Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

I just get tired of the accusations on both sides, with no proof. If there is proof on this or anything else you mentioned, the Democrates are just a phone call away.

Democrats tried to bring up all of these issues up for debate. Fat chance. You'll get sued for billions if you go on record. "Rumors" are usually started by people who saw what's going on with their eyes but can't speak up.

Proof, and truth, are made of unobtanium with strong kevlar protection. Enjoy the rumors while they last.

Agree with that.

The exposing of scandals always starts with rumor, and then if we are really really lucky and after a period of time which could be very very long maybe evidence is found. Maybe it is not always found. However, if we ask for rumors to be stopped or not mentioned we will effectively be covering scandals up.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few people I have been talking with have mentioned that Elections October 15 and Court ruling on Thaksin October 16 seem odd but the court date was set before the election date. (It makes you wonder why Thaksin wanted the decree as he did for October 15.)

Pushing things back a full month may solve a lot of other problems. I forgot when the rulings for dissolving the TRT or not will happen. Does anyone have that date? I would like to put it in Outlook as it seems the only way to track them now.

I just get tired of the accusations on both sides, with no proof. If there is proof on this or anything else you mentioned, the Democrates are just a phone call away.

Democrats tried to bring up all of these issues up for debate. Fat chance. You'll get sued for billions if you go on record. "Rumors" are usually started by people who saw what's going on with their eyes but can't speak up.

Proof, and truth, are made of unobtanium with strong kevlar protection. Enjoy the rumors while they last.

Agree with that.

The exposing of scandals always starts with rumor, and then if we are really really lucky and after a period of time which could be very very long maybe evidence is found. Maybe it is not always found. However, if we ask for rumors to be stopped or not mentioned we will effectively be covering scandals up.

So, Hammered, basically you have nothing. You said Asian bankers were OPENLY stating names, but then you say you don't want to discuss this in public. When I say the Democrates are only a phone call away, Plus says what good is it to notify the Democrates because they can't bring it up for debate. You both say keep rumors going. Let's stop the philosophical discussions. Either there is proof or there isn't and Hammered, your comments that Asian bankers are openly naming names and your unwillingness to discuss this in public makes it seem like there is proof. If there is, bring it up to whomever you are comfortable with. I was an Asian banker at the time of the devaluation and we all looked for proof of anyone with inside info and couldn't find it. Rumors were all over the place on the usual suspects, but there was no proof anywhere. Moreover, when the Democrates came into power following the devalutation, they looked for proof and couldn't find it. So, when I hear that Asian bankers are openly naming names I am skeptical. Still, I keep an open mind. Keeping rumors going is fine, but let's not make statements as if they are true when we can't back them up. Discussions of what might be the case is different from statements that we know when we don't know. The latter is gossip.

Pushing things back a full month may solve a lot of other problems. I forgot when the rulings for dissolving the TRT or not will happen. Does anyone have that date? I would like to put it in Outlook as it seems the only way to track them now.

The CC gave another 30 days to TRT to prepare its defence.

But after, who knows how long it will take to the court to make its decision...

We are swiming in a pool full of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide... Even with thai standards....

Can you imagine : elections let's say 30 october. TRT win. And then the CC dissolves the TRT !

I mean : i still don't understand how Thailand can organize an election, and meanwhile have a legal action pending that could lead to dissolution of the 2 main parties !

It makes no sense.

Well it is a delaying tactic by the TRT as it was their request for more time to find excuses about the pictures of them paying small parties to run in April, also to try to get the date past elections.

I cant wait to hear what they will have to say, it will be amusing to say the least. :o

Well it is a delaying tactic by the TRT as it was their request for more time to find excuses about the pictures of them paying small parties to run in April, also to try to get the date past elections.

I cant wait to hear what they will have to say, it will be amusing to say the least. :o

I agree with your view of the tactical moves from TRT.

But I was speaking from a constitutional point of view.

Once again, the Court should have put on hold the election process, while reviewing the case against major parties. Both time table are linked.

And anyway, why the CC gave 2 times a "delai de grace" to TRT ?

As I said before, there is no decisive action/decision.

