Thai justice in spotlight over cracks in Koh Tao case

webfact

I thought they had some of the original samples tested in Singapore. If so I would like the suspects DNA to be tested

and checked against the original samples. Why would police not do this to put an end to the rampant speculation.

If they are telling the truth of course. coffee1.gif

I could be completely wrong and will be happy to be corrected but I don't think anything was sent to Singapore.

I can only remember the BIB making 3 statements about testing,

1 ) we may call in the FBI

2 ) no, the samples will go to Singapore for testing, then

3 ) no, it can all be done locally.

i will be happy if anyone can clarify the Singapore aspect.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All DNA tests and verifications should be listed.

Is Chiang Mai University a credible source?

At this stage of the circus, - the only thing that would satisfy all ... is a very credible, neutral investigation body to verify the evidence.

If the Thai Government had such REAL evidence... it would seek such verification... just to show the outside world that it had good and honorable character.

But again, - it cannot or will not.

Thailand. This time - you may lose your tourism $$$$$ .

If you are so arrogant ... then so be it.

They wont lose anything,tourists are a resilient bunch with short memories,in one month all will be forgotten

Unfortunately true dat.

Just think about the handling of Tsunami in '04, took 'em a good 13hrs to chopper in 'first' aid to Khao Lak for instance.

Bali bombings ('02 plus '05) didn't affect tourism a lot (longer), neither did Egypts 'Luxor Massacre' in 1997.

Just some examples, list could go on of course ...

A modern police force can not use boiling water, beatings and electric shocks as interrogation tools, shame on you RTP.

But injections of rohypnol to facilitate confessions and pliant behaviour at police re-enactments, while blurring memories of 'safe house' interrogation sessions, are part of the legitimate hi-tech crime busting arsenal of every modern police force.

Yes I wouldn't go with boiling water. Far to visible.

jb1

Pol Maj Gen Suwat, Assistant Bangkok Metropolitan Commissioner, who earlier declared on Channel 3 that DNA samples couldn't be taken from a Thai person of interest in Bangkok due to concerns for human rights, has now said that DNA from the inside of the condom which has Hannah's DNA on the outside, cannot be detected because it must have been 'cleaned out'. It seems unlikely that whoever used the condom could have had the presence of mind to wash it out in the sea and then throw it done carefully on the beach to be found by investigators. At any rate it would have been difficult to wash out only the inside in the sea, while leaving Hannah's DNA intact on the outside. Hence whatever cleansing of the inside took place must have happened after it was picked up by police investigators. At any rate, it seems more than likely that more sophisticated labs abroad would be able to detect minute levels of DNA left after the cleansing procedure.

Please send the condom to the FBI for analysis without delay.

Edited by Dogmatix

A modern police force can not use boiling water, beatings and electric shocks as interrogation tools, shame on you RTP.

But injections of rohypnol to facilitate confessions and pliant behaviour at police re-enactments, while blurring memories of 'safe house' interrogation sessions, are part of the legitimate hi-tech crime busting arsenal of every modern police force.

Yes I wouldn't go with boiling water. Far to visible.

jb1

Yes, but the old habits of Thai police die hard. Most likely they don't trust new technology by itself but go for a belt and braces policy.

The much more worrying thing is, if these are the wrong men who are going to be prosecuted, that the upper ranks of the RTP and even the PM would be in very hot water after all the statements they've made. This would cause damage way beyond tourism.

I hope i'm wrong but i don't see this going to trial. I suspect there will be a Guilty plea possibly on ' advice ' they will be spared to death penalty which means the witnesses and evidence will never be tested in court as there seems more than enough room for a half decent defence lawyer to plead a very good case and raise substantial reasonable doubt..

The courts here are not the same as the ones in the westerbn world where even there people have been found guilty based on th evidence when in fact they were innocent.

I really liked this part of the article

Such high-profile cases always attract sceptical observers

In Thailand any police investigation high profile or no profile attracts the police condemners. Got nothing to do with the case just another chance to slam the police.

Also the only reason it is high profile is the news papers keep publishing articles about it. I wonder how big a splash it has made in the English news papers and is it an every day article such as we get here in Thailand.

Is any one aware of the day to day news in England. I am sure they have some comparable to Thai Visa forums that will keep it alive but is the news papers reporting on it in a negative manner every day or have they just excepted it is a solved case?

