Bangkok: High fares for taxis, subway approved

webfact

I can't believe all the whinging on this board, really? Taxi fares have not changed in 22 years, can the same be said about the cost for petrol/CNG, insurance, tires, cleaning? If you are that poor that you can't afford 11% then maybe it is time for you to pack up and go back home and get on the dole.

As for them refusing to take you somewhere, Why should they go somewhere when they know they will only get the meter price and no return fare? People need to stop their belly aching and be glad they are allowed the privilege of living here.

Of course they should take you to where you want to go. Isn't that the point of a taxi SERVICE.

'Be glad you are allowed the privilege of living here'. are you on about, this isn't Utopia if you hadn't noticed.

Not all people stay here by design. Sometimes circumstances dictate that you stay here.

What do you think we should all do, take it in the arse whilst singing The 5th Dimension - Age of Aquarius

Other than being in jail here what other circumstances dictate that you stay here? And if your in the pokey i really don't have any sympathy for you. If you stay it is as a guest and any of us here really have no say in how they run their country. So if they want to raise the fare by 1000% up to them if you don't like then don't pay. I bet most of the ones complaining are the same ones who bitch and moan about immigrants to the UK and US not integrating. But I am done here so troll away. Edited by Chwooly

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thailand is no longer affordable to the average farang they are raising prices on everything.

You must be joking!!

they are and if you say they arent you should have come here 5 years ago to see how things have changed.

It is called inflation. It happens everywhere.

thailand is no longer affordable to the average farang they are raising prices on everything.

You must be joking!!

they are and if you say they arent you should have come here 5 years ago to see how things have changed.

I think jdinasia is referring to your statement that Thailand is no longer affordable for the average farang. Of course prices are rising, that's normal. If they aren't you have stagnation or worse still deflation.

Here we go. From one extreme (unaffordable) to another (taxis are great and 100% of Thais are gold).

Stick to the facts please. 11% hike is still below poverty line hike.

Like I said, public transport and taxis have gone up in Canada 50% in the last ten years.

People complaining about the increase are really due go back for a visit to their home country.

Taxi here costs me the same as the price of a bus ticket back home.

These are the facts.

I can't believe all the whinging on this board, really? Taxi fares have not changed in 22 years, can the same be said about the cost for petrol/CNG, insurance, tires, cleaning? If you are that poor that you can't afford 11% then maybe it is time for you to pack up and go back home and get on the dole.

As for them refusing to take you somewhere, Why should they go somewhere when they know they will only get the meter price and no return fare? People need to stop their belly aching and be glad they are allowed the privilege of living here.

Of course they should take you to where you want to go. Isn't that the point of a taxi SERVICE.

'Be glad you are allowed the privilege of living here'. are you on about, this isn't Utopia if you hadn't noticed.

Not all people stay here by design. Sometimes circumstances dictate that you stay here.

What do you think we should all do, take it in the arse whilst singing The 5th Dimension - Age of Aquarius

Other than being in jail here what other circumstances dictate that you stay here? And if your in the pokey i really don't have any sympathy for you. If you stay it is as a guest and any of us here really have no say in how they run their country. So if they want to raise the fare by 1000% up to them if you don't like then don't pay. I bet most of the ones complaining are the same ones who bitch and moan about immigrants to the UK and US not integrating. But I am done here so troll away.

Another reason it might be difficult to leave is if, like me you have family here. I'm not a guest as I wasn't invited. I live here and contribute the same as anyone else. More than many Thais in fact since all my vehicles have tax and insurance.

I'm certainly not complaining about the fare increase as I think it's cheap.

I don't live in Bangkok so I don't use taxis as much as many do but I've only occasionally had one refuse a journey or to use the meter. If they do that then as far as I know they are breaking the law and as you say their laws are up to them so they should abide by them.

Other than being in jail here what other circumstances dictate that you stay here?

But I am done here so troll away.

So you ask a question and then say you're done here. I take it you don't want to hear an answer that might prove you wrong.

Edited by kimamey

taxi fares rose in 2007 - the 35 baht base rate stayed the same, but the cost/km rose, as did the idling charge.

Not complaining though. They're due a rise. Taxis are pretty good, when they agree to take you at all ....

Getting them to use the METER is the hard thing

No it's not. I've used taxi regularly for last 4 years and less than 5% don't want t use the meter. Most just switch it on. But I don't take taxis that are parked outside hotels or tourist attractions. They are usually the ones that don't want to use the meter. Just hail one and they're usually ok.

