Pattaya Hospitals

Tolley

I then asked whether it made any difference if I had a Non-Immigrant Visa, retirement extension and so forth, specifically asking her that as I was not a tourist then would I get a discount. I produced my passport but she was not remotely interested in my visa status. She made it very clear that it did not matter if I was a resident, retired, working, or a tourist: the charge is the same.

Given the above, plus the recent e-mail correspondence I have received from Reina in the International Department and others in the Quality Department, anyone claiming that expat’s are charged less than tourists is, IMHO, sadly mistaken.

I went on to ask if a Thai national received a special discount as opposed to a farang and she firmly said that was not the case. I tend to believe her, as that place is a profit centre-cum-billing machine first, a medical care centre second. A customer is a customer seems to be their mantra.

Noel has received clarification rom the hospital staff on the various discounts related to having membership of whatever and, by asking all the relevant questions, he has come to the conclusion that Bangkok Pattaya Hospital DOES NOT operate a multi-tier pricing policy. As I have already said, I'm not an advocate of this particular hospital, nor the alternatives in Pattaya (I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole) but I did have a good friend who was, at one time, a Deputy Director of the BPH. She levelled with me and confirmed that multi-tier pricing didn't exist. I believed her.

I'm surprised that Noel had to pay up front first even though he has BUPA insrance.

They did not actually say that I had to pay upfront, although that might be the case in the morning. I believe it was, given the timing, they wanted me to pay by cash or credit card as they did not have time to check with BUPA. :D

They were however very aware that I had been a customer for many years and knew every bill had been paid; the clerk referred to my file right in front of me.

I was in there earlier this year as an inpatient for eight days (totally unrelated problem, knackered knee) and that bill of over 100k was settled direct by BUPA, although I did have to leave a deposit which was later returned once they were reimbursed.

Basically, I now do not believe they discriminate pricewise against farang. They appear to be happy to profit from all customers equally, Thai included.

Rest assured, I have already seriously pissed off several in the chain of command in my quest to get to the bottom of all this, and I will have no compunction in going for throats (ouch...) again if I deem it justified.

I will see what happens tomorrow as regards their cost estimate and let you all know, unless of course I become an integral part of the foundations of their next new wing... :o

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just back from a visit to the BPH, having seen Dr. Thitima V.vatanakul, M.D. in the Gastroenterological Clinic.

I tried to get some info from Reception, but it was yet another case of ‘gai kui gap bpet’ (chicken talking with a duck) and got absolutely nowhere with my ‘interrogation’ on pricing policy.

Dr. 'Thit' advised that I must have a gastroscopy as she suspects I have a blockage of some description in my oesophagus.

I also asked for a cost estimate for tomorrow’s procedure. She told me the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines. I then asked her to commit to a total figure: she would not. She just confirmed that the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines and anything else that might be needed.

It will be interesting to see what the actual bill comes to tomorrow… :o

So sorry to hear you could have problem and hope that Dr. Thit finds nothing tomorrow.

I, myself, don't like Dr. Thit.

FYI, gastroscopy at Bumrungrad, performed by gastroenterologist who is FRCS Edinburgh, costs THB13,293 and this includes 2 small biopsies and the pathologist's fee, CD of the gastroscopy, and test for H. pylori.

Good luck.

Just back from a visit to the BPH, having seen Dr. Thitima V.vatanakul, M.D. in the Gastroenterological Clinic.

I tried to get some info from Reception, but it was yet another case of ‘gai kui gap bpet’ (chicken talking with a duck) and got absolutely nowhere with my ‘interrogation’ on pricing policy.

Dr. 'Thit' advised that I must have a gastroscopy as she suspects I have a blockage of some description in my oesophagus.

I also asked for a cost estimate for tomorrow’s procedure. She told me the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines. I then asked her to commit to a total figure: she would not. She just confirmed that the gastroscopy would cost ฿13,000, plus medicines and anything else that might be needed.

It will be interesting to see what the actual bill comes to tomorrow… :D

So sorry to hear you could have problem and hope that Dr. Thit finds nothing tomorrow.

