Lying Posts

Richard W

It's difficult to tell sometimes but I do agree with the OP, it can be a serious problem with some (known) posters, with others it's a question of:

I was certain that was the answer but I was mistaken, or

I was exaggerating of course when I said 10%, I knew all along it was only 0.2%, or

Well it seemed like the correct answer to me at the time, even though I have no first hand experience of the subject, despite my voracious arguments earlier, and.

Well of course it's not a fact, it's just what I think, didn't I mention that!

And so on

• Like 2

Hit the Report button under the post and in the dialogue that comes up, state your case and a Moderator will be judge and jury thumbsup.gif

Don't forget 'executioner' smile.png

I suppose a blatant porky would come under Rule 2 -

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

As noted previously, please hit 'Report' on the post you're concerned about and make your case.

• Like 1

I suppose a blatant porky would come under Rule 2 -

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

As noted previously, please hit 'Report' on the post you're concerned about and make your case.

Will do. I was hesitant because of the following restriction in the rules:

Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules.

The word 'material' suggests more than an off the cuff falsehood, so I wasn't sure the breach was blatant.

We would rather dodgy posts be reported, even if no action is then taken, than something risky be left to fester and come back to bite later.

Obviously, over-use of the Report function is frowned upon as someone has to read and understand every report (and the reported post).

Apply a little common sense to what you report and you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

OP, I assume that everybody has an opinion that likes to present on the forum.

If it is a lie or not it's up to every individual to find out.

I haven't encountered Intentional usage of lying up to now.......but again I could be wrong.

Same here Costas, I tried to give you a like, but same as yesterday, sometimes button does not work, come to think of it, I am on the right forum for this aren't I?

How does one define a lying post?

We all have our own posting styles and our own pints of view.

At time the language used can become a very emotive medium which in one opponents eyes is seen as a distortion of the truth.

It nor necessarily the poster that is to blame but the interpretation of the person who reads that post and who may then decide that the post deviates from the truth as they view it.

Censorship is dangerous road to go down and indeed a dangerous weapon.

Yes if a post is exposed as a malicious outright lie by all means remove it and one would suppose the moderators might advise the poster(s) of the errors of their ways.

However how can we be assured of a moderators neutrality in the interpretation of a particular post?

The human or the moderators mind is after all we must assume is human in its emotive and political views etc and subsequent reactions.

If we were able to answer the question''How long is a piece of string?'' perhaps we would be considered infallible thus able to determine whether a post was a truthful one or a lying one.

How do you find this report option? Im using a Samsung S3 and Im buggered if I can find it!
<comment on moderation removed>
So I would be greatly obliged if someone could tell me how to find the report function that is apparently under the post.

If you are using the Thaivisa App:

1. Highlight the post you want to report (tap on it)
  2. Tap the top right of the screen (three vertical dots) the Report option will appear.
  3. Type your report in the box.

I agree it's a bind, but on a small screen there's no space for everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How does one define a lying post?

We all have our own posting styles and our own pints of view.

At time the language used can become a very emotive medium which in one opponents eyes is seen as a distortion of the truth.

It nor necessarily the poster that is to blame but the interpretation of the person who reads that post and who may then decide that the post deviates from the truth as they view it.

Censorship is dangerous road to go down and indeed a dangerous weapon.

Yes if a post is exposed as a malicious outright lie by all means remove it and one would suppose the moderators might advise the poster(s) of the errors of their ways.

However how can we be assured of a moderators neutrality in the interpretation of a particular post?

The human or the moderators mind is after all we must assume is human in its emotive and political views etc and subsequent reactions.

If we were able to answer the question''How long is a piece of string?'' perhaps we would be considered infallible thus able to determine whether a post was a truthful one or a lying one.

I would define lying as intending to deceive or writing what you know is false.

Writing false information, but not knowing it is false is not lying. As such, being called a liar for that is defamatory.

If a person is demonstrably lying, as per the OP, I personally think exposure is called for. If that is by the mod, then so be it, but the mod should post that a lie has been exposed. Preferably the liar should be exposed as untrustworthy.