What can you do with a password locked IPad 2 ?

BKKdreaming

I bought an old iPad 2 at the church donation sale a couple weeks ago, finally got a charger and now I see it needs a password , which I never got !

looking on google there does not seem to be an "official" way to unlock it.....

So what can I do with it except use it for parts as an organ donor and use it screen or camera on a broken one ?

Is there a way to put any other operating system (Linux ? ) on it to make it a book reader or use the camera ?

and if I have to use it for parts how much does it cost to switch screens from mine to a broken screen ipad I can buy on ebay ?

thanks for your ideas

if the device just have a pin lock ... you can just bypass it by restoring and delete all content .. via DFU Mode.

but if the device is locked via icloud (asking for activation password) then you can not do anything about it .. unless you have the password, or proof ownership on the apple hotline.

in case of icloud lock, there is alos no un-official way to go, since the device can not be set in DFU mode as long the activation screen does show.

the only way to do it would be to access the storage directly .. which would require to de-assempble the device completly and force the DFU mode, but then again a new registration would fail and lead to re-lock since the device is registered to another account already.

this would only work if never used with icloud at all in the future.

Edited by nullx8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine owners will always be able to gain access to their accounts.

Yes to your accounts.....

but if they did not reset their old iPad before donating it there is no way to find the old owner and get the unlock password

A family tried to get an iPad unlocked in the UK when the Mom died and none of the family knew what it was, Apple refused to unlock it.

I assume it has a Hard drive inside and if you took it apart you could get to the hard drive , that does not help you with iCloud (which I did not want to get into anyway)

A family tried to get an iPad unlocked in the UK when the Mom died and none of the family knew what it was, Apple refused to unlock it.

I assume it has a Hard drive inside and if you took it apart you could get to the hard drive , that does not help you with iCloud (which I did not want to get into anyway)

iOS devices such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch use a NAND Flash device (Solid State memory), there is no Hard Drive.

Wondering why you haven't followed the helpful hints from the second post.

Houston Chronicle: How to Wipe an iPad to Factory Settings Without a Passcode

• 5 years later...
On 10/18/2014 at 7:59 AM, BKKdreaming said:

Perhaps Mom did not want that others have access. Otherwise she might have told them the password. Apple did the correct thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2014 at 7:59 AM, BKKdreaming said:

Yes to your accounts.....

but if they did not reset their old iPad before donating it there is no way to find the old owner and get the unlock password

Apple devices all have full disk encryption enabled. That means if you get access to the physical memory, it's all gibberish. It's encrypted. Haha. You need the password to decrypt.

Furthermore, anything related to passwords and Face ID unlock and so on is stored in a secure enclave hardware chip.

You can't hack it unless you are the FBI. FBI couldn't unlock it either but they paid some hacking company $1M for a hardware device that can hack the iPhone. Last I heard that no longer works, but where there is a will (and $1M), there is a way.