Nong Khai

I'm a Canadian residing/working in China.

Last July, I flew to Thailand, entered at BKK on a 30-day via waiver. After a week I flew up to Udon Thani, got on the minibus/shuttle, and exited Thailand overland at Nong Khai to spent five days in Laos. After five days in Laos I entered Thailand again overland at Nong Khai and was given another 30-day visa waiver.

Everything I've read says one only gets a 15-day visa waiver when entering Thailand overland. Is Nong Khai somehow different than other overland entry points? Why did I get 30 days last July?

Next January, I want to fly from China to Laos, spend some time there, enter Thailand overland at Nong Khai and spend four weeks in Thailand. Will Thai Immigration at Nong Khai give me a 30-day visa waiver... or am I taking a chance I will only get 15 days?

It has been introduced 11/2013 but nobody bothers updating websites.

Yeah... when I 'Google' Thailand Immigration G7 visa waiver, there is a plethora of information confirming what you said. However, on the official Thai Immigration Bureau website (where I was looking) there is nothing about the G7 30-day 'land' rule.

They don't bother either. Have changed more rules on 29/8 and not published these.

I don't know how China is, but this is Thailand.

What are the changes of 29/8?

I've been to Thailand many times and know the rules can be somewhat 'flexible'. However, it's nothing compared to China - where all: laws, rules & regulations are open to interpretation (in the good of 'the people' i.e. his wallet) by a bureaucrat, official or the police.

EDIT: Because all the rules in China are so flexible, Immigration, embassies & consulates don't really publish anything (or it's extremely vague)... and you are required to deal with the overseas Chinese 'travel mafia' to get a visa.

Edited by cruisemonkey

I've been to Thailand many times and know the rules can be somewhat 'flexible'. However, it's nothing compared to China - where all: laws, rules & regulations are open to interpretation (in the good of 'the people' i.e. his wallet) by a bureaucrat, official or the police.

EDIT: Because all the rules in China are so flexible, Immigration, embassies & consulates don't really publish anything (or it's extremely vague)... and you are required to deal with the overseas Chinese 'travel mafia' to get a visa.

Oh! Then Thailand is better smile.png

It has been introduced 11/2013 but nobody bothers updating websites.

Yeah... when I 'Google' Thailand Immigration G7 visa waiver, there is a plethora of information confirming what you said. However, on the official Thai Immigration Bureau website (where I was looking) there is nothing about the G7 30-day 'land' rule.

I am a US citizen and in November 2013 I did make a land border crossing run from Bangkok to Poi Pet with bankgkok Buddy travel service literally the week after the rules were changed. I did that just because I could get the 30 day visa exemption. There was a directive, pollicy letter or something like that. There are posts on this site about that.