FYI, gastroscopy at Bumrungrad, performed by gastroenterologist who is FRCS Edinburgh, costs THB13,293 and this includes 2 small biopsies and the pathologist's fee, CD of the gastroscopy, and test for H. pylori.

Good luck.

Thanks, Roamin. :o

I also did not like her brusque manner, but I will go ahead regardless. Cost is not really an issue.

I asked her why I would have to have 'nil by mouth' from midnight tonight for a local anaesthetic and she said it was because if I did not 'co-operate', I might well throw up. :D

I really am looking forward to the morning... :D

Well, we may have got them in their 3 tier pricing.

My wife was admitted recently(August 2006) to BP and I was offered the choice of VIP room or a standard room. I opted for the standard room.

This room was fine in every respect. TV, fridge, balcony with cooking facilities, well appointed bathroom, sofa that folded down into a single bed, plus two other arm chairs. Clean with all modern furniture and equipment.

Cost (including meals): 2,700 Baht per day.

Nurse Service: 900 Baht per day

From memory, the VIP room was not a lot more - maybe around 3,200.

Compare this to the prices quoted in the post above. She, of course, is a Thai, resident in Banglamung.

Noel, please note - happy to send you a copy of the total bill if it will assist your investigations. :o

Your wife is Thai and gets room and board for 3,600 per day. I am farang and pay 5,400. Somebody said that he/she has been told that BHP does not have dual pricing. I will have to take all your posts to the hospital management and get this sorted.

Good luck.

I also did not like her brusque manner, but I will go ahead regardless. Cost is not really an issue.

I asked her why I would have to have 'nil by mouth' from midnight tonight for a local anaesthetic and she said it was because if I did not 'co-operate', I might well throw up. :D

Noel don`t worry it`s a piece of cake I had one last year without the anaesthetic....the worst thing was not having my bacon sandwich for breakfast :D

Good luck.

You may wish to get BUPA or Blue Cross prior to going in? Charges seem to change from day to day! :o

I have had Bupa going on four years. Because we live in Pattaya we use BPH, and have always gotten discounts because we have insurance. n example is when my son had pnewmonia, they gave us a 1000 BHT dicount on the room. So the room was 1700 baht instead of 2700 baht which is the standard rate if you live here. If you are a tourist you will pay more.

Barry

Yje Bupa office in Pattaya is on Suhkimvit just after Pattaya Nua same side as the hospital, just before.

If you ask for the old wing they will give you a discount.

They should be charging you the same as your wife paid, as long as you are registered wiyh a non O visa with a years extension.

Barry

[

Noel, your stomach has to be empty. When passing the scope you might gag a bit and bring up whatever is in your stomach. You will be sedated enough that you will have no idea what is going on but you will be able to obey instructions such as 'keep your hand down'.

[

Noel, your stomach has to be empty. When passing the scope you might gag a bit and bring up whatever is in your stomach. You will be sedated enough that you will have no idea what is going on but you will be able to obey instructions such as 'keep your hand down'.

Just one more thing, Noel. Do not get rushed into anything if the gastroscopy does show something. Get another opinion, see another kind of doctor. Surgeons always want to operate right now!

Thanks, Roamin. :D

Just one more thing, Noel. Do not get rushed into anything if the gastroscopy does show something. Get another opinion, see another kind of doctor. Surgeons always want to operate right now!

Thanks again, Roamin, I appreciate the support and advice.

That thought had already crossed my mind, but I will take a view in the morning as and when whatever develops develops...

I just hope they do not 'excise' something by mistake without my consent, unlike certain other non-Thai profiteering organisations with governmental backing... :o

Oh well, off for a shower and then to bed, the alarm already set for 6.00 am.

I can't wait! :D

Dr. Titima gave me the option of local or general anesthetic for this procedure. I chose local. It was an unpleasant experience but not that big a deal. It only takes a few minutes.

You will definitely be fully aware as all the anesthetic, which is a liquid, not an injection, does is freeze your throat a bit. As I recall I did have to take some pills in advance but if they were sedatives they did not work!

Best of luck.

Peter

Edited by PMK

Dr. Titima gave me the option of local or general anesthetic for this procedure. I chose local. It was an unpleasant experience but not that big a deal. It only takes a few minutes.

