I want the truth mind you....................

thequietman

People seem to associate Chiang Mai and "Guesthouse" together... I know there are a lot, but what about a nice medium priced Hotel?

The Anodard in Rajamankha Rd is only 600 Bt for a Fan room, that's all you need for the weather this time of year until , say mid Feb.

(Air Cond rooms extra). The swimming pool is large and clean. The staff are friendly. It's 5 levels and has a lift. Plenty of off-street parking.

I was staying at the Anodard in the mid-80's and have noticed a lot of the same room cleaning ladies still working there recently.

The Hotel is in an excellent position, only a short walk down to the Moon Muang Rd 'strip'.

• Like 1

The thing with Agoda over TripAdvisor is that to write a review on Agoda you need to have booked or stayed using Agoda which weeds out the fake reviews somewhat.

The only bad place we have stayed was a cheaper "backpacker " type hotel/guest-house in Chiang Mai which got rave reviews on Agoda but in reality was no cheaper than a decent hotel by time you paid for all the extras and inaccurate meal and drink bills etc. Just run by scammers with smiles. But then again we didn't fit into the customer profile of being a young first time backpacker couple wanting to see the elephant camp at inflated prices .

http://www.baanorapin.com/. Nice place.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I love the Baan Orapin - it is an amazing retreat - and always suggest it to friends - it is in the THB 2,000 price range - but the rooms are quaint yet modern - it has a pool and a great private courtyard - the breakfast is wonderful also - a great getaway for a romantic holiday - or even with kids - if you must.

I have stayed at Baan Kaew a few times - it is around THB 800 - with wifi and a nice courtyard - but the rooms are basic and no pool - but it is in a great, quiet location - not really Lanna style but a good option for those on a budget.

Look no further than BMP residence.

http://www.bmpresidence.com/

Why no prices on their website??? Not good.

Agreed.

Not many quality posts here. I've "liked" the ones i thought were value.

Summary so far,(my criteria is 1000 max)

Kamala's Guesthouse near Thaphae Gate

Lai Thai

Hollanda Montri guesthouse

Chiang Mai Gate Hotel

Anodard in Rajamankha Rd

To those wanting to up your post count, ie, have you tried Agoda, Google, Trip Advisor, Loney planet, asking your mother, brother, ect. Yes. but i think the OP was asking for your opinion. (speaking for the OP here, if i may)

To those not clear on the "cheaper is better" concept. Yes, i can find a nice place for 40 buck and higher. Hell, I can stay at the crown plaza hotel near disneyland for that. Right next door to the poor schlep that paid $120 for the same room. I can afford the $120, i'd just rather not pay it if i dont have to. hence, asking for the intel on how!blink.png

My contribution:

Airport Residence- 600/nite for aircon. Not recommended unless you're doing a visa run. The primary redeeming quality was its proximity to Immigration office (its walkable)

Top North Guest house - 600/night for aircon.- Not recommended. A dump but a clean dump. Definitely not recommended if you have kids. Positive is that its close to burger king w00t.gif

Top North Hotel - 1000/night for aircon - Better than the guest house by a mile. but still pricey for what you get. Pool, ok for kids, close to everything including burger king. Yep you do notice a trend here.

Yes, I'm 0 for 3 in Chiang Mai. Probably why I dont like going there. But with the help of a few previous posters, I have one or 2 more candidates to try out in the next few weeks.

One last review. I ate at O'mallys (sp?) near the bazzaar I was dying for a pint of Guinness. While there, i tried the corned beef dinner. One bite almost made me loose my lunch. It had a sulfurous taste to it.bah.gif i left the rest untouched. I paid, and left. Next time, I'll eat else where and just have the pint!

Just my 2 cents.

I've been to Chiang Mai six times and all but one I've stayed at SKHouse 11 (2) the other time was new year and they were full. They have three locations in Chiang Mai but this is the only one I've stayed at. I know you have your own transport but they also have a booth - office at the railway station with free transfer if you already have a booking.

Price range last time I was there (18 months ago) 400Bt fan room 800Bt air. The rooms I've had have always been spacious and clean. There is a small pool, food available, free WiFi. Its in a Narrow Soi, but a wider Soi in which you can park within 50 Metres. Staff are friendly and helpful, this would always be my first choice if visiting Chiang Mai. Email [email protected]. Phone (053)418838

• Like 1

If there are hidden gems in CM they have to stay hidden !!!.....nice places are to precious jut to give away....there are to easily spoiled...Once they are spoiled it's forever.....I like to keep my hidden gems very personal..all over Asia..

Look up Rainforest boutique hotel just south side of City 10 min taxi to night markets, nice hotel great reception people and Luckies taxi service ( gives free bus ride to night markets for guests and great advice about the markets) right out side in the the Soi and away from main rd, two pools and good restaurant, price included a good breakfast I stayed last year and will stay again this year

Edited by pitchag
  • Like 1

Look up Rainforest boutique hotel just south side of City 10 min taxi to night markets, nice hotel great reception people and Luckies taxi service ( gives free bus ride to night markets for guests and great advice about the markets) right out side in the the Soi and away from main rd, two pools and good restaurant, price included a good breakfast I stayed last year and will stay again this year

The place looks pretty nice, for ~1000/nite. Thanks for sharing! :)