Farmers ask PM Prayuth to escalate unpaid rice sales

webfact

Farmers ask PM to escalate unpaid rice sales

10-1-2014-2-16-35-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Farmers from Nakhon Sawan and Phichit provinces asked Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha to act immediately after their long wait for money from the rice sale under the previous rice pledging scheme have not yet reached them.

The weeping farmers’ call for help was made to the prime minister via the Complaint Filing Centre at the Office of the Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister Office.

They urged that the prime minister escalated the payment to farmers who have sold their rice under the scheme since the 2913/2914 harvest season.

It was over 11 months now that they still did not obtain the money, and they needed cash to buy fertilisers, pay farm rents, and others before starting the new planting, they said.

They also demanded that the agricultural bank lowered lending rates for farmers to ease their troubles for a period.

They said a total of 121 farmers with unpaid cash amounting to 20.6 million baht would wait outside Government House until October 15 to have an assurance from the prime minister before returning homes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/farmers-ask-pm-escalate-unpaid-rice-sales/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-01

Jeez, why haven't this so called government paid these farmer the money they promise them.

Oh Bob! The last so called government promised them the money, this so called government promised to pay it.

But when faced with a THB700+ billion debt, likely to blow out to more than a trillion with interest, we can forgive them for having to scrounge a little can't we?

• Like 1

Thai farmers whining and complaining?? Not possible, is it??

Maybe next time grow something, that the market wants!thumbsup.gif Instead of forever being dependant of shifting governments hand-outs.

As for the ricefarmers, they are not even very good at their trade. The average yield per rai is less than half that of their Vietnamese colleagues!

• Like 1

One would think that Thai PBS could at least get the Thai calendar correct.

"A new day," what a mild statement from a broadcaster that thinks it's over three hundred years in the future.

Edited by BudRight

Jeez, why haven't this so called government paid these farmer the money they promise them.

Well, it would seem they already paid close to 130 billion Baht or so since end of May this year. All because the previous government was somewhat sloppy in its administration.

Anyway I'm surprised some farmers haven't got paid yet. I thought that was finalised by end of June or July. Did this 20 million Baht get lost in the paper works? Someone in Nakorn Sawan and Pichit with sticky fingers? I'm afraid PM Prayut needs a permanent rapid deployment investigation team.

Edited by rubl

Jeez . . . 2913/2914 seasons already finished, and they still haven't got their money! How time flies . . .

It would have flown even more had you read the dates correctly from 2013 to .2014 and 2913 to 2914.

How about 900 years?rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here is a wonderful example of why I give Pigeon awards.

13th of September, 2013 - The cabinet approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the government’s rice pledging scheme and said this will support it to March 2014. The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

25th of Sept, 2013 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has said the government was not considering further loans because it would have enough money from selling rice from its stocks to fund the scheme." The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

8th of October – Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan said they had secured more funding to meet the costs of the 2013 / 2014 scheme costs. The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

23rd of Nov, 2013 - The Commerce Ministry stood firm that it had enough budget to subsidize the rice pledging plan which needs a circulating fund of Bt500 billion". The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

​So the ardent defense of the PTP's hollow promises to pay the rice scheme back by the red shirts dates back some time. Not once have the PTP been questioned by the red apologists for not making the payments. ALOT of blaming of everyone else has been fostered for the PTP not paying them. Especially Suthep who was not even in the picture when the PTP lied that they had the money and didn't!

Now we have a daunting debt left by the previous regime that has mostly been paid off by the Junta and we have the above post questioning why it has not been paid off yet. No defending the Junta for paying the majority of the money back. No admittance that the PTP left the crippling debt. Silence now on the "Suthep's fault" argument. They have nothing left, but to attack the Junta now.

I pity them.

But before I do pity them I will offer you the Pigeon award Mango Bob. You deserve it.

Congratulations.

You just rewrote history and left a bit out. But I understand you need to make it look good for your master.

Jeez, if i was the P.M of this so-called government, I'd introduce a rice pledging scheme that promised the farmers much higher than usual prices for all the rice they could grow. In addition, I'd make sure their children all had access to internet tablets and make easy access to finances for first time tractor buyers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

13th of September, 2013 - The cabinet approved a total budget of 270 billion baht for the government’s rice pledging scheme and said this will support it to March 2014. The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

25th of Sept, 2013 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has said the government was not considering further loans because it would have enough money from selling rice from its stocks to fund the scheme." The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

8th of October – Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan said they had secured more funding to meet the costs of the 2013 / 2014 scheme costs. The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

23rd of Nov, 2013 - The Commerce Ministry stood firm that it had enough budget to subsidize the rice pledging plan which needs a circulating fund of Bt500 billion". The red apologists defended the PTP and said "See, the PTP are keeping there promise and do support the grass roots. I have no need to question why they have not been paid yet because the PTP promised and that is good enough for me" Turns out the PTP lied.

​So the ardent defense of the PTP's hollow promises to pay the rice scheme back by the red shirts dates back some time. Not once have the PTP been questioned by the red apologists for not making the payments. ALOT of blaming of everyone else has been fostered for the PTP not paying them. Especially Suthep who was not even in the picture when the PTP lied that they had the money and didn't!