You will definitely be fully aware as all the anesthetic, which is a liquid, not an injection, does is freeze your throat a bit. As I recall I did have to take some pills in advance but if they were sedatives they did not work!

Best of luck.

Peter

Some go for just the spray on the back of the throat and some go for IV injection which as I've said knocks you out so's you won't remember anything after the event but during the scope you will obey instructions. And please, when you are to have a procedure done, try to get all the information from the doctor about what he will do, what drugs he will give, how long procedure takes, how long you will be in recovery ward, and anything else you can think of, including cost. Get a detailed bill from the hospital, check it and question it if necessary. Yes, I know its a hassle. Also, if you have a partner who is willing and able to come with you to Dr's appointments and even to watch such procedures as gastroscopies and colonoscopies, that's a plus. I've always found doctors to be quite happy to have an observer and to explain what he is seeing through the scope.

I arrived at the BPH a little early for the 7.30 am appointment, but was soon taken through the usual checks, plus blood sample.

I was pleased to have it confirmed that I am HIV Negative.

As for the gastroscopy itself, I really would not want to go through that again anytime soon. A most unpleasant experience, to say the least.

I could not help but watch the screen, although I did have a couple of violent gagging fits despite the fact that I was trying my hardest not to resist.

Fifteen or more very long minutes...

I suppose you could say that the procedure was a success, although I would have preferred a different outcome. The biopsy of the tumour she found has been sent off for analysis.

I was then wheeled off for a CAT scan.

Dr Thitima had little doubt that I will need surgery and, without even waiting for the CT results, an appointment had been made for me to see a surgeon on Friday, followed by another consultation with her.

Dr Thitima pulls no punches.

When I asked her as to her opinion, she bluntly told me that the tumour looked very bad and she did not like the look of it at all.

When asked the obvious question, she casually commented that the it might be benign, but we will have to wait until Friday to know for sure.

Oh, and the bill came to just over ฿29,300, less discount of ฿400

Happy days! :o

I arrived at the BPH a little early for the 7.30 am appointment, but was soon taken through the usual checks, plus blood sample.

As for the gastroscopy itself, I really would not want to go through that again anytime soon. A most unpleasant experience, to say the least.

I could not help but watch the screen, although I did have a couple of violent gagging fits despite the fact that I was trying my hardest not to resist.

I suppose you could say that the procedure was a success, although I would have preferred a different outcome. The biopsy of the tumour she found has been sent off for analysis.

Dr Thitima had little doubt that I will need surgery and, without even waiting for the CT results, an appointment had been made for me to see a surgeon on Friday, followed by another consultation with her.

When I asked her as to her opinion, she bluntly told me that the tumour looked very bad and she did not like the look of it at all.

When asked the obvious question, she casually commented that the it might be benign, but we will have to wait until Friday to know for sure.

Dear Noel,

Please do get another opinion before surgery. If this tumour is not benign, in North America and the UK you would have chemo and/or radiation to try to reduce the tumour, then there is waiting period before surgery. Also, you should have CTs of lungs and whole abdomen and a bone scan. If the tumour is not benign you should see an oncologist. Dr. Prasat at BHP is reported to be very good but his professor, Dr. Narin Voravud, who has clinics at Bumrungrad, is better. Did Dr. Thitima give you a CD and photos of the endoscopy? There are several USA trained oncologists at Bumrungrad – you can read their cvs on Bumrungrad site. Esophageal surgery is serious stuff but you should not rush into it. Take time to get a good medical and surgical team together – oncologist, surgeon, a good GP can be helpful. Any other team members will be recommended by the oncologist and surgeon if and when needed. Find out what kind of surgical procedure will be done and find out how many the surgeon has done.

Good luck. PM me if you want to.