Yes.

If I happen to be in one of those zones, I'll just walk 50 meters down the road and stick out my hand.

No problem.

thumbsup.gif

Wow the ignorance and Thai bashing of some people on this board is incredible. If the taxi rates was adjusted in 2007 then I fully understand the need for them to not use the meter or refusing trips with much traffic.

I just looked up the numbers and the average inflation in Thailand is around 3% (a lot higher in 2008 and lower now) If you paid 100 Baht for something I 2007 then after inflation you must now in 2014 pay 122,99 Baht. So to be honest even with a 11% raise in fare prices are still way to cheap. I can almost get to the airport from Sukhumvit for the same price as I pay in starter fee here in Denmark. In fact taking a taxi the 3 km I have from the city center to my house cost me the equivalent of 650 baht the last time I been out drinking a bit.

So the Thai taxi drivers are in fact getting poorer and poorer and they are forced to deny customers to feed their family. So you cannot expect that they stop that practice before they are actually paid a wage they can live off. Therefore the prices should be increased by at least 25% and be adjusted at least every other year.

Regarding Thailand becoming to expensive for the “average” Farrang tourist is just bullshit. Yes prices have risen but when I came to Thailand for the first time in 2002 it was insanely cheap and it is still very cheap compared to western countries.

By far the most informed post on here. Taxi drivers do not take fares because they aren't going to earn anything after accounting for the costs. Increasing the fare 11% won't change that, it needs to be 25% or more. This is the worst of both worlds, an increase that still leaves the drivers with insufficient money to do the job properly and with passengers who think the service should improve because the fare has increased.

It amazes me how many people seem to have continual problems with taxis not using the meter. You must all be getting in cabs waiting outside large hotels the whole time, or in one of the farang bar areas.

Agreed....

In many cases taxis seem to 'loiter' in certain areas where they think they can get away with over charging etc... ... the trick is to try and catch a moving taxi in these areas, but sometimes even that is difficult....

In Sukhumvit Soi 11 (farang bar area) trying to get an honest taxi in the evening its almost impossible, it doesn't bother me too much as I'm rarely there.

I drive in the day time so that doesn't bother me either, but in areas I do go out drinking more regularly the taxi's are simply quite normal and decent working chaps... with the occasional muppet, just as I imagine the occasional customer is also a muppet...

I don't see a slight increase as any change... I always round up anyway..

e.g.

If the fare is 50 baht, I'll simply hand over 3 x 20 baht notes.

With a 10% increase to a fare of 55 baht I'll do the same, it will still cost me 60 Baht.

What does irritate me however, is the lack of seat belts in the back of a taxi... Its 2014 and hardly any cabs have the seatbelt stalks in use.

Who the hell care what they charge, they don't want to take you to any destination they think will have some traffic. Saturday 6 taxis refused my wife to go to Mochit BTS from Kasetsart University. Law or no law they still refuse you.

Anytime I've had a cabbie refused to take me where I want to go, and it's urgent for me to go, I simply offered him 50 thb more than it would've been on the meter. I've never been refused using that approach.

It's still so so so much cheaper than it is in the west.

Let them hike up the price, earn a decent daily wage, and still pay a fraction of what were used to paying at home.

Ever take a taxi from Munich airport to anywhere, or New York to Newark? It can be a real fortune.

Good on them I say.

You must be joking!!

have lived here since 2003 & visited since 1997. If Thailand isn't affordable you might want to try living in a park back home.

Excellent response...... Love it!

Cheap Charlie's abound aren't there!

• Like 1

"It's been around 22 years since the taxi fare was adjusted, Minister Prajin Juntong said Saturday.

I seem to remember them raising fares recently......Oh yeah, they did:

taxi fares rose in 2007 - the 35 baht base rate stayed the same, but the cost/km rose, as did the idling charge.

Not complaining though. They're due a rise. Taxis are pretty good, when they agree to take you at all ....

Taxi fares have not been raised in 22 yrs, don't know what the problem is? I'm not rich beyond my wildest dreams but for what it has, many western amenities and cheaper alternatives too, there are still not many places that can compare.

Come on, lets get the "you've just arrived here" comments out of the way. lol

In comparison, the starting fare in Toronto is the equivalent to 22 km travelled in a BKK cab.