From a practical point of view, i can not imagine the CC ordering the dissolution of TRT, after the TRT electoral victory. The judges will be afraid, just like in 2001 : "we can not go against people's will" (in the case of Thaksin's assets, after he was elected PM).

The courts are passing the buck, no court wants to be the one to make the decision.

I think they are hoping the criminal court will decide for them with the case with the american businessman. Judges are fully aware that whoever votes against Thaksin will not be doing them any favours with certain members of the thai business elite. On the other hand if they vote in favour of MR T they will be making enemies with the Old guard. No one ants to be the one making enemies, which is why the majority of cases get no where.

TRT would like all cases held after the election due to bad publicity, obviously they'd rather none were heard at all.

Expect them to try delaying the criminal case till after the election too. Then with an election win they will lobby in a way similar to the asset concealment case, although Prem won't be helping this time.

If they can't delay the criminal case expect trouble.

I disagree with you to a point womble. I am starting to have a lot more respect for the Thai court. It is becoming increasingly apparent that Thaksin has not done any significant damage to the courts. Add that to the fact the King has put out the word to the courts to sort the mess out. Also add to that the judges have their own opinions about Thaksin but must rule on the letter of the law and not opinion. If the courts view the cases against Thaksin as tied to the crisis expect no delay.

Thaksin has simply dug is own hole, and the courts will deal with that. If you remember Thaksin’s one size fits all insult about educated people, think how the judges feel about that on a personal level. As yourself about the educational attainment of members of royal families Thai and other countries, and you can see just how significantly deep Thaksin has dug his hole with that statement alone.

The fact that he is making open attacks on Prem is utter insanity. Trying to make a personal statement into a political statement seems to be Thaksin’s game at the moment with prem and others. I don’t know how the Thais will read that but if they view attacking Prem as the same as attacking the royal house, then you can imagine the consequences. The attempt to separate the people from the King amounts to suicide.

I think anyone siding with Thaksin at this point will jump in the hole with Thaksin and suffer the same fate. They must consider guilt by association with Thaksin as a reality.

Thaksin has become a bad taste in nearly everyone’s mouth and the time has come to spit and get out the Listerine.

I disagree with you to a point womble. I am starting to have a lot more respect for the Thai court. It is becoming increasingly apparent that Thaksin has not done any significant damage to the courts. Add that to the fact the King has put out the word to the courts to sort the mess out. Also add to that the judges have their own opinions about Thaksin but must rule on the letter of the law and not opinion. If the courts view the cases against Thaksin as tied to the crisis expect no delay.

Thaksin has simply dug is own hole, and the courts will deal with that. If you remember Thaksin’s one size fits all insult about educated people, think how the judges feel about that on a personal level. As yourself about the educational attainment of members of royal families Thai and other countries, and you can see just how significantly deep Thaksin has dug his hole with that statement alone.

The fact that he is making open attacks on Prem is utter insanity. Trying to make a personal statement into a political statement seems to be Thaksin’s game at the moment with prem and others. I don’t know how the Thais will read that but if they view attacking Prem as the same as attacking the royal house, then you can imagine the consequences. The attempt to separate the people from the King amounts to suicide.

I think anyone siding with Thaksin at this point will jump in the hole with Thaksin and suffer the same fate. They must consider guilt by association with Thaksin as a reality.

Thaksin has become a bad taste in nearly everyone’s mouth and the time has come to spit and get out the Listerine.

I hope your right, but at what point does he reach a level where they won't tolerate him any longer, i'm amazed it's gone on so long, and the longer he gets away (or seemingly so) with it, the less I see any actual chance of removing thaksin. There are literally hundreds of ways to remove Thasksin should there be anyone powerful enough to stop him. The fact he isn't being stopped yet shows he still holds some serious power.

The criminal court case with the American and the case relating to vote buying are the last chance. If as I hope and you imply these courts will do the right thing, then problem solved, unless he orders a coup. If these courts fail the country we are in for some very dark times.

I hope you are right, and most of me wants to believe they will find a way to get rid of him due to the fact they have been told. But remember they were not told to get rid of him, they were told to sort out the election troubles. After a new government is sworn in, the courts would have fulfilled what was asked of them. They were never asked to get rid of Thaksin.

