Good garage to skim discs

i claudius

IMO Thai garages are WAY too keen to skim discs....the main reason for skimming discs is to pay for the machine that skims discs. If you have brake problems then find out the real cause, don't just start doing this 'n that in the hope that something might work. Most times if your "discs need skimming" the real solution is to replace the discs.

you might also check what the manufactures recommendations ae for skimming - if they allow it at all, and check they haven't been skimmed before. Amongst other things, heat dissipation relies on the amount of metal on the disc, so reoving mass from the disc will to a greater or lesser extent affect the performance and strength of the disc and leave them open to more distortion.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Every car will have a minimum thickness that those rotors must be. No good brake center will be without that information. You can look it up online yourself. I have a set of micrometers and measure them myself. One of the mics has pointed ends that fit into the grooves to tell how thin it will have to get to be smooth.

Sometimes it's best to turn them to minimum thickness even if that means leaving a couple of small grooves. I'd rather that than to turn them too thin.

A shade tree mechanic will turn them until they are smooth and call it good. If I couldn't find better than that I'd buy new rotors. If I bought new rotors I'd be aware that they have an anti-rust preservative on them and I'd clean that off with a spray can of brake cleaner and a clean rag. Otherwise I'd contaminate my pads and I might wind up with permanently squeaky brakes.

I thin it's not expensive to skim the discs. I had mine done a couple of times on my honda. By the third time (about 200K kms) I had to replace the discs but they are not expensive - about 3000 baht for the pair or thereabouts. If you don't know the history of the car, maybe best to replace the discs. I used t just let the honda dealer do it.

I have had the car from new ,its my Mechanic that said that they will need skimming ,in about 5000 km whe i get new brake shoes , thanks for the information.

I've heard about skimming the discs when new pads go on. I'm pretty sure honda did not always skim my discs at every pad change. I think they only did it when they became grooved. The last time they did mine (without telling me), they vibrated like heck - I had to turn around and go back and get new discs put in. I have a high speed brake vibration in my suzuki now (only 25K kms), and need to go and get that checked too. Seems a but premature for a brake issue!

They are not my first new set the car has done 118k kilometres there is a definate groove the reason he said not to do them now. Was to wait till I needed brake shoes

Edited by i claudius

OP, your mechanic has given you sound advice regarding skimming when the brakes

next need to be changed.

Your terminology though is slightly wrong, regarding the brakes, brake shoes are what are

fitted to the Brake drum assembly used on some cars only at the rear wheels.

Brake pads are fitted to cars that have discs, some cars have front and rear disc brakes,

some have only front discs and rear drums.

• Like 1

They are not my first new set the car has done 118k kilometres there is a definate groove the reason he said not to do them now. Was to wait till I needed brake shoes

You should learn to drive with your foot of the brake pedal. My truck has now 120.000 Km, and when I had a maintenance last week I checked the brake pads, which were still about 50%.

You should learn to drive with your foot of the brake pedal. My truck has now 120.000 Km, and when I had a maintenance last week I checked the brake pads, which were still about 50%.

Bear in mind though Anthony, that different manufacturers and different model vehicles ware

the front brakes at different rates.

In addition, auto transmission vehicles ware out brakes at a faster rate than manual transmission.

Bear in mind though Anthony, that different manufacturers and different model vehicles ware

the front brakes at different rates.

In addition, auto transmission vehicles ware out brakes at a faster rate than manual transmission.

I have a cheap Nissan automatic smile.png

OP, your mechanic has given you sound advice regarding skimming when the brakes

next need to be changed.

Your terminology though is slightly wrong, regarding the brakes, brake shoes are what are

fitted to the Brake drum assembly used on some cars only at the rear wheels.

Brake pads are fitted to cars that have discs, some cars have front and rear disc brakes,

some have only front discs and rear drums.

Sorry just my slopiness in writing .sad.png

• 1 month later...

Tyre Plus.

Today i went to tyre plus in Pattaya ,coming up sukhumvit from Pattaya Nua its just before Mini Siam which is on the opposite side of the carrigeway ,really good service ,took about an hour , staff were really good ,air conditioned room with free coffee and tv ,cost 800 baht . i would recomend them to anyone. on the minus side i poped into the place in the car park of big c south pattay just off sukhumvit ,a guy quoted 2000 baht and it would take at least 4 hours ,

thanks for the heads up for tyre plus 1st class.

• Like 2

you can only skim discs a certain amount or number of times and it is NOT the best approach....... you are removing metal from the discs and potentially encouraging fracturing.

BTW - coffee and air con signifies they can make coffee and charge high enough prices to afford air-conditioning - it is no indication of the quality of workmanship on your car....

Edited by wilcopops

you can only skim discs a certain amount or number of times and it is NOT the best approach....... you are removing metal from the discs and potentially encouraging fracturing.

BTW - coffee and air con signifies they can make coffee and charge high enough prices to afford air-conditioning - it is no indication of the quality of workmanship on your car....

Thats mean Pops, dont You like to care for Your Customers.coffee1.gif .

Having been involved with cars and car building most of my adult life I do realize this this was the first skim and the guy even mentioned that it was not a good idea to skim to many times,I repeat very good service and they knew what they were doingB)B)

• Like 1

Having been involved with cars and car building most of my adult life I do realize this this was the first skim and the guy even mentioned that it was not a good idea to skim to many times,I repeat very good service and they knew what they were doingB)cool.png

I wouldn'tt assume that other posters have less experience or knowledge........it usually proves incorrect.

This is an English Forum. Rotors are on Helicopters. Disc Brakes are not Fan Like things, just a ring of Steel or Carbon E

nglish?w

ENGLISH? - are you talking nationality or language?

Either way you'd better learn some more before making a rash and ambiguous comment like that.?

I learned in England that a Car had a Rotor Arm in the Distributor and Disc Brakes that were lightly skimmed if possible. Never heard of Rotor Brakes though.

Because *you* never heard of , *I* was wrong?

Generically, 'rotor' refers to the moving/rotating part of a mechanic assembly, such as in your example of a distributor, or the rotor component of an alternator or generator.

BTW, it is "brake rotor”, not ”rotor brakes”

• Like 1