China Airlines Business Class

happytobehere2014

Got a trip to the UK next month and was considering China Airlines Business, as the tickets seem reasonably cheap. The route is Bangkok - Amsterdam - London. Does anyone have recent experience of the flight ? l am told the airline has updated it's business class, but not sure if this extends to this route, or just the ones flying to China ? l am not wealthy just have a very bad back from my army days, so getting a seat that folds flat is a necessity; would be upset to pay the money and find out it's awful ! Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The seats on the Airbus A340 are not flat when reclined and these aircraft do not have the latest upgraded cabins.

I have used them 3 times a year for the last 10 years and find the price from the UK very reasonable.

They had the Boeing 747-400 on the route until about 3 years ago and they did have the newer cabins, but even then the seats were not quite fully flat.

Personally I find the A340 seats adjust to a sort of "cradle" position which stops me sliding about and I can sleep reasonably well.

Hopefully the new Boeing 777s will eventually take over on the BKK-AMS route.

The seats on the Airbus A340 are not flat when reclined and these aircraft do not have the latest upgraded cabins.

I have used them 3 times a year for the last 10 years and find the price from the UK very reasonable.

They had the Boeing 747-400 on the route until about 3 years ago and they did have the newer cabins, but even then the seats were not quite fully flat.

Personally I find the A340 seats adjust to a sort of "cradle" position which stops me sliding about and I can sleep reasonably well.

l understand the 777's are on the flights to China. Thanks for the info, more than l could find on the internet and the travel agent in Pattaya just nodded her head when l asked her what the cabins were like !

l understand the 777's are on the flights to China. Thanks for the info, more than l could find on the internet and the travel agent in Pattaya just nodded her head when l asked her what the cabins were like !

Here you go :

Yermanee wai.gif

Just flew Business Class to San Francisco from Bangkok ....I know, not same flight but thought maybe the info on the planes I flew might help.

Bangkok to Taipei ....Airbus A330...flat angle recline

Taipei to San Francisco....Boeing 747-400....flat angle recline

GREAT Price!...

What I do with these angle recline seats is carry on a triangular type backpack (any backpack would do) and put it at the feet part of the angle recline seat (ie build up the the bottom part of the angle so NO angle) making the seat mostly flat. Am able to sleep without slipping to the bottom of the seat. Works for me great and able to sleep comfortably. Better than nothing. (came up with the idea years ago while flying EVA which used to have the angle recline seats in business). Works best with a bulk head seat!

Check out seatguru.com for more info on the seats on particular planes.

Good luck and have a nice flight!

Edited by beachproperty

Here you go :

Yermanee wai.gif

Here you go :

Yermanee wai.gif

Thanks for the info

Just flew Business Class to San Francisco from Bangkok ....I know, not same flight but thought maybe the info on the planes I flew might help.

Bangkok to Taipei ....Airbus A330...flat angle recline

Taipei to San Francisco....Boeing 747-400....flat angle recline

GREAT Price!...

What I do with these angle recline seats is carry on a triangular type backpack (any backpack would do) and put it at the feet part of the angle recline seat (ie build up the the bottom part of the angle so NO angle) making the seat mostly flat. Am able to sleep without slipping to the bottom of the seat. Works for me great and able to sleep comfortably. Better than nothing. (came up with the idea years ago while flying EVA which used to have the angle recline seats in business). Works best with a bulk head seat!

Check out seatguru.com for more info on the seats on particular planes.

Good luck and have a nice flight!

Thanks mate, good information. Will check out seatguru.com for sure. The seat makes all the difference as l broke my back in 6 places in a parachuting accident years ago. Just want to say a big thankyou to everyone who replied, much better than talking to travel agents.