So if he's found innocent in these cases and he is elected we are back to square one. I think that if people with enough power reallly want Thaksin gone he would be gone already, if he's survives till after the election then we have truly underestimated his power.

Plus says what good is it to notify the Democrates because they can't bring it up for debate.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Most corruption allegations come from Democrats themselves who, I believe, recieve phone calls on daily basis, just like Sondhi does before his Friday shows. However all investigations and parlament debates have been blocked by the accused - TRT government. Or if comes to the floor, like CTX scandal, the government would deny the obvious, including public opinion.

In some cases, like KU band transmitters, witnesses have been killed, in others TRT started frivolous legal actions against key Democrat investigators. Thaksin has tried all tricks in the books and invented some. There's little reason in denying rumors just because Thaksin controlled government didn't act on them.

What do you expect from SEC investigation of Shin sale when its chairman said it was all legal already? Look what's happening now to Kularb Kaew report. "We need another five years to find the definition of nominee, we had a dictionary somewhere". How can Finance Ministry investigate its boss? There was a reason they locked Jaruwan out of her office for two years - they can't control her.

As for money made during baht devaluation - Democrats brought that up when they were in power, the probe had been started and then TRT won the elections. Nothing ever came out of it. Only last month they brought the charges against former central banker completely exonerationg everyone else involved. Billions of dollars. How are they going to collect it? Do they want to collect it? Seriously?

Thaksin’s actions of late are that of a man in panic, and not the well crafted and hidden ways of years past. It is easy for me to visualize him in a room and he is slamming himself at the door with all his might to get out. Not at all the subtle cool headed wheeling and dealing of the past. Could you imagine this bomb plot a year ago, or even six months ago for that matter? He is trying to set the appearance of being in control but his actions give him away.

He is at the fight or flight level and he has chosen fight. Expect more absurd events hitting the news in days to come. I still expect him to make some sort of major move before September 11, and a coup is not out of the question unless he does not get the military reassignments in time. I would not put it past him to say that his court case is part of the conspiracy to kill him. People in panic don’t take the time for appearance, everything is raw and unpolished. More and more of his options are melting away most recently the court refusing arrest warrants for the PAD leaders.

It is fairly easy to predict that any fighting in the streets will bring the emergency decree. Thaksin will most certainly send his thugs out again to start it. For Thaksin that will be like a shot of adrenaline as he proceeds to crush everything in sight including the PAD as it was more or less part of the judgment, no protests while a state of emergency is in place. And you can bet it will stay in place until the elections are over. How much power the courts will have is unknown when the emergency decree is active, but it is a good bet that Thaksin will say something like “I don’t have time to deal with the court because of the emergency” and successfully delay his day in court. I expect this will be the most likely scenario.

I think this coming weekend may be a good time to visit Pattaya.

Don't forget though, this is not the trial, is is just preliminary hearings, the first of five. The court has until October 16 to decide whether to accept the case for a full scale trial. So he cannot be found guilty between now and oct 15.

What do you think the court is saying by scheduling the deadline on the day after the elcetion?

I'm not sure what way to take it.

I'm not so sure that these preliminary hearings are enough for end game, what we will see though is some ridiculous news stories along the lines of buying football clubs or assasination attempts to keep them off the front pages.

You know the more I think about it, the more I think this election will happen, none of these cases against Thaksin will be concluded before the election, and he knows very well how to keep information away from those in the north and north east.

Edited by womble

Don't forget though, this is not the trial, is is just preliminary hearings, the first of five. The court has until October 16 to decide whether to accept the case for a full scale trial. So he cannot be found guilty between now and oct 15.

What do you think the court is saying by scheduling the deadline on the day after the elcetion?

The court date was set long before the election date. I suspect that is why Thaksin was so insistent on October 15th.

Poor Sudarat, it's a hard life being a Bangkokian and Minister Of Agriculture.

The cartoons lampooned her when she said she couldn't understand what Khun Anand's point was,

of course she can't! She's from Bangkok and as her boss has said Bangkokians are easily fooled, not too bright.

