Liquid Gold in Oxford Street

The photograph is not as clear as I had hoped, but the signs over the stall are saying:

"Fresh Coconut Water £4".

£4 is about 204 THB.

Tesco Lotus in Lamai is selling similar coconuts for 24THB.

By coincidence, on my flight from Heathrow last Tuesday, I was siting next to a young Thai woman. She had just spent the last 12 months working her socks off doing her Masters Degree at Imperial College, London. On one of her rare days out, she had been walking down Oxford Street with her Thai friends and they had spotted the same stall. One of her friends claimed that the coconuts were from her family farm back in Thailand.

post-171664-0-58736000-1412563682_thumb.

• Like 1

Nothing unusual about that really.

We always have to pay stupid prices in the West for things that are usually cheap in LOS.

It often works in reverse with high pricing for common western products in LOS that are cheap in western supermarkets.

• Like 1

Nothing unusual about that really.

We always have to pay stupid prices in the West for things that are usually cheap in LOS.

It often works in reverse with high pricing for common western products in LOS that are cheap in western supermarkets.

Yep! you have summed it up from both angles,nothing much else to say really,except my Thai wife doesn't know when to say: "keep it! it's much too dear" a good example,in England...... she pays £5 (260 baht) for a miserable small Papaya!

Strangely considering the weight,a Coconut in UK Supermarkets are often no more than (£1)

Edited by MAJIC

In London in 1968 Christmas we wanted a pineapple for the feast table they were a pound each in the green grocers, my wage was around 25 pounds a week for 52 hours work,we never got the pineapple

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...