Dear Noel,

Please do get another opinion before surgery. If this tumour is not benign, in North America and the UK you would have chemo and/or radiation to try to reduce the tumour, then there is waiting period before surgery. Also, you should have CTs of lungs and whole abdomen and a bone scan. If the tumour is not benign you should see an oncologist. Dr. Prasat at BHP is reported to be very good but his professor, Dr. Narin Voravud, who has clinics at Bumrungrad, is better. Did Dr. Thitima give you a CD and photos of the endoscopy? There are several USA trained oncologists at Bumrungrad – you can read their cvs on Bumrungrad site. Esophageal surgery is serious stuff but you should not rush into it. Take time to get a good medical and surgical team together – oncologist, surgeon, a good GP can be helpful. Any other team members will be recommended by the oncologist and surgeon if and when needed. Find out what kind of surgical procedure will be done and find out how many the surgeon has done.

Dear Noel,

I am very distressed to hear of your medical problems.

Noel, I can't urge you enough to follow Roamin's advice. I would never even contemplate major surgery at BP. You must have read enough reports in this forum alone to least seriously wonder if you are getting the best possible treatment.

Bumrungrad is a well oiled, efficient, professional machine with a high international reputation to protect. Their doctors are far superior and more experienced than BP and, in my personal experience, more ethical.

Just get yourself a limo and get up to BKK. You'll be there in 2 hours. Call them ahead and book an appointment , and take with you all your records from BP.

I will be at Bungrumrad myself on Friday morning so if you are there around that time let me know.

Take care and good luck.

Mobi

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

It will be interesting to see what the actual bill comes to tomorrow… :o

So this was part of the medicines? 28 900 - 13 000 = 15 900 baht for medicines only today? An awfully lot of medicines or awfully expensive medicines?

And as others stated already; we are holding breath for your tumor not to be anything serious. I have my thumbs up for you.

Noel, I can't urge you enough to follow Roamin's advice. I would never even contemplate major surgery at BP. You must have read enough reports in this forum alone to least seriously wonder if you are getting the best possible treatment.

Bumrungrad is a well oiled, efficient, professional machine with a high international reputation to protect. Their doctors are far superior and more experienced than BP and, in my personal experience, more ethical.

Noel....keep your chin up friend. As Mobi and Roamin have said, get up to Bangkok and visit Bumrungrad Hospital, or the Siriraj Medical School Hospital, for a second opinion. It's no coincidence that both the King and my wife have had major surgery at Siriraj.

Just another bad story from BPH........a friend, who sadly died recently, was admitted to BPH and was diagnosed to have Hepatitis C by a doctor there. He was in BPH for about 10 days. How off the mark that diagnosis was. He had a pacemaker fitted a few years ago and his condition was due to him having an abscess in the vicinity of his pacemaker!!!!

noel , if you decide you want a second opinion , then i can recommend dr.nusont kladcharoen at bangkok bumrungrads gastro -enterology dept.

he qualified in the uk in the late 70's , perfect english and i believe him to be ethical and dedicated.

(i've had a gastroscopy (endoscopy) there , in may 2005.

with sedation , and biopsy and an abdominal ultrasound , and a bed to sleep it off for half a day, the total bill was 15,200)

good luck with the results on friday , and whatever they tell you , please get a second opinion elsewhere.

So this was part of the medicines? 28 900 - 13 000 = 15 900 baht for medicines only today? An awfully lot of medicines or awfully expensive medicines?

No, not for medicines. Noel had a CT done so much of the B15,900 would have been for that

Noel,

I like certain things about Dr. Thitima, for example that yes, she is direct. She is also somewhat pessimistic and always, always, covers the potential worst outcome. I am not just blowing smoke at you - I've been going to her for many years. That is just the way she is. She thinks out loud and exactly the way I would want my doctor to think, reflecting on worse case scenarios.

As an initial screen, B-P is fine, but I agree strongly to get another opinion if you are diagnosed as cancer and don't have major elective surgery there. Also, if there is just the one tumor, maybe you should be sure it is preserved as diagnosis of those things may be as much art as science - I don't know - but just maybe it should have a second opinion too.

Best of luck and take it easy - you don't know what it is yet. I had a tumor removed from my esophagus and it was benign, but there were lots of frowns and "I don't want to worry you, but"'s from her before we found that out.

If it is cancer an alternative to Bumrungrad is the cancer centre in Chonburi which I hear is very good but have no personal experience with it - I'd be interested in other's experience. Really, though, I don't think you can go wrong with Bumrungrad.

