Thaivisa New Super Web Server

george

We have purchased a brand new server to be installed at the end of this month. It will be a top notch Dell managed dedicated server with all bells and whistles. It will be installed in Singapore direct on the Singtel international backbone. Thaivisa.com will be faster to reach from Thailand (direct peering), and our members located in US, Europe, Asia and Australia will also get a better and faster connection.

Nearly 60% of thaivisa traffic comes from Thailand, Asia and Australia.

We hope that this investment, approx. 300,000 Baht, will improve the speed and security, and to minimize the downtime we have experienced lately.

I will keep you updated as we approach migration to the new server.

Guest endure

This is a monster!

We hope that this investment, approx. 300,000 Baht

You've been had. They only cost 72,000 Baht.

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/article.php?sid=11430

Maybe you should just invest all your money into hiring somone who knows how to look after a server properly? :o

The Dell server that George's link points to is $5301. Your link points to servers that START AT $1800.

Georges link points to the Dell PowerEdge 1950, which is $1,898.

Uk prices ->

The new servers are available immediately, Dell says. The PowerEdge 1950 costs £899, as does the PowerEdge 2900, while the PowerEdge 2950 is £1,549.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39273621,00.htm

Whichever way you look at it, TV has been had. Those prices are ridiculous.

This is a monster!

We hope that this investment, approx. 300,000 Baht

You've been had. They only cost 72,000 Baht.

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/article.php?sid=11430

Maybe you should just invest all your money into hiring somone who knows how to look after a server properly? :o

Umm, did you actually read the entire post?

It will be installed in Singapore direct on the Singtel international backbone.
We hope that this investment, approx. 300,000 Baht, will improve the speed and security, and to minimize the downtime we have experienced lately.

Seems to me that Singtel will also charge for their services and that is probably included in the cost estimate of the "investment". :D

I believe you are missing the full picture here. First, how much memory, how much disk space, other peripheral equipment on it such as how swap power supplies, etc. This is probably a package deal and not just the price of the server and will include high speed, high uptime network backbone connection, and probably a 12 or 24 month support contract (24/7) plus many other items in the package. Enterprise dedicated servers are not cheap due to the extras and support.

Uk prices ->

The new servers are available immediately, Dell says. The PowerEdge 1950 costs £899, as does the PowerEdge 2900, while the PowerEdge 2950 is £1,549.

Why do you think that your opinion matters? :o

Guest endure

Uk prices ->

The Dell Poweredge 1950 STARTS AT $1898. The exact price depends on the specification. I sugggest you go and investigate the Dell website a bit more closely especially the 'Customise it' button. Here's a poweredge that costs $5301

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...B1675&s=biz

Edited by endure

Uk prices ->

The Dell Poweredge 1950 STARTS AT $1898. The exact price depends on the specification. I sugggest you go and investigate the Dell website a bit more closely especially the 'Customise it' button. Here's a poweredge that costs $5301

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...B1675&s=biz

Never mind endure. Smacks of TROLL to me :D

I am looking forward to it, hopefully it will help with speeds and down time (seen lots of that lately :o )

All talk about prices but no substance.

The fastest machine can be easily brought down on its knees. There are limits in software and hardware architecture. Like number of threads, concurrent access to disk drives etc.

The webserver is most of the times not the problem. When i look at mine it is around 5-10% even with a few thousand connections.

Look at the internet connection speed. Is it 16Mbit or maybe higher. For a current model computer that is peanuts. Other parts will be more important to look at. Diskdrives, networkcards, make sure routers and firewall have enough capacity etc..

The part that gets hit the hardest (especially in cases like a forum which is almost all database content) is the database server.

Putting it on a seperate machine is necessary.

I would suggest to keep using the one you have now as a webserver and make the new machine a dedicated databaseserver.

Only then will you be able to get the best out of those machines.

Is saw the most people online at the same time was 2,219. Most of them are reading, opening topics, writing messages.

Reading and writing is great because it is all done at the clients computer. That leaves maybe 50% of the people who are very actively opening and searching topics. How fast wil they do that. Maybe click every 10 seconds. That will leave maybe a maximum of 100 requests in a second. Still easily done by moderate systems. However if there are unoptimised queries, everything will collapse. What about a topic that is openend by a lot of people, like the tsunami news. Caching such queries will keep it fast. Just a few things MySql and this forum software is not 100% optimized for.

Just my experience in this business.

Edited by Khun Jean

Jasus.. some people just can't help being negative, even when something is being done to improve things...

Do you honestly think that the admin here haven't researched and made a decision based on their needs... really.. do you ?

totster :o

Jasus.. some people just can't help being negative, even when something is being done to improve things...

Do you honestly think that the admin here haven't researched and made a decision based on their needs... really.. do you ?

totster :o

Can't comment on that but a couple of people who know about hardware and websites have been called trolls by those who don't seem to know much. :D

Does it make coffee?..I do like a good cup of Cappo first thing in the morning.

We got one of those new la Vazzias thingys that woosh and splutter but cant figure out where the "hand"is that shakes the chocolate powder over the filled cup. :o

Waited so long my first ever cup got cold...... :D

anyway back to the server........ :D

SQL error: User thaivcom_ibrd1 has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

SQL error code:

Date: Tuesday 25th of July 2006 05:00:35 PM

These kinds of messages i am really talking about. You can put in a supercomputer but it will not help 1 bit in making a system more stable or able to process more requests.

Today with the news about the EC i get these message every few minutes. A lot can be done with configuring things for more users. Adn optimizing procedures. I guess these messages are the proof of what i was trying to say.

All talk about prices but no substance.

The fastest machine can be easily brought down on its knees. There are limits in software and hardware architecture. Like number of threads, concurrent access to disk drives etc.

The webserver is most of the times not the problem. When i look at mine it is around 5-10% even with a few thousand connections.

Look at the internet connection speed. Is it 16Mbit or maybe higher. For a current model computer that is peanuts. Other parts will be more important to look at. Diskdrives, networkcards, make sure routers and firewall have enough capacity etc..

The part that gets hit the hardest (especially in cases like a forum which is almost all database content) is the database server.

Putting it on a seperate machine is necessary.

I would suggest to keep using the one you have now as a webserver and make the new machine a dedicated databaseserver.

Only then will you be able to get the best out of those machines.

Is saw the most people online at the same time was 2,219. Most of them are reading, opening topics, writing messages.

Reading and writing is great because it is all done at the clients computer. That leaves maybe 50% of the people who are very actively opening and searching topics. How fast wil they do that. Maybe click every 10 seconds. That will leave maybe a maximum of 100 requests in a second. Still easily done by moderate systems. However if there are unoptimised queries, everything will collapse. What about a topic that is openend by a lot of people, like the tsunami news. Caching such queries will keep it fast. Just a few things MySql and this forum software is not 100% optimized for.

Just my experience in this business.

Khun Jean, you took the words right out of my mouth :o

Does it make coffee?..I do like a good cup of Cappo first thing in the morning.

We got one of those new la Vazzias thingys that woosh and splutter but cant figure out where the "hand"is that shakes the chocolate powder over the filled cup. :o

Waited so long my first ever cup got cold...... :D

anyway back to the server........ :D

Can't do the actual maker... but how about something to keep it warm..

obs033.jpg

link

totster :D