cost,documents,process info needed for long stay cambodian visa

what is the cost of a visa to cambodia considering i may want to stay long term ( over 1 year ) i am from uk, i am 47 year old man , i am married to thai, i have chld with thai wife. i understand it is now very very difficult to remain in thailand because of new visa rules, cambodia is an option maybe ?

can anyone give me some info which may help me . thanks

First of all, need to come in on a regular ("E") visa and not a tourist visa. Cost of that recently increased to $35 US.

Note that the "evisa" is a tourist visa so you will need to either apply for visa on arrival or get visa at a Cambodian embassy.

Once in Cambodia on a regular visa, a one year extension currently costs a little under $300 and any number of places will do it for you including more travel agents. Nothing required except your passport, a form and a picture. You don't even have to go to immigration, handler will do that for you.

As they recently raised visa fees I won't be surprised in they also raise the 1 year extension cost but AFAIK have not done so yet.

HOWEVER - it is not difficult to remain long term in Thailand if you are married to a Thai, and the new visa rules have no impact on people in that situation. What they are clamping down on is abuse of tourist visas/visa-exempt entries (meant for tourists) to live in Thailand. So I would hardly recommend moving to Cambodia for reasons of visa in your case. Need also to consider your child's education. In Thailand = free, in Cambodia unless you wanted him/her educated solely in the Khmer language, very expensive.

• Like 1

May I add, have you talked to your Thai wife about this. Most Thais don't want to go to Cambodia. Also, Cambodia is a completely different scene, some 20-30 years behind Thailand in terms of infrastructure. The capital only introduced meter taxis and a two-route bus system this year. Rents are expensive compared to Pattaya, for example, and some goods are more expensive than even in Bangkok because they have to come through Thailand.

Sheryl's agent requires more paperwork than mine. I pay $285 for a one year visa. I hand over my passport and my money and I'm done.

It is true that Thais have a bad mental image of Cambodia before they come; it's worth noting that my Thai partner loved living here after she had arrived though.

Visas for all nationalities except a hardcore of about 8 (mainly African states) countries are easy in Cambodia today. It's reasonably well understood that this may and probably will change in the future - how far into the future is anyone's guess.

Sheryl says school in thailand free ? Thats first time i have heard that. I hear thailand is expensive for kids schoold

There is no tuition for grades 1 through 12, this has been the case for many years now. College however is not free.

The government has recently expanded the free tuition to encompass kindergarten and 2 years of pre-school but I am not sure of the status of actual implementation on that.

Private schools of course are costly. Not only the tuition, but reportedly a lot of under the table charges to get into the most prestigious ones.

if u want her to grow up an be thai they are fine. (does she speak thai?)

otherwise u need a private bi lingual school

phuket tuition starts around 5-8,000 baht/month for that age

My daughter went to thai school ONLY till she was 5, than she went to the Montessori school, than transferred to a full international school at 8 years old