Pattaya Hospitals

Tolley

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use Bangkok Hospital Pattaya when I absolutely have to, otherwise I go to Bumrungrad. I had some heart problem and decided to try BHP since I live in Pattaya. Came home with loads of pills some of which made me feel worse. Went to Bumrungrad where Dr. says "Why this and this and this? and told me not to take. Did CT64. Nothing wrong.

Here are some costs from both hospitals:

BHP single room with microwave and sink B4,100

B'grad single room, microwave and sink in corridor pantry B3,300

BHP standard inpatient food B1,300

B'grad food B430

BHP Nursing Charge B2200

B'grad Nursing charge B1,300

BPH 1000ml Iv Fluid B495

B'grad 1000 IV fluid B396

BPH 100ml IV fluid B165

B'grad 100ml IV fluid B178

CBC is B240 at BHP, B205 at B'grad.

Electrolytes are B220 each at BHP, B195 each at B'grad.

You may wish to get BUPA or Blue Cross prior to going in? Charges seem to change from day to day! :o

Haven't had any problem with charges changing day to day at Bumrungrad and detailed list is very understandable which is not the case at BHP. I have just noticed a charge on BPH bill of B500 for "Other Medical Service Charge". What can that be? Is not for Thermometer Probe Cover Sheath (Digital) charged at B12 each or for Alcohol Sheets at B4 each. B'grad 'loses' such small misc charges in the Nursing Service charge.

I've got several friends in Pattaya that are generally quite satisfied with BPH, however, after reading all these negative posts I have second thoughts. I'll be retiring to Patttaya in about 2-3 years and thought BPH would be my health service provider but I'm open to any alternatives. Is Samitivej in Sri Racha a better choice? I had a friend who had a quadruple by-pass at their Bangkok location and was quite impressed with the whole experience.

Is Samitivej in Sri Racha a better choice? I had a friend who had a quadruple by-pass at their Bangkok location and was quite impressed with the whole experience.

Most definitely....YES. My daughter was born in the Samitivej Sri Racha Hospital and my positive recommendation is not only related to the care and concern given to my wife and baby during my wife's pregnancy, and after my daughter's birth, but from personal experiences whilst I was working in Thailand.......and from my globally-recognised employer. My employer would not entertain any thought of registering me with any hospital in Pattaya.

I just don't trust Bangkok Pattaya - for many reasons, but mainly too many horror stories - both personal and anecdotal - about putting money ahead of the correct treatment.

A couple of months ago my wife went to BP for a dental check up. She had no pain or problems, but just wanted a check up. The dentist immediately drilled and filled 5 teeth on the left side of her mouth and told her she needed similar treatment on the right side. After the treatment, she experienced a lot of pain, so a couple of weeks later she went back and the dentist fiddled about with her fillings and said it would be OK now. Two weeks later, still a lot of pain (she can't eat on that side of the mouth), so we seeked a second opinion. The new dentist was horrified - he said there was nothing wrong with her teeth, they were in excellent condition and none of the fillings had been necessary and she didn't need any on the other side of her mouth. He tried to alleviate the pain, but there is only a slight improvement, so we will go back next week and see what more he can do.

Two days ago my wife discovered a lump in her breast. I rushed her down to BP and they did a mamogram. The doctor said there was a very small lump, which she DOUBTED was cancerous. She asked my wife if she wanted to do a biopsy. My wife asked what she recmmended. She told my wife it was "up to her!" "she could wait, or she could do the biopsy - the decision was her's!! What kind of bullshit advice is that?

Anyway we will go to Bumrungrad in BKK and check it out properly with proper doctors, which is where I recommend everyone to go if they have anything approaching a serious medical problem.

Wow, that's a suprise to me I am no fan of Bumrungrad they give me the creeps on the other hand I like Bangkok International, my wife is having our baby there in a few month. The doctors have been great, vey attentive and everything seems top notch. Granted I am a doctor and they know this, but even before they did I got great care there. the guys at Bumrungrad just seem like they couldn't be bothered with me. I thought I was in a hospital back in the States.

J

I'll post this here and on my Bangkok Pattaya Hospital thread.

My wife screwed up and booked me in to Samitevit Dental department rather than the One nearby as advised by Taxexile.