If You don't get any joy,with china airlines, have a look at Turkish airlines they are partnered with Thai their prices are on a par if not lower than china air, we flew business class with Turkish air from Brisbane to Munich in May, full recliner and silver service as far as istambul, was brilliant ,don't remember much of the flight from turkey to munich was a little bit pissed, well chuffed with the flight and price ,looking forward to the return flight next year,wai.gif

If You don't get any joy,with china airlines, have a look at Turkish airlines they are partnered with Thai their prices are on a par if not lower than china air, we flew business class with Turkish air from Brisbane to Munich in May, full recliner and silver service as far as istambul, was brilliant ,don't remember much of the flight from turkey to munich was a little bit pissed, well chuffed with the flight and price ,looking forward to the return flight next year,wai.gif

Someone else mentioned Turkish Airlines, so will have to take a look. There is such a difference between the airlines, much more than economy class l think. Few years ago got a flight back to London with Royal Jordanian in business, flight was OK, service reasonable, until we got to Amman. When l checked in at Bangkok they gave me the boarding passing for the Amman- London section. Got on the flight in Amman to find out there was someone sat in my seat. l politely asked the guy to move, which he refused; then l asked to see his boarding pass, which again was refused. Told the cabin staff, they spoke to the chap, who did not show his ticket just spoke in Arabic to them. l know a little, and could make out that he worked for the government, so they asked me to sit in economy ! l protested, got fairly upset and they told me l would be removed from the plane and arrested if l did not shut up. So sat there in agony with my back all the way to London ( 8 hours approx ) and complained when l got back to Heathrow. The airline did not offer me the difference in the cost of the tickets until l threaten them with court, and it took 6 months to get anything. Never again ............. could you imagine Singapore Airlines acting this way !

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I dunno China airlines business class (guess they don't have flat seats and how cheap?), but flying to Amsterdam I do recommend Emirates all A380 at 85.000THB, all seats have aisle access (1-2-1 config) just make sure to select A380.

Edited by tartempion

China Airlines is using A340 to AMS with the old business class seats.

I just used them from AMS to BKK and i don't like it.

No flat bed and very difficult to have a sleep in those seats.

But service was good with reasonable good food and for a good price.

Finnair Hel to BKK with old A340 no flat beds (OH-LQA/LQF/LQG), they have no plans to upgrade that aircraft.

Routes with full-flat business class seat, "new" J
As of the dates below, all flights on listed routes will normally be performed by aircraft with full-flat Zodiak UK Vantage seat in business class. Routes not listed will mainly be served by the older A340s or a mix of old&new, supply allowing.

2014-04-01 - NRT, JFK
2014-05-01 - PEK, ICN
2014-06-01 - PVG, KIX, NGO and HAN (seasonal)
2014 winter - HKG (seasonal) *)

*) Original press release stated HKG full-flat from 2014-06-01. Some flights are indeed scheduled with new J, but current info on AY website says HKG full flat only during winter season.

RegNo Full flat since Remark
------ ------------ --------------
OH-LQA Never
OH-LQB 2014-03-27
OH-LQC 2014-05-29
OH-LQD 2014-04-21
OH-LQE 2014-05-16
OH-LQF Never
OH-LQG Never

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

I dunno China airlines business class (guess they don't have flat seats and how cheap?), but flying to Amsterdam I do recommend Emirates all A380 at 85.000THB, all seats have aisle access (1-2-1 config) just make sure to select A380.

That is cheap from Emirates, for some reason just presumed they would be more, thanks for the info.

You could also try Finnair. I got a great price from LHR to BKK via HEL. Not sure about prices the other way though. Their aircraft have all been upgraded.

l did a flight from the UK to Finland, then onwards to Bangkok in economy about 15 years ago, basic aircraft, but great service, was very impressed, will look at them also. Thanks for the reply.

China Airlines is using A340 to AMS with the old business class seats.

I just used them from AMS to BKK and i don't like it.

No flat bed and very difficult to have a sleep in those seats.

But service was good with reasonable good food and for a good price.

Thanks, this is why this forum is so good, you always get great information.

Finnair Hel to BKK with old A340 no flat beds (OH-LQA/LQF/LQG), they have no plans to upgrade that aircraft.

Routes with full-flat business class seat, "new" J

As of the dates below, all flights on listed routes will normally be performed by aircraft with full-flat Zodiak UK Vantage seat in business class. Routes not listed will mainly be served by the older A340s or a mix of old&new, supply allowing.

2014-04-01 - NRT, JFK

2014-05-01 - PEK, ICN

2014-06-01 - PVG, KIX, NGO and HAN (seasonal)

2014 winter - HKG (seasonal) *)

*) Original press release stated HKG full-flat from 2014-06-01. Some flights are indeed scheduled with new J, but current info on AY website says HKG full flat only during winter season.

