It is about time restaurants should change their habits.

Costas2008

A good Chef understands the time it takes to cook different foods and can serve dish at the same time, George Orwell in his book Down and out in London and Paris writes about working in the kitchens of Paris restaurants.

Thai restaurants don't have the same attitude towards occupied tables, during peak periods you need to get people served quickly and free the table up for the next group of customers. During the lunch hour in London, slow service can break a restaurant.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fuji has an open kitchen with the tickets from a computer coming up at different parts of the line, cold hot and so on. They still can't serve the appetizer first. I'm assuming the computer acts as an timing mechanism to prevent the appetizer coming with the dessert but it doesn't work. It is a great job opportunity for some enterprising programmer to fix the system.

the system is called Micros and the software works fine but you need somebody who knows how to use it and somebody in the kitchen how to read/ interpret it and....a DIRECTOR

Ya I agree. But that is either too complicated or too expensive. If the ticket printer would print out tickets when the items should be cooked it would solve the problem.

the printer/ system can provide the informations you've suggested.but as i stated before you need somebody with training/common sense/ brain to do the input and another one to understand/handle the output.

got my point?

dam'n i am negative today- no i am, not just realistic!

No I don't think so. It's not that complicated. Any combination of menu items can be figured and timed. I'm not a programmer but if they can launch rockets with play station a 100 item menu should not be too tough to figure. If a computer can play chess it must certainly be able to time a 100 item menu.

yeah! I think youre in the wrong country pal!

Terminal 21 SAnta FE sometimes bring the soup and salad after the main course. @ first i got upset then came to the conclusion NEVERMIND- it is what it is as i saw it happening to other thai customers too.

They really got good corn soup and their prices are ridicuously low!

The weirdest thing here is that people drink from straws, every time i order a drink I have to throw the straw away as I'm not used to it.

has something to do with washing the glasses all in the same dirty water. After the first infection on the lip you'll use the straws as well.

A good Chef understands the time it takes to cook different foods and can serve dish at the same time, George Orwell in his book Down and out in London and Paris writes about working in the kitchens of Paris restaurants.

Thai restaurants don't have the same attitude towards occupied tables, during peak periods you need to get people served quickly and free the table up for the next group of customers. During the lunch hour in London, slow service can break a restaurant.

I heard that restaurants have huge problems to find good Chefs. And if there is one he'll open a own restaurant instead working there.

The weirdest thing here is that people drink from straws, every time i order a drink I have to throw the straw away as I'm not used to it.

has something to do with washing the glasses all in the same dirty water. After the first infection on the lip you'll use the straws as well.

Considering the lifestyle of many expats here, I don't think they can blame a dirty glass when they get an infection on the lips.

• Like 1

I have noticed this with all restaurants in Thailand.They don't bring out all the food at the same time.I really don't like it when my food comes 1st and then it's 10-20 minutes later before the rest of the food comes out.So now when I order I say bring out all the

Food at the same time.Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

• Like 1

I don't try to figure it out ... I just cook my own food... It would seem the french fries were being treated as an appetizer ... which when brought first would not be unusual ...

I gave up Thai food after many months of trying - I could never communicate that I didn't want hot spicy food.. (even when I know I used the correct Thai words - or my Thai friends did) ... and when they have no idea that an allergy to shrimp (which comes as a surprise in many dishes) - that when I accidentally eat shrimp I can easily go into anaphylactic shock which can easily cause my death... So I gave up...

By the way ... I am from Texas but do not enjoy hot spicy Tex-Mex food.. because most of the time the spicy stuff is on a side dish and I can avoid it and not eat the spicy stuff... but in Thailand I cannot get it understood - they think I am just an ass for not liking THAI FOOD.. which to many means lots of hot spice.. so I give up... And please do not tell me I should have to like hot spicy food... it just does not work for me.