Secondly, Chiang Mai is hosting an international horticultural fair for 3 months from November to January, there was a big budget but it's nearly all gone; for before Sudarat, Newin and Somsak Thepsutin were involved in agriculture.

So how can she raise funds to host this important fair?

Sell tickets in advance at half price! At least it's better than nothing.

The court date was set long before the election date. I suspect that is why Thaksin was so insistent on October 15th.

ah ok, that makes it clearer. I guess they could come to a decision before oct 16 though?

ah ok, that makes it clearer. I guess they could come to a decision before oct 16 though?

Even that this is only a preliminary hearing, in Isaan the sight of Thaksin as a defendant in court sends signals. Remember how fast everyone convicted John Karr and the ongoing fallout from that. Remember appearance is everything in Thailand.

"....it's a hard life being a Bangkokian and Minister Of Agriculture."

So true.

But then, it is a hard life if you need to get your head round anything that you haven't been brought up to understand.

There is no quick way to get insight. The necessary travelling, at the right slow pace, and observation, and listening, and thinking, takes a long time.

It is even harder and takes even longer for us who need to de-habitise ourselves from the western-centric understanding that we got in our younger years that only applies to a very different situation.

Reading can help a bit. I recommend "Money and Power in Provincial Thailand" (edited by Ruth McVey) and Chattip Nartsupha's "The Thai Village Economy in the Past" for starters.

Thailand, and its Parliament and Courts, is the same as anywhere else in that it is trying to run with hardware and software but incomplete orgware. Orgware just can't develop fast enough to match the rate of change nowadays.

But Thailand also tries to develop its orgware behind the scenes, so 'the lower orders' (though they are truly the true primary elite) can be kept in place.

It can't work.

But, fortunately, there is 'rice in the fields and fish in the water'.

Most other countries can't look to their futures and say the same.

Anybody looking into enrolling in Peasantry 101, once this election is out of the way?

More dissension in the TRT ranks... as the numbers of those bailing out grows... :o

Somkid will not stand in election

Deputy Prime Minister rules himself out as potential PM

Caretaker Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak will not put his name on Thai Rak Thai's party list for the next general election in a move which rules himself out as a potential new prime minister. Mr Somkid, who is also deputy prime minister in charge of economic policy, had told party leader and caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra about the decision, party sources said. He cited the need to take a break as the reason not to run in the poll. Mr Thaksin had agreed to the request but asked him to keep himself available to become a minister if the party again wins the election. Mr Somkid has yet to decide on Mr Thaksin's request. Sources said Somkid's main reason for not putting himself forward was that he had no desire to compete for the position with his party leader. Another source said Mr Somkid had assessed politics within the party and was uncertain that he would be picked by Mr Thaksin to be his successor if Thai Rak Thai returns to Government House, and Mr Thaksin chose to step aside as prime minister. That uncertainty had led to Mr Somkid's decision to opt out as a potential candidate. They believed the 53-year-old politician had the expertise in economic affairs needed to run the country, and ability to bargain with all factions inside the party. But sources said Mr Somkid has not gained the trust of Mr Thaksin and his wife, Khunying Potjaman, especially when the party leader was in need of help.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04Sep2006_news01.php

POLITICAL REFORM

'No changes with Thaksin'

Leading figures fear for future unless Thai Rak Thai rids itself of its leader to open the way for real democracy

Political reform cannot take place if Thaksin Shinawatra returns to power, according to leading politicians, academics and social thinkers.

Those advocating that argument yesterday ranged from politicians like Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to assistant rector of Thammasat University Prinya Thewanaruemitkul.

They were speaking at a Thammasat University symposium on political reform.

"There will be no political reform if Thaksin remains prime minister or returns as prime minister," Prinya said.

"Whatever defects the 1997 constitution has, Thaksin has illuminated them all. The [ruling] Thai Rak Thai party can choose to sacrifice either the party itself or Thaksin.

"The party chief is currently the problem, but if [party members] do nothing, the party will become a problem too," he argued.

Siam University Law Faculty dean Chaet Tonavanik agreed. "I rarely speak about Thaksin because my wish is to see a future premier who's different from the person Thaksin personifies."

"If that person is still around, I don't know when political reform can take off," Thammasat University Political Science faculty dean Nagarin Maektrairat said.

