Warning: Hong Kong bank (Union Pay) ATM access in Phnom Penh!

hermespan

I speak from experience that the Union Pay ATM system in Cambodia is not widely used, Hong Kong banks are ignorant of the realities there, it is not cost-efficient and fees are not transparent. Surprised me because I have had none of these problems with my VISA accessible Singapore large bank in Cambodia.

Not widely used: There is only one bank that I know of that uses Union Pay in Cambodia. That is CANADIA.

Ignorant: My large bank in Hong Kong could not advise me which bank in Cambodia used Union Pay in its ATMs. I had to do field research to find this out.

Low limits: Canadia has a daily limit using union Pay at its ATMs of USD2000. It also has a per transaction limit of $450. I did not enquire if this is a temporary limit due to civil unrest in Hong Kong, and thus intended to prevent a run on the banks (making it even worse, because in fact I *do* want to remove all my money from Hong Kong - although unrelated to this situation which is likely to pass).

Not transparent: I called my bank in Hong Kong and asked them which ATM cash withdrawal fee I would be charged. Other than the affiliate bank HSBC which charges the least (I mean from my Hong Kong Bank, not at the receiving end), I was told it would be X or Y. They could not tell me which amount.

('Bonus' point) No over counter transactions: In my experience, at least in the distant past, I was able to withdraw larger than ATM amounts over the counter and thus avoid ATM fees at Mekong Bank using my European VISA account.

Isn't there a significant Hong Kong businessman presence in Cambodia, as there is Korean? What is going on? I am losing my confidence in Hong Kong as an independent international banking center, at least vis-a-vis Cambodia. Why the poor integration? I thought that both Cambodia and Hong Kong were free-wheeling 'open for business' economies?

Those who bank in Hong Kong and travel to Cambodia be warned.

Edited by hermespan