Other than being in jail here what other circumstances dictate that you stay here? And if your in the pokey i really don't have any sympathy for you. If you stay it is as a guest and any of us here really have no say in how they run their country. So if they want to raise the fare by 1000% up to them if you don't like then don't pay. I bet most of the ones complaining are the same ones who bitch and moan about immigrants to the UK and US not integrating. But I am done here so troll away.

Another reason it might be difficult to leave is if, like me you have family here. I'm not a guest as I wasn't invited. I live here and contribute the same as anyone else. More than many Thais in fact since all my vehicles have tax and insurance.

I'm certainly not complaining about the fare increase as I think it's cheap.

I don't live in Bangkok so I don't use taxis as much as many do but I've only occasionally had one refuse a journey or to use the meter. If they do that then as far as I know they are breaking the law and as you say their laws are up to them so they should abide by them.

Other than being in jail here what other circumstances dictate that you stay here?

But I am done here so troll away.

So you ask a question and then say you're done here. I take it you don't want to hear an answer that might prove you wrong.

If you are not a Thai citizen,illegal immigrant or trafficked human. You are a guest here. By giving you a visa it is an implied invitation. how much you contribute is immaterial. You choose to have a family here you could choose to take them back to your home country. If they refuse to go then how much are they really your family. as long as I have been here every time I take a taxi I have been asked before I got in where. If it against the law then yes they should follow the law. Edited by Chwooly

It amazes me how many people seem to have continual problems with taxis not using the meter. You must all be getting in cabs waiting outside large hotels the whole time, or in one of the farang bar areas.

Agreed....

In many cases taxis seem to 'loiter' in certain areas where they think they can get away with over charging etc... ... the trick is to try and catch a moving taxi in these areas, but sometimes even that is difficult....

In Sukhumvit Soi 11 (farang bar area) trying to get an honest taxi in the evening its almost impossible, it doesn't bother me too much as I'm rarely there.

I drive in the day time so that doesn't bother me either, but in areas I do go out drinking more regularly the taxi's are simply quite normal and decent working chaps... with the occasional muppet, just as I imagine the occasional customer is also a muppet...

I don't see a slight increase as any change... I always round up anyway..

e.g.

If the fare is 50 baht, I'll simply hand over 3 x 20 baht notes.

With a 10% increase to a fare of 55 baht I'll do the same, it will still cost me 60 Baht.

What does irritate me however, is the lack of seat belts in the back of a taxi... Its 2014 and hardly any cabs have the seatbelt stalks in use.

Agree with you both, as yet i have not had an issue with the meter not being used, the odd one will joke and say some crazy price before i get in, i just say no thanks and they normal say okay and away we go. Like Richard says. i also tip them, normally quite generously, 20 baht for a 60 baht trip, still seems good value to me, especially coming from London we it is horrendous. Most drivers are okay and will try to chat, i speak very little Thai and most of them speak very little English but somehow we seem to get by. I am happy they are getting an increase, small as it maybe, at least they will have a little extra pocket money at the end of the day, as i am sure most are just average guys with a family they need to support.coffee1.gif

Get rid of the mafia extorting the drivers and the moto-taxis. wai2.gifwai.gif

And then perhaps, they'll keep more in their pockets... thumbsup.gif

Correct, the taxi rental price is been regulated by a few mafia type companies.

A agree to increase the price for the fares but i bet that the rental price will increase also 10-11 % so drivers been back to where they are at this time.

Subway fares going up is not good news at least, service seems overpriced to me already for normal working Thais.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. The subway is the best kept secret in BKK for commuters. Fast, clean and efficient, if a little crowded at peak times! I love it!

Subway fares going up is not good news at least, service seems overpriced to me already for normal working Thais.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. The subway is the best kept secret in BKK for commuters. Fast, clean and efficient, if a little crowded at peak times! I love it!

I agree....great service, but Shhhhh, they will all want in if they find out. thumbsup.gif

As long as they can afford to let you stand by the roadside and drive away empty or ask for a bloated fee I find it difficult to agree to any increase. I also wish farangs would stop going on about the cheap taxi fares in TH compared to places like London and New York. Such singled out comparisons are totally meaningless.

• Like 1

As long as they can afford to let you stand by the roadside and drive away empty or ask for a bloated fee I find it difficult to agree to any increase. I also wish farangs would stop going on about the cheap taxi fares in TH compared to places like London and New York. Such singled out comparisons are totally meaningless.

How about a more comprehensive comparison, then?

http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world-taxi-prices-what-a-3-kilometer-ride-costs-in-72-big-cities/

Still looks like a bargain to me.

• Like 1