Type of VISA to "work" promoting an internet service in Thailand ?

Hello

I plan to promote as a freelancer in Thailand a French internet webradio station based in Belgium.

This webradio has an international audience and is meant not only for French-speaking retired, expats or businesses living in Thailand but also all the French-speaking people in Canada, France, Belgium, Switzerland or Africa interested by Thailand.

The promotion could be done from anywhere in the world by calling or emailing...but more specifically, it would be made by contacts or prospection in Thailand if I meet a French(speaking) expat or maybe go to eat or drink in a French pub/restaurant. So basically it's just establishing contacts and put them in contact with the foreign webradio.

If the French owner/manager decides to make the promotion of his business, he can then subscribe by internet on the website of the radio to a campaign of broadcasted ads. He pays then directly the radiostation by internet on the website...

So no cash transaction involved.

I would act a bit like a sales representative sent by a foreign company to prospect the thai market and paid abroad by his home country company.

Now, more and more foreigners work remotely from their computer while they stay in Thailand. I know it has been controversed a lot in the past few years but I think I saw a recent post on Thaivisa from Thai Immigration head in BKK who clarified the situation and confirmed it was legal to do so on a tourist visa (can you maybe re-send me this link ?)

It is normal to run your remote business or send emails to your employees or partners abroad or make translations for a remote Customer abroad or even do some consulting bussiness by internet or manage your stocks, funds even if you are on extended holiday.

The slight difference here is that I would not only do this business from home in Thailand but more buy meeting business owners.

Would it then need a "Non-Immigrant B" visa but of course no Work Permit as we DO NOT have or work for any company in Thailand ?

Or can this activity been conducted without any trouble on a TOURIST or even a RETIRED visa (I'm 50 years old) ? As I would act more like a "CONSULTANT", my only job would be to make contacts and put the radio in relation with the business owners in Thailand.

I also know that the new government in place made some changes lately regarding the Visa requirements, so I am asking for an up-to-date information as of 29-September-2014.

Thank you in advance.

So are you asking whether it is OK to physically go in&out of the Thai/Bangkok offices of Thai companies / advertising agencies / media buyers selling ad time -- whether yourself or by referral to those in Belgium -- on an internet radio station without a work permit?

Thai Immigration head in BKK who clarified the situation and confirmed it was legal to do so on a tourist visa (can you maybe re-send me this link ?

No he didn't, the news article was reported out of context and involved an off the cuff remark in response to a question about legitimate tourists being on holiday in Thailand and checking work emails while on holiday,from their places of work oversea's, further he gave an opinion not an official immigration "position"

This is not even close to what your proposing to do, your proposing to do direct marketing in Thailand with Thai based clients, you are not a tourist by any stretch of the imagination, at the very minimum you need a Non-Imm B visa, and am inclined to suggest you would need a WP as well, simply because you are working in "public places" and out in the open

I am in a similar position and need advice.

My Thai consulate in Australia is happy to give me a business visa to talk to thai businesses in regards to a compact high horse power fuel saving engine we have developed.

We have built a single cylinder engine but are considering the possibilities of having components built in Thailand to try and reduce our costs.

My job would be to search for engineering companies that could assist. We would use more than one company to manufacture different components, just to try and protect our invention.

From what I have read a business visa is for someone to conduct business and attend meetings. That's exactly what I will be doing. I am not working I am attending meetings and trying to give thai companies work.

Like I said earlier my Thai consulate is happy to give me the visa after explaining what I am doing, but ultimately it comes down to the 90 day border runs and the immigration officer.

Do I need a work permit??

I am in a similar position and need advice.

My Thai consulate in Australia is happy to give me a business visa to talk to thai businesses in regards to a compact high horse power fuel saving engine we have developed.

We have built a single cylinder engine but are considering the possibilities of having components built in Thailand to try and reduce our costs.

My job would be to search for engineering companies that could assist. We would use more than one company to manufacture different components, just to try and protect our invention.

From what I have read a business visa is for someone to conduct business and attend meetings. That's exactly what I will be doing. I am not working I am attending meetings and trying to give thai companies work.

Like I said earlier my Thai consulate is happy to give me the visa after explaining what I am doing, but ultimately it comes down to the 90 day border runs and the immigration officer.

Do I need a work permit??

From what wrote about what you plan on doing would not require a work permit.

But staying here full time to do it might be considered stepping over the line a little bit.

So are you asking whether it is OK to physically go in&out of the Thai/Bangkok offices of Thai companies / advertising agencies / media buyers selling ad time -- whether yourself or by referral to those in Belgium -- on an internet radio station without a work permit?

