NLA deputy speaker says body can decide on impeachments by itself

Lite Beer

NLA deputy speaker says body can decide on impeachments by itself

BANGKOK, 4 October 2014 (NNT) – National Legislative Assembly deputy speaker Surachai Liangbunloetchai on Friday expressed confidence that the lawmaking body can use its own discretion to decide whether it has the authority to impeach political office holders, without a need to send the matter to the Constitutional Court.

Mr. Surachai said he expects the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) to send the case file for the impeachment of former Senate Speaker Nikhom Waiyaratphanit and former Parliament speaker Somsak Kiatsuranon back to the NLA next week.

Mr. Surachai asserted that the NLA will deliberate the details of the impeachment initiative with utmost care. He also believes his agency has the authority to make its own decision on the impeachments, without needing to send the matter to the Constitutional Court for further consideration. He added there are NLA mechanisms to accommodate the handling of this affair. However, should some of its members make objections to the NLA's authority to rule on the affair, the agency would have to determine on a case-by-case basis whether or not to forward the matter to the Constitutional Court.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-10-04

And so the rot begins..................

And so the meaningless delays come to a halt............................

I believe those "meaningless delays" are part of the checks and balances. Can you imagine the furore if a representative of the PTP government had come up with this statement?

• Like 1

Wll, why not have the NLA decide on impreachments by itself?

THERE IS NO CONSTITUTION!!! The NLA can, with no doubt permission from the NCPO, do whatever if wants.

Why is there even a Constitutional Court? Is it just out of respect by the Prayuth Junta that 8 of its 9 judges (one retired) were appointed by the 2006 Junta? Kind of like a "Honor Among Thieves?" You can be sure if the CC judges were appointed by the Thaksin/Yingluck regimes,, they wouldn't last one day after the coup and forget about severance pay!

There is the Interim Constitution.

Anyway I hope k. Nikom will step up his threat to sue the NLA if they went ahead with moves to have him impeached.

• Like 1

I believe those "meaningless delays" are part of the checks and balances. Can you imagine the furore if a representative of the PTP government had come up with this statement?

Checks and balances - ah yes, those pesky things successive Thaksin governments have tried to remove, circumvent or negate.

If the NLA decide to impeach someone, who will actually investigate, discuss, debate and decide on that impeachment?

Checks and balances - ah yes, those pesky things successive Thaksin governments have tried to remove, circumvent or negate.

If the NLA decide to impeach someone, who will actually investigate, discuss, debate and decide on that impeachment?

Difference is that those successive Thaksin governments have to content with those pesky courts which have never been apolitical while the NLA can do and interpret the law in any way they desire. Oh, forgot those Thaksin governments have to also content with the Dems, the PDRC, PAD and whatever colours remain. Now all these entities are silence.

• Like 1

The rot you habitually write? What a farce you are.

If you're going to insult me at least come up with a convincing argument, otherwise you just give off the impression of a naughty child who's said a rude word.

• Like 2

It's the newest version of "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss." The average Thai doesn't care who steers the ship, just like in the west. They all want to know "what's in it for me?"

Good, honest self-interest. Power brokers be cursed, no one cares who has the power. We are all just cheerleaders to a game we cannot play, have no voice in whatsoever, and frankly never should. Thais have a sovereign right to screw up their country as they see fit.

We are just window dressing, like the thousands of teachers here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Difference is that those successive Thaksin governments have to content with those pesky courts which have never been apolitical while the NLA can do and interpret the law in any way they desire. Oh, forgot those Thaksin governments have to also content with the Dems, the PDRC, PAD and whatever colours remain. Now all these entities are silence.

Exactly, color code politics continues to show its ugly face at each opportunity. The anti-Thaksin rhetoric is completely devout of any sense of justice if those they shout the loudest against him sit here and watch this dictatorial behavior passing their scrutiny as if it is business as usual. There is not one shred of evidence to convince objective political observers that the country is on a better path. To bring down a democratically elected government under the scream that it was elected through corruption, that it has to go because it is unjust, that it needs to be removed because their abuse of power is expected to be followed for calls for the new government to follow all the principles that the one they removed allegedly violated. But now, all those cries for democracy and justice are replaced with calls for patience and let's wait and see attitude. How naive are people to believe that a government that is allowed to rule with no checks and balances is going to give that power now that they have it. Let's see the numerous events in human history to back such examples? No, power breeds more power, and soon enough it becomes righteous and any reaction against to be stopped.

