Marriage visa

Browncow3

I am a South African woman in Thailand. I was meant to come here for the short-term but met a Thai man, fell in love and we plan to marry someday. This means I want to start making a life here. But in order to do that I need to work. I don't have a degree so don't qualify for a non-b visa. I am currently on an Ed visa. I know there are various illegal options for people like me but I want to do this legally and properly. If I do get a marriage visa I can apply for a work permit - but I still can't get that without a non-b visa.

I am going to do a degree - but that will take a minimum of 4 years.

What do I do right now to work and live here legally?

Can someone please advise me?

You don't need a degree for getting a non-B visa, only certain professions like teaching.

In order to work you need to find a job and apply for a work permit.

You can get a work permit either a non-B visa or a non-O visa based on marriage.

Easiest way for you to stay here is to get married.

You can then get one year extension of stay from immigrations.

Unlike men that have to show 400.000 in bank or 40.000 baht income ladies do not have to show any financial prof.

Welcome to Thailand and ThaiVisa forum.

Unlike men that have to show 400.000 in bank or 40.000 baht income ladies do not have to show any financial prof.

I hadn't heard that this did not apply to women before, I'm intrigued.. So a foreign woman can marry a Thai man and get a visa based on marriage without the money in Thai bank or 40k income? Are there any other specifics that are needed?

• Like 1

I hadn't heard that this did not apply to women before, I'm intrigued.. So a foreign woman can marry a Thai man and get a visa based on marriage without the money in Thai bank or 40k income? Are there any other specifics that are needed?

From Police order 327/2557

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a nonimmigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.

(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married,

must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness

or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of

no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

In case the father or mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.

For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case by case basis.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the only thing I am qualified to do here is teach English to foreign learners. Sorry - should have mentioned that.

Plenty of westerners here with work permits doing exacty that. You just need to find a school that will employ you and arrange a WP.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the only thing I am qualified to do here is teach English to foreign learners. Sorry - should have mentioned that.

Plenty of westerners here with work permits doing exacty that. You just need to find a school that will employ you and arrange a WP.

If she plans to work for a government school or a university, she will be asked for a degree.

She could sign up at a local Thai university and start working towards a degree.

• Like 1

and citizenship too. Don't stress you don't even need to work either.

• 3 weeks later...

Browncow3 -- you said you're doing to do a degree -- so do it! You can either get a marriage visa -- the financial requirements aren't as high as for foreign men with Thai women or you could get an Education visa if you're attending university in Thailand. Problem solved. Some Thai universities offer degree programs in the English language.

Edited by NancyL