Abhisit blamed the current political crisis squarely upon Thaksin, saying future prime ministers must hold democracy in their hearts.

"I was asked if I were to become prime minister, would I conduct a weekly radio programme like Thaksin. My answer is yes. But, after my programme was over, another would follow it where the opposition leader talked to the people.

"I want people to be able to at least listen to two view points," he said.

Abhisit said a future government - no matter how many votes it controlled in Parliament - should allow no-confidence and censure debates.

He promised to immediately proceed with news-media reform and other urgent changes.

"Whatever can be changed must be changed immediately."

Former prime minister Chuan Leekpai said Thaksin was personally responsible for the current crisis.

Chuan contended the country faced an unprecedented political divide as well as a drastic surge of violence - all due to one man's mismanagement.

"I listened to [Thaksin] when he boasted about the achievements of his administration. But, he never mentions the 2,000 lives lost [in the deep south]."

Respected social thinker Prawase Wasi proposed a 10-point guide for future prime ministers. The points ranged from a need for prime ministers to be ethical, promote press freedom and non-violent solutions and more.

He noted that when running for office five years ago Thaksin pledged to adopt all his recommendations.

The promise was not kept (see related story on page A4).

Others at the event organised by the Thammasat University Sanya Thammasak Centre for Democracy admitted that keeping Thaksin out of Government House was only a beginning for much-needed and comprehensive political reform.

Laws should be passed to limit prime ministers to one four-year term. Members of Parliament should serve no more than two terms or eight years, suggested Anek Laothamatas, the former Mahachon party leader and political scientist.

Economist and founder member of the Civil Society Network to Stop the Thaksin System, Assoc Prof Sangsit Piriyarangsan, said a division between money and politics was needed.

"The Thaksin order sees politicians competing in business ventures against the private sector. It causes corruption of great magnitude and total control [over business and politics]. This is a classic first for the world."

Meanwhile, Prinya urged the public to foster a civic and democratic culture to complement future constitutional amendments. "The two must go hand in hand."

Economic and Social Advisory Council president Gothom Arya said it was wrong for society to deny responsibility for the current political crisis. He urged the private sector to employ good governance and become socially-responsible corporations.

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/04...es_30012725.php

Democrats slam govt over military posts

The Democrat Party yesterday protested the government was interfering in military appointments to gain an advantage at election time.

Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon argued the government should wait for a new Election Commission (EC) to be elected so it could approve new military positions.

The armed forces annual list of senior military assignments has been received by the Defence Ministry permanent secretary who has yet to pass it to the minister.

Ong-art alleged the military reshuffle was subject to political interference.

"The party worries the government may move military officers for electoral advantage. It can see military officers that don't allow themselves to become political tools are set to be removed," he claimed.

Ong-art noted Article 215 of the Constitution required caretaker governments seek EC approval before appointing or transferring senior officials. An EC is yet to be elected by the caretaker Senate.

The first Thaksin administration transferred senior military officials ahead of the 2005 election, giving it an election advantage, he asserted.

"The 2005 election showed several senior military officers became tools of the government," Ong-art claimed.

Four senior officers contended planned military rotations were subject to political interference. The four were Lt-General Wisanu Prayoonporn, Rear Admiral Itthichai Sripan, Air Vice Marshal Surakij Chansen and Air Vice Marshal Prasith Thananaken.

They petitioned Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda on Wednesday to intervene and halt what they said was "overt political pressure to rig the military line-up". On Friday, they submitted additional material they claimed proved the alleged interference.

Thai Rak Thai Party spokesman Sita Divari yesterday said the four officers had committed a serious disciplinary offence, "punishable by death".

Sita contended the government never interfered in military reshuffles. He said Defence Minister Thamarak Isarangura asked the officers to stop making the accusations. They did not.

"They violated an order of a superior which caused damage to the country. If war breaks out and military officers lack discipline like this, the country will lose.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/04...cs_30012706.php

Democrats slam govt over military posts

The Democrat Party yesterday protested the government was interfering in military appointments to gain an advantage at election time.

Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon argued the government should wait for a new Election Commission (EC) to be elected so it could approve new military positions.

