How to eat more healthy with only a microwave and kettle?

JThai

So I'm spending a few months in BKK. I like my acomodations but they only come with a fridge, kettle and a microwave. I stay in a lot and work online and when it's time to eat I find myself spending way too much with foodpanda and foodbyphone eating stuff thats probably not too good for me. I'm probably spending more on unhealthy food deliveries than some people here live on.

Any ideas what I can buy and prepare with only a fridge, microwave and kettle that will save my life? I kind of don't like veggies but I'm willing to eat more salads and such if they can be prepared eaisly. I hear that eating salad here might not be safe though as you can't trust to wash it with this water?

Also, I love chicken and prefer chicken breast also I do love white rice.

Any tips to save my life, body and budget ? The thing is I plan to stay in this location when I return too, I like the location and internet and everything.

I'm early 30's btw.

Thanks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello,

With the microwave, you can cook everything. Even the chicken, pasta, rice, cauliflower flowers. All you need is a special "microwave" but tall container to avoid spills, put spices that give taste, and in 20 minutes, max, everything is ready.

Nah, it is said anything to the salad, and the water is not bad, it is the pipes are made of lead and not PVC.

Combo steamer is a good idea. But you can cook almost everything in a micro. Eggs-there are special gadgets for boiling/poaching them, vegetables, fish, puddings. Go to

Kinokuniya in Paragon/Emporium. Buy a micro cook book, You could, consider also one of those gas rings

that work on canisters like camping gaz! And there are mini cookers, about size of micro, which have an oven and

grill c.3000B

Edited by laolover88

You can buy prepared salads at any supermarket and many have salad bars that you can mix yourself if you want. No need to wash anything as ready to eat. But water in Bangkok is as clean as anywhere and drinkable. Heat up some hot dogs or ham for meat content if you want.

All you need is hot water for Mama type noodle dishes.

Frozen entree type dishes are available everywhere - even 7-11.

Forget the gas bottle. Consider buying one of the small induction hotplates which will need a special pan. Good for frying and all types of cooking that the microwave is not so good at. They start round 500baht.

• Like 1

As our friend wants to eat healthy, it's better a microwave oven. He will make his own kitchen.

It is true that frozen food is good, but they are too sweet or too salty, or too fat, and it's not sure that's the real meat and real fish.

There are fire induction very handy, that sells with a special stove. I paid mine at 890 baht.

To recognize a utensil for induction, there must be a magnet sticks to the back (those used to hang our reminder on the fridge apply)

Don't use a gas bottle indoors or even on the balcony of an apartment. Buy a rice cooker with a steamer tray and you'll have all the appliances you need for healthy cooking. That's all I used for the first six months we lived here. Eventually I got bored and decided to add a sukiyaki pot -- kind of an electric fry pan, only deeper. It has a temperature control, so I have more flexibility with the cooking temps -- something more than the scalding hot and barely warm temps of a rice cooker.

Incidentally, you can use a rice cooker to boil water to make pasta. One of my favorite easy dishes is to make brown rice and steam a meaty fish like salmon or tuna over the top, along with veggies, in the steamer tray.

Edited by NancyL

Go to the nearest supermarket in your free time and stock up on food. Put it into the fridge where it's going to last long and that way you always have access to some healthy food of your choice which you can also heat in the microwave oven.

Edited by A1Str8

Got it guys. Ok lets say I'll get a steam and an induction top or even a rice cooker, lets change the focus on what I should actually prepare thats easy, and healthy, that I can maybe store in the fridge for later. I suppose anything I cook at home might actually be better than the crap I've been buying even if not totally healhty. Note that I don't really have a freezer, I have a little freeze thing up there but I'm not so sure if thats true freezer temps and its not big at all might just be for ice cubes.

I guess with all that stuff I can also ask a g/f to prepare me something.

• Like 1

Let the 7/11 worry about freezing - just buy as needed. And yes the g/f can get you food any time. It is probably available on the street outside your living area at various times - if not all the time. It may not be totally healthy but Thai are generally not that fat so guess it is likely better than many of our western fast foods (and it sure tastes good). But you can buy Hydroponic salads that are sealed and will keep for about a week in refrigerator many places now.

Forget the gas bottle. Consider buying one of the small induction hotplates which will need a special pan. Good for frying and all types of cooking that the microwave is not so good at. They start round 500baht.

If the electric wiring is good.

Induction heater is around 800 watt....they are not the things that glow red hot.

Baked spuds. Baked Beans. Porridge Oats. Poached eggs. Some street foods such as noodle soups can be reheated. Then supplement diet with fruit, yoghurt, nuts, chocolate. All stuff available at Tesco Lotus. Buy a roster too.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Add to my list make own sandwiches. Soups from supermarket. Some decent cheese,cold meats at supermarkets. I bought an induction heater but it ended up in corner of room. Bit bothersome for me. Cooking preparations also need prep space and utensils, good sink. So micro much better IMHO.

Induction heater is around 800 watt....they are not the things that glow red hot.

Additional 800 Watt can make a difference with the wires just twisted together every couple of meters.....

You have houses that are built western standard or even with way too strong lines. And you have others that are just unbelievable bad....where technicians wonder why it works at all.

Add to my list make own sandwiches. Soups from supermarket. Some decent cheese,cold meats at supermarkets. I bought an induction heater but it ended up in corner of room. Bit bothersome for me. Cooking preparations also need prep space and utensils, good sink. So micro much better IMHO.

bread and sausage.....now there is good bread available at many places but most sausage contains msg now.

Some bread with sausage and cheese is nice.....

a NANCYL

Finalement, je me suis ennuyé et a décidé d'ajouter un pot de sukiyaki - sorte de poêle à frire électrique, ne plus profonde. Il dispose d'un contrôle de la température,

what is this this electric skillet ????? thank you

if you have any sort of previous skill in the kitchen with stove top cooking then anything can be adapted to the microwave as I found out when living in hotel rooms in Vietnam...just google the microwave preparation for your favorite stove top prepared dish...

a colleague from work showed me how to prepare a mean curry in the microwave that I didn't think possible without a wok...amongst other surprises...

Additional 800 Watt can make a difference with the wires just twisted together every couple of meters.....

You have houses that are built western standard or even with way too strong lines. And you have others that are just unbelievable bad....where technicians wonder why it works at all.

In that case better forget the microwave. These start at round 1200 watts.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Keep it coming, I'm forming some ideas.

This place is pretty modern I'm pretty sure it can handle induction. I went to terminal 21 on the way home from Thai class but the market there was actually pretty disapointing. They had some premade meals but they wern't really very cold and wernt even in a fridge just sitting there. I don't feel good about that. Also no real premade salads that I was hoping for. Lotus delivers I might try that soon. I picked up some frozen thai meals at 7/11. I figure they are safe in the fridge for a day or two. At least this should save me a little cash and the portion size is low. Damn, I just realized I don't have any untizels haha.

I like to get some bbq chicken on the skewers and add to my salads.

As said get a rice cooker/steamer.

I'd get a one burner hotplate and wok. You can cook anything with that.

If you don't trust the water just boil enough for salad washing.

And, as a colon cancer survivor, learn to like the damn veggies!!

• Like 1