I read French expats in pubs and restaurants, not Thai companies.

I read French expats in pubs and restaurants, not Thai companies.

I read business owners in Thailand who would want to advertise to French speaking persons.

French business owners in pubs and restaurants / through email or phone. Not physically going in & out of any company offices. Perhaps OP can clarify.

ANY business owner in Thailand looking to attract the French speaking market -- when you go into the pub just look for the 'Business Owner' on their name tag.

If he wants Robinson's to advertise to French speaking listeners to the Belgium based internet radio station he's supposed to go hang out in pubs until he meets the VP of advertising for Robinson's when they both happen to be in the same pub or meet some who knows the VP of advertising at Robinson's?

If he widened the scope to any companies that might be interested, not just Robinson's, and went to expat hangout / organised meetups for networking, I'd imagine he'd be fine. Part of his work is also done from home. Are you deliberately trolling again?

He wasn't saying he'd don a suit and tie and walk into board rooms without a work permit, as much as you'd like to paint it that way.

Edited by jspill

It can mean physically go in and out but mostly those french do not really work also right ? It's mostly in the name of their wife ...

Also most of the targeted businesses are related to tourists so often: restaurants, pubs, renting bikes...

Also as I mentionned WE DO NOT HAVE ANY COMPANY IN THAILAND SO WHO COULD THEN GIVE ME A WP IF NEEDED ?

And this webradiostation is not really a company yet it has just started with small investment.

They do not even give me a salary, we would share the commissions on ads if and when I find advertizers who buy ads.....

Btw I was thinking a lawyer would answer me and not to have just the opinion of the members who can ne interesting for sure but maybe obsolete

You mostly have answered yourself already, you can't have a work permit in Thailand consequently what you will do and how, it's your decision only.

So what does an official foreign-appointed sales representative do ?

Let's say he want to promote physically in Thailand for a few months the softwares of his company and has to make a presentation or a demonstration to the targeted customer or by speaking at a meeting ??

It is not rare so on what kind of visa do they enter and is a wp requested and if yes who the hell in Thailand can give him if he is the only one in Thailand and his company abroad??

If you are working for or on behalf of an organisation not based in Thailand - you will need a Non-B business visa to comply with the law - preferably a multi-entry visa which is valid for 1 year. Usually to get such a visa you need to apply in your own country as it is unlikely you would get such a visa in another country. Normally, as an absolute minimum, you need a letter of introduction from the organisation you are working for and another letter of introduction from a Thai company that you will visit - any one will do as long as you can get someone to write such a letter for you + a copy of their company registration documents. You definitely don't need a work permit as long as you are working for a legitimate foreign organisation. I have spent a lot of time in Thailand over the past 10 years in this way - I have clarified it with the Thai Embassy in London several times and Immigration here - and have always been told that everything is fine and definitely don't need a work permit.

• Like 1

It can mean physically go in and out but mostly those french do not really work also right ? It's mostly in the name of their wife ...

Also most of the targeted businesses are related to tourists so often: restaurants, pubs, renting bikes...

Also as I mentionned WE DO NOT HAVE ANY COMPANY IN THAILAND SO WHO COULD THEN GIVE ME A WP IF NEEDED ?

And this webradiostation is not really a company yet it has just started with small investment.

They do not even give me a salary, we would share the commissions on ads if and when I find advertizers who buy ads.....

"representative office"

there is even a work permit B subtype specifically for that.

Just relax and try your thing. As long as you are not competing or working for Thai companies, you will be ok.

I'd be more worried about business prospects of this idea. Many foreign restaurants have satellite TV channels already and they might no be that interested in a webradio unless it is basically almost free.

Add to that the fact many of foreign restaurants are bleeding money. Most of them will fail within 5 years from start, so webradio is not very high on priorities.

• Like 1

no, the radio is FREE of course, you misunderstood...

If they are interested in promoting their business or restaurant for French-speaking ppl around the world or in their city, they can then buy on the website a radio advertising for a small price (so many radio-spots) that will be realised custom with their text and broadcasted 1, 2 or several months

Time Traveller, on 30 Sept 2014 - 07:51, said:

the company you are working for should help you apply for a business visa at the nearest thailand embassy or consulate. When in thailand they can help you with a Work permit application at the local Labor Dept office.

I will not really be "working" , this is just a small webradiostation, that costs only maybe about 35 -50€ per month not more, and then will not get salary,

only commissions if some customers (businesses) in Thailand buy some radio ad campaign like for 1, 2 or 3 months...