Anyone recommend a Car Camcorder?

cyberholz

@cyberholz, may I suggest you do a search as there are many posts about this topic.

Personally I only use Garmin Driving Recorders, just type into Google GDR35 or GDR 33 but there are many others like Blackvue.

One advice, go for the Full Hd 1080p ones as with the cheaper ones (and lesser resolution) you will NOT even be able to identify the license plate number of the car right in front of you. (Which could come in handy)

Good luck

• Like 1

@cyberholz , some additional information

When looking at Cams, look for Cams which require at least Class 6 (or higher) SDHC cards. These are the cards which are needed for recording the video and the sound, lower class cards aren't able to keep up with the High Resolution Cams.

Good Luck

Edited by MJCM

@cyberholz , some additional information

When looking at Cams, look for Cams which require at least Class 6 (or higher) SDHC cards. These are the cards which are needed for recording the video and the sound, lower class cards aren't able to keep up with the High Resolution Cams.

Good Luck

The sound?

I would imagine most drivers would prefer not to have a record of all the expletives they use towards other drivers during the morning commute !

Whats the old saying, "If they drive slower than you they are a fkn moron and if they drive faster they are a fkn a-hole" ?

;-) atleast thats the American expression.

Thanks very much for your suggesting the Garmins. I did not realize that Garmin made them. One question:

Would a GoPro be a decent option as a dashboard cam? The ability to record GPS location is not important for me.

Cheers

• Like 1

@ClutchC.

No idea about GoPros sorry

But re: Sound.

One advice I have read here on TV, if you record the sound and something happens and (for example) the car in question is too far away to be recorded by your Cam in great detail, the Cam will record the Audio if you say out loud the number plate and the make of the car, which you can use again later.

However never needed it and used it, but its sometimes funny to hear what was said when we browse through the Cam files back home (good for a laugh as well) ;)

Edit 1: Re: Gps location. One of The reason why I use the Garmins is because they also embed in the video the (actual) speed you are driving

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

@ClutchC.

No idea about GoPros sorry

But re: Sound.

One advice I have read here on TV, if you record the sound and something happens and (for example) the car in question is too far away to be recorded by your Cam in great detail, the Cam will record the Audio if you say out loud the number plate and the make of the car, which you can use again later.

However never needed it and used it, but its sometimes funny to hear what was said when we browse through the Cam files back home (good for a laugh as well) ;)

Excellent point! I will be buying the new Garmin GDR45 thanks to your suggestion.

Cheers

Lazada is a very good company and from BK.. You pay just at delivery and after looking and testing the product. Easy to get the money back if you do not like it. Very good customer service. I think the best cam for the price is one they have for about 1600thb with GPS or the one with 2 lens with free SD card. The ones cheaper than that also works OK but not so good at night.

Edited by umbanda

I have a Transcend Dashcam purchased from UK Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In-Black/dp/B00GRYT5QI

Image quality for both day and night is good. However, I am disappointed that you cannot read licence plate numbers unless the car is very close and directly in front of you. This is something I will be looking for in the next camera we buy (for our second car). Note 1: I changed the mount as the original mount caused the camera to vibrate too much. Note 2: the wifi is useless, way to slow, images on my android phone stutter too much to be useful.

One thing you need to think about when purchasing a camera is how you will show the images to the insurance people when they turn up at the roadside. The screen on the Transcend may be too small. However, it has a TV out which I understand can be plugged into the AV input in a headunit. I am thinking of getting a cable fitted to my headunit which I can then use to view the images on the larger screen.

All the cameras I have seen record in .mov format. Headunits in both our cars do not play .mov files. If they did then you could remove the mini SD Card from the dashcam, insert it in a SD Card adapter and view the video on the headunit. As an alternative you can insert the mini SD Card in your phone and view the video there.

Edited by pj123

Funny someone should mention Lazada. I was looking for an expresso machine as my old Krupps died and couldn't be fixed. So one of the little ads on the bottom of the page had a car cam and I clicked on it, bought it....and an expresso machine, and now it's here. But the instructions are in Thai and Chinese. I've tried to get the thing to go to the little spanner and hammer to set it up but I am just not getting the right key press sequence.

Anyone that has one could you spare a minute and tell me the button sequence to get it over to settings?

post-63954-0-41869700-1412405015_thumb.j post-63954-0-32926000-1412405042_thumb.j