Incidentally I couldn't get an appointment for any time on Thursday or Friday at Bumrungrad, so they are clearly very popular.

I met a middle aged Chinese-Thai denstist at Samitivej who spoke perfect American accented English.

I do indeed have badly cracked tooth, but nothing to do with the crown put in by BP - it's not even opposite the cracked tooth. He said he would grind it down a bit , remove the old filling and put a new temp filling to 'hold it all together. He took some xrays and is sure he can save the tooth by root canal and crown treatment.

I suggested just removing it to save all the hassle, and he said if I remove the tooth I will have to remove the opposite lower tooth as well and will effectively lose 30 % of my eating power.

So he did the temporary treatment - took about 15 minutes (those bloody women dentisists at BP used to take hours to do anything) and I have instant pain relief. It is now 6 hours since the treatment - I have had a meal, chewed on the tooth and so far no pain.

So I reckon I'll go back on Monday to start the root canal work. The cost is less than BP (surprise surprise).

Kurgen - you were right that guy in Soi . He wanted to remove the tooth on the spot and said nothing about having to remove another one in the lower jaw as well. Maybe that would come later.

On the way back to Pattaya, I detoured via Bang Saen to avoid the afternoon traffic jams and went past Samitivet in Sri Racha. I timed it to my home - 30 minutes door to door in fairly heavy traffic.

So I reckon this is a real option next time I need medical help. I'll try it out for sure.

Does anyone have any recommendation on hospitals in Pattaya?

I need to get some medical tests heart related done which I am going to be paying for myself .

Therefore i am looking for a mixture of good service and reasonable prices.

Last year a Dutch couple that live near me asked if I knew a good hospital his wife needed surgery. I told them to go to the Navy Hospital at Satterhip. They saw the surgeon and booked into the hospital for three days and were quoated 23,000B for everything. On their way back they called into BP hospital to check how much it would cost there, Quoated 255,000B for the same surgery. After the operation at the Navy hospital I asked their opinion about the hospital and they were very happy about the outcome, except that they were charged 25,000B for extra meds.

I have been to the Navy hospital several times at outpatients except you might have to wait a while to see the Doctor I found there service very good. I have also been to the BP several times and found it just a money making machine aimed at ripping off the foreigners.

I hope this has helped. :o

I need to get some medical tests heart related done which I am going to be paying for myself .

Last year a Dutch couple that live near me asked if I knew a good hospital his wife needed surgery. I told them to go to the Navy Hospital at Satterhip. They saw the surgeon and booked into the hospital for three days and were quoated 23,000B for everything. On their way back they called into BP hospital to check how much it would cost there, Quoated 255,000B for the same surgery. After the operation at the Navy hospital I asked their opinion about the hospital and they were very happy about the outcome, except that they were charged 25,000B for extra meds.

I have been to the Navy hospital several times at outpatients except you might have to wait a while to see the Doctor I found there service very good. I have also been to the BP several times and found it just a money making machine aimed at ripping off the foreigners.

Hi Tony,

Strange to relate I have never been to Sattahip.

About how long does it take to get to the hospital? Is it closer than Sri Racha?

Hi Tony,

Strange to relate I have never been to Sattahip.

About how long does it take to get to the hospital? Is it closer than Sri Racha?

I think it would be closer than Sri Racha from where I live, I just go tp Suk Rd and get the bus and it drops me off at the front door of the hospital and the same coming back. I have never really timed it but about 15 to 20 minutes.

Last year I had to get some medication for depression. I know a foreign doctor in Pattaya he called around to see if I could get it in Thailand. BP wanted 93Baht for each pill and the navy hospital charged me about 30Baht per pill. He told me the ceiling cost per pill at the time was 93Baht per pill in Thailand and that BP hospital allways charge the max. I think the cost to see the GP is about 40Baht plus any extras. The last time I went there I had a bad dose of bronchitas and the doc just took me into ward and put me straight on oxygen no mucken about. You wont get any of this one price for Thais and another for Farlang they treat everyone equal. The Navy hospital was built by the yanks during the Vietnam war and handed over to Thailand once they got out of this area.

The Navy hospital was built by the yanks during the Vietnam war and handed over to Thailand once they got out of this area.