Now we have a daunting debt left by the previous regime that has mostly been paid off by the Junta and we have the above post questioning why it has not been paid off yet. No defending the Junta for paying the majority of the money back. No admittance that the PTP left the crippling debt. Silence now on the "Suthep's fault" argument. They have nothing left, but to attack the Junta now.

I pity them.

But before I do pity them I will offer you the Pigeon award Mango Bob. You deserve it.

Congratulations.

You just rewrote history and left a bit out. But I understand you need to make it look good for your master.

I suspect that post will win you a couple more awards Bob, Troll of the year and Red &lt;deleted&gt; of the year.

Now please enlighten us all as to which of the above quotes are not true and correct.

Then when you have finished that, with links of course, you could give us a detailed explanation of which bits have been left out, again with links.

I pity them.

Congratulations.

I suspect that post will win you a couple more awards Bob, Troll of the year and Red <deleted> of the year.

Now please enlighten us all as to which of the above quotes are not true and correct.

Then when you have finished that, with links of course, you could give us a detailed explanation of which bits have been left out, again with links.

Come on, don't be too harsh on him. He seems to live in a parallel universe which only crosses ours here on TVF. wink.png

BTW as for djammie's quotes, they are 'literal' enough to easily find the links. At least in this universe.

Jeez, if i was the P.M of this so-called government, I'd introduce a rice pledging scheme that promised the farmers much higher than usual prices for all the rice they could grow. In addition, I'd make sure their children all had access to internet tablets and make easy access to finances for first time tractor buyers.

... and let the next government worry about paying the bills rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Sorry farmers but the economy needs to move forward and you’re a drain on the plan.

Finance Minister Sommai has stated that “the government would urgently disburse its budget and the Board of Investment of Thailand would quickly approve incentives for investors. The budget disbursement and investment incentives would help move the Thai economy forward next year, resulting in a brighter economic picture.”

“The government will also proceed include expediting earlier unspent 2014 budgets of about Bt149 billion expenditure to be used proceeding with the economic stimulus measures of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to create jobs and boost domestic consumption.”

Sorry farmers but the economy needs to move forward and you’re a drain on the plan.

Finance Minister Sommai has stated that “the government would urgently disburse its budget and the Board of Investment of Thailand would quickly approve incentives for investors. The budget disbursement and investment incentives would help move the Thai economy forward next year, resulting in a brighter economic picture.”

“The government will also proceed include expediting earlier unspent 2014 budgets of about Bt149 billion expenditure to be used proceeding with the economic stimulus measures of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to create jobs and boost domestic consumption.”

sorry farmers, it would seem your cases got snowed under, what with us having to pay 130 billion Baht in a hurry because the Yingluck Government guaranteed but somehow forgot to pay. Now please go to the nearest BAAC office, show your papers and they will directly pay you. Of course that's assuming you have proper papers.

Don't worry, we the PM Prayut cabinet will make sure that 0.015% of the budget leftover from other projects in the 2013/2014 National Budget will be reserved for the payment of the guarantees the previous government made outside the National Budget.

It was a problem left to them by the previous government but nonetheless they should make sure the farmers get paid straight away. They can't grow their next crop without money. Whatever the faults with the rice scheme they've produced and delivered the rice and now need paying.

Is just over 20 million baht really that much money?

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

It was a problem left to them by the previous government but nonetheless they should make sure the farmers get paid straight away. They can't grow their next crop without money. Whatever the faults with the rice scheme they've produced and delivered the rice and now need paying.

Is just over 20 million baht really that much money?

As usual details are lacking, but I'm sure PM Prayut can arrange for the Nakorn Sawan and Pichit BAAC branches to pay out immediately and even in cash if required upon being shown the correct papers.

Following we need an ad-hoc investigation team to find out what happened as all farmers were supposed to be paid what with 130 billion Baht having been arranged in June/July. Personally I wonder this is just a case of 'slipped through somehow', 'sticky fingers somewhere' or maybe even 'wrong or no papers because some middlemen were involved'.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

The Farmers who planted crops with money borrowed from governments institutions, got paid as they need to service there loans to pay back the Government.

Farmers who survived without financial support and sold the crops to the Govt scheme are the ones waiting for there money, I know this as we are yet to be paid for our 100 rai crop, the run on effect was cutting farmers rice who could not pay that bill either as they never got paid.

Easy to sit on the side lines and throw rocks, but believe me many of the farmers are really struggling.

• Like 1

The Farmers who planted crops with money borrowed from governments institutions, got paid as they need to service there loans to pay back the Government.

Farmers who survived without financial support and sold the crops to the Govt scheme are the ones waiting for there money, I know this as we are yet to be paid for our 100 rai crop, the run on effect was cutting farmers rice who could not pay that bill either as they never got paid.

Easy to sit on the side lines and throw rocks, but believe me many of the farmers are really struggling.

No offence, just trying to understand as I never really got a clear picture of the paperwork involved.

It would seem that there may have been some miscommunication. I would have thought the BAAC to have paid all who presented government receipts.

When you write 'sold to government scheme' I assume you mean those farmers received government receipts. Upon delivering to 'middlemen'/'warehouses'/'other' they would receive further receipts which put together presented at BAAC would cause or should cause payment ?

With the 'farmers really struggling' do you only mean the ones who are still waiting for payment or should I see it a bit broader than that?

The legacy of the RPPS seems to be with us for a while still unfortunately..