Claustrophobia sufferer that cannot get a flight before Non B expires

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice on my situation.

My current non B visa expires on this coming Monday 6th October. I cannot extend it any more as I have already done the 3 month and 7 day 1,900bht extensions. The company I was working for have closed their doors here in Thailand due to a foreign buyout & restructure and I am taking advantage of the hole they have left in our market sector by starting a Thai limited company and picking up on a much smaller scale from where they have left off. So I've been waiting weeks now for the accountant/lawyer (they were recommended by my old company) to prepare company documents for me to take to the Thai Consulate in Brisbane, Australia. But they have been very slow and I only got confirmation today they will be ready for me to pick up on Saturday. I know I should've booked earlier but I've also been waiting on an answer from the Australian Embassy on a visa application for my gf to come with me. A fair degree of procrastination involved too...

So tonight I try to book a flight with Thai Airways for Monday night.....and there are none available now until next Friday the 10th. So I try other airlines and all I can really get is a flight with Malaysian Airlines on Tuesday that involves a 9hr stopover in KL. I hate flying due to a problem with claustrophobia that is definitely getting worse as I get older, I have to drug myself to the eyeballs (benzodiazepines) to even step foot in a plane and stopovers just exacerbate the problem by lengthening the time I have to stay dosed up. It's great when the drugs take effect though, I'm asleep before the plane even takes off.......

Anyway, if I take the flight to Australia next Friday, should I do the hassle of a border run on Monday to come back in on a 30 day visa exempt entry (so that I'm legal for the four days till Friday) or should I just overstay the four days and pay a 2,000bht fine at Suvarnabhumi? Will this overstay be picked up by the Thai Consulate in Brisbane and impact in an adverse way on my Non B application? Do they even have a linked computer network in Immigration?

I know I could go to a more local consulate such as KL or Singapore, but if I have to drug up to fly I try and make it all worthwhile by going back to Australia and seeing my kids and parents etc. Plus I want a multi-entry Non B and I've heard that some of these local embassies/consulates are sometimes not obliging.

Any advice? Overstay or visa run?

I am far from being an expert but considering the "new" rules about overstay I wouldn't even think about enquiring.

I would get out of the country then come back by bus or train ( Penang Malaysia or Aranyapathet Cambodia, the latter being the shortest, back the same day )

Or, instead of flying Thai, go to Kl by train/bus and fly with Malaisia Airlines on Wednesday from there

It could be a nice trip ( kind of long, I reckon but if you are not alone and have never been there, well...)

But that's me.

Edited by alyx
  • Like 2

By the way you are going to Brisbane?

Why don't you fly Qantas: they have flights available on Monday

8,000 baht more than Thai but if you have to go back and forth, for an extra couple of days...

Edited by alyx

Thanks Alyx, all good suggestions. Yes, I am going to Brisbane, I didn't even think to check our national carrier, how unpatriotic of me! I'll do that now.

Unfortunately, I can only do the train or bus thing if I'm drugged up similar to when I'm flying because of the claustrophobia. Basically, if I'm inside anything such as a plane, train or bus and I know I can't control my situation by opening a door and getting out anytime I want I will go nuts....

i thought of Qantas because I have redeemed miles to go to Sydney with my usual carrier.....first timer though, in Australia, hope the weather will be fine in February

So, try and book Qantas: It should be ok as I had made a dummy reservation before replying

Have a safe trip, an enjoyable stay with your partner over there, and a successful path when you are back "in business" here

Thanks Alyx, all good suggestions. Yes, I am going to Brisbane, I didn't even think to check our national carrier, how unpatriotic of me! I'll do that now.Unfortunately, I can only do the train or bus thing if I'm drugged up similar to when I'm flying because of the claustrophobia. Basically, if I'm inside anything such as a plane, train or bus and I know I can't control my situation by opening a door and getting out anytime I want I will go nuts....

If not, you can always get to Aranyapathet by car ( rental or driver )

I am far from being an expert but considering the "new" rules about overstay I wouldn't even think about enquiring.

I would get out of the country then come back by bus or train ( Penang Malaysia or Aranyapathet Cambodia, the latter being the shortest, back the same day )

Or, instead of flying Thai, go to Kl by train/bus and fly with Malaisia Airlines on Wednesday from there

It could be a nice trip ( kind of long, I reckon but if you are not alone and have never been there, well...)

But that's me.

What new rules on overstay ? In pretty sure that has yet to come in to law.

If you have a severe case of Claustrophobia, I would recommend that you see a Psychiatrist in you nearest Hospital, explain how severe your anxiety is and ask for a supply of Xanax (Alprazolam) .5mg or Rivotril (Clonazepam) 2mg to treat it prior to you boarding the plane. It will relax you and provide you with a nice nap without any medicine taste in your mouth after you wake up. I take them to treat my Insomnia. Great stuff really. They are both a controlled substance and are only available in Hospital Pharmacies. Chok Dee! thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys for the great responses, when I get back to Australia I'm going to try some of those medications.

In the meantime, I'm going to re-post this post to try and get some advice from members on my visa situation, I hope that's acceptable to the forum.