Tony....the hospital isn't that old. The Royal Thai Navy built Queen Sirikit Hospital. The project was started in 1992 and the opening ceremony was held by H.R.H. Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn on August 22, 1997. I know because I was there.

Edited by Artisan

The Navy hospital was built by the yanks during the Vietnam war and handed over to Thailand once they got out of this area.

Tony....the hospital isn't that old. The Royal Thai Navy built Queen Sirikit Hospital. The project was started in 1992 and the opening ceremony was held by H.R.H. Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn on August 22, 1997. I know because I was there.

Thanks for the info I was told the other story but Im sure you will be right.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinion. That's very helpful even if not always reassuring. Can I ask here about sriracha's hospitals?

There are a few advises about Samitivet, but what about the others?

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinion. That's very helpful even if not always reassuring. Can I ask here about sriracha's hospitals?

There are a few advises about Samitivet, but what about the others?

I think you will find that the only one worth going to in Sri Racha would be Samitivej. Otherwise you are into "Thai' hospitals, and you might as well go to one in Pattaya - they're all pretty much as bad - or good - as each other.

It's very helpful to have facts rather than anecdotal experiences. For me, this is the most valuable post in the thread.

What is a CT64? I did a search on it and got back 'cable tester'. I don' t think that is what you were subjected to. ;-). If it is a CAT scan, would you mind stating how much it was?

Peter

I use Bangkok Hospital Pattaya when I absolutely have to, otherwise I go to Bumrungrad. I had some heart problem and decided to try BHP since I live in Pattaya. Came home with loads of pills some of which made me feel worse. Went to Bumrungrad where Dr. says "Why this and this and this? and told me not to take. Did CT64. Nothing wrong.

Here are some costs from both hospitals:

BHP single room with microwave and sink B4,100

B'grad single room, microwave and sink in corridor pantry B3,300

BHP standard inpatient food B1,300

B'grad food B430

BHP Nursing Charge B2200

B'grad Nursing charge B1,300

BPH 1000ml Iv Fluid B495

B'grad 1000 IV fluid B396

BPH 100ml IV fluid B165

B'grad 100ml IV fluid B178

CBC is B240 at BHP, B205 at B'grad.

Electrolytes are B220 each at BHP, B195 each at B'grad.

It's very helpful to have facts rather than anecdotal experiences. For me, this is the most valuable post in the thread.

What is a CT64? I did a search on it and got back 'cable tester'. I don' t think that is what you were subjected to. ;-). If it is a CAT scan, would you mind stating how much it was?

Peter

Yes, its a CT scan. Google "64-slice CT scan". I paid Bumrungrad Hospital THB15,760 for scan and THB4,240 for radiologist's fee. OPD facility fee is THB100. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya also do 64 slice CTs of the heart but I don't know what they charge. Cost to discuss result of CT64 2 days later with cardiologist was THB1,000 his fee plus the 100 for facility use.

Well they may be anectodal, but there is a number of posts in this forum where people have testified to the fact that even when BP quoted a cost in advance, almost invariably there were some substantial 'add ons' that hadn't been included in the quote, especially where admittances were concerened.

When my wife was admitted at BP last week I was given a price range for her treatment. The actual cost exceeded this price range by over 5,000 Baht.

On two separate recent occassions, both myself and my wife were admitted to Bungrumrad for minor procedures, and on both occasions the final cost was at the bottom of the range that was quoted in writing - unlike BP where the quote was verbal and the cost exceeded the quote.

I personally think the evidence is overwhelming, gentlemen. :o

You may wish to get BUPA or Blue Cross prior to going in? Charges seem to change from day to day! :o

I have had Bupa going on four years. Because we live in Pattaya we use BPH, and have always gotten discounts because we have insurance. n example is when my son had pnewmonia, they gave us a 1000 BHT dicount on the room. So the room was 1700 baht instead of 2700 baht which is the standard rate if you live here. If you are a tourist you will pay more.

Barry

I have had Bupa going on four years. Because we live in Pattaya we use BPH, and have always gotten discounts because we have insurance. n example is when my son had pnewmonia, they gave us a 1000 BHT dicount on the room. So the room was 1700 baht instead of 2700 baht which is the standard rate if you live here. If you are a tourist you will pay more.