Maybe some day ... I will learn to communicate that a non spicy fried rice dish with vegetables only is good and I would like some IF only you would deliver it to my table that way... And no I am not going to eat pork that has been blown by flies and gone unrefrigerated for two days... I do not like food poisoning ... A good grilled chicken is great if you give me (for my money) a half chicken with breast meat and other parts ... but no - I do not want the grilled chicken that is a leg, a wing, and something else.

Do you also go to Germany and ask for British ale or that Greek stuff that smells and tastes like turpentine? I am constantly amazed at the people who leave home but should have stayed home.

My gosh if you want stuff like french fries go someplace that knows how to serve them. I have Eskimo friends and they eat a lot of seal and whale. However they don't spend all day carping about no seal or whale meat at MK's.

Nikuya Japanese Bbq Buffet has great beef and pork and salmon and salads and sushi and ice cream. You can get it yourself so if you want the ice cream first (or a sherbet shrub) before your BBQ Beef you can do that For your health or palate there is nothing quite as bad as french fries except perhaps French Canadian French Fries called Poutain. Many people have heart attacks just looking at a photo of poutain so I won't include one.

its called poutine

• Like 1

If i had a restaurant in my country and it was frequented by thais, i would for sure observe and listen to them how, in which order, if applicable, according to their customs, they want their food served. If i would do it according to their wishes they would come back and inform their friends to go to my restaurant because i am a guy who understands and complies to their wishes/customs.

To do it otherwise is just plain bad businessacumen.

But maybe, for all the defenders, thai restaurantowners just dont like to make, more, money.

• Like 2

If i had a restaurant in my country and it was frequented by thais, i would for sure observe and listen to them how, in which order, if applicable, according to their customs, they want their food served. If i would do it according to their wishes they would come back and inform their friends to go to my restaurant because i am a guy who understands and complies to their wishes/customs.

But maybe, for all the defenders, thai restaurantowners just dont like to make, more, money.

I think the thai government should hire you as a restaurant consultant to get this country on the right track. they dont seem to realize what an asset they have and how quickly they could become a first world country!!

• Like 1

I think the thai government should hire you as a restaurant consultant to get this country on the right track. they dont seem to realize what an asset they have and how quickly they could become a first world country!!
Wooowwww, its the very 1st time i have seen you posted something critical about Thailand.....that they are on the wrong track.

I had to reread it twice......

Edited by benalibina

Wooowwww, its the very 1st time i have seen you posted something critical about Thailand.....that they are on the wrong track.

youre trying to read it twice? oh sorry, in that case i'll check back in an hour or so when youre finished

youre trying to read it twice? oh sorry, in that case i'll check back in an hour or so when youre finished

Had.

The cultural arrogance of this thread is amazing. Summary: "This is the way it is done in my country, it is the right way, Thailand must change their way for me, if they don't do it they will never advance to being a first world country".

If you have that attitude -- you really should never leave the country where it is "done right"....

i assume it is tougher to feel superior in their home countries.

• Like 1

Stay calm, keep smiling and remain polite, but never go back. Voting with our feet (and wallets) is the only power we have over here. Of course most of these businesses won't miss you and won't understand why you don't go back, but you can get satisfaction from giving your money to someone who deserves it.

Do you also go to Germany and ask for British ale or that Greek stuff that smells and tastes like turpentine? I am constantly amazed at the people who leave home but should have stayed home.

My gosh if you want stuff like french fries go someplace that knows how to serve them. I have Eskimo friends and they eat a lot of seal and whale. However they don't spend all day carping about no seal or whale meat at MK's.

Nikuya Japanese Bbq Buffet has great beef and pork and salmon and salads and sushi and ice cream. You can get it yourself so if you want the ice cream first (or a sherbet shrub) before your BBQ Beef you can do that For your health or palate there is nothing quite as bad as french fries except perhaps French Canadian French Fries called Poutain. Many people have heart attacks just looking at a photo of poutain so I won't include one.

its called poutine

looks like he wanted to call it 'putain', but that's a different dish altogether...wink.png

its called poutine

looks like he wanted to call it 'putain', but that's a different dish altogether...wink.png

never heard of it