RegNo Full flat since Remark

------ ------------ --------------

OH-LQA Never

OH-LQB 2014-03-27

OH-LQC 2014-05-29

OH-LQD 2014-04-21

OH-LQE 2014-05-16

OH-LQF Never

OH-LQG Never

Good info thanks. Although l cannot be sure one exists, Thailand could do with an Ebookers.com style website. l understand there are not the same level of flights as Europe and tours are mainly booked locally, but l think there is enough flight traffic. Special offers vary so much depending on which travel agent you use, and often airlines do not put offers on their own websites, so hard to know the best deals.

Happytobethere.....kudos to you....you respond to all who have posted to your OP and you have done so with class. Unusual for TV. Nice to see.Look forward to your future posts. Good luck on finding a flight that fits your requirements....value for money. I think the same way!

• Like 1

Hi Happytobethere,

As someone mentioned Emirates A380 flights here are the flights to look for :

BKK/DXB - Flight EK0385 - 01:35 <-> 04:40

DXB/AMS - Flight EK0147 - 08:25 <-> 13:30

AMS/DXB - Flight EK0148 - 15:30 <-> 23:59

DXB/BKK - Flight EK0384 - 03:05 <-> 12:25

If you do a ghost booking its option 14 of the proposed itineraries.

Price is abt 85.000 Baht.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

Cheapest and quickest will most likely be KLM mate.

Not sure how much KLM are ? l have used them alot in the past, old aircraft, but fantastic service. l find Dutch people really friendly and it never ceases to amaze me how good their English is, certainly better than mine at times ! Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Not sure how much KLM are ? l have used them alot in the past, old aircraft, but fantastic service. l find Dutch people really friendly and it never ceases to amaze me how good their English is, certainly better than mine at times ! Thanks for the reply.

With KLM you can book economy then upgrade your seat....they have a premium seat offering for about £100 each way....the front row at each side has buckets of legroom.

Not biz class but very comfortable and a lot cheaper.

Happytobethere.....kudos to you....you respond to all who have posted to your OP and you have done so with class. Unusual for TV. Nice to see.Look forward to your future posts. Good luck on finding a flight that fits your requirements....value for money. I think the same way!

Thanks mate, l appreciate your comments. l have been on the forum a number of years, but went to the UK a while back, forgot my password for this site and email, so had to start again ! l went on a motor forum in the UK a while back and made a comment on a post; my opinion differed from the OP and he got really upset and called me a troll and threaten me ! No need for this kind of thing, manners cost nothing and the whole ethos of forums is that people offer opinions. There is no wrong and right in some posts but people get very upset, needless really. Anything l post on a forum is a genuine opinion or something to try and help others.

Buying a business class seat does stick in my throat, but l have no choice; so all these comments have been really helpful and l totally agree,value for money all the way. Thanks, take care ........ Mark

Hi Happytobethere,

As someone mentioned Emirates A380 flights here are the flights to look for :

BKK/DXB - Flight EK0385 - 01:35 <-> 04:40

DXB/AMS - Flight EK0147 - 08:25 <-> 13:30

AMS/DXB - Flight EK0148 - 15:30 <-> 23:59

DXB/BKK - Flight EK0384 - 03:05 <-> 12:25

If you do a ghost booking its option 14 of the proposed itineraries.

Price is abt 85.000 Baht.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

Will take a look at Emirates for sure, just have to overlook the fact they are Arsenal's sponsors arrgghhhh !!! Thanks for the reply.

With KLM you can book economy then upgrade your seat....they have a premium seat offering for about £100 each way....the front row at each side has buckets of legroom.

Not biz class but very comfortable and a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the reply mate, unfortunately due to chronic back problem l have to have a seat that goes flat. How far do these seats recline ?

Will take a look at Emirates for sure, just have to overlook the fact they are Arsenal's sponsors arrgghhhh !!! Thanks for the reply.

Well I'm an Arsenal fan w00t.gif

But let's not go there.

Sports should unite people whistling.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

West Ham for my troubles !!!! Have to say, being a real football fan l love to watch Arsenal, they play some lovely football. West Ham stress me out,,,,, but l never had a choice, my dad took me to my first game when l was 18 months,,,, my nan had a season ticket until she was 89 ! Definitely in the blood in our family. To be honest apart from family, West Ham are the only thing l miss about the UK.