Monk slams Bt40 billion in assistance to rice farmers

Lite Beer

Gee he hates the poor doesn't he!

Maybe you should read the OP before you comment.

Somehow, wb, I don't think it would have made any difference, as he still would have made an equally anal comment.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem exists on many levels, from the future positioning of Thailand in ASEAN and the world; to the necessary elements of a healthy long-term economy; to the role and appropriate model (small independents, specialization, consolidation...) of agriculture; to use of land, water, crop choices and technology; to education and dissemination of information so farmers can consistently make good choices; etc. The discussions always occur piecemeal, so there are always important missing elements. The largest missing element is a clearly articulated, comprehensive national strategy, set of objectives and realistic timeframes delineating the intended future of the country and within that, of Thai agriculture. This needs to come from the top *before* the money begins to flow in earnest. The current payments have been deemed necessary as a stopgap measure, but the government needs to recognize that intimate government involvement in the economy leads to dependencies and misallocation of assets, as has happened already with rice. Encourage, inform, enable - good. Fund, direct, control - not good. 'Intent" is irrelevant in that it does not mitigate negative outcomes. /end-rant

• Like 1

PM Gen Prayut stresses the Government is ready to help rice farmers

BANGKOK, 5 October 2014 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has stressed the Government is ready and willing to help rice farmers, while giving his projection that this year the nation would be able to export no less than 11 million tons of rice.

The comment was made on Friday during his weekly TV broadcasting program ‘Return the Happiness to the People’ during which he acknowledged that the majority of rice farmers are facing poverty.

Nonetheless, the Prime Minister pointed out the Government has issued several aiding measures such as the scheme to help reduce the production cost, the fund of 1,000 baht per rai for the in-season rice farming, and the education program that will help farmers maximize their crops’ quality.

He also said that the 18 million tons of rice under the Government’s care is being inspected and the process is likely to be finished within this month. The Premier stated talks with foreign nations have been held regarding rice deals, adding that the Kingdom is likely to export at least 11 million tons of rice this year.

He however emphasized that the price scheme would be driven by the Global market mechanism.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-05 footer_n.gif

Rice farmers should not be allowed to dictate terms to the state. They have already had a fair shake, while other farm producers have received nothing, or very little. The monk is correct. Farmers are in essence small business people and they must accept the tough times when they happen - just as they willingly accept the benefits of the good times. But food security is vital, so the projects in the National Farmers Council bill make perfect sense - there is a lot of empowerment in them.

I have been saying the same things for months now, unfortunately, governments in Thailand

prefer to feed the restless alligator (farmers) than to fight it or tame it by throwing good money

after bad, and thus prolonging the real problems to another day, another government.....

I suppose you'd like the government to destroy the farming industry, to replace it with what ? Social security payments ? Don't make me laugh

Surely the emphasis of assistance to farmers should be to help genuinely poor or disadvantaged farmers as opposed to passing bucket loads of money over to the wealthy landowners on whom the farmers depend for their income.

No money or advantages should be given to rich property owners who do nothing but collect rents from thousands of farmers.

• Like 1

Horse hockey!

Monks are not supposed to be involved in politics, but this one ignores that rule altogether.

His proposals,um not really his proposals but others proposals, are good long term solutions but...utterly lack the short-term benefits farmers need. In short, he doesn't care about the farmers -- he cares about staying in the spotlight, and continuously making the previous government's programs seem unhealthy (even though 85% of all PT programs are still in action).

I have socks that are more Buddhist than this monk. Anyone remember when he complained to Suthep, glorious Herr Suthep, that he wasn't being given enough attention during the mockumentary they called the 9-5 protests?

And then the originator of the yellow shirts was given a much more harsh sentence than Thaksin, evil demon that he was. So, the monk supports a group that was created by a now-convicted criminal and claims the moral high ground?

If I puked it would be rose petals.

wai2.gif

Thank you Fang, you make a valid point regarding the Monk. Indeed he should not be involved in politics.

But................................................either should wanted criminals who have a string of charges waiting for them if they ever pluck up the courage to enter Thailand.