Peter

Happy days! :D

Dear Noel,

Thanks again Roamin, and to all for the excellent advice and supportive words. :o

I did ask for a CD, but all they could supply were photos of the tumour before and after the biopsy:

post-3455-1156913189_thumb.jpg

post-3455-1156913248_thumb.jpg

post-3455-1156913324_thumb.jpg

All I can do now is wait for Friday and see what the CT scan showed, although of course my main concern is the result of the biopsy tissue analysis.

If it turns out to be worst case, I will listen to what they have to say and discuss their proposed treatment. I will then ask for all pertinent records which I will take along to Bumrungrad.

It is going to a very long couple of days, but qu’est sera sera I guess... :D

Noel,

I like certain things about Dr. Thitima, for example that yes, she is direct. She is also somewhat pessimistic and always, always, covers the potential worst outcome. I am not just blowing smoke at you - I've been going to her for many years. That is just the way she is. She thinks out loud and exactly the way I would want my doctor to think, reflecting on worse case scenarios.

Peter

Maybe she was having a bad day when she told my friend he was constipated and prescribed enemas. A month later he was diagnosed at a BKK hospital with advanced gastric cancer.

All I can do now is wait for Friday and see what the CT scan showed, although of course my main concern is the result of the biopsy tissue analysis.

If it turns out to be worst case, I will listen to what they have to say and discuss their proposed treatment. I will then ask for all pertinent records which I will take along to Bumrungrad.

It is going to a very long couple of days, but qu’est sera sera I guess... :o

Yes, it will be a long 2 days. Do you have someone close to share them with you? It is good that you have decided on another opinion at Bumrungrad. You perhaps have already decided which oncologist to see, if yours does turn out to be a case for an oncologist. When I needed an oncologist Dr Irene (excellent GP) at BNH in Bangkok said Dr Narin is the best. Below is info found on the internet that isn’t on the info given on the Bumrungrad site. I am not sure if the info given on Bumrungrad site is still correct with regard to Dr. Narin’s clinic times. He definitely has a clinic on Mondays. To find out about clinic times you can phone Bumrungrad at 02 667 1000 and ask for the Horizon Cancer Clinic. The other scan an oncologist might want is a PET scan. PET scanners came to Bangkok about a year ago. Before that, patients went to HK or S’pore.

Re:Dr. Narin Voravud

Medical Oncology

Chief, Division of Medical Oncology, Chulalongkorn University

Certificate of Radiation Safety, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK

Certificate in Clinical Oncology, American Cancer Society, USA

Fellowship in Clinical Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA

Your reply to Viking about that poor Irishman and the LBs gave us a good laugh.

Good luck and God bless.

It is going to a very long couple of days, but qu’est sera sera I guess... :D

Yes, it will be a long 2 days. Do you have someone close to share them with you? It is good that you have decided on another opinion at Bumrungrad. You perhaps have already decided which oncologist to see, if yours does turn out to be a case for an oncologist. When I needed an oncologist Dr Irene (excellent GP) at BNH in Bangkok said Dr Narin is the best. Below is info found on the internet that isn’t on the info given on the Bumrungrad site. I am not sure if the info given on Bumrungrad site is still correct with regard to Dr. Narin’s clinic times. He definitely has a clinic on Mondays. To find out about clinic times you can phone Bumrungrad at 02 667 1000 and ask for the Horizon Cancer Clinic. The other scan an oncologist might want is a PET scan. PET scanners came to Bangkok about a year ago. Before that, patients went to HK or S’pore.

Re:Dr. Narin Voravud

Medical Oncology

Chief, Division of Medical Oncology, Chulalongkorn University

Certificate of Radiation Safety, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK

Certificate in Clinical Oncology, American Cancer Society, USA

Fellowship in Clinical Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA

Your reply to Viking about that poor Irishman and the LBs gave us a good laugh.

Good luck and God bless.

Hi and thanks yet again, Roamin. :D

I have already Googled Dr Narin; he will be my first port of call.

I am actually very lucky as my girlfriend has been a stalwart, an absolute diamond.

