Colorful jellyfish found drifting along shallow waters in Chanthaburi

webfact

Colorful jellyfish found drifting along shallow waters in Chanthaburi

CHANTHABURI, 3 October 2014 (NNT) - Enthusiastic tourists and locals alike have flocked to Laem Sing District, Chanthaburi Province, to see shoals of colorful jellyfish that have been floating in the bay.

Thousands of colorful jellyfish have been spotted at Ao Mu, a small bay within Laem Sing District. A large number of them have been seen feeding on scraps of food that have been drifting into the bay’s waters.

Meanwhile, Tambon Bangkachai Administration Organization (TAO) within Laem Sing District has arranged boat rides along the piers for tourists to get a close-up view of the jellyfish. According to the TAO, this year sees the highest number of jellyfish coming into the bay.

Members of the public, however, have been warned to refrain from touching these colorful jellyfish to avoid disturbing them in their natural environment. Their stings can also be especially painful for those who have allergic reactions to jellyfish.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-03 footer_n.gif

Translucent clear jellyfish usually means no sting

Colour usually means pain. And I reckon the more colour the more pain. Have vinegar or another alkaline or better substance ready if you are touched by the tentacles.

We used to get clear and colourful one back home on the East Coast of Oz. I was stung numerous times as a kid and teenager and the stings including those from the "sailing" bluebottles are painful and can produce nasty welts but unless you are allergic to them I think the Box jellyfish is the only seriously dangerous one.

Below is a newslink on information on jellyfish found around Phuket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NgRBd_p0Ec

• Like 1

Colour usually means pain. And I reckon the more colour the more pain. Have vinegar or another alkaline or better substance ready if you are touched by the tentacles.

We used to get clear and colourful one back home on the East Coast of Oz. I was stung numerous times as a kid and teenager and the stings including those from the "sailing" bluebottles are painful and can produce nasty welts but unless you are allergic to them I think the Box jellyfish is the only seriously dangerous one.

But of course we don't always just happen to be carrying a bottle of vinegar when we take a casual stroll to the beach.So far better is to just " pee on it " ( problem solved )

F.J x

• Like 1

Well, there's a saying that beauty can be a bane. Colorful animals of any kind are often attractive in the eyes of many predators and as a result, they need to develop some form of defense mechanism.

Box jellyfish have actually been called the world's most venomous creature. No wonder why several people die each year from their stings. Thanks for the video link btw. Lots of useful information on how to treat jellyfish stings.

• Like 1