Thailand aims to be world leader in fashion, textile design

webfact

So the well known brands are going to leave Paris, Milan, New York and will settle in Bangkok?

How? And Why?

Because the West is dying and the East is rising. I find it funny that so many Westerners are in denial about their home countries.

Also, there is no need for leading brands to leave the cities you mention. They can be based in more than one city. A world fashion leader is bound to emerge in Asia, so why shouldn't it be in Bangkok. Bangkok women are particularly interested in fashion, so I think Bangkok has an advantage over most other Asian cities. Seoul would also likely be one of the leaders.

clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Still, at least you didn't suggest India!

While they may not be Florence, there are some unique finds out there in BKK, such as shoemaker London Brown and selvedge denim from Viapiana. If you go further north, Sam Hober has a fantastic product.

My wife has former colleagues that have gone on to work in Milan and Paris. Some received scholarships to study fashion in Europe.

Give it time. While world leader may be a stretch, there are definitely some Thais and farang doing interesting things. At least it is a start.

• Like 1

Typical male farang replies. Probably most of you dress in beer t-shirts and know nothing of fashion. Bangkok women are among the most fashionable in Asia, and that's acknowledged by many leading fashion houses. Just because you farangs don't agree doesn't mean anything.

Wealthy Thai ladies are indeed usually well jeweled and often well dressed. They love going to the expensive malls and buying the Foreign farang designs. The ones who can't afford this have to buy the knock off illegal copyright infringing copies of the Foreign farang designs.

Now, can you draw some conclusions from this? Hint - Thailand, copy. illegal.

What has Thailand contributed to the world of fashion design? Seriously, name any brand of clothes, textiles or accessories that originated in Thailand.

Where are all these creative geniuses going to come from? In a couple of weeks Bangkok University are running "Creative Bangkok 2014" with a whole raft of international speakers. Go along and have a look.

Thailand may have ambitions, which are commendable, but the whole education, business, finance and legal systems need a massive change program to deliver this. Starting with a serious reduction in xenophobia.

• Like 1

While they may not be Florence, there are some unique finds out there in BKK, such as shoemaker London Brown and selvedge denim from Viapiana. If you go further north, Sam Hober has a fantastic product.

My wife has former colleagues that have gone on to work in Milan and Paris. Some received scholarships to study fashion in Europe.

Give it time. While world leader may be a stretch, there are definitely some Thais and farang doing interesting things. At least it is a start.

Let's hope that the changes to the commercial structures that will be needed to facilitate the developments take place.

On the education front, a number of Thai universities are forging good links with Western universities, including joint research.

From these little acorns....................... you are right, but needs the right nurturing not the customary exploitation.

• Like 1

So the well known brands are going to leave Paris, Milan, New York and will settle in Bangkok?

How? And Why?

You have'nt noticed? They relocated to the sidewalks of Sukhumvit and Patpong night market years ago.
Ralph Lauren's looking for a shophouse in Samut Prakaan as we speak.

Another very stupid dream.

I would say misguided rather than stupid. This from the OP: the textile industry of Thailand ... responded to the industrial development master plan of the country smacks of the directed economies of the forner Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries, which got them nowhere. Now Thailand wants to follow their suit.

Another very stupid dream.

I would say misguided rather than stupid. This from the OP: the textile industry of Thailand ... responded to the industrial development master plan of the country smacks of the directed economies of the forner Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries, which got them nowhere. Now Thailand wants to follow their suit.

Maybe the PM, after he has completed writing the soap opera scripts, will now take over fashion design.

This has more to do with promotion a false identity of National pride while overlooking an economy in free fall

North Koreans think they are world leaders in many things.

Its called propaganda ….

Make a list …it will be Long.

Thailand voted smartest people on Planet .

99 out of every 100 people wish they were Thai in Farang Poll.

PM voted best leader in world.

Thailand advises America on Morals…America says its very grateful

Edited by Fred Flinstone

How? And Why?

Because they can invest billions and only have to worry about their 49% stake; and everything is so easy here for foreign businesses.

The highly efficient Thai business families will manage everything business wise, utilizing the incredible design creativity that can be found throughout Thailand.

Over the same 15 year period Thailand will build a football team which will win the world cup, win the most medals at the Olympics, and re-write the medical science books with miracle cures.

I think they should change the slogan from "Amazing Thailand" to "Thailand - simply the best".

But in the Thais' minds aren't they already the BEST in everything?

There are some good fashion designers in Asia. Thais are pretty creative and artistic with an eye for beauty. They are not the best marketers on the world and the society and business environment does not yet support sufficiently. In 30 years ..... Maybe, but not unless there is a sea change in attitudes particularly relating to foreign investment and protection through a vigorous and fair Justice system. The racism has to stop so business investors can do their jobs.

• Like 1

Well the only way I can figure this as a possibility is if the country stops growing rice and starts growing cotton. They will have to increase silk production. Very few people in the world are as physically small as Thais. I am a larger size and cannot find a Thai tailor who can adjust my measurements to his cloth. Since math is not a skill most Thais have, I wonder how they will be able to pull this one off? And what if customers want clothes custom made? I actually had two pair of trousers made for me, custom, and when I picked them up they were very small. The tailor said, "I don't do large sizes".

Good luck in this endeavor.

Let's hope that the changes to the commercial structures that will be needed to facilitate the developments take place.

On the education front, a number of Thai universities are forging good links with Western universities, including joint research.

From these little acorns....................... you are right, but needs the right nurturing not the customary exploitation.

Joint research!!!! LOL Sorry but what I've observed i.e. most Thai undertakings = foreigner companies/universities etc. bring the product/ ability/ know how, and Thais demand being part of that if any business is to do business here. Thais typically copy/memorize/plagiarize practically everything. How can it not all things (Thai) considered.