David Cameron Wishes Britain Would Abandon The Metric System

Maestro

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every body knows that British don't feel Europeans and that they want to be alone in their island ; but I thank them for giving the world a pleasant language

but your miles, pounds, inches, square miles etc, keep them for you : metric system, kilos etc are understood by every body in the world

Every body knows that British don't feel Europeans and that they want to be alone in their island ; but I thank them for giving the world a pleasant language

but your miles, pounds, inches, square miles etc, keep them for you : metric system, kilos etc are understood by every body in the world

I think the Celts, (Scots, Irish & Welsh) tend me be more pro European than the English (Anglo Saxons). As Thatcher once opined, "all our troubles come from Europe" and someone pointed out that her ancestors also came from there and the Celts have been paying the price ever since.

No doubt his next idea would be to bring back pounds, shillings and pence. Just think what that would boost the economy.

Education would have to change too.

"If a gherkin costs 1s 3d 1/2 and a bag of popcorn costs 11d, and each illegal refugee needs 19 gherkins and 23 bags of popcorn to survive for a week, what is the annual cost to the UK of 200,000 refugees?"

The education system, regarding imperial weights and measures, has never changed.

Haven't you ever wondered why you had to learn your times (multiplication) tables up to 12?

Es off his Trolley...

Next e will be defecting to U'Kipp'er. tongue.png

I can visualise a mile, a yard a foot, an inch, I can do the same with a kilometre, a metre and a millimetre, and I know how many millimetres there are in a Kilometre but hell do I know how many inches there are in a mile, I do not even know how many yards there are in a mile.

There are 1760 yards in a mile and 5280 feet in a mile. There are 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone. There are 8 stone in a hundredweight and 20 hundredweight in a ton. There are 3 feet in a yard and 22 yards in a chain. I wrote all this without looking anything up at all. It's all still stuck in my head from a very long time ago... laugh.png

You must be a lot older than me... tongue.png

• Like 1

Jeez, I hope he doesn't speak Latin, too.

Thank god all those old wingers who think everybody should learn Latin for no other reason than they had too are getting fewer and fewer.

Edited by Basil B

I think the Celts, (Scots, Irish & Welsh) tend me be more pro European than the English (Anglo Saxons).

Don't forget Jutes (Danes), Scandinavians (Vikings) and Normans (more Vikings).

A very mongrel tribe, the British.

I wish David Cameron would abandon Britain. I would love to be able to tell him where to go, but I dont know any Countries that deserve to have him foisted on them.

Australia; he would fit in really well there. Would love to see his suggestions on how to fob off boat-people.

I wish David Cameron would abandon Britain. I would love to be able to tell him where to go, but I dont know any Countries that deserve to have him foisted on them.

Australia; he would fit in really well there. Would love to see his suggestions on how to fob off boat-people.

Fob them off !!

There is only about 23M people in Australia. He would send out an International SOS for at least another 100M

Cameron knows a huge percentage of British voters are over 60. This silly statement might win thousands of votes as it resonates with those who grew up before 1971.

I was old in 1971...I know a hair is about 2 thou, microns I'm not so sure.

Interviewed a guy once for toolmaking, I asked, "Can you work with mike and vernier ?"

"I'll work with anyone who's sociable", he said.

• Like 1

Yes, now if they would just learn to drive on the proper side of the road. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Britain/England was the first country to settle on a side to drive on. It was you weird foreigners who corrupted the whole idea.

Are you sure? The first car was built in Germany and was driven on the right (=right) side of the road. How can England set the standards then?

Cameron knows a huge percentage of British voters are over 60. This silly statement might win thousands of votes as it resonates with those who grew up before 1971.

They are defecting in a reckless fashion to another party that understands pounds shilling and pence.

That would be 1971 then? Sounds about right for the time warp the Kippers are stuck in. Has your wife cleaned behind the fridge today? cheesy.gif

Have you had a look behind your fridge.

They are defecting in a reckless fashion to another party that understands pounds shilling and pence.

That would be 1971 then? Sounds about right for the time warp the Kippers are stuck in. Has your wife cleaned behind the fridge today? cheesy.gif

Have you had a look behind your fridge.

I leave domestic chores for the staff to sort out.

What Cameron should be saying is abolish the imperial system. Way past its sell by date.

Yes, now if they would just learn to drive on the proper side of the road. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Is 'they' the yanks? As we all know the driving on the left side of the road hails from the era of horses and knights etc, way before that part of the world was an itch in anyone's pants. It is likely you lot went against the grain just to stick two fingers up... like inventing a game of 'football' that no-one else plays or likes. laugh.png

Colour Explanation ↓↑ Red drives on right ↑↓ Blue drives on left ? No Information available

800px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_r

"No Information" Gray (yes, g-r-a-y) is a teeny tiny dot that identifies the ThaiVisa.com list of members.

This post is an even teenier tinier dot that identifies people at ThaiVisa.com who are in the right.

No one should turn red over this however.

People with itchy spots under their pants might want to get in their car now to go see a doctor.

Drive carefully.

wink.png

• Like 1

No doubt his next idea would be to bring back pounds, shillings and pence. Just think what that would boost the economy.

Education would have to change too.

"If a gherkin costs 1s 3d 1/2 and a bag of popcorn costs 11d, and each illegal refugee needs 19 gherkins and 23 bags of popcorn to survive for a week, what is the annual cost to the UK of 200,000 refugees?"

Much too much!

He should be happy on this page then. Here we have the rod, pole perch measurements etc.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/length.htm

Thailand is a bit odd as well.

The blue pipes you buy for water are 1/2, 3/4. 1 inch, 2, 3, 4 sizes.

Most nails and screws are sold in imperial sizes, People drive mostly on the left in Thaialand yet Thailand has never been colonised.

Went into my local Home---- store to buy some paint today and was told it comes in 1 litre or 1 gallon (US) tins, ugh! It's amazing that the US can still trade using imperial (US) measurements.

Thailand drives on the left because the principal roads way back when were from the British colony of Malaya that drove on the left. French Vietnam and Laos were not connected by road to Thailand.

A USA gallon is not the same as a GB gallon.

We do.

If you were riding a horse and met strangers going the other way, wouldn't you like to be able to use your sword arm, just-in-case?

If not, you will be following a certain short, French-speaking General's dictate.

Only if you were the aggressor otherwise you would be better of with a shield on your left while driving on the right.

What Cameron should be saying is abolish the imperial system. Way past its sell by date.

Is 'they' the yanks? As we all know the driving on the left side of the road hails from the era of horses and knights etc, way before that part of the world was an itch in anyone's pants. It is likely you lot went against the grain just to stick two fingers up... like inventing a game of 'football' that no-one else plays or likes. laugh.png

And somehow calling it football when it should have been called handball.... even you Yankies should be able to figure that one out!

• Like 1

And somehow calling it football when it should have been called handball.... even you Yankies should be able to figure that one out!

"Handball" already has a rather different meaning. To quote from the Urban Dictionary

"The sublime art of inserting a hand into the anus..."

Full definition at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=handball

And where would we be without the wonderful furlong?

The only measure of distance that can be both too long and too short, depending on whether you have punted the baby's milk money on the horse that was leading going into the final furlong, or the one that was rapidly gaining on the leader.....

"Handball" already has a rather different meaning. To quote from the Urban Dictionary

"The sublime art of inserting a hand into the anus..."

Full definition at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=handball

You learn something new every day on Thaivisa laugh.png