If they were given dodgy samples, it doesn't matter how credible they are.

It is the credibility of the police that is at question here.

Like it or not, OJ got off mainly because of the doubt cast by the defence on the credibility of DNA evidence, and that is pretty well all they have in this case,

I urge you to exercise extreme caution in what you call or describe the government as.

Zero tolerance.

Posts deleted & suspensions issued.

Any further post will be deleted without any notice & lengthy suspensions given.

I urge you to exercise extreme caution in what you call or describe the government as.

Zero tolerance.

Posts deleted & suspensions issued.

Any further post will be deleted without any notice & lengthy suspensions given.

what you call or describe the government as.

does this include police?

The country is under Martial Law and the P.M has to step in and see how his people are making Thailand look like the biggest idiots to ever step onto the planet. The current government is making Thailand the laughing stock of the world. The P.M means we'll but as a soldier is destroying Thailand in the eyes of the world

They wont lose anything,tourists are a resilient bunch with short memories,in one month all will be forgotten

Unfortunately true dat.

Just think about the handling of Tsunami in '04, took 'em a good 13hrs to chopper in 'first' aid to Khao Lak for instance.

Bali bombings ('02 plus '05) didn't affect tourism a lot (longer), neither did Egypts 'Luxor Massacre' in 1997.

Just some examples, list could go on of course ...

Also remember the exemplary professionalism of Thai police in stealing most of the money donated from abroad for Tsunami victims. An open letter signed by 26 ambassadors to Thailand durging the government to get the police to return the money had absolutely no impact.

... lovely people, no question 'bout that. Would give one a pretty hard time to get much lower.

Mind you didn't grab it for themselves tough, all for the widows & orphans, plus some donations for temples i'm positive ...

Fuels even with myself some hope of Karma truly existing & being a real nasty biatch ...

Edited by jollyhangmon

Not in Scandinavia where I come from. 50 years ago there were cases of people been beaten up during interrogations by the police, but not these days. If you catch a burglar red-handed in your own home and try to defend yourself and your family you can face a jail sentence if you hurt the thief!!!

Not in Scandinavia where I come from. 50 years ago there were cases of people been beaten up during interrogations by the police, but not these days. If you catch a burglar red-handed in your own home and try to defend yourself and your family you can face a jail sentence if you hurt the thief!!!

Dogooders going too far

• Like 1

Dogooders going too far

The Nation could demand an open public investigation into the handling of this case by the police since the very beginning, name and shame, that would be a start.

Or, the CID could investigate who runs the drug trade in those islands and see if any of those characters have submitted DNA. Seems a likely place to start when looking for shady, wealthy individuals with enough scratch to bribe the upper ranks and keep locals in fear.

CSI LA now seems to be working on the alibi of the 'person of interest' in Bangkok. He posted this on his FB page, "My girlfriend's friend is studying at Bangkok University. The suspect came to school on Sept 16th. She saw that he had scratch marks on his neck and arms."

CSI LA now seems to be working on the alibi of the 'person of interest' in Bangkok. He posted this on his FB page, "My girlfriend's friend is studying at Bangkok University. The suspect came to school on Sept 16th. She saw that he had scratch marks on his neck and arms."

too scared to report to police?

surely there must be sightings of the guy or is everyone too scared?

i couldnt live with myself if 2 innocent human beings were given the death penalty due to me not mentioning something that could have helped them

are you listening Sean?

• Like 1

The much more worrying thing is, if these are the wrong men who are going to be prosecuted, that the upper ranks of the RTP and even the PM would be in very hot water after all the statements they've made. This would cause damage way beyond tourism.

This is why they will find them guilty at all costs...to save more than face...but we the people cannot let them prosecute innocent people to be set-up as scapegoats...

How do you know they used boiling water? Show me the evidence!

At this stage of the circus, - the only thing that would satisfy all ... is a very credible, neutral investigation body to verify the evidence.

If the Thai Government had such REAL evidence... it would seek such verification... just to show the outside world that it had good and honorable character.

But again, - it cannot or will not.

Thailand. This time - you may lose your tourism $$$$$ .

If you are so arrogant ... then so be it.

Not this time bud...we're not letting go of this one. Too much at stake here...

How do you know they used boiling water? Show me the evidence!

So you did not see the pictures of the 3 Burmese that were tortured with boiling water? It was on one of the TV threads this week if you missed it, search you will find it.