Thanks guys for the great responses, when I get back to Australia I'm going to try some of those medications. In the meantime, I'm going to re-post this post to try and get some advice from members on my visa situation, I hope that's acceptable to the forum.

No need to post another topic.

You have the choice of a 4 day overstay or doing a border run to get a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the great responses, when I get back to Australia I'm going to try some of those medications. In the meantime, I'm going to re-post this post to try and get some advice from members on my visa situation, I hope that's acceptable to the forum.

You have the choice of a 4 day overstay or doing a border run to get a visa exempt entry.

But that's me.

What new rules on overstay ? In pretty sure that has yet to come in to law.

Not according to my Embassy's website

But I shall rephrase it for you: overstay in unlawful

Up to each of us to think it is ok to break or not a rule, whatever the penalty is, or rather break the rules whenever it is convenient and cheap

And if I were to start something, anywhere, I would try to refrain from infringing the Law beforehand, wouldn't I?

Whether it is ok or not

Edited by alyx

Thanks ubonjoe. I have tried to reply to your post but for some reason I can't get a cursor to show in the reply box.

Back to my question and your response, if I do the overstay will this be noticed when I go to get my new Non B in Brisbane? Will it have any impact on their decision?

I think the overstay option is probably easier, cheaper and most importantly, safer than the border run option.

Thanks for your reply ubonjoe. Just on that, what actually happens if you get caught with an overstay before getting to the airport? Do they lock you up......being claustrophobic that would be the death of me, literally!

Can the normal police catch you (I've never been detained) or is it only immigration police that can catch you for this?

It can be the police or an immigration officer that can catch for an overstay and they would lock you up. It is not likely to happen. They might let you go if you showed them you have a ticket out of the country.

Wasa, may I please stress one more time that your should try a beta blocker for that fear? In your OP it sounds like you are really drugging yourself which takes the fun out of the flight and you might even oversleep waiting to change planes in an airport. It's so nice to be alert and enjoy the flight.

I AM the guy who's an accomplished pianist. I played all of my life but stopped playing for people due to a heavy business schedule for about 10 years. I kept playing at home. I was asked to play for an orchestra as the piano out in front of the orchestra and shock - I froze up and could hardly play. Stage fright.

I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed Inderal which is generic for propranolol - a beta blocker.

The next time I sat down in front of 2,000 people I was amazed how calm I was and how the drug had no noticeable effect other than:

"Beta blockers. These medications work by blocking the stimulating effects of adrenaline on your body, such as increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure, pounding heart, and shaking voice and limbs that are caused by anxiety. Short-term use of beta blockers can be effective in decreasing symptoms when taken before an anticipated event, for example, before a performance for people who have severe stage fright." Mayo Clinic
Now, after using it for about ten times I was enjoying myself and no longer needed the drug.
Good luck.

Wasa Scoot fly to the Gold Coast from Singapore leaving md evening giving you plenty of time to catch a flight to Singapore, for little over USD320 return amazing price but this late there is availability but more expensive. Granted it depends if you are going to the Sunny coast or North etc but at that price it is well worth looking at - http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/

Ubonjoe, I got news today that the Australian Embassy have granted my Thai gf a single entry 3 month tourist visa into Australia. So I am thinking now I might delay my Australian trip until such time I will have more time to spend there or I have to go for work etc so I can show her around. Rather than just a quick turnaround for my Non B which would seem a waste of her single entry.

So, for obtaining my new Non B, which of the more local embassies would you recommend to go to for the least hassles, Singapore, KL, HK, etc?

Wasa Scoot fly to the Gold Coast from Singapore leaving md evening giving you plenty of time to catch a flight to Singapore, for little over USD320 return amazing price but this late there is availability but more expensive. Granted it depends if you are going to the Sunny coast or North etc but at that price it is well worth looking at - http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/

Proudly suggested by a POM who used to live there.

Ubonjoe, I got news today that the Australian Embassy have granted my Thai gf a single entry 3 month tourist visa into Australia. So I am thinking now I might delay my Australian trip until such time I will have more time to spend there or I have to go for work etc so I can show her around. Rather than just a quick turnaround for my Non B which would seem a waste of her single entry. So, for obtaining my new Non B, which of the more local embassies would you recommend to go to for the least hassles, Singapore, KL, HK, etc?

If you have work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry you can get it in Laos or Penang without a problem. I do not recommend KL for any visa.

With just company documents Singapore is the only location you can get one.

OP, the beta blocker may work for you but if it doesn't, I suggest that you try Ativan (Lorazepam) rather than Xanax or Rivotril. It is easier on the kidneys and, for me at least, has less severe side-effects. Xanax and Rivotril are both long-acting (8 hour +) benzodiazapenes with significant side-effects. Another drug, Ambien, is short-acting (4 hours) so you can control its effect on you better, taking repeated doses as needed. I have sometimes combined Ambien, with its strong four-hour-long punch, together with Ativan with its milder but longer (6 hours+) effect to good advantage and avoided the strain on my kidneys that comes from the other two drugs. Of course, the effect of drugs is a subjective experience. What works well for me may not for you. Wishing you good trips.