Why this forum site so Slow?

boatguy

Am I the only person experiencing how slow this forum site can be? There are many times that I just leave the site before even waiting to get on, as it takes so long to first get on, then even between pages.

I have some suspicions it has to do with the 'pop-up advertisements' on the site? ...as it appears to wait until all these 'ads' load up before you are allowed to proceed to scroll down a page.

I'm not a computer guru, just an older fellow who gets a bit perturbed with this 'excessive advertisement' and 'tracking' that we bombarded with these days.

(I have been experiencing this problem on this site for at least a year or more, while simultaneously NOT experiencing it on at least 4 boating forums I participate in)

Brian

• Like 2

minus one on the speed issue, at the moment I am using the following

1- The misses is watching Television via the Internet

2- I am watching another program (also Internet Television) on my NUC.

3- I'm posting this on ThaiVisa, and I don't have any speed issues while posting

And this all goes through the same router, with no buffering.

I would check your Ethernet / Wireless connection, your Router and as said before your DNS.

Edited by MJCM

I'm on 3BB in Pattaya

@Chiang mai and @Boat Guy.

Check your Router and check at what speed you are connected at.

I had a problem once (with TOT) and I was only getting 4Mb while I was paying for 10Mb.

Eventually they came and had a look and changed the cabling and everything was running fine again.

Worth checking.

Edit 1: Just in case if you don;t know what to look for here a sample screenshot

Edited by MJCM

Download a program called DNSJumper (link: http://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v1-0-6/ ) and change your DNS to Google DNS and then try again

What are the 'downsides' (negatives) to putting this additional software onto my computer?? What things do I filter out that I might still be interested in,....such as in a google search for various subjects?

I'm just always a little leery of adding additional programs and software to my computer. I had those numerous experiences where some software peddler wants me to add their 'latest, greatest product' to keep my computer running smooth and virus free,...and then after reading thru all of their claims you finally arrive at their page announcing the price, and you realize this is 'just another' company of MANNY trying to sell some software product that the unsuspecting consumer (neophyte computer user) does not really know how to source out the good from the bad or not so good.

Sorry for being such a skeptic wink.pngsmile.png

There is a throttling issue with 3BB from time to time, that is totally separate from the TVF slowness issue which is not related.

And no, I don't wish to download an alternative DNS handler from a site that is largely unknown, especially not version 1.06 of any software, thanks anyway.

BTW, I am currently in the USA near Washington DC and getting my internet thru Comcast. No one else online at the time. And as I said I am on other forums and do not experience this very slow speed on them.

BTW, what is DNS ?.....and Google DNS

<snip>

And no, I don't wish to download an alternative DNS handler from a site that is largely unknown, especially not version 1.06 of any software, thanks anyway.

Oke understood then change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google Public DNS)

Edited by MJCM

BTW, I am currently in the USA near Washington DC and getting my internet thru Comcast. No one else online at the time. And as I said I am on other forums and do not experience this very slow speed on them.

BTW, what is DNS ?.....and Google DNS

Maybe it could be that it's affected by the Cable Break, that your experiencing this, but on further though, it should not as Thaivisa is hosted in the Cloud.

read here about DNS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Most prominently, it translates easily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for the purpose of locating computer services and devices worldwide. The Domain Name System is an essential component of the functionality of the Internet.

minus one on the speed issue, at the moment I am using the following

1- The misses is watching Television via the Internet

2- I am watching another program (also Internet Television) on my NUC.

3- I'm posting this on ThaiVisa, and I don't have any speed issues while posting

And this all goes through the same router, with no buffering.

I would check your Ethernet / Wireless connection, your Router and as said before your DNS.

Same same me... tele going via internet and on here too ... 3 BB Samui

OP may need to just clear his cache.... when I forget to do that things can sloooow down! wink.png

I have been getting slow service from TV for many months and put it down to the possibility the server they use isnt one of the best and is over subscribed and that they use a lot of pop ups to finance themselves. Their band width could also be very limiting, luckily I have a bit of patience and dont mind waiting for every single page to load for 30 seconds or so.

Just to test things, I fired up my old laptop and let it download a 700mb+ Linux ISO.

So 4 pcs working 1 downloading, 2 watching tv and 1 posting on internet and only now I am getting shouts from the other room why is the Television not working ;) and for me it takes a while for ThaiVisa to load.

So Guys please check your PC's for Viruses (I dont even dare to post any links), check your Routers, check your DNS and as already said clean your Cache and Temp files (again not posting any links)

I'm on TOT FTTx here in Northern Thailand.

Our current page took 8 seconds to load and render on my laptop.

There are a lot of independent factors that can affect page loads and rendering. It isn't always the fault of ThaiVisa, their host, or even your ISP.

While my connection works fine with ThaiVisa, it has major issues with Amazon or eBay where I don't receive the css or scripts to render the page (I just get the page text and graphics but no data on how they're supposed to be positioned), but these issues are quickly alleviated with the use of a Proxy or VPN browser plugin that usually force the packets to take a completely different path back to me.