Oh, we can sit here with our internet pens and write what we want, and some say that's freedom of speech. It is not when a censor that has no need to explain why can just delete any post at their will, in order to keep in line with the NCPO. Besides, does it really matter whatever we write and say? No it doesn't, there are not that many fantasy stories in which the power of speech overcomes tyranny - and that's because fantasy requires some sense of connection with reality to grab the imagination of people.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exactly, color code politics continues to show its ugly face at each opportunity. The anti-Thaksin rhetoric is completely devout of any sense of justice if those they shout the loudest against him sit here and watch this dictatorial behavior passing their scrutiny as if it is business as usual. There is not one shred of evidence to convince objective political observers that the country is on a better path. To bring down a democratically elected government under the scream that it was elected through corruption, that it has to go because it is unjust, that it needs to be removed because their abuse of power is expected to be followed for calls for the new government to follow all the principles that the one they removed allegedly violated. But now, all those cries for democracy and justice are replaced with calls for patience and let's wait and see attitude. How naive are people to believe that a government that is allowed to rule with no checks and balances is going to give that power now that they have it. Let's see the numerous events in human history to back such examples? No, power breeds more power, and soon enough it becomes righteous and any reaction against to be stopped.

Oh, we can sit here with our internet pens and write what we want, and some say that's freedom of speech. It is not when a censor that has no need to explain why can just delete any post at their will, in order to keep in line with the NCPO. Besides, does it really matter whatever we write and say? No it doesn't, there are not that many fantasy stories in which the power of speech overcomes tyranny - and that's because fantasy requires some sense of connection with reality to grab the imagination of people.

They insist that democracy merely delivered bad politicians to Parliment but never realized they in the NLA are now politicians too and little better than their elected counterparts.

If reform is to be meaningful, individual citizens must be respected which as you said,some sense of connection and freedom of opinions must be allowed and taken in accounts.

How do you "impeach" someone who has already been removed from office? Isn't impeachment a mechanism used to remove someone from elected office? If the accused are charged with criminal offenses and are no longer holders of public offices, then shouldn't the charges be brought in criminal court? I'm a little confused here.

How do you "impeach" someone who has already been removed from office? Isn't impeachment a mechanism used to remove someone from elected office? If the accused are charged with criminal offenses and are no longer holders of public offices, then shouldn't the charges be brought in criminal court? I'm a little confused

The NACC moves in mysterious ways. Not doubt they are going beyond removal and really aimed to ban them for 5 years if the NLA impeach. That will weaken the PT party as their incumbents will not be around at the next election.

What I am confused is that the constitution section 291 does provide Parliment to propose changes to the constitution, followed by a full house consensus before getting royal endorsement. It is a process and what the house speakers have done was within their legal rights. As I said, the NACC moves in mysterious ways.

And those successive Thaksin governments could have avoided those pesky courts by not breaking those pesky laws. That's the problem with wannabee dictators, they always want to lay the law down for everybody else but are above it themselves. Guess trying to grant yourself an amnesty for a conviction, jumping bail, and dismissing 15 serious criminal charges outstanding in the courts was a step too far, even for Thailand.

Yes, I sure the Thaksin governments would have liked to abolish all forms of opposition as you allude to. Just more pesky interruptions to their agenda.

PTP/UDD/Red Shits are also very quiet at the moment - good to see they toe the line when the grand master speaks.

How do you "impeach" someone who has already been removed from office? Isn't impeachment a mechanism used to remove someone from elected office? If the accused are charged with criminal offenses and are no longer holders of public offices, then shouldn't the charges be brought in criminal court? I'm a little confused

The NACC moves in mysterious ways. Not doubt they are going beyond removal and really aimed to ban them for 5 years if the NLA impeach. That will weaken the PT party as their incumbents will not be around at the next election.

What I am confused is that the constitution section 291 does provide Parliment to propose changes to the constitution, followed by a full house consensus before getting royal endorsement. It is a process and what the house speakers have done was within their legal rights. As I said, the NACC moves in mysterious ways.

Don't worry about them Eric. If they get 5 year bans I'm sure they will find good jobs and won't starve.

When their bans are expired, they may be lucky and find another Thaksin puppet government in power. Then they can be appointed ministers immediately just like the TRT mob.

Everything to do with government, the justice system and law enforcement works mysteriously here. One thing about the speakers, did they always follow ethical correct parliamentary procedures in all debates, voting, etc? Oh, I forgot, PTP said it was ethical to lie.

For a moment albeit a very short moment, I thought you were complaining about the type of democracy we had before. The type of democracy which allows an opposition to function that is.

How do you "impeach" someone who has already been removed from office? Isn't impeachment a mechanism used to remove someone from elected office? If the accused are charged with criminal offenses and are no longer holders of public offices, then shouldn't the charges be brought in criminal court? I'm a little confused here

I don't think your answers help our vision chaser much.

In Thailand impeachment means more than just removal from office. Depending on the case, issues, evidence, etc., what may follow is a criminal case. That's the 'normal' order we see in Thailand.

Edited by rubl