Barry

I paid 4,100 for "standard inpatient accomodation". I live here too and was not offered any discounts. I know BHP has 2 wings. Is there a difference in price between the wings? Room I was in had microwave, kitchen sink, tea/coffee things, beautiful bathroom, plant on balcony, electric aroma thingummyjig, nice wall pictures, comfortable mattress, adjustable bed, etc. All the nurses spoke good English. When hubbie came to visit first time he got lost and went to other wing - none of the nurses spoke English. A friend was in a different room to what I was in and her mattress was HARD and bed looked ancient.

Re BUPA: Some time ago I applied locally for BUPA but the application forms eventually arrived from UK. Can you tell us how to get local BUPA. Many thanks.

Well, we may have got them in their 3 tier pricing.

My wife was admitted recently(August 2006) to BP and I was offered the choice of VIP room or a standard room. I opted for the standard room.

This room was fine in every respect. TV, fridge, balcony with cooking facilities, well appointed bathroom, sofa that folded down into a single bed, plus two other arm chairs. Clean with all modern furniture and equipment.

Cost (including meals): 2,700 Baht per day.

Nurse Service: 900 Baht per day

From memory, the VIP room was not a lot more - maybe around 3,200.

Compare this to the prices quoted in the post above. She, of course, is a Thai, resident in Banglamung.

Noel, please note - happy to send you a copy of the total bill if it will assist your investigations. :o

Well, we may have got them in their 3 tier pricing.

My wife was admitted recently(August 2006) to BP and I was offered the choice of VIP room or a standard room. I opted for the standard room.

This room was fine in every respect. TV, fridge, balcony with cooking facilities, well appointed bathroom, sofa that folded down into a single bed, plus two other arm chairs. Clean with all modern furniture and equipment.

Cost (including meals): 2,700 Baht per day.

Nurse Service: 900 Baht per day

From memory, the VIP room was not a lot more - maybe around 3,200.

Compare this to the prices quoted in the post above. She, of course, is a Thai, resident in Banglamung.

Noel, please note - happy to send you a copy of the total bill if it will assist your investigations. :D

Please do Mobi. :o

As it happens, I have an appointment there at 2.00 pm today.

What I will do is present my hospital card at Reception as usual and I know they will ask me to confirm my address.

I will then ask them why they need to know and as to whether my being resident in Pattaya makes any difference in charges.

I will let you know what they say later... :D

I stayed there in April 06 for one night.

Standard Room 1'700 Baht

Standard Food 600 Baht

Nursing 1'100 Baht

Room same as described by Mobi D'ark. And a Nurse asked me if I need Lady for the night. Probably to hold my Hand so I wil forget about my Pain :o

I did not accept the offer so I don't know how much they would charge for this Service :D

Paid by my Thai Insurance :D

......... And a Nurse asked me if I need Lady for the night. Probably to hold my Hand so I wil forget about my Pain :o

I did not accept the offer so I don't know how much they would charge for this Service :D

....are we talking about the same hospital?

......... And a Nurse asked me if I need Lady for the night. Probably to hold my Hand so I wil forget about my Pain :o

....are we talking about the same hospital?

I should imagine that the nurse was asking if his girlfriend would be staying overnight, so she could arrange for bedding (and no doubt charge for it...).

Just back from a visit to the BPH, having seen Dr. Thitima V.vatanakul, M.D. in the Gastroenterological Clinic.

I tried to get some info from Reception, but it was yet another case of ‘gai kui gap bpet’ (chicken talking with a duck) and got absolutely nowhere with my ‘interrogation’ on pricing policy.

Dr. 'Thit' advised that I must have a gastroscopy as she suspects I have a blockage of some description in my oesophagus.

This will be done under local anaesthestic, although as of midnight I am on ‘nil by mouth’. She also told me that I must have an HIV test before they would perform the procedure.

I can hardly wait for 7.30 am tomorrow, as having a camera shoved down my throat and some possible snipping done sounds like a bundle of laughs... :o

I was then ushered off to the Admissions Office.

I was immediately asked if I had insurance. With that, I produced my BUPA International card and asked her if I would get a discount because I had insurance. She stifled a laugh and said that I would not.

She then looked at my BUPA card and told me that as the procedure would be performed in the morning, I would have to pay by cash or credit card although they would give me a certificate for the insurance company.