She knows I tend to play down this sort of thing, but she can read me like a book.

Yes I am concerned, but to be absolutely honest I am more concerned about those I care for, not myself.

Since this episode started, she has been quietly observing and caringly but not overtly attentive, not fussing. It is as if I had scripted the way in which I would have liked her to respond.

I felt quite humbled this afternoon when she came home and gave me three sniff kisses.

She never does that as a rule, a full on 'smacker' is her norm, although I did get one of those too... :D

I am also lucky to have some solid mates in whom I can confide.

They have been great, superb in fact.

It is at a time like this you see the true character of those you call friends, as their behaviour confirms what you already hoped you knew.

It is also refreshing to witness perfect strangers going out of their way to be supportive by volunteering excellent advice.

I really do appreciate it; words are not enough to express my thoughts or convey my thanks.

Hopefully, a quick post on Friday afternoon will take the edge off all of this, but another day or so will have to pass before that may or may not happen.

No, I am not going soft, I am just truly humbled to have it confirmed that there are some really decent people in this world.

I feel privileged, I really do.

Thanks. :o

Or maybe your friend was and got confused. Not having been there, I don't know.

Peter

Noel,

Peter

Maybe she was having a bad day when she told my friend he was constipated and prescribed enemas. A month later he was diagnosed at a BKK hospital with advanced gastric cancer.

• 2 weeks later...

An active Prostate Cancer hit me Nov 2005. I was messed about at Pattaya Bangkok which i used to swear by for check ups over 6 years and general doctors visits. Advice was to operate and remove the Prostate.

Went to Pattaya International for Biopsy but had no confidence in the second opinion but they could not do radiation in any case! Heard horror story about Patient collecting his radio isotope from Bkk himself! Very noisy overnight with beer bars now on site it seems. Lost faith in both Pattaya Hospitals. Took all records to Bkk.

Went to Bumrungrad in Bangkok in three days i had all tests again plus CT Scan and Bone Tests and the fully explained treatment started. The Doctor was called back in on Friday late afternoon to do this. Operation not possible as cancer had spread to other parts of body, he even showed it to me on monitors. Radiation and Hormone treatment in progress. Full of confidence that Cancer has been stopped and in the Doctors at the Horizon Centre Bumrungrad. Expensive but by far the best.

Now seeking cheaper regular and expensive medication, 45000 baht per month, at Fascino Pharmacy North Pattaya Road Pattaya or Queen Sirikit Hospital Sattahip. No Insurance but the bill will be near to one million baht in first year, but I am alive and well.

Edited by Boxer

An active Prostate Cancer hit me Nov 2005. I was messed about at Pattaya Bangkok which i used to swear by for check ups over 6 years and general doctors visits. Advice was to operate and remove the Prostate.

Went to Pattaya International for Biopsy but had no confidence in the second opinion but they could not do radiation in any case! Heard horror story about Patient collecting his radio isotope from Bkk himself! Very noisy overnight with beer bars now on site it seems. Lost faith in both Pattaya Hospitals. Took all records to Bkk.

Went to Bumrungrad in Bangkok in three days i had all tests again plus CT Scan and Bone Tests and the fully explained treatment started. The Doctor was called back in on Friday late afternoon to do this. Operation not possible as cancer had spread to other parts of body, he even showed it to me on monitors. Radiation and Hormone treatment in progress. Full of confidence that Cancer has been stopped and in the Doctors at the Horizon Centre Bumrungrad. Expensive but by far the best.

Now seeking cheaper regular and expensive medication, 45000 baht per month, at Fascino Pharmacy North Pattaya Road Pattaya or Queen Sirikit Hospital Sattahip. No Insurance but the bill will be near to one million baht in first year, but I am alive and well.

So glad to hear that you are feeling good. Yes, its good when radiologist will sit at monitors with you and explain everything - you get a clear picture of what you are fighting. Am also hearing good things about Fascino Pharmacy. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Good luck.

Anyone hear anything from Noel? He is very much in my thoughts.

Bangkok Post had ad yesterday for Wattanosoth Hospital which calls itself 'Thailand's dedicated cancer hospital." Anybody have experience of this hospital?