The armed forces annual list of senior military assignments has been received by the Defence Ministry permanent secretary who has yet to pass it to the minister.

Ong-art alleged the military reshuffle was subject to political interference.

"The party worries the government may move military officers for electoral advantage. It can see military officers that don't allow themselves to become political tools are set to be removed," he claimed.

Ong-art noted Article 215 of the Constitution required caretaker governments seek EC approval before appointing or transferring senior officials. An EC is yet to be elected by the caretaker Senate.

The first Thaksin administration transferred senior military officials ahead of the 2005 election, giving it an election advantage, he asserted.

"The 2005 election showed several senior military officers became tools of the government," Ong-art claimed.

Four senior officers contended planned military rotations were subject to political interference. The four were Lt-General Wisanu Prayoonporn, Rear Admiral Itthichai Sripan, Air Vice Marshal Surakij Chansen and Air Vice Marshal Prasith Thananaken.

They petitioned Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda on Wednesday to intervene and halt what they said was "overt political pressure to rig the military line-up". On Friday, they submitted additional material they claimed proved the alleged interference.

Thai Rak Thai Party spokesman Sita Divari yesterday said the four officers had committed a serious disciplinary offence, "punishable by death".

Sita contended the government never interfered in military reshuffles. He said Defence Minister Thamarak Isarangura asked the officers to stop making the accusations. They did not.

"They violated an order of a superior which caused damage to the country. If war breaks out and military officers lack discipline like this, the country will lose.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/04...cs_30012706.php

I understand there are a number of proposed promotions in the civil service awaiting the new Election Commision's approval. No doubt adding the full military reshuffle list, whichj is always highly politcal whatever some government spin doctor says, to this will be interesting. I wonder if the election commision are empowered to make changes? I also wonder if at some point we will end up with no military reshuffle until a new elected government is seated?

No the Election Commission has no power to make changes to the annual Military re-shuffle. They can, if they wish not give approval, in which case the re-shuffle would have to wait until after the elections, after which the approval of the EC is no longer required. The same would apply to any other Civil Service post provided that Section 75 of the constitution is upheld.

Section 75. The State shall ensure the compliance with the law, protect the rights and liberties of a person, provide efficient administration of justice and serve justice to the people expediently and equally and organise an efficient system of public administration and other State affairs to meet people's demand. The State shall allocate adequate budgets for the independent administration of the Election Commission, the Ombudsmen, the National Human Rights Commission, the Constitutional Court, the Courts of Justice, the Administrative Courts, the National Counter Corruption Commission and the State Audit Commission. readiness

One area which hasn't been mentioned has been the recent removal from office of the General Pallop from the ISOC

Section 215. Ministers vacate office en masse upon: (1) the termination of ministership of the Prime Minister under section 216; (2) the expiration of the term or the dissolution of the House of Representatives; (3) the resignation of the Council of Ministers. The outgoing Council of Ministers shall remain in office for carrying out duties until the newly appointed Council of Ministers takes office but, in the case of the vacation of office under (2), shall not exercise its power to appoint, transfer or dismiss a Government official holding a permanent position or receiving a salary or an official of a State agency or State enterprise, except with the approval of the Election Commission. The provisions of section 118(7) and paragraph two thereof and section 204 shall not apply to the outgoing Council of Ministers which remains in office for carrying out duties under paragraph two. In the case where the ministership of the Prime Minister terminates under section 216 (1), (2), (3), (4), (6) or (8), the procedure under section 202 and section 203 shall apply mutatis mutandis.

Technically the government should have waited to dismiss the General until EC approval was given, unless of course they are still paying him..

"....it's a hard life being a Bangkokian and Minister Of Agriculture."

Before that she was running Ministry of Health while alternative medicine doctor was running Thailand's first Ministry of IT.

Thaksin's way managing.

In the end they are all just helpers.

They help themselves, good ones are allowed to return for a second helping.

Plus says what good is it to notify the Democrates because they can't bring it up for debate.

W

As for money made during baht devaluation - Democrats brought that up when they were in power, the probe had been started and then TRT won the elections. Nothing ever came out of it. Only last month they brought the charges against former central banker completely exonerationg everyone else involved. Billions of dollars. How are they going to collect it? Do they want to collect it? Seriously?