I hope I never hear you defend that slimy slug Thaksin on this forum, otherwise you will be labeled a hypocrite.

Speaking of hypocrites....The yellow monk has to be number one. My wife, a devout buddhist, refuses to speak his name. If he's a holy man I'm Father Xmas.

• Like 1

They railroaded Yingluck out of town for populist programs. Now they are doing the same thing. Hypocritical Thais.

It was predicted that after she was removed the real populism would raise its head

bs...........Who predicted that ? Or was it all in your mind, on a distant planet ? whistling.gif

They railroaded Yingluck out of town for populist programs. Now they are doing the same thing. Hypocritical Thais.

It was predicted that after she was removed the real populism would raise its head

bs...........Who predicted that ? Or was it all in your mind, on a distant planet ? whistling.gif

Look around the world where a similar event happened, there are several to compare, and you will know that it's a predictable fact.

Keep in mind that this thug in orange robes used to be an MP

Oh really ? Where and when ? I am genuinely interested to know more and I am not going to Google it because I am sure you can give me all the facts.

The mad monk seems to have a point here. It is also rather unfair to farmers of other crops, such as rubber.

Thailand is already the worlds leading rubber producer and exporter which would lead me to assume that the rubber farmers are doing alright already... unless there's some seriously rich land-owners skimming the top of that bucket too. But I rest assured that since the predominance of rubber production is in the deep (yellow and democrat) south of Thailand, it is all being handled very appropriately, totally legally and unquestionably free of corruption unlike those grubby red buggers up in Isaan.

Thailand has lost the vaunted worlds leading rice producer and exporter status so that does indeed need fixing.

• Like 1

The junta made 'populism' a dirty word. There is nothing wrong with poverty alleviation programs and call a 'spade' a 'spade'. What I find amazing is that there is still the talk of transparency, etc. Yet, these programs come out of thin air with absolutely no debate on the impact on the budget or on the manner in which the programs are structured, financed, and who will reap the benefits. I don't agree with the monk's criticism of all populists policies per se. But who else is engaged in a debate over the junta policies? If they dare.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 2

Horse hockey!

Monks are not supposed to be involved in politics, but this one ignores that rule altogether.

His proposals,um not really his proposals but others proposals, are good long term solutions but...utterly lack the short-term benefits farmers need. In short, he doesn't care about the farmers -- he cares about staying in the spotlight, and continuously making the previous government's programs seem unhealthy (even though 85% of all PT programs are still in action).

I have socks that are more Buddhist than this monk. Anyone remember when he complained to Suthep, glorious Herr Suthep, that he wasn't being given enough attention during the mockumentary they called the 9-5 protests?

And then the originator of the yellow shirts was given a much more harsh sentence than Thaksin, evil demon that he was. So, the monk supports a group that was created by a now-convicted criminal and claims the moral high ground?

wai2.gif

Thank you Fang, you make a valid point regarding the Monk. Indeed he should not be involved in politics.

But................................................either should wanted criminals who have a string of charges waiting for them if they ever pluck up the courage to enter Thailand.

I hope I never hear you defend that slimy slug Thaksin on this forum, otherwise you will be labeled a hypocrite.

I'm sure he don't give a Rat Poop what label you use....I know I don't.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This guy is no monk, he only plays one on TV.

Wow! Thanks for all your deep insights on the rules of monk hood and Buddhism.

Edited by MILT
  • Like 1

Horse hockey!

wai2.gif

where do you get your information, can you please provide a link to back up your ridiculous claim that 85% of PT programs are still in action, I cannot find one PT policy program that is still running..! certainly not the rice pledging scheme or the one tablet one child scheme.. nor the car first time buyers scheme, so please enlighten us.. Plonker..facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Horse hockey!

wai2.gif

where do you get your information, can you please provide a link to back up your ridiculous claim that 85% of PT programs are still in action, I cannot find one PT policy program that is still running..! certainly not the rice pledging scheme or the one tablet one child scheme.. nor the car first time buyers scheme, so please enlighten us.. Plonker..facepalm.gif

At last we agree on something, Bakseeda. I knew if I waited long enough this day would come.

