Taxi fares poised to be raised by December: Thailand

webfact

Taxi fares poised to be raised by December

BANGKOK, 7 October 2014 (NNT) - Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong revealed that the ministry is set to adjust the taxi fare system by the end of this week.

ACM Prajin has also invited taxi operators to a meeting in order to create understanding and reach mutual agreement about the new fare rates, which is expected to be applied by December of this year.

He said that should the taxi operators accept the condition to improve the quality of service, it would take the ministry approximately 45 days to inspect every taxi vehicle in service.

ACM Prajin stated that the fares would be priced more relatively according to the distance and to help taxi operators earn an income of more than 300 baht per day.

Taxi drivers will be also required to improve their driving etiquette in order to meet the safety standards and ensure that their vehicles are clean enough for servicing passengers as well. If they pass the inspection test, then a sticker will be issued and placed on their vehicles.

Meanwhile, Deputy Transport Minister Mr. Akom Termpittayapaisit declared that a new meter system would also be put in place based on four factors.

Those factors include the cost of capital for taxi operators, taxi drivers’ income levels, consumer expenses, and quality of service.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-07 footer_n.gif

Sunday at mbk they refused to pick up people unless they pay a flat rate. They wanted 200 baht for a trip that cost me 68 baht. To hell given them a raise. It seems to be getting worst and worst. Even when they get a pay rate they will continue doing the same crap.

• Like 2

Sunday at mbk they refused to pick up people unless they pay a flat rate. They wanted 200 baht for a trip that cost me 68 baht. To hell given them a raise. It seems to be getting worst and worst. Even when they get a pay rate they will continue doing the same crap.

I guess it was a remnant of the taxi "strike" for demanding the raise in fares. It's at least been reported to some extent.

Taxi services poised to be improved by ...... never?

Yes, in some areas and about 75% of the drivers are ok to good, but the remaining are bad to very bad. Try to get a ride in the rain with 2 young kids. Impossible! Rude behavior, not taking passengers etc. etc. As said 75% is ok, but 25% of the total of thousands of taxis makes a lot of bad taxis!

Next time get their taxi driver number and report them They will be fined for it

• Like 1

Hey Mango, those central Bangkok taxi drivers are pro Red Shirt. Your people. Just trying to get a fair share like YL promised them. You should be happy.

• Like 2

And that's when you pull out your phone take a photo of their taxi with their ID number, report it and they get slapped with a 1,000 baht fine.

• Like 1

And that's when you pull out your phone take a photo of their taxi with their ID number, report it and they get slapped with a 1,000 baht fine.

And you may very well end up in the hospital if you are lucky (dead if unlucky).... a threat to their livelihood could evoke a response you are not prepared for -- like having the s*** kicked out of you by a small mob of taxi drivers or mafia.

• Like 2

"If they pass the inspection test, then a sticker will be issued and placed on their vehicles."

And if they fail?

Then the car is impounded until repairs are made to bring it up to safety standards (i.e. loss of license plates, suspension of taxi license).

• Like 1

TAXI
New system for taxi fare to be discussed with drivers

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister Prajin Juntong revealed Tuesday that the ministry will set the new taxi fare system by the end of this week.

He has also invited taxi operators to a meeting in order to create understanding and reach mutual agreement about the new fare rates, which are expected to be applied by December.

He said that assuming the taxi operators accepted the conditions to improve the quality of service, the ministry would need approximately 45 days to inspect every vehicle in service. ACM Prajin stated that the fares would be priced more relatively based on distance and help taxi operators earn more than Bt300 per day.

Taxi drivers will be required to improve their driving etiquette in order to meet the safety standards and ensure that their vehicles are clean enough for servicing passengers as well. If they pass the inspection test, then a sticker will be issued and placed on their vehicles.

Meanwhile, Deputy Transport Minister Akom Termpittayapaisit declared that a new meter system would also be put in place based on four factors. Those factors include the cost of capital for taxi operators, taxi drivers' income levels, consumer expenses, and quality of service.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/New-system-for-taxi-fare-to-be-discussed-with-driv-30244928.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-07

Hey Mango, those central Bangkok taxi drivers are pro Red Shirt. Your people. Just trying to get a fair share like YL promised them. You should be happy.

Your people. Uh, this is Thailand. Thais aren't named Bob, zydeco, or discoduck or anything like that.

You still have Yingluk brain syndrome -- without Yingluk to whinge about your keyboard consciousness has no brain.

I have never given a Taxi Driver less that 100THB, but if they ask for 100 before I get in the taxi, I tell them to bug off and try not to slam the door.

I understand some of the drivers pay 600THB a day to rent their taxi, do not know if true. Actually starting at 35THB on the meter is a good deal try a taxi in NYC, Tokyo or Washington.

I do not like a dirty taxi or one with the loud muffler. When I was a kid I liked the Glass Packs we had, nice low rumble !!

Edited by gchurch259

"If they pass the inspection test, then a sticker will be issued and placed on their vehicles."

And if they fail?

Then the car is impounded until repairs are made to bring it up to safety standards (i.e. loss of license plates, suspension of taxi license).

Keep dreaming!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That was really a stupid remark to make.

This will only work if they enforce the meters, which they don't seem to do. I was in Bangkok for the weekend. Not one cab would use the meter, until I was leaving town. The hotel called a cab for me on the condition that they use their meter, and the driver was excellent. I don't mind giving a nice tip, I just don't want it demanded before the trip. Seems reasonable. doesn't it? I hate the flat rates.

• Like 1

Compared to many cities in the world ,with Bangkok taxi's starting at 35 baht it's really cheap.Whats that $1.10 We are getting A huge discount.I believe the meter needs to go faster than it does during traffic jams.I mean no wonder the taxi driver doesn't want to except A fair during rush hour when it's raining.

I feel for them.They are only trying to make A living and take care of their family.Im all for higher taxi rates.

If Ya don't like it take the BTS.

i never have any problem with taxi in bangkok, i took taxi alot off times, 95% off the taxis i take use the meter, only place i have trouble with taxi was in kuala lumpur where they neve never never use the meter, they will rip you off. Bangkok taxi is good.

• Like 1

There are some really good taxi drivers out there, so I'm not going tar them all with the same brush because if the knobs that refuse fares, or try and get flat rates. The 35 baht IMO us to low, and should be raised, I had this discussion with a driver on Saturday. Realistically 50 or 55 would be a fair starting point.

i never have any problem with taxi in bangkok, i took taxi alot off times, 95% off the taxis i take use the meter, only place i have trouble with taxi was in kuala lumpur where they neve never never use the meter, they will rip you off. Bangkok taxi is good.

In KL you are supposed to negotiate the price with taxi drivers BEFORE you get in the cab.

And if they fail?

Where does it say that in the story?

Ah, wait, sarcasm radar just kicked in.

Got it.

Edited by Bluespunk