I realize this thread is about the election, so I will wind this down from my side. I brought this up only because someone participating in this thread sounded as if they had stumbled on factual proof that certain people gained on the deval based on inside info. However, as it turns out, it was the same speculation we have heard for years. Please note that as it pertains to the Democrates, they were in power from Dec. 1997 until Nov. 2000, plenty of time to find something if it was there, and they were looking.

On recouping losses from the devaluation, it was a case of inexperienced central bankers against highly experienced hedge fund managers. The central bankers were doing the best they could to save their currency. No central banker should be hung for this. Nobody paid back the US when the country went bankrupt in 1929. It is different if it can be proved that people gained on the devaluation based on inside info, but seeking retribution from people who did their best for their country is wrong.

Please note that as it pertains to the Democrates, they were in power from Dec. 1997 until Nov. 2000, plenty of time to find something if it was there, and they were looking.

Maybe, there were obstacles, however. It's big people and big fish that they were after for. They also didn't purge the Central bank and Finance ministry completely.

That could explain why the commission set up to investigate the economic crisis didn't perform very well.

W

I realize this thread is about the election, so I will wind this down from my side. I brought this up only because someone participating in this thread sounded as if they had stumbled on factual proof that certain people gained on the deval based on inside info. However, as it turns out, it was the same speculation we have heard for years. Please note that as it pertains to the Democrates, they were in power from Dec. 1997 until Nov. 2000, plenty of time to find something if it was there, and they were looking.

On recouping losses from the devaluation, it was a case of inexperienced central bankers against highly experienced hedge fund managers. The central bankers were doing the best they could to save their currency. No central banker should be hung for this. Nobody paid back the US when the country went bankrupt in 1929. It is different if it can be proved that people gained on the devaluation based on inside info, but seeking retribution from people who did their best for their country is wrong.

Who is to say they were looking? Thailand has until this moment in time always been fairly forgiving of governments who have erred. Incoming governments have tended to not waste much time investigating previous ones and even overthrown leaders and failed coup instigators are still happily living in Thailand. maybe that is a good thing. I wouldnt want to comment.

My initial statement that seems to have been misread by you did not claim to have found proof. It was a comment that certain things were openly discussed in certain channels. That as with many things in politics and banking both inside and outside Thailand does not mean it was ever going to go beyond that level. Bankers and financiers often rely on trust that they will stay officially quiet about dealings. However, like all humans they do discuss many issues in other "non-official" settings. Enough said. I hope that clarifies things. That is the end of this subject from me as we are getting well off topic as we await news on the relevant subject.

PRESS ORGANISATIONS

Govt manipulating media, groups say

Trying to set up 'artificial information' network, attacking mainstream outlets

Three professional media organisations yesterday condemned the political manipulation in promoting an "artificial media" to project the image of a divided media - one working for the government and the other against.

"In addition to using the media outlets under its control to attack the mainstream media, the government is trying to establish a network of other media for information," Banyat Tassaneeyavej, chairwoman of the Thai Press Council, said.

Banyat said the present situation was similar to that preceding the 1992 Black May incident in which the mainstream media circulated factual information despite the government cover-up responsible for the street protests and triggering the bloodshed.

The statement was read out by Banyat and endorsed by the Thai Press Council, the Thai Journalists Association and the Thai Broadcasting Journalists Association.

The media groups cautioned the public to be on the lookout for reports churned out by self-serving politicians and spread via selected newspapers, websites and short message services.

The groups also pledged to uphold their professional duty of unbiased reporting.

Broadcasting association chairman Somchai Sawaengkarn expressed concern that society might be heading for confrontation following the emergence of newspapers, cable television stations, satellite television programmes airing questionable views.

"One talk-show host has resumed a programme seen as a mouthpiece to incite hatred similar to what he had done in relation to the 1976 October bloodshed," Somchai said.

He urged his fellow media professionals to refrain from fanning the flames of hatred and sensationalising the news.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/05...al_30012813.php

I know the 60-20-20 is real in Thailand but I never suspect people on the clock making the 20-20 part. :D:o