understand very well, that's why the government blocked access to foreign news websites, so that Thai people can't read what the world is thinking of Thailand. It is important to the government that Thai people continue to live in a fantasy, not reality.

I ran out of likes so I'd just like to say I agree with the above...

Just feel ashamed on behalf of the victims parents and relatives.

What a shambles and what an unprofessional handling of the situation.

Thailand should be ashamed also.

Costas can I remind you of a very nasty case back in the UK at the moment. A missing, presumed dead 14 year old young girl where the police know everything about the prime suspect. Even down to he has already served a prison sentence for murder in his home country of Latvia yet was allowed to simply walk into the UK and stay. The head of Scotland Yard has just admitted they are clueless as to where the man is and that if he has left the UK he is virtually a free man. For some bizarre reason they haven't even issued an EU arrest warrant either.

Crime detection, especially murder isn't so easily solved like it is on the TV and incompetent police are worldwide and not just here in Thailand as most people are alluring to.

Yes mistakes have been made but that may just be because this type of crime is a rarity here.

I'm still hoping for a good outcome and am not ready to start Thai bashing just yet

Firstly, they have no evidence that she hasn't run away. Secondly, they have no evidence that she has been abducted. Thirdly they have walked that area where she may have gone missing with a huge search and discovered absolutely nothing.

This bloke has disappeared, so there is a good chance he may have something to do with it. He has left the UK, but the police want to see him and I would imagine that in time he will at least be questioned and then they take it from there.

So, I fail to see the comparison with what has gone on in the UK despite your effort to excuse what has happened in Thailand.

Agree, what happens in rest of the World has nothing to do with the farce and circusshow that the Royal Thai Police are performing - what a disgrace and shame for the Land of 2 Faces ... What clowns this Police, TAT and Mr. militaryman are

What else to expect? And doubt the polls look much better after 9 days of nothing has passed.

"The poll showed that 80.47 per cent wanted authorities to strictly enforce the law"

Could be the best idea ever!

Unfortunately the remaining 19.53% part is the one with enough money to pay the BIB not to enforce the law.
If the law was strictly enforced there'd be no gogo bars, no bar girls and no beer after midnight. That would drive many tourists away, a a significant percentage come here for those things. So maybe the 20% realise this.

Why? Gogo bars and bar girls are not illegal and in any case are entirely irrelevant to this case.

FWIW, we've halved our upcoming vacation time on Koh Phangan from 6 to 3 months as a result of this horrid crime and lack of arrests. If things don't improve, we might cancel altogether and go somewhere else. Our friend has also cancelled his winter vacation to Koh Tao.

If you are after a bit of still unspoilt Thailand why not check out Thung Wua Lean beach just 15 kilometers out of Chumphon.

It has a beautiful beach and it really is still a very friendly place and they are not after your money every 5 mins.

It has restaurant's and bars scattered along the beach serving Thai, Indian and Western food.

There a couple of hotels but mostly bungalow resorts.

It also has a few dive, scuba companies that will take you to uncrowded sites.

I try to get down from Bkk every 2 to 3 weeks just to chill and have a very good Indian curry and few cold ones sitting looking at the view.

post-120222-0-65368400-1412049356_thumb.post-120222-0-41934200-1412049411_thumb.

i think all this is about funding the so called mafia and corrupt police

if this corruption was removed then surely the locals would make more money

once the corruption has been removed then tourism would most likely rise

Good points. i run a modest tourist-related biz in northernmost Thailand and have never had even a hint of those type of problems: No one (official or non-official) has ever approached me asking for a pay-out. Perhaps some of the good people doing biz in Ko Tao might consider relocating to a region where pay-offs are not required. Ideally, Ko Tao would just have one or two little Forest Service shacks with some scenic paths winding through. The whole island could be declared a National Park. It would take 50 to 150 years for the man-built infrastructure to return to nature (or at least be covered over, but it's worth the wait. On the other hand, Thais don't know about patience. That's why there are no 4-way stops on any Thai roads. Can you imagine a Thai driver waiting for more than 3 seconds to allow others to pass?

There's a section of the Hat Railey (in Krabi province on the Andaman side) which is still mostly jungle and quite lovely (big trees, monkees, sea breezes, etc). As with every other sq.m of attractive property in Thailand, it is fast being encroached upon and will soon be covered with people and their buildings, 7-11's and crap. Yet it's not too late to have it declared a park. Sadly, Thai officials can only think of money and non-stop development. Preserving nature ranks low on their priority list.