I believe a lot of the anti-junta / pro PTP comments on TVF contain figures and stats that are "fabricated". Not saying the posters are liars, they just handle the truth carelessly. whistling.gif

I think everyone, excluding myself of course, is missing the point which is that farmers, and only farmers, provide food and no politicians/monks/naysayers can deny that so : The primary function of an Agriculture Ministry is to help the farmers produce needed edibles more effectively and competitively. The most efficient way to do this, considering the rice/sugar glut is to rotate crops and the easiest to grow, requiring 1/10 the water that rice does is POTATOES !

They are less fattening/more nutritional/require little tending and after 2 or 3 seasons actually, ( fact), improve the soil. They have multiple menu uses, baked/boiled/fried/browned, can be stored indefinitely and bugs don't like them. Rice is ... well, just rice !

I think everyone, excluding myself of course, is missing the point which is that farmers, and only farmers, provide food and no politicians/monks/naysayers can deny that so : The primary function of an Agriculture Ministry is to help the farmers produce needed edibles more effectively and competitively. The most efficient way to do this, considering the rice/sugar glut is to rotate crops and the easiest to grow, requiring 1/10 the water that rice does is POTATOES !

They are less fattening/more nutritional/require little tending and after 2 or 3 seasons actually, ( fact), improve the soil. They have multiple menu uses, baked/boiled/fried/browned, can be stored indefinitely and bugs don't like them. Rice is ... well, just rice !

Begone Satan

We all know, potatoes make people fat, but white and sticky rice is just the healthiest stuff ever.

Not too many potato based dishes up here in my neck of the woods. Don't think the locals will be substituting spuds for rice anytime soon. How much rice do you see in an Irish stew? Appreciate your input though.

There is a big difference between a legitimate subsidy and a populist scheme aimed at winning favor/votes.

It backfired on the Shin regime because they made all those crazy promises - rice payments, pads, cars etc, but failed to deliver on many fronts.

The junta will be darned if they do and darned if they don't. They cannot just ignore the rice farmers, they have to assist them in some way. And for those of you who say the rice growers should just grow another crop, well you are displaying your ignorance of farming practices. It is not that easy.

You and I disagree on most things but you may be on to something here.It's just a theory at this stage and I may be wildly off course.But does not the Junta have the opportunity and motivation to take steps which not only discourage the worst aspects of Thaksinism but also incorporate the positive aspects, specifically its inclusive approach?This will upset the Thaksinite old guard because it will contaminate their election winning brand.Equally the unelected elites assume that the Junta will preserve and enhance their power, wealth and privilege.But why exactly should Prayuth dance to their tune? Why shouldn't he insist the 0.1% should more responsible towards the less well off majority - eg make a greater tax contribution.What exactly does he have to lose and what a chance to gain a proud place in Thai history.Maybe I'm nuts but I do know that sometimes leaders surprise themselves and posterity.Look at Truman and look at Attlee.Prayuth's performanmce on the asset declaration fiasco was exemplary.He seems like a decent if eccentric man.I fear the worst but perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

There is a big difference between a legitimate subsidy and a populist scheme aimed at winning favor/votes.

It backfired on the Shin regime because they made all those crazy promises - rice payments, pads, cars etc, but failed to deliver on many fronts.

The junta will be darned if they do and darned if they don't. They cannot just ignore the rice farmers, they have to assist them in some way. And for those of you who say the rice growers should just grow another crop, well you are displaying your ignorance of farming practices. It is not that easy.

Yes with the glut of rice atm, the farmers need income support until the rice market 'normalises' after the last Governments corrupt and disastrous scheme, and to stimulate the economic in a sensible way helps the whole country.

This guy is no monk, he only plays one on TV.

Your right about "this guy is no monk". He needs to keep his mouth shut and stay in the temple. Or better yet the

head monk in Thailand should throw him out of the temple.

• Like 1

Yes with the glut of rice atm, the farmers need income support until the rice market 'normalises' after the last Governments corrupt and disastrous scheme, and to stimulate the economic in a sensible way helps the whole country.

A genuine strict quota system is the only way they will ever bring any predictability and security to the market.

Quotas.with money for not growing is the future.