I then launched in to the subject of discounts. She asked me if I had a Pattaya Sports Club card. I do and so I produced it. This, she said, entitled me to a 10% discount on medicines but I must produce the card to the Cashier when I pay. I already knew that, but went on to mention the Expat Club card. I also know that that attracts the same discount as the Sports Club Card, although for some reason she was unable to confirm.

I am pretty sure it does.

I then asked her as to whether it made any difference if I had a Non-Immigrant Visa, retirement extension and so forth, specifically asking her that as I was not a tourist then would I get a discount. I produced my passport but she was not remotely interested in my visa status.

She made it very clear that it did not matter if I was a resident, retired, working, or a tourist: the charge is the same.

She was emphatic in her reply as she told me the only discount available was the one I was already entitled to with my Pattaya Sports Club card, unless I had a ‘Diamond Card'. I asked her what such a card cost and what discount it would offer me. She told me it cost ฿30,000 and it was valid for three years. She then gave me a brochure which you can see below:

post-3455-1156758243_thumb.jpg

DIAMOND_CARD_OUTER.pdfDIAMOND_CARD.pdf

As there was a recent promotion at the BHP that offered a 2% discount if you used a Visa card, I asked her if I paid by credit card would I be entitled to any further discount.

I passed her my UK Visa Gold Card and my Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa card.

She was not interested in the Gold Card, but said that the Bangkok Bank card would give me 10% discount on medicines, exactly as does the Pattaya Sports Club card. Just for a laugh I asked her if that would therefore get me a 20% discount as I had both. She chuckled as she shook her head.

Given the above, plus the recent e-mail correspondence I have received from Reina in the International Department and others in the Quality Department, anyone claiming that expat’s are charged less than tourists is, IMHO, sadly mistaken.

I went on to ask if a Thai national received a special discount as opposed to a farang and she firmly said that was not the case.

I tend to believe her, as that place is a profit centre-cum-billing machine first, a medical care centre second. A customer is a customer seems to be their mantra.

I also asked for a cost estimate for tomorrow’s procedure. She told me the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines. I then asked her to commit to a total figure: she would not. She just confirmed that the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines and anything else that might be needed.

It will be interesting to see what the actual bill comes to tomorrow… :D

I then asked whether it made any difference if I had a Non-Immigrant Visa, retirement extension and so forth, specifically asking her that as I was not a tourist then would I get a discount. I produced my passport but she was not remotely interested in my visa status. She made it very clear that it did not matter if I was a resident, retired, working, or a tourist: the charge is the same.

Given the above, plus the recent e-mail correspondence I have received from Reina in the International Department and others in the Quality Department, anyone claiming that expat’s are charged less than tourists is, IMHO, sadly mistaken.

I went on to ask if a Thai national received a special discount as opposed to a farang and she firmly said that was not the case. I tend to believe her, as that place is a profit centre-cum-billing machine first, a medical care centre second. A customer is a customer seems to be their mantra.

Noel has received clarification rom the hospital staff on the various discounts related to having membership of whatever and, by asking all the relevant questions, he has come to the conclusion that Bangkok Pattaya Hospital DOES NOT operate a multi-tier pricing policy. As I have already said, I'm not an advocate of this particular hospital, nor the alternatives in Pattaya (I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole) but I did have a good friend who was, at one time, a Deputy Director of the BPH. She levelled with me and confirmed that multi-tier pricing didn't exist. I believed her.

I'm surprised that Noel had to pay up front first even though he has BUPA insrance.

:o

Yes, we are talking about BPH.

Nurse: Mista, you have Lady?

CHD: You mean GF/Wife? No; I don't have.

Nurse: You want Lady?

CHD: No, thank you.

Maybe I did understand something wrong? :D

CHD.....maybe it was a proposal of marriage!!! Go for it and maybe you'd qualify for any staff discounts :D

:o

Yes, we are talking about BPH.

Nurse: Mista, you have Lady?

CHD: You mean GF/Wife? No; I don't have.

Nurse: You want Lady?

CHD: No, thank you.

Maybe I did understand something wrong? :D

CHD.....maybe it was a proposal of marriage!!! Go for it and maybe you'd qualify for any staff